A scenario I think has not been discussed

Big Snell

If the Jets go 0-16 (and they look like they should), what is the possibility that they get the first pick, but roll with Sam and trade the pick for a haul and get some talent on both sides of the ball ? It's not a stretch, and one young quarterback ,as we have already seen, is not saving this team. We need an infusion of young talent . A lot of young talent. We need players everywhere on the field ,as yesterday and the previous week have shown. Imagine what this roster might look like with 4 first rounders and a bunch of high draft picks in the coming drafts. With some talent besides Crowder, I think Sam can  be the quarterback we saw that almost out-dueled Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago. This is how I hope it goes down. Now discuss..........

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

If the Jets go 0-16 (and they look like they should), what is the possibility that they get the first pick, but roll with Sam and trade the pick for a haul and get some talent on both sides of the ball ? It's not a stretch, and one young quarterback ,as we have already seen, is not saving this team. We need an infusion of young talent . A lot of young talent. We need players everywhere on the field ,as yesterday and the previous week have shown. Imagine what this roster might look like with 4 first rounders and a bunch of high draft picks in the coming drafts. With some talent besides Crowder, I think Sam can  be the quarterback we saw that almost out-dueled Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago. This is how I hope it goes down. Now discuss..........

Depending on the size of the haul, I totally agree

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

this has been discussd quite a bit.  imo, if lawrence is a generational talent, the jets will need to take him.  hopefully he'll declare and not pull an elllway and force a trade.  but even if he does, he'll be enough of an asset that the jets will be able to recoup the pick.  and if they pick him and he joins the team then it has to be all about lawrence going forward.  trade darnold , bring in a vet, like flacco.

Of course it depends of how much of a haul but Douglas should have a lot of cap space and then there are the picks he has accumulated. Plus I'm not to sure what Sam will bring in a trade I wouldn't underestimate his value. Some GM's will look at the situation Sam has been put in and also there will be a comparison to Ryan Tannehill and the escape from Gase factor. A third rounder or low second is way too low an estimate of his trade value, someone will have hot nuts for Sam.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This is a scenario that hasn’t been discussed yet? Lol you been living under a rock? It’s literally the only scenario being discussed amongst Jets fans right now. 

And there’s no shot the Jets pass up on Lawrence and hand Sam a contract for $25m a year. JD will rebuild with the rookie QB contract. Hopefully Sam can net them a 1st round pick in a trade 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is an amazing scenario.

SAR I

This is why I said I don't think it was discussed. No,I don't live under a rock, I just don't open this site every 5 seconds to see if anything has changed. Also the reason why I don't post very often. You get condescending answers from people. Is it all the losing that gets you this way or do you just need more fiber in your diet ?

• Haha 1

If Joe Douglas doesn't do something BIG, that stadium will be EMPTY next year, people will drop their season tickets like houses during the housing crisis. I can't even tell you how lucky they are that there are no fans in the stadium this year. It would have been BRUTAL!!!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

There are 9 teams with 1 win and 3 with 2. Sam is good enough to win us a few games once Behcton, Mims, Perriman and Perrine are on the same page.  The Jets getting the #1 pick is far from a lock

It's just that our schedule is tougher than the teams that are already behind us. You can win 3 games this year and still get the top pick. I also think that money is a huge reason why you have to go with TL if we are there. He will be on a rookie contract and we'll have a ton of pieces immediately around him with our cash and all of our picks. We can quickly build a strong offensive line with another top player and a good receiving corp with another receiver drafted high. Next year we will have Crowder, Mims, high pick, top signed receiver in FA, another O-lineman or two and some cornerback help and possibly a pass rusher. It's all possible in the offseason. And most importantly, a new coach.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

This is why I said I don't think it was discussed. No,I don't live under a rock, I just don't open this site every 5 seconds to see if anything has changed. Also the reason why I don't post very often. You get condescending answers from people. Is it all the losing that gets you this way or do you just need more fiber in your diet ?

Please tell me you are making a video.  Of the scenario.

SAR I

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

The problem is that you aren't discussing so much as fantasizing in the first place so people's options for interacting with you are somewhat limited.

1 hour ago, Big Snell said:

Not a good plan, IMHO.  QB is everything.  If you have a chance at Trevor Lawrence, you go for it and never look back.  

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If Joe Douglas doesn't do something BIG, that stadium will be EMPTY next year, people will drop their season tickets like houses during the housing crisis. I can't even tell you how lucky they are that there are no fans in the stadium this year. It would have been BRUTAL!!!

This is why Lawrence is a lock if the Jets have 1-1.

Nothing puts people in the seats of a losing team more than the hope of a franchise QB.

But, it's the hope that kills you.

I’ve discussed this with myself many times & keep going back and forth on it.. I’m at a place where I legitimately do not have a clear cut answer to what the Jets should do. So many reasons for both sides of the argument. However 1 thing I am clear on is that Gase needs to go. Immediately

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

I "STAND WITH SNELL" 

Give the new guy a break. I see where you're coming from BS..... We have 2 First Round picks this draft and next. Justin Fields is close to being an equally ranked 1st round talent. Do you let Jacksonville trade up and receive additional Draft capital and load up your team with Fields and a plethora of offensive talent?

It's a conversation that Douglas will be having with our new Head Coach at the end of the season!! 

Snell & Boozer 4Ever!!:wub:

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There haven't been fans in the stadium for the past three years...

Johnsons dont care, its all about the TV money

If you get the #1 pick you take Lawrence and you don't look back. There's nothing to think about. You take the "generational prospect" 10 times out of 10. We already are building a nice collection of assets to use to build the team around him. I have a feeling you will see more vets traded in the coming weeks. 

However if we get pick 2 or lower I would trade down to get a boatload of picks and give Sam one more go around with a hopefully more talented group. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, carlito1171 said:

If you get the #1 pick you take Lawrence and you don't look back. There's nothing to think about. You take the "generational prospect" 10 times out of 10. We already are building a nice collection of assets to use to build the team around him. I have a feeling you will see more vets traded in the coming weeks. 

However if we get pick 2 or lower I would trade down to get a boatload of picks and give Sam one more go around with a hopefully more talented group. 

Its going to very annoying when Sam eventually develops into a really solid QB a few years down the road if he finds himself some competent coaching like with the Steelers per say, but I have to agree with this. I even think with a coaching change Sam could be salvaged here, but if you have the chance to take Lawrence I dont think you can pass it up.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

You don’t take those positions over a QB. In due time you fill out your roster 

My postion is we have a QB we can win with. He has no help from anyone. TE, WR,Rb and gets hamstrung by a rotten HC. No QB can overcome that. 

1 hour ago, Big Snell said:

It is a possibility as the Jets could get probably 3 firsts and more for Trevor Lawrence and the #1 pick:

Couple issues with that approach though:

1. If Lawrence really is the best QB prospect since Elway you really do not pass on that. (I am not sure he is, but he makes an awful lot of pro caliber throws and has no negative I can see -no mechancial issues, no turnover issues, no questions about his ability to process information)

2. If the Jets trade the pick then they have 6 first rounders roughly in 2 years. Even with the slotted system that is a lot of cap, and if we pick well it would be monumentally difficult to re-sign them all. Flip side if you do hit on all of them you could have a major run for several years.

3. Sam better be a FQB with better surrounding cast. I am very very pro Sam, but it is getting harder to be confident in that. Now Brees started worse and Tannehill recovered but neither of those are guaranteed.

Just now, genot said:

My postion is we have a QB we can win with. He has no help from anyone. TE, WR,Rb and gets hamstrung by a rotten HC. No QB can overcome that. 

Do we honestly know we can win with him? He turns the ball over a lot and is injured every year. What if they keep Sam and he continues to such meanwhile Lawrence turns into Peyton Manning 

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Do we honestly know we can win with him? He turns the ball over a lot and is injured every year. What if they keep Sam and he continues to such meanwhile Lawrence turns into Peyton Manning 

I think its worth the risk. Think of the haul we can get for that trade. Sam hasn't had stabilty since he's been here. Wide receivers he hasn't worked with much. A TE in Herndon who has took a dump this year. Changes on the oline every year.. A coach who wants him to be a drop back passer,which. Isn't playing to his strength. 

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

There are 9 teams with 1 win and 3 with 2. Sam is good enough to win us a few games once Behcton, Mims, Perriman and Perrine are on the same page.  The Jets getting the #1 pick is far from a lock

We are concerned with only 7 other teams as PHIL and CINN tied (which is like a win in draft order race).  Some of those 7 other teams have head to head matchups so somebody has to win. 

The number 1 pick is absolutely NO lock. The Jaguars might not win another game which means if we win just one game, we could lose out to Trevor to Jax via SOS tiebreaker. I fear Washington but hope they can win one more in their trash division. But I’m telling you, Jax is the team to watch. 

The Jets are not going 0-16. I wish that were the case but I doubt it. sh*t happens in NFL games. Injuries, bad calls, bad bounces.