Yesterday was a reminder: We STILL need 3-4 new OL

jetscrazey

55 minutes ago, David Harris said:

There will be a slew of right tackles and I OL in our Seattle first rounder and our second round are slots. Sign one free agent guard and the entire line is fixed.

There will be a slew of right tackles and I OL in our Seattle first rounder and our second round are slots. Sign one free agent guard and the entire line is fixed.

Anybody have the backstory on why Alex Lewis was benched yesterday?

Not sure how reliable it is but saw this...

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 4

Douglas' FA moves are an abominable disaster.He tried to catch lightning in a bottle with a discount budget. Instead, he got what he paid for. Best case scenario Douglas might be able to retain few of these players as depth for the OL. They are most definitely NOT starting quality.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

To me the OL has been average all year. Becton is very special but the rest of the OL has been ok. They don’t stand out to me as a bad unit 

Atleast someone telling truth. There even better when flacco is back there calling out the proper blitz protections. 

anyway i highly doubt where 3 new Olineman. Fant still under contract Hasnt been bad . McGovern deal is guaranteed next year he definitely gonna stay at center atleast one more year.  All this being said i would love too have trey smith next to becton

5 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Outside of Becton the whole o-line was garbage yesterday.  Sam was running for his life.  McGovern, Van Roten, and Lewis (who didn't play yesterday) are all JAGs and we need to draft premium talent to replace at least 1-2 of these guys in the first 3 rounds, then add another free agent on top of that.

I have no idea what you were watching yesterday man. There were plenty of strong pockets. Sam was looking shell shocked again.  But all of that said, we were down 2 starters. 

I think we are looking in the wrong place. While we need an upgrade, the improvement to the OL has been undeniable. We went from dead last to middle of the pack average the past 3-4 weeks..  Sounds about right. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Bad Coach.

Bad System.

Bad QB.

Bad Line.

With this much bad, it's hard to know who the REAL bads are sometimes.

Won’t stop Jets fans from trying to pinpoint one person, empathetic than recognizing the holistic nature of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Obviously Andy from Fantasy Index dot com knows more about OL play here then anybody here.  Especially his rankings from 1.5 months ago. 

How many more sources would you like?. Just Google oline rankings. Or better yet, look at how Darnold, Flacco, Bell, Gore, and the rest of the offense has done with an entirely new line built of cast-off and second or third level talent. Or just look at the drafting record outside of Becton. Or thefree agent acquisitions, only one of which was a starter and a better guard than he was a center. Or just watch a team with a good line. Ignore Andy from Fantasy Index. Find me a reason to believe this is not bottom 10, if not bottom 5 line in the league. 

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We definitely need at least two (probably three) new interior OL. 

But Sam was also bailing from clean pockets yesterday. 

This is where I am, I think you are looking at two new guards next year. And if they make big improvements there the line would be in good shape.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GreenFish said:

A lot probably falls on Sam who’s responsible for setting up the protection. The line plays better when Flacco is in there.

We were also playing our 3rd string T at RT. Fant and Edoga have been fine when they play.

We need a Center. That’ll kill 2 birds with one stone. It’ll allow McGovern to to play RG. Between Clark, Lewis and Van Rotten, we likely have our 2nd guard. But i won’t argue against needing another guard even after getting a center. 

The Ghost of Joe Flacco is outperforming Sam Darnold. Sam's toast and will likely never be good. Beginning of the year, I was still clinging to my pre-draft pie-in-the-sky upside to be Tony Romo. Now, it would be a miracle for him to become Andy Dalton. I stick to my initial most likely scenario comp of Mark Sanchez, although starting to think that's an insult to Mark.

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

**** protection.  I am so sick of that sh*t.  It's about time we stopped worrying about protecting people and started attacking.  You to that a bit and you see how quickly teams stop running cover 0.  Our offense has been on defense so long that I think people forget the definition of offense.  

Amazing what a decent QB can do for all facets of the offense -- weaponz and line alike.

11 hours ago, freestater said:

Alex Lewis -- correct sentiment, terrible timing. Gotta shoot your way outta town before the trade deadline, my guy.

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Won’t stop Jets fans from trying to pinpoint one person, empathetic than recognizing the holistic nature of it.

All while a substantial number of us refuse to put any of it on Darnold.

14 hours ago, freestater said:

The Incarcerated Bob Network?  Interesting and fishy in that Lewis is the one that stood up for Gase saying he had "mad respect" when Jamal was shooting his way out of town.  Lewis directly attacked Manish for saying Gase had issues in the locker room.  Maybe Incarcerated Bob's source is Manish.

Through his Instagam account, Lewis tagged Mehta, saying “Give up your sources.  You don’t speak for the locker room or myself.  You got no place in the locker room if you’re going to overgeneralize all players.  Manish, you are a poison to this team”.

https://www.jetnation.com/2020/06/25/alex-lewis-responds-to-manish-mehta-via-instagram/

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Incarcerated Bob Network?  Interesting and fishy in that Lewis is the one that stood up for Gase saying he had "mad respect" when Jamal was shooting his way out of town.  Lewis directly attacked Manish for saying Gase had issues in the locker room.  Maybe Incarcerated Bob's source is Manish.

Like I said, not sure how reliable. 

This however, did appear in the Post; 

Gase did not provide much more information on what is going on with guard Alex Lewis, who was inactive for Sunday’s game for a non-injury reason. Gase would only say it is being handled internally. Gase did deny a rumor that was floating around the internet that he and Lewis had a heated altercation.

“We had a conversation. I wouldn’t call it, I don’t know if it’s really a verbal altercation, but we had a conversation and right now, like I said, we’re handling it internally,” Gase said.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/30/jets-play-calling-controversy-takes-another-adam-gase-twist/

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, freestater said:

Like I said, not sure how reliable. 

This however, did appear in the Post; 

Yeah.  The response Gase gave to the benching was pretty cryptic.  I would have expected it to be related to covid or medical issues they shouldn't be divulging if it weren't for the "conversation" talk.  Lewis said "there is no issue" and he is preparing to play next week.  If the team were winning this would be celebrated as "holding players accountable" but they suck, so...

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  The response Gase gave to the benching was pretty cryptic.  I would have expected it to be related to covid or medical issues they shouldn't be divulging if it weren't for the "conversation" talk.  Lewis said "there is no issue" and he is preparing to play next week.  If the team were winning this would be celebrated as "holding players accountable" but they suck, so...

That player's replacement was a turnstile and on the team for a week. The week you bring your young, struggling QB back from an injury. The bad decisions seem to compound with Gase. 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, HessStation said:

Dude, I’ve seriously never seen someone bail so quick as consistently as Darnold.  They’re not great but not that bad either. I’d add one or two but it’s really not a blame the OL thing this year, unbelievably lol. So sad

I think he's got shell shock.  Our line has been very bad the last two years.  Even with a slight improvement, there are still moments of absolute jailbreak rushes.  He' been pretty beaten up by free rushers to boot.  Watching the Steelers tonight I was reminded of what a professional offensive line is supposed to look like and the Jets simply don't have one.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:31 PM, Beerfish said:

I was hoping clark would get into the line and do something to make one think he could be good this year.

This team has so many glaring holes all over the roster.

We should have about 6 picks in the top 100 next draft.   We need to use one on a Qb, I would have no issue at all of using two of those top 100 picks on oline, even though we have many other needs,

You have to err on the side of protection of the new Qb over all else.

What about packaging the Seahawks 1st rounder with the Jets pick at the top of the 2nd round to move up and draft Kyle Pitts?

Would you be fine with using 3 picks to get Trevor Lawrence and Kyle Pitts?

43 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

What about packaging the Seahawks 1st rounder with the Jets pick at the top of the 2nd round to move up and draft Kyle Pitts?

Nope.  Hey I like pitts a lot but i like devonta smith and the top Guard or center better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

If Pitts isn't there for the jets late 1st round pick, I think Pat Freiermuth from Penn State will be, and I like him better anyway.