Fields or Wilson

Rhg1084

Before the season, I would have happily taken Fields at 2.  Playing this season did not help his stock at all.  He has not looked comfortable in the pocket and does not go through progressions.  IF first read is not open, he is too quick to run.  Some of this may have been circumstances this year.  Only playing 6 games, rarely on consecutive weeks, large groups of teammates in and out of the lineup each week.  Hard to get inot a rhythym that way.

I am not going to discount him at 2 as manu on this site have, but I would be lying if I said I was not concerned.  Curious to see what he does next week in the playoffs, and I will probably rewatch some of his tape from last year to get a better read on him.

As for Wilson, I have only seen him play once.  Will watch tomorrow night's game and need to see how he does through the pre-draft process.  RIght now, I have not watched him enough to have an opinion.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

From what I have seen I have been really impressed with Wilson .Not as big of a Fields fan. Tomorrows BYU game should be required viewing of all Jets fans

If Wilson has anything less than a lights out performance Jets fans won’t buy into him.

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

So funny to see everyone who was so pro-lawrence/anti-sam now become pro-sam/anti-fields.  He had a bad game.  It happens.  Fields is my guy if we’re at 2.

I don’t know man. Douglas would essentially be betting his career on Fields. If he busts out it sets this team back 4-5 years. Or he could build this team with a lot of talent and pick up Sams option keeping him here for 2 more years of evaluation with a loaded roster. If Sam still can’t figure it out then you go out and get the rookie QB who would be walking into a team with a lot of talent 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t know man. Douglas would essentially be betting his career on Fields. If he busts out it sets this team back 4-5 years. Or he could build this team with a lot of talent and pick up Sams option keeping him here for 2 more years of evaluation with a loaded roster. If Sam still can’t figure it out then you go out and get the rookie QB who would be walking into a team with a lot of talent 

I’d argue that keeping Darnold could set us back even more. Let’s say you do manage to build this loaded roster around Sam, and Sam doesn’t take that step (and let’s be real, at this point there’s very little reason to think he will). Now you’re likely finishing middle of the pack, and who knows what the QB classes will look like in the future. We’ve been down that road many, many times before.

Look how bad we had to be just to be in position for the number 2 pick. You never know when we’ll be picking this high again. Douglas (and the new coach) would have to be crazy IMO to pin their future to Darnold rather than taking a swing at their own QB with the highest draft pick this team has had in 25 years.

7 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I’d argue that keeping Darnold could set us back even more. Let’s say you do manage to build this loaded roster around Sam, and Sam doesn’t take that step (and let’s be real, at this point there’s very little reason to think he will). Now you’re likely finishing middle of the pack, and who knows what the QB classes will look like in the future. We’ve been down that road many, many times before.

Look how bad we had to be just to be in position for the number 2 pick. You never know when we’ll be picking this high again. Douglas (and the new coach) would have to be crazy IMO to pin their future to Darnold rather than taking a swing at their own QB with the highest draft pick this team has had in 25 years.

Good point. That’s why Douglas gets paid the big bucks to makes these decisions. He’d essentially be betting his career on one of these QBs tho so it’s a tough move 

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Good point. That’s why Douglas gets paid the big bucks to makes these decisions. He’d essentially be betting his career on one of these QBs tho so it’s a tough move 

Yup, but it’s a move almost every GM needs to make at some point in time. It’s the reason guys like Elway, Peyton, Luck, and Lawrence (I don’t think Trevor is on the same level as those other guys, but he’s definitely the closest since them) are so coveted. Unless you get gifted one of those guys or come into a situation where you’ve already got the franchise QB in place early in his career, you’ll eventually need to take a major, likely career defining swing on the toughest position to evaluate in all of sports.

At the end of the day, I'd go Fields over Wilson:

1) Fields has been elite every season he has played and was a 5 star recruit coming out. Wilson has 1 elite year out of 3 playing against weaker competition. 

2) I think Fields is a better athlete than Wilson. 

3) I have durability concerns about Wilson. He looks short & slight, plus he's already had 1 shoulder surgery. 

That being said, I think Fields will benefit from sitting his first year in the NFL. I'd strongly consider bringing back Darnold next year if the Jets pick Fields. It could be like the Chargers situation when they had Brees and drafted Rivers. If Darnold balls out next year, Jets can franchise him and hold an auction. If Darnold balls out next year, he will be a 24 year old former top 3 pick coming off a good season. The Jets might be able to fetch multiple 1st rounders for him. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He didn’t draft Sam.  He has no ties to Sam.  I’d assume he’d rather build his career on a guy he drafted, a guy he has a chance to build around than a guy he’s seen in the NFL and quite honestly hasn’t been too impressive.

19 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

I think Trey Lance is more in this conversation than people assume

Do not underestimate the fact that Joe Douglas came from an organization that drafted another NDSU QB.  He knows that they can translate.

• Upvote 1