Sounds like Lions may make Matt Stafford available

GreekJet

The Jets can be super bowl contenders next year with Stafford if they hit in free agency and the draft. 

This is a good team that is being held back by coach and QB. 
At what positions do you see top 5 or 10 talent next year? I like Becton. I have a hard time putting a 29 year old CJ Mosley, coming off 2 years put of football, on that list. You want to argue Maye is a top 10 safety?

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Jaguars would actually make sense as a landing spot for Stafford. They have a good young defense and good young weapons on offense. They could trade out of the 2nd pick to acquire more assets or stay put and take the best tackle in the draft to protect him. It would make a ton of sense if they're looking to win quickly. They are going to have 4 picks in the top 48 and about $60 million in cap space this offseason. They can get really good really quickly with a QB like Stafford. 

Jags will get either Fields or if we do the unthinkable, Lawrence.  Stafford not going to a team to play the Kurt Warner role.  Hes going to a team like the Colts, Steelers to take over the starters spot.

Thats if hes even gone.  New HC and then we'll see

The Jets can be super bowl contenders next year with Stafford if they hit in free agency and the draft. 

if everything goes perfect the ceiling is 9-7 and on the cusp of six seed as was usual. then worse draft positions and big contracts. back to mediocrity then down again. need to break that cycle. no thanks.

12 hours ago, PS17 said:

He’s Kirk Cousins with a better arm. Always comes up short in big moments. Hard pass. 

He hasn't had enough "big moments" for this to be a claim worth making.  That's what happens when you're a good QB stuck with a horrid franchise.  

He didn't perform well in his most recent playoff game, @ Seattle in 2017, but his first 2 playoff performances were pretty good:

• @ New Orleans (2012):  28-43, 380 yards, 8.8 YPA, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, 97.0 QB Rating
  • @ Dallas (2015):  28-42, 323 yards, 7.7 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT, 87.7 QB Rating

I'm not interested in Stafford because of his age.  But he's been underrated for a long time.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

You need to watch Stafford play more often.  He is way over rated in my opinion and I see him play a lot.

Overrated in what sense?  Where do you think he gets ranked by media/fans/analysts and where do you think he should be ranked among the league's QB's?

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Overrated in what sense?  Where do you think he gets ranked by media/fans/analysts and where do you think he should be ranked among the league's QB's?

I think he's had a lot of help in terms of weapons(Megatron early, Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, Golladay, AP) but can't get his team over the hump, which you should sort of do if you're a franchise level QB - never won the division, never won a playoff game. He sort of reminds me of a poor man's Tony Romo.

If you're familiar with combat sports - Stafford would be a perfect 'gatekeeper'. He's good enough to beat the bad guys but consistently loses to championship caliber guys. That's what he is.

8 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I think he's had a lot of help in terms of weapons(Megatron early, Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, Golladay, AP) but can't get his team over the hump, which you should sort of do if you're a franchise level QB - never won the division, never won a playoff game. He sort of reminds me of a poor man's Tony Romo.

If you're familiar with combat sports - Stafford would be a perfect 'gatekeeper'. He's good enough to beat the bad guys but consistently loses to championship caliber guys. That's what he is.

Fair enough.  I've never thought him to be "special", really, but certainly a top 12 guy for a long time.  I'd take that in a heartbeat here.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair enough.  I've never thought him to be "special", really, but certainly a top 12 guy for a long time.  I'd take that in a heartbeat here.

It's funny, that's right where I have him - top 12. He's consistently above average and can have spots of elite level play but when you look at the truly elite QBs(Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady before this year) he falls well short and it's noticeable.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Overrated in the sense that when he was playing extremely well he had an awesome support cast.  He always did throw a lot of interceptions.  Finally, when he gets pressure it seems his emotions get the best of him.

I have had many conversations with the guys at work regarding Stafford.  At first it was comparisons between him and Sanchez,  Once I admitted that Stafford was better than Sanchez the guys started pointing out to me his weaknesses.

I do not pay attention to the media or analysts when it comes to football.  There are a few guys at work that played in the NFL or Div I.  I listen to them and a few of the folks here.  Certainly do not consider myself an expert on football.  Baseball and Hockey - maybe  :)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Interesting. So if we don’t get Lawrence your solution is to trade for a guy who will be 33 years old next year instead of drafting one of the other five high-performing QB prospects who will be available. 

Ever hear the expression “kicking the can down the road”?

It would be like Macc's decision to try to sign Kirk Cousins instead of drafting a QB in a draft that had 4-5 potential FQBs (even though it didn't turn out that way).

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If we could draft a QB with our number 1 pick AND get Matthew Stafford to back him up if he struggles....ABSOLUTELY!

Not happening.  This isn't Madden.  You can't dump the kind of resources necessary to get Stafford only to have him be the QB2.  His cap figure is $33M next season, and the Lions would at minimum want our Seattle 1st round pick in a deal for him.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not happening.  This isn't Madden.  You can't dump the kind of resources necessary to get Stafford only to have him be the QB2.  His cap figure is $33M next season, and the Lions would at minimum want our Seattle 1st round pick in a deal for him.  

No I know dude....It was a joke.  There is NO way Matthew Stafford is coming here, unless he wants to take a $30 million pay cut.  Who WOULDN'T want to lose $30 million and join the Jets!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I guess you haven't been watching any recent games.  Stafford is shot.  Stop pining over his highlights throwing on the first read to Calvin Johnson 10 years ago.

Only seen the Lions a few times this year but I wouldn't say he's shot just yet. He's stuck on a bad team and past his prime. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Only seen the Lions a few times this year but I wouldn't say he's shot just yet. He's stuck on a bad team and past his prime. 

He's done.  He has injury problems he has not fully gotten over and no longer throws to wide receivers.  There's a reason the Lions are trying to dump him.