Jets have no identity!

Jetster

All I keep hearing is that the Jets if picking #2 need to trade back because people want Sewell. Well of course they do, he’s a freaking beast! 
No one is trading up for a QB after Lawerence goes, not one QB after him deserves the draft capital to move up into the 2nd spot! 
We gave up 3 twos to go from 6 to 3 and it would have been more during the draft. 
Our best years in 2009 & 2010 were because we had a top 5 Oline. Joe Douglas has 9 picks including #33 which is the money pick with 31 GMs that might want the guy that slipped out of the 1st round. 
With 9 picks in 2022 including 2 more 1st rounders this is the 2nd year of our true rebuild. 
You don’t pass up HOF talent for James Farrior. 
You go out & sign a Joe Thuney! You draft Sewell, you also maybe secure the best college Center from a trade down in the 2nd round! 
You still have 85 million dollars! 
But you go into 2021 with possibly the most kickass Oline in the division that makes all defenses you face inferior & turns 2nd halves into bloodfests in the trenches! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

41 minutes ago, Jetster said:

All I keep hearing is that the Jets if picking #2 need to trade back because people want Sewell. Well of course they do, he’s a freaking beast! 
No one is trading up for a QB after Lawerence goes, not one QB after him deserves the draft capital to move up into the 2nd spot! 
We gave up 3 twos to go from 6 to 3 and it would have been more during the draft. 
Our best years in 2009 & 2010 were because we had a top 5 Oline. Joe Douglas has 9 picks including #33 which is the money pick with 31 GMs that might want the guy that slipped out of the 1st round. 
With 9 picks in 2022 including 2 more 1st rounders this is the 2nd year of our true rebuild. 
You go out & sign a Joe Thuney! You draft Sewell, you also maybe secure the best college Center from a trade down in the 2nd round! 
But you go into 2021 with possibly the most kickass Oline in the division that makes all defenses you face inferior & turns 2nd halves into bloodfests in the trenches! 

Taking Brick at 6 turned out to be a good move, followed by Mangold.  Im all in as well but I want the good looking boy from Clemson if we can have him. ;)

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It's an interesting idea.  We would be the one team that would absolutely beat the living daylights out of our opponents' D-line. 

Unless Joe D is smitten with one of these other QBs, is it worth it to trade down when we can get a 2nd franchise tackle and try something that (I think) no other NFL team has?  Maybe we can draft the top center (if he's worthy of it) with the Seattle pick and then sign a guard. 

We could just wear teams down and play keep-away from the great offenses in the league. To be honest, I love smash-mouth football and would love to see it return. 

On top of this, I think if we can bring in someone competent to work with Sam, he can probably develop a lot better without as much pressure on him,  both literally (pass rush) and figuratively (living up to being taken #3 overall).

There seems to be this theory on here that we need more & more picks. NO, we need BETTER PLAYERS! 
Idzik had 14 picks once. 
Even if you take Sewell put him at LT, move Big Ticket to right tackle, trade back out of #33, you will still probably be looking at a Devonta Smith, or another stud WR with Seattle’s pick, maybe Najee Harris (could you imagine him behind bad azz Oline?), and then YOU STILL have 2 thirds or more if you moved back a bit in the 2nd round with that 33rd pick. 
Look at the Bills, Pats & Fins Dlines as they are now. Are you telling me any of those teams have the beef upfront to deal with Oline thst consists of Swewell- Thuney- Top College Center (Josh Myers)- McGovern- Becton? 
Plus you could resign Eiflen, you have Clark, and you could cut Fant or better yet trade him for more picks in 2022! 
All of that with just 1 free agent signing of about 14/15 million for Thuney. 
You cut Crowder (10.5) trade Fant (8), You would still have 85 million for free agents in this scenario! WR (Robinson or Juju), Edge? Bud Dupree? or Judson?), CB? Or trade a late 3rd for Marshon Lattimore? Who the Saints can’t keep? 
Now you’ve finished a nasty Oline, solidified your WR core, have a great RB (Harris), a #1 CB (Lattimore), an edge rusher (Dupree or Judon), and you still have 9 picks in 2022 including 2 first rounders! Could you imagine if Wilson got dinged what Seattle’s record would be? 
Talk about wearing out defenses, a tired Dline vs an Oline like that & your play actioning their azz off in the 4th quarter trying to slow down Harris, Perine & Johnson! Ty Johnson looks great getting the edge & it’s much easier when teams are gassed in the 4th quarter. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Taking Brick at 6 turned out to be a good move, followed by Mangold.  Im all in as well but I want the good looking boy from Clemson if we can have him. ;)

i think that goes without saying.  imo the jets are near enough to take advantage of a guy like lawrence.  in many ways i think picking darnold was premature because the oline and/or skill positions weren't set at all.  this season it looks like the oline and wrs have been significantly upgraded and it looks like douglas is one of those guys who will start by building out the oline. so if they can and do draft lawrence, it's probably safe to say the oline will also get some more talent, either through the draft or free agency.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Im all for building the OL 

But we need offensive playmakers who can score points  RB,WR,TE 

Did I mention a legitimate edge rusher. 

We can still get them! Look at any Mock draft & there are stud WRs in that 19-26 range (Seattle pick), we can take Najee at 33, or maybe slide back a few picks & still get him? 
We can sign Robinson or Juju at WR, we can target Dupree or Judon at edge, we can try to trade for Lattimore with 1 of our 3rds (Saints are way over the cap), we can sign Eifert at TE! 
We could do all these things with the capital we have & still have 9 picks including 2 firsts in 2022!

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There seems to be this theory on here that we need more & more picks. NO, we need BETTER PLAYERS! 
Idzik had 14 picks once. 
Even if you take Sewell put him at LT, move Big Ticket to right tackle, trade back out of #33, you will still probably be looking at a Devonta Smith, or another stud WR with Seattle’s pick, maybe Najee Harris (could you imagine him behind bad azz Oline?), and then YOU STILL have 2 thirds or more if you moved back a bit in the 2nd round with that 33rd pick. 
Look at the Bills, Pats & Fins Dlines as they are now. Are you telling me any of those teams have the beef upfront to deal with Oline thst consists of Swewell- Thuney- Top College Center (Josh Myers)- McGovern- Becton? 
Plus you could resign Eiflen, you have Clark, and you could cut Fant or better yet trade him for more picks in 2022! 
All of that with just 1 free agent signing of about 14/15 million for Thuney. 
You cut Crowder (10.5) trade Fant (8), You would still have 85 million for free agents in this scenario! WR (Robinson or Juju), Edge? Bud Dupree? or Judson?), CB? Or trade a late 3rd for Marshon Lattimore? Who the Saints can’t keep? 
Now you’ve finished a nasty Oline, solidified your WR core, have a great RB (Harris), a #1 CB (Lattimore), an edge rusher (Dupree or Judon), and you still have 9 picks in 2022 including 2 first rounders! Could you imagine if Wilson got dinged what Seattle’s record would be? 
You w was not to talk about wearing out defenses, a tired Dline vs an Oline like that & your play actioning their azz off in the 4th quarter trying to slow down Harris, Perine & Johnson! Ty Johnson looks great getting the edge & it’s much easier when teams are gassed in the 4th quarter. 

many good points.  all anyone has to do is look at the long line of wasted first and second round draft picks going all the way back to rex.  so many of those guys would be coming into their own at this point had they made decent picks to begin with.

• Upvote 1

I think this draft is where the vision starts to take shape. If we keep #2 and I'm GM I take Sewell and one of Etienne / Harris. Couple that with picking up Joe Thuney in free agency and suddenly this offense has a real identity... ground and pound is back baby.

Nothing would help Sam more than that, especially if by chance we happen to land Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think this draft is where the vision starts to take shape. If we keep #2 and I'm GM I take Sewell and one of Etienne / Harris. Couple that with picking up Joe Thuney in free agency and suddenly this offense has a real identity... ground and pound is back baby.

Nothing would help Sam more than that, especially if by chance we happen to land Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin.

Now your talking! And say he signed Robinson or Juju, and was lucky enough to draft Devonta Smith (could happen if Seattle gets bumped early in the playoffs), You would have a better group (MUCH YOUNGER) than you had in 2010 with Santonio & Edward’s (Robinson/Juju + Mims+ Smith) a stud RB in Najee Harris (Old Tomlinson), and a better QB than Sanchez (I think Sam can be a lot better with a kick azz Oline & weapons), and with all of that add on a veteran TE (Eifert) as Sammy safety valve & a guy that knows exactly how to work man & zone coverages! 
With Sewell & Becton manning the tackle spots if you sign Eifert he’s open 24/7 not having to help on the end of the line unless teams try to blitz a safety or CB. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Our best years in 2009 & 2010 were because we had a top 5 Oline. 

If we do finish #2 overall and miss out on Trevor Lawrence I'm all for drafting a generational LT and the highest rated O-Lineman prospect to come out since dating back to Orlando Pace (who we passed on by trading back from #1 overall). 

And Penei Sewell is a much better pass protector than Becton (understatement) however Mekhi Becton is more of a mauler of a road grader than Penei Sewell.

So therefore if we're to draft Sewell? He becomes LT while Becton is moved over to RT.

(then we'll get to see how much of a "real fan" Becton is of the Jets once playing 2nd fiddle to Penei Sewell). 

With that said Ferguson/Mangold or not; those 2009-2010 Jet offenses don't even SNIFF the playoffs without a legendary prime Darrelle Revis behind a Rex Ryan led Defense.

And unfortunately despite Ferguson/Mangold we only made the playoffs 3x despite having two HOF types of O-Lineman throughout their entire playing careers. 

Becton/Sewell would be meh. Because we aren't making the playoffs anytime soon without a FRANCHISE QB (because our defense STINKS too). 

Starting now, this is a 2 year rebuild, why do you think JD traded all those vets for late round 2022 picks? 

2021 + 2022

2021- He finishes a KICK AZZ Oline - Signs Thuney + Drafts Sewell + drafts best Center available with #65. 

Other Free agent offensive signings: Robinson or Juju Smith 

Defensive free agent signings: Dupree or Judon 

Trades: Trades for Marsh Lattimore from Saints

Drafts: Sewell + D.Smith + Najee Harris + Center 

Trade: Trades Fant for draft pick in 2022. Saves 8 million. (If he can't find a trade partner/cut)

Trade: Trades Jamison Crowder for draft pick in 2022. (If he can't find a trade partner/cut)

* The above cuts (Juju or Robinson + Mims + Devonta Smith or another picked with Seattle slot make Crowder expendable. Sewell makes Fant expendable. Those 2 moves save 18 million to sign an edge rusher (Judon or Dupree)

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

GFY Gase lover ! You seem like a wise azz thats never had his azz kicked!

His response wasn't cool I already called him out on that.

That said, step back before posting stuff like that. We don't need to be threatening people.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

If we do finish #2 overall and miss out on Trevor Lawrence I'm all for drafting a generational LT and the highest rated O-Lineman prospect to come out since dating back to Orlando Pace (who we passed on by trading back from #1 overall). 

And Penei Sewell is a much better pass protector than Becton (understatement) however Mekhi Becton is more of a mauler of a road grader than Penei Sewell.

So therefore if we're to draft Sewell? He becomes LT while Becton is moved over to RT.

(then we'll get to see how much of a "real fan" Becton is of the Jets once playing 2nd fiddle to Penei Sewell). 

With that said Ferguson/Mangold or not; those 2009-2010 Jet offenses don't even SNIFF the playoffs without a legendary prime Darrelle Revis behind a Rex Ryan led Defense.

And unfortunately despite Ferguson/Mangold we only made the playoffs 3x despite having two HOF types of O-Lineman throughout their entire playing careers. 

Becton/Sewell would be meh. Because we aren't making the playoffs anytime soon without a FRANCHISE QB (because our defense STINKS too). 

Not going to happen.