Fields making strong case to be Number 1 Pick

I would LOVE nothing more than for the Jaguars to take Fields #1 overall. Hoping he throws 4 more TDs and goes on to win out in the playoffs while TL sprains his ankle and has to sit out the rest of the season. I'm sold on Lawrence as the BEST QB in this draft, so getting him at #2 overall would be a blessing. 

Fields looks good, and if JD believes he could be a legit Franchise QB I wouldn't mind him at 2 but this game doesn't nec. move the needle THAT much for me- just like Wilson's big game didn't move the needle much for me while everyone else was proclaiming him to be the new #2 QB.   

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This is what I've been hoping for. 

For Lawrence to struggle tonight. 

While Fields A.) Looked amazing and B.) Lights up Alabama too. 

Lawrence going #2 overall would become my Jets dream come true. 

Lol. “While said QB beats the one I want, wins the bowl games, and looks amazing...that would be great! We can get the loser of ALL that!”

• Haha 1

Trevor Lawrence is a really good QB prospect who is flawed, as I've maintained the past 2 years. The NFL media and hype machine makes him out to be the next Peyton Manning. I don't agree. Lawrence makes too many one-read throws, does not consistently go through progressions, is not the most accurate passer out there. Having been said, he's still one of the best QB prospects in the last decade. I think he'll have a very similar career to Josh Allen - but like Josh, one shouldn't assume he's going to overcome his weaknesses without help. Coaches will need to develop him and support him to assure that he fulfills his potential.  

Fields is a good QB prospect who is more flawed, as I've maintained the past year. He's Marcus Mariota. He plays in a simple spread scheme with elite level talent, is not asked to call protections or read coverages, is a "see it, throw it" QB who relies on his tools to make throws and more often than not will run when the initial read breaks down. Worthy of a top 5 pick, but shouldn't expect him to come in and perform in a traditional offense... will need a good OC/QB coach to slowly teach him to become a pro QB while operating a RPO-heavy spread offense in the short-term. 

Tonight's performance one way or another does not change my evaluations of them. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Lol. “While said QB beats the one I want, wins the bowl games, and looks amazing...that would be great! We can get the loser of ALL that!”

Trevor and JF would be 1-1 against one another. 

Trevor and JF would have 1 Championship each. 

Loser?

Wtf are you talking about. 

29 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

As a Clemson fan it pains me to say this but Fields thru the 3rd quarter is putting on an absolute clinic...as a Jets fan I'd love to have him but does what we are seeing tonite move the needle in the Jaguars mind?... 

Probably not

Lawrence could have been the #1 pick as a freshman. He would have been the number 1 pick last year. And he will be the #1 pick this year. This game shouldn't be changing anything. TL isn't even playing bad tn. Fields and Ohio state are just playing better

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

As a Clemson fan it pains me to say this but Fields thru the 3rd quarter is putting on an absolute clinic...as a Jets fan I'd love to have him but does what we are seeing tonite move the needle in the Jaguars mind?... 

i would think not. One has to look at the whole body of work career wise. 

24 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Everyone though Darnold was going to go 1 to the browns.  Even I was ready for Baker.  It’s not weird to think that it could happen that the jags would take fields.

With the drat.... who knows. I've seen some pretty weird  picks thru the years. 

The thought of any of the top three guys excites me, and today just furthered that. Lawrence is definitely the most polished prospect, but that doesn't take away from the talents of the rest.

Fields gets knocked for some bad habits in the mental side, but physically he is a freak. He showed off great arm strength, accuracy, ball placement, clutch factor, and bounce back ability.  People are saying he was playing with fractured/broken ribs ffs. 6 TD's against a team that has lost 1 game in the last 3 seasons with Trevor.  Plus let's not forget that he's got those legs that he wasn't quite able to show off due to injury, some expect him to run a 4.4 at the combine which would be absurd. 

He's definitely raw and could use work which with our team is a somewhat scary prospect, but with his physical talent crazy things could happen. Give him a good coach and support system and you may see him turn into one of those freak athlete QBs ala Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, and Watson. Also people rave and rave about his work ethic which is vital in the future of any QB. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This is what I've been hoping for. 

For Lawrence to struggle tonight. 

While Fields A.) Looked amazing and B.) Lights up Alabama too. 

Lawrence going #2 overall would become my Jets dream come true. 

Jets should take whichever of these 2 QBs are available at 2 whether it is TL or Fields. No trade down, No Darnold, No Brainer, don't over think it. Once you pick it then trade Darnold for a day 2 pick in 2nd round and maybe another mid rounder in this or the next draft if you can get it.

• Upvote 3