Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Cowher has never coached this sport before. It isn’t what it was.

He hasn't been in seclusion the past 15 years.   He's been very close to the game.  Very much involved with the league, been around the players and coaches - will be able to recruit a high quality staff.

He knows the way the game has evolved.  He's younger than BB and Pete Carol.  

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Would love it.  As long as Rex understand he's going to have to make good with what he's given.  Not expect good players for a while.

What makes you think he wouldn't? He did it for years with the RAVENS...

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

yes, but all the big draft picks and free agent signings should go to offense.  Everything should be about supporting Trevor.  Well at least for his first two or three years.

I tend to agree. We must surround any young QB with a supporting cast that's conducive to building confidence. However, that doesn't mean we must completely ignore defensive players. Sometimes adding a truly great defensive is like aiding the offense.

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I never loved Cowher as a coach (too conservative) but he’s the type of personality the franchise would need in order to shake everything up. The Jets organization is desperate for any sort of leadership. I just don’t see the Johnsons paying or agreeing to hand over control to a guy who will command it. It definitely should be considered though. After this season literally everything should be on the table. 

Hes a HC, who would work under JD, what control would he get over ownership?

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Cowher has never coached this sport before. It isn’t what it was.

I keep hearing this argument.

The Titans and Browns are playing close to Cowher's era type ball and doing just fine.  

Cowher did just fine with KORDELL STEWART.   In caps to make sure everyone sees that name. 

Cowher culture + Trevor's talent... and you get winning football.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Cowher is a HC like Andy Reid is.He’d require a big pay day and control. You all defend the Jets ownership  like you’re on the payroll.

One more time, what control would Cowher take from ownership, you just repeated yourself.  Has nothing to do with Reid, bringing him in adds nothing.  

Has Cowher ever been a HC/GM?  Think thats a no.  So how do you know what he would require?  Plus the comment was only that he might want to go back to coaching.  Thats the subject a hand.  Should they inquire.  

How exactly is that defending anyone?  Show me the words that have you this confused.  All I said, asked very simply actually, what control would he get over ownership? A piece of the team?  What control does Reid have over ownership? The actual words were "Hes a HC, who would work under JD, what control would he get over ownership".  

Of course you dont have an answer so the youre defending ownership line of shlt comes out.  

• Upvote 1

Harbaugh is a control freak. The Johnsons would never go for it and he'd be expensive as can be. Cowher is an old and crusty relic and out of the game 15 years. No thanks. Last one who tried that was Shanahan and he flopped on his butt.  Get a young, spirited HC who can build a program like Matt Campbell.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, what control, you just repeated yourself.  Has nothing to do with Reid, bringing him in adds nothing.  

Has Cowher ever been a HC/GM?  Think thats a no.  So how do you know what he would require?  Plus he comment was he might want to go back to coaching.  Thats the subject a hand. 

How exactly is that defending anyone?  Show me the words that have you this confused.  All I said, asked very simply actually, what control would he get over ownership? A piece of the team?  What control does Reid have over ownership? The actual words were "Hes a HC, who would work under JD, what control would he get over ownership".  

Of course you dont have an answer so the youre defending ownership line of shlt comes out.  

How much does Cowher get paid by CBS? How much more money would he require than Gase? The org chart kind of works its way out depending on pay. Cowher would make more money than any GM the Jets were to have in place. The Johnson's historically have not made a big splash hire that would require a ton of money.

You are defending the Johnson's (as usual) by giving reasons why they will not hire someone of Cowher's pedigree. You seem to find it incomprehensible that someone other than either Johnson would have final say on football decisions. Something is fishy there.

• WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

No.  It would be like Joe Gibbs coming back.  Get sometimes who's young and not a has been.

Gibbs went 30-34, including 2 playoff appearances and a playoff win, in his return to the league.  For a terrible Washington franchise.  With an aging Mark Brunell, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell and Todd Collins as his QB's.  

That winning % here would rank him in the top half of coaches in Jets' history.  

Meanwhile, Dick Vermeil came back from a 15-year stint away from the league to orchestrate the Greatest Show on Turf in St Louis, then went 44-36 over 5 seasons with Kansas City.  

31 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I keep hearing this argument.

The Titans and Browns are playing close to Cowher's era type ball and doing just fine.  

Cowher did just fine with KORDELL STEWART.   In caps to make sure everyone sees that name. 

Cowher culture + Trevor's talent... and you get winning football.

Plus its not like Cowher hasn't seen what's going on with the game since he's been away.  He knows his ways would have to change a good bit since he last coached in the league.  That's what makes good/great coaches so good at what they do:  Their adaptability.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Gibbs went 30-34, including 2 playoff appearances and a playoff win, in his return to the league.  For a terrible Washington franchise.  With an aging Mark Brunell, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell and Todd Collins as his QB's.  

That winning % here would rank him in the top half of coaches in Jets' history.  

Meanwhile, Dick Vermeil came back from a 15-year stint away from the league to orchestrate the Greatest Show on Turf in St Louis, then went 44-36 with Kansas City.  

So?  He won three super bowls with three starting QB's before he left.  He worked harder than Gase and actually got results.  When he game back he wasn't the same coach.  Hence my point.  ****.  If you want to have have a coach that can get you to the playoffs with a decent enough roster then just go after Rex.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

So?  He won three super bowls with three starting QB's before he left.  He worked harder than Gase and actually got results.  When he game back he wasn't the same coach.  Hence my point.  ****.  If you want to have have a coach that can get you to the playoffs with a decent enough roster then just go after Rex.

Oh well its a good thing we have a "decent enough roster" here, and not one of the worst in the NFL.  lmao.

Btw, Rex had a great roster in Buffalo and we saw how that played out.  

Cowher would be an excellent hire here.  None of the coordinators or college coaches people are proposing are slam dunks.  Cowher would be as close to it as anybody.  The idea of Jets fans thumbing their noses at Cowher is insanely laughable.  He'd help the org hit the "reset button" and build a culture.  He'd also hire excellent, high quality assistants.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh well its a good thing we have a "decent enough roster" here, and not one of the worst in the NFL.  lmao.

Btw, Rex had a great roster in Buffalo and we saw how that played out.  

This is literally the best draft we've had in years.  We literally have 5 or 6 decent players out of this bunch.  And we have about a zillion picks in the next two drafts.  Considering the coaching staff we have now.  It's isn't unlikely to think that WITH TREVOR LAWRENCE we might get different results with a different coach.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How much does Cowher get paid by CBS? How much more money would he require than Gase? The org chart kind of works its way out depending on pay. Cowher would make more money than any GM the Jets were to have in place. The Johnson's historically have not made a big splash hire that would require a ton of money.

You are defending the Johnson's (as usual) by giving reasons why they will not hire someone of Cowher's pedigree. You seem to find it incomprehensible that someone other than either Johnson would have final say on football decisions. Something is fishy there.

What does what Cowher makes at CBS have to do with control from ownership?  When have the Johnsons not spent money?  On the team?  No.  The Stadium?  No. The practice facilities?  No.  FAs?  No.  What imaginary organizational chart are you looking at, the one that wait, goes owner> GM> HC?  The Johnson's have hired who they wanted to hire.  They've gone after Harbaugh, Cowher once before, they knew what they would be demand in pay if they took the job.  

Im not defending anyone, youre out of your mind.  I asked a question, Cowhers a HC, who would work under JD, what control would he get over ownership?  You still havent answered it.  

I gave you not one single reason, not one why they will not hire someone like Cowher.  Find that reason, copy and paste it here.  Go for it

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus its not like Cowher hasn't seen what's going on with the game since he's been away.  He knows his ways would have to change a good bit since he last coached in the league.  That's what makes good/great coaches so good at what they do:  Their adaptability.  

The difference between Gibbs & Cowher coming back is Gibbs
disconnected from football when he went into the racing world.
While Cowher has been announcing/analyzing football and knows
the recent trends

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

This is literally the best draft we've had in years.  We literally have 5 or 6 decent players out of this bunch.  And we have about a zillion picks in the next two drafts.  Considering the coaching staff we have now.  It's isn't unlikely to think that WITH TREVOR LAWRENCE we might get different results with a different coach.

Yes but even with a great offseason, the 2021 Jets' roster will not come close to approaching those 2009-10 Jets teams or even the 2015-16 Bills rosters.  

Meanwhile, you seem to be of the opinion that the game has passed Cowher by.  Meanwhile, the game passed Rex Ryan by....while he was still coaching.  He was a dinosaur by the time he coached the Bills, and stubbornly refused to adapt.  He had quality pass-rushing D-Linemen dropping back into Zones like they were the early-2000s Ravens. 

The same lack of adaptability would likely not be the case with Cowher.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

This past draft unfortunately looks mediocre at best. Still TBD though. Becton looks like a long term starter and a hit(pending him staying in shape/healthy). Mims is an unknown still and in context with the other receivers drafted, somewhat disappointing. Davis has played, which is a positive, just not well. And the rest? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

8 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Hope not as he's pretty overrated coach in my opinion. Plus, he's been out of the league for a while and I think the game has passed his style by. We need a coach that is going to oversee the installation of a monster offense and Cowher isn't that guy.

It's shocking that time has enhanced his legacy. When I think of Cowher I think of all those AFCCG he lost at home as favorites.  Jets fans would have wanted him fired 10 times if he did that here.

The one SB he did win was a miracle run where he got an all time gift from the Colts and one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen in my life 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but even with a great offseason, the 2021 Jets' roster will not come close to approaching those 2009-10 Jets teams or even the 2015-16 Bills rosters.  

Meanwhile, you seem to be of the opinion that the game has passed Cowher by.  Meanwhile, the game passed Rex Ryan by....while he was still coaching.  He was a dinosaur by the time he coached the Bills, and stubbornly refused to adapt.  He had quality pass-rushing D-Linemen dropping back into Zones like they were the early-2000s Ravens. 

The same lack of adaptability would likely not be the case with Cowher.

I like Cowher when he ran Blitzberg.  He was one of my favorite coaches.  But second go rounds in a business that's 25 hours a day, 8 days a week favors the young and hungry.  Even selling Harbaugh for a second NFL job makes more sense to me.  I don't want a three or four year stint.  Hell.   We didn't even get four years from Parcells.  This has to be the hire that might make or break Trevor Lawrence should we get him.  The coach has to grow with the QB.  Not retire.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Why?

Because this is a franchise that lacks direction,and a team that lacks discipline.  We lead the league in roughing the passer we have the worst coaching staff in the league and are not respected anywhere.  Yet our practice facility is one of the best in the league, the area in which the players can choose to live is not NYC. We could be a very desirable place to play if only we had a respectable coach that actually knows what he is doing.  

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I like Cowher when he ran Blitzberg.  He was one of my favorite coaches.  But second go rounds in a business that's 25 hours a day, 8 days a week favors the young and hungry.  Even selling Harbaugh for a second NFL job makes more sense to me.  I don't want a three or four year stint.  Hell.   We didn't even get four years from Parcells.  This has to be the hire that might make or break Trevor Lawrence should we get him.  The coach has to grow with the QB.  Not retire.

How about leave behind a quality successor?  Because that's what Cowher would likely be giving us after he does retire.