Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mims:

12th among rookies in catches

10th in yards

0 touchdowns (15 rookie WR have TD's)

3rd in YPC (good)

This has been a stellar rookie class so far. Mims has a ways to go to enter into the echelon of where the other rookies are. What is the point in hyping someone that isnt there yet?

Wait, you are saying that Mims who was a 2nd round pick is disappointing?  Have you seen him play?  You know he is on the worst team in the NFL, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think Chase Claypool is better than Denzel Mims. As does everyone besides homer Jets fans.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Wait, you are saying that Mims who was a 2nd round pick is disappointing?  Have you seen him play?  You know he is on the worst team in the NFL, right?

lol I tried asking. All he knows is that Claypool is better. And Mims sucks. Teams and what kinda offense theyre in doesn't matter I guess.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

lol I tried asking. All he knows is that Claypool is better. And Mims sucks. Teams and what kinda offense theyre in doesn't matter I guess.

Yeah Claypool has been amazing, so impressive. Maybe people have said Mims is better, I haven't seen it if they did. That would be a bad hot take.

It is possible for Claypool to be great.  And for Jets to feel really good about Mims. Watching him play and being excited isn't hyping him up. He looks really good.

• Upvote 3

Yeah Claypool has been amazing, so impressive. Maybe people have said Mims is better, I haven't seen it if they did. That would be a bad hot take.

It is possible for Claypool to be great.  And for Jets to feel really good about Mims. Watching him play and being excited isn't hyping him up. He looks really good.

Nope. Nobody said Mims is better. But Matt's hot take is that he's disappointing for whatever reason. 

Claypool is a beast. Mims is pretty good too. Very far from disappointing. Someone to actually be excited about moving forward.  

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

Nope. Nobody said Mims is better. But Matt's hot take is that he's disappointing for whatever reason. 

Claypool is a beast. Mims is pretty good too. Very far from disappointing. Someone to actually be excited about moving forward.  

Yeah Mims looks very good. I like the trio of Mims, Perriman and Crowder a lot. If you added a TOP guy through free agency or another early draft pick that would be a great group.

As soon as you get rid of Gase and players stop getting hurt every minute that is.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

In the context of the other rookie receivers? Yes. He also missed a ton of games, which is disappointing. Play in the game, get open and catch. He hasn’t been in the top 10 of rookie receivers in those categories. That’s why he’s been disappointing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

In the context of the other rookie receivers? Yes. He also missed a ton of games, which is disappointing. Play in the game, get open and catch. He hasn’t been in the top 10 of rookie receivers in those categories. That’s why he’s been disappointing.

Everyone under Adam Gase misses a ton of games. Apparently it is a pre-requisite. Basically compared to Chris Herndon, Mims is an ironman.

Douglas traded back, took a big gamble and walked away with Mims. The kid is playing in the worst offense in the NFL and is looking great.

There is no way I would use the word disappointing about Denzel Mims. In any context other than to say he is playing for a disappointing head coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Everyone under Adam Gase misses a ton of games. Apparently it is a pre-requisite. Basically compared to Chris Herndon, Mims is an ironman.

Douglas traded back, took a big gamble and walked away with Mims. The kid is playing in the worst offense in the NFL and is looking great.

There is no way I would use the word disappointing about Denzel Mims. In any context other than to say he is playing for a disappointing head coach.

Plus any other yardage that would have been there with pretty much any QB when he's wide open and Darnold is looking right at him, and comes away with nothing. 

Of course it's not an official stat - like dropped interceptions - but we know that they happened. Dumb luck a dropped interception wasn't a pick (or pick 6) and Mims has run himself open on routes that should have resulted in more yards/TDs but for no fault of his own they didn't happen.

And that's with all the missed games. No the yards don't count, but he's played well enough to have gotten them. And when predicting future success it's a better indicator of it than a tipped ball landing in one's hands or the DB tripping over his own feet, even if those yards do count. 

So far I like him plenty. Just gotta stay on the field lol. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus any other yardage that would have been there with pretty much any QB when he's wide open and Darnold is looking right at him, and comes away with nothing. 

Of course it's not an official stat - like dropped interceptions - but we know that they happened. Dumb luck a dropped interception wasn't a pick (or pick 6) and Mims has run himself open on routes that should have resulted in more yards/TDs but for no fault of his own they didn't happen.

And that's with all the missed games. No the yards don't count, but he's played well enough to have gotten them. And when predicting future success it's a better indicator of it than a tipped ball landing in one's hands or the DB tripping over his own feet, even if those yards do count. 

So far I like him plenty. Just gotta stay on the field lol. 

Good point. There were a few Darnold plays that people tweeted out, bad decision plays where Mims was open and overlooked.

3 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

Lol?  You should read a Detroit newspaper.  Harbaugh has a meeting with the AD this week to discuss an extension. 

I wouldn't be so sure that he comes back. Harbaugh's a Michigan man and they don't wanna fire him - but they can't be happy with his tenure at Michigan. They're going backwards in every way. Even Brady Hoke beach tOSU and won the Sugar Bowl.

What if they offered him an extension with a reduced salary and an easier buyout which JH rejects and bolts to the NFL? Everyone saves face there.

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I think Chase Claypool is better than Denzel Mims. As does everyone besides homer Jets fans.

Not sure how you can even begin to make the comparison. One had a full training camp has been playing the whole season is playing with a Hall of Fame QB and the other well...

"As does everyone"is a funny statement. Either you conducted a poll or you are saying that again, a guy playing on one of the two best teams in football is going to be perceived to be better by "everyone". 

I guess only a homerjetfan would be able to see that there's a little more nuance than "him better dan him"

Only a feelsorryformyselfsameoldjetfan would look at these two receivers and go "ohh darn we came away with the worse thing AGAINNNNNN"

Even in the catches Mims doesn't make you can tell he's good.  He runs good routes and he gets great separation.  It's even easier to notice this if you had been watching Chris Hogan play wide receiver earlier in the year. Who couldn't get open if he cloriformed the CB while kicking him in the shins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I wouldn't be so sure that he comes back. Harbaugh's a Michigan man and they don't wanna fire him - but they can't be happy with his tenure at Michigan. They're going backwards in every way. Even Brady Hoke beach tOSU and won the Sugar Bowl.

What if they offered him an extension with a reduced salary and an easier buyout which JH rejects and bolts to the NFL? Everyone saves face there.

I think they just buyout Harbaugh's contract.  

On 12/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, SouthernJet said:

well at least Roman has proven he calls plays and puts gameplans together. I am baffled by Bienemy rumors as he has never called plays. Its same mistake we made with Herm who was never even a coordinator before coming to Jets. 

I'm not impressed with Roman either.  

Cowher isn't coaching the jets. 

We need Jim Harbaugh.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, Matt39 said:

Yes Mims is not better than Claypool but he's still been pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yes Mims is not better than Claypool but he's still been pretty good.

He’s been fine and in the context of Jets second rounders, a serious ROH candidate. Compared to the other rookie WR’s not so much. He has barely played and it seems like he may not be back at all this season.

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I am actually here in Ann Arbor, MI.  The talk here is what help he needs to go forward.  There is no talk about him leaving or being a disappointment.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He’s been fine and in the context of Jets second rounders, a serious ROH candidate. Compared to the other rookie WR’s not so much. He has barely played and it seems like he may not be back at all this season.

ok so let's compare Mims to the highest rated rookie WR from the past draft Jerry Jeudy

Mims - 6 games 19 receptions 324 yards 17.1 y/rec 

Jeudy - 12 games 38 receptions 594 yards 15.6 y/rec

Jeudy has played twice the games.  If you extrapolate the stats Mims would have the same number of catches and more yards receiving.  Also, a significantly higher yards per catch.  And I liked Jeudy and wanted him if we didn't draft Becton.  

5 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I am actually here in Ann Arbor, MI.  The talk here is what help he needs to go forward.  There is no talk about him leaving or being a disappointment.

I mean, that's just ridiculous. They're paying the guy $8M a year. They didn't do that to become Iowa.

They wanted to be in the CFP and beat tOSU - they've done neither. As I said, even Hoke beat tOSU and won a big bowl game.

19 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

ok so let's compare Mims to the highest rated rookie WR from the past draft Jerry Jeudy

Mims - 6 games 19 receptions 324 yards 17.1 y/rec 

Jeudy - 12 games 38 receptions 594 yards 15.6 y/rec

Jeudy has played twice the games.  If you extrapolate the stats Mims would have the same number of catches and more yards receiving.  Also, a significantly higher yards per catch.  And I liked Jeudy and wanted him if we didn't draft Becton.  

If you’re missing games with injuries you can’t just extrapolate. You’d have to bake in projected miss games too.

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If there's one tried-and-true formula this franchise has for success, it's to have a historically bad season followed by hiring a HC named Bill.

Let's hope that this time (Trevor) the QB doesn't return to college like last time (Peyton).

If anything, I think Cowher joining the Jets would bring instant credibility and immediately kill any discussion of Trevor Lawrence thinking he should avoid a team with a Super Bowl winning HC that's loaded with Cap $ and Draft picks.

71571614_ScreenShot2020-12-09at10_36_42PM.thumb.png.e89a2c4d1095a67e278eba0135a7e0b5.png

He met his second wife shortly after Kaye’s death. He wasn’t looking to date or even marry, but she was different. Veronica Stigeler was going through a divorce, in the same mindset as Cowher. She has a successful music career as Queen V. Cowher loves music, even taking piano lessons after first retiring. “V,” as he calls her, loves football – she’s a huge Jets fan, occasionally wearing her helmet for good luck during games.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-sports/bill-cowhers-new-normal-48294/

On 12/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, Matt39 said:

Why do people bother arguing with this guy?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/8/2020 at 5:59 AM, Philc1 said:

He had no choice.  It was either Kordell Stewart or total garbage scrubs like Mike Tomczak and Jim Miller

Before drafting Big Ben the steelers had a Jet-like history of evaluating QBs

Like cutting Unitas and letting him go on to a HOF career and GOAT status with the Colts.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, Matt39 said:

I’d say the benchmark is the Steelers. The Minkah trade was an A. Claypool looks like a bonafide #1. Highsmith plays a lot at a position on a team that has good pass rushers (Jets took Zuniga over him) and Kevin Dotson has started at guard I think every game (Jets took Clarke over him). That’s a good draft. 

Claypool has 47rec,  649yds,  13.8per and Mims 19catches, 324yards, 17.1per.  Other than having Ben vs Jets QBs, Steelers offense vs the Jets in general and the coaching difference, how is Claypool a bonafide #1 and Mims disappointing?  I mean, hes young and unproven over the games hes played but he doesnt look less a WR, fits right in with the rest of the WRs.

Oh and the Adams trade is an A

All things green suck