Jump to content

Yesterday was a reminder: We STILL need 3-4 new OL


jetscrazey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Outside of Becton the whole o-line was garbage yesterday.  Sam was running for his life.  McGovern, Van Roten, and Lewis (who didn't play yesterday) are all JAGs and we need to draft premium talent to replace at least 1-2 of these guys in the first 3 rounds, then add another free agent on top of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was hoping clark would get into the line and do something to make one think he could be good this year.

This team has so many glaring holes all over the roster.

We should have about 6 picks in the top 100 next draft.   We need to use one on a Qb, I would have no issue at all of using two of those top 100 picks on oline, even though we have many other needs,

You have to err on the side of protection of the new Qb over all else.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Outside of Becton the whole o-line was garbage yesterday.  Sam was running for his life.  McGovern, Van Roten, and Lewis (who didn't play yesterday) are all JAGs and we need to draft premium talent to replace at least 1-2 of these guys in the first 3 rounds, then add another free agent on top of that.

no, they don't need 3 or 4 new olinemen.  what they need are maybe one or two and then they need them all to play together as a unit.  the jets have had tons of line ups during this season.  this can work if the players have all played together on the same team but not when they've all been thrown together during the same year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot probably falls on Sam who’s responsible for setting up the protection. The line plays better when Flacco is in there.

We were also playing our 3rd string T at RT. Fant and Edoga have been fine when they play.

We need a Center. That’ll kill 2 birds with one stone. It’ll allow McGovern to to play RG. Between Clark, Lewis and Van Rotten, we likely have our 2nd guard. But i won’t argue against needing another guard even after getting a center. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD perhaps outsmarted himself in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

WRs and OL were available, and he drafted a S, EDGE, RB and QB, all of whom may not work out.

There were OL available there who would likely be starting now and playing better than what the Jets currently have.  From a value perspective, those players were better value than the FAs signed.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I was hoping clark would get into the line and do something to make one think he could be good this year.

This team has so many glaring holes all over the roster.

We should have about 6 picks in the top 100 next draft.   We need to use one on a Qb, I would have no issue at all of using two of those top 100 picks on oline, even though we have many other needs,

You have to err on the side of protection of the new Qb over all else.

Ideally, bring in at least 1 lineman in FA.   A real lineman, not what JD brought in last year.    Draft another lineman with either the late 1 or the early 2nd, and also add either a running back or a WR/Tight End with the other top 35 pick.

Just my 2 cents.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

**** protection.  I am so sick of that sh*t.  It's about time we stopped worrying about protecting people and started attacking.  You to that a bit and you see how quickly teams stop running cover 0.  Our offense has been on defense so long that I think people forget the definition of offense.  

one reason our last Qb is shot is due to terrible oline.  You can overcome a shaky oline after a QB has had some years but a rookie is fresh meat with a bad oline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People saying our oline is fine have some seriously low bar for adequate offensive lines.  I can only guess that they watch Jets games solely and assume an improvement from "atrocious" to very bad means our line is no longer a problem.  Watch a team with an excellent to even average line and you'll be wishing this team had invested in more than Chuma Edoga over the past dozen drafts.  https://fantasyindex.com/2020/10/16/offensive-lines/updated-offensive-line-rankings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

**** protection.  I am so sick of that sh*t.  It's about time we stopped worrying about protecting people and started attacking.  You to that a bit and you see how quickly teams stop running cover 0.  Our offense has been on defense so long that I think people forget the definition of offense.  

This post is so wrong, it should've been written by Sar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Dude, I’ve seriously never seen someone bail so quick as consistently as Darnold.  They’re not great but not that bad either. I’d add one or two but it’s really not a blame the OL thing this year, unbelievably lol. So sad

I think it's a little bit of both.  It's true that Sam is very quick to bail from the pocket now.  This is the part of his game that has truly been broken by the Jets organzation.

What stuck out to me yesterday is how many times Sam found himself more than 10 yards behind the line.  He has zero confidence in his ability to hang in there and make a throw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The team sucks. The best running back on the roster is Frank Gore. The QB has no idea on how to climb the pocket. The line is probably bad overall in context with the rest of the league but it’s been adequate most weeks. The team just doesn’t have any real talent anywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, freestater said:

This post is so wrong, it should've been written by Sar. 

Well, you just keep trying to make a pocket that holds up for 5 full seconds and blaming the line when it doesn't.  I watch other NFL games and the good teams get pressured.  They just make defenses pay when the send the blitz.  The line didn't seem particularly bad to me yesterday and that is with Connor McDermott playing RT and Eiflein on the field 20 minutes after they picked him up.  I want a good line, I just don't think that "protection" is what is needed.  Balls and an attacking nature is what I see as missing.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been saying that they need to invest heavily in the OLine, and still think they do. However, the Oline didn't seem that bad yesterday. The announcers also noted a couple times that Sam had a lot of time, but needed to get his internal clock going when he got sacked once. Sam is having trouble reading the field plain and simple. The offense generally goes as the QB goes. Sam comes back the Jets can't score Tds. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Outside of Becton the whole o-line was garbage yesterday.  Sam was running for his life.  McGovern, Van Roten, and Lewis (who didn't play yesterday) are all JAGs and we need to draft premium talent to replace at least 1-2 of these guys in the first 3 rounds, then add another free agent on top of that.

Guess we didn't watch the same game LOL.  OL isn't great, but it isn't bad either.  

Fitz was sacked 4 times, Darnold was sacked 3.  Last year the OL was horrible.  This OL is about average with an outstanding LT.  JD did a decent job in one season improving it.

This is all on Sam.  Kid needs to get out of here before he is totally ruined, he has really regressed 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

People saying our oline is fine have some seriously low bar for adequate offensive lines.  I can only guess that they watch Jets games solely and assume an improvement from "atrocious" to very bad means our line is no longer a problem.  Watch a team with an excellent to even average line and you'll be wishing this team had invested in more than Chuma Edoga over the past dozen drafts.  https://fantasyindex.com/2020/10/16/offensive-lines/updated-offensive-line-rankings

Obviously Andy from Fantasy Index dot com knows more about OL play here then anybody here.  Especially his rankings from 1.5 months ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, you just keep trying to make a pocket that holds up for 5 full seconds and blaming the line when it doesn't.  I watch other NFL games and the good teams get pressured.  They just make defenses pay when the send the blitz.  The line didn't seem particularly bad to me yesterday and that is with Connor McDermott playing RT and Eiflein on the field 20 minutes after they picked him up.  I want a good line, I just don't think that "protection" is what is needed.  Balls and an attacking nature is what I see as missing.  

Still need a C and G. Unless McGovern can do better at G. He's not the answer at C. I like Meyers from OSU. Should be available with our 2nd. Possibly even the first 3rd. If we were to go skills position with our first Seattle pick, I'm all for it. Much more investment in offense is what thjs team needs. Good o-line makes good offenses operate. With Crowder & Mims I think we have a good complement, but really need that Robby-like threat. 

As for the balls part, getting rid of Gase will hopefully improve that. Let's see who these idiots end up hiring. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There will be a slew of right tackles and I OL in our Seattle first rounder and our second round are slots. Sign one free agent guard and the entire line is fixed.

 

There will be a slew of right tackles and I OL in our Seattle first rounder and our second round are slots. Sign one free agent guard and the entire line is fixed.

 

Anybody have the backstory on why Alex Lewis was benched yesterday?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

We had a 3rd string OT and a G who we just signed 5 days ago in our starting lineup. The line was fine. The QB and play calling were the problems.

I don't think it was fine but as you said, it was a 3rd stringer and a brand new cast off. We probably do need to upgrade everything not Becton but it doesn't need to happen tomorrow. We can aggressively replace 1-2 spots this offseason and be okay. Those two spots being guard and center preferably. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

We had a 3rd string OT and a G who we just signed 5 days ago in our starting lineup. The line was fine. The QB and play calling were the problems.

Agreed.

Sam Darnold has been sacked on 9.2% of his dropbacks this season.  Only Philly QBs have been sacked more.

Joe Flacco has been sacked on 5.0% of his dropbacks this season.  Which would be 9th in the league.

The OL needs to be upgraded, but its not all on them.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...