Sooooo Dan Mullen?

Mogglez

I would take him as well, although makes me wonder because I keep hearing Meyer, Day, and now Mullen all from that Meyer tree possibly talking to the NFL.  I wonder if this is just agent BS to get a better deal.  

The amount of coaches I would take is quite extensive given the sh*t show we've been dealing with the past few years. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mullen currently making 6 mill per. Doubt the Johnson's can get near there.

That and there is just so much more job security and so many less distractions.  College HC just seems much more appealing to me these days.  

How many have made the leap in recent history? Rhule, KK, OBrien, Carroll..is that it?  Chip Kelly.

Not all that common anymore

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

That and there is just so much more job security and so many less distractions.  College HC just seems much more appealing to me these days.  

How many have made the leap in recent history? Rhule, KK, OBrien, Carroll..is that it?  Chip Kelly.

Not all that common anymore

I think the Jets need to get a proven HC at this point in time. I was thinking someone at a smaller school who's making less money, but if Muller were actually interested he'd definitely be a solid hire. I just dont see this as true at all. Unless the Jets/Johnsons have decided to do things differently.

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

It's plausible he'd be interested  given the talent leaving UF, the somewhat minor NCAA sanctions, and the fact some of the Gator fans are somewhat beginning to sour on Mullen.

Meh, there is always talent leaving.  And fwiw, most of these guys; Pitts, Trask, Grimes, Toney, werent his recruits.  His 2 QB's and the one coming in are all obviously much bigger prospects then Trask but also more of a Mullen QB so he'll be able to run his hole playbook that he couldnt with Trask.  The WR pipeline is deep despite the poor performance the other day.  The sanctions arent really even sanctions, slap on the hand type stuff.  I dont know anyone who doesnt believe in Mullen.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Not sure how I'd feel.  I like Mullen.  I think he's a very good coach.  Great offensive mind, great with QB's, great play caller.  Only a maybe 2 or 3 times since he's been at Florida have I really questioned his game management.  I think he can be his own worst enemy sometimes.  He's very arrogant and it gets the best of him.  LSU for example, I think he took them lightly by resting players ie; Pitts, thinking they'd just roll and LSU wasnt having it.  Other examples of similar bravado kind of biting him in the ass.  He's also kind of a nut job and bit of a whiner.  That said, he's turned the Gators around and put them back in the national conversation so I do appreciate him and think he's a very good coach.  The guy had Miss St. #1 overall at one time.  That's unreal when you think about it. Just not sure he's an NFL coach.

I dont think I'd be heartbroken as a Gators fan.  I'd be appreciative because he left it better then it was when he got here and I think the job is more attractive because of it.  The next coach would be inheriting some strong recruiting classes. Plus, I think there are guys around the NCAA who are ready for a bigger job and are very appealing like Luke Fickell, Pat Fitzgerald, Matt Campbell and some other.

For the Jets, I dont know how I'd feel.  I'd be more intrigued then angered, I think.  Not sure, honestly.  I dont see it happening though, like not at all.

I've thought about Mullen for awhile, because at one point I wanted to write about sleeper pick Nick Fitzgerald from Ole Miss, lol.  So I ended up diving deep into his offense there and figured it was extremely QB friendly, which is  really great for developing QBs, 

I think the only way I see him leaving is if he doesn't like QB class coming after Trask, but I don't know enough to comment.  If he feels they would need a rebuild, maybe, but other than that, I don't see a lot of college guys jumping.  If you can recruit well, I honestly think it's a step down jobwise to jump to the NFL.  Coach at college, get paid really well, you control these kid's lives, pretty much the most influential guy on campus, and the recruiting classes keep the talent disparity up.  

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think the Jets need to get a proven HC at this point in time. I was thinking someone at a smaller school who's making less money, but if Muller were actually interested he'd definitely be a solid hire. I just dont see this as true at all. Unless the Jets/Johnsons have decided to do things differently.

I cant pretend to know who the right hire is, I'm so desperate I'd be fine with Jim Caldwell or Marvin Jones simply because they've overcome historical ineptitude with other NFL teams.  I just think this is a big job for someone without NFL experience.  Hiring the staff to create the culture, stability, respect, etc, is crucial.  This team had bounty gate jerk bag, Gregg Williams and Dowell Loggains, ffs.  Who is our ST's coordinator?  I dont even know.  

11 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I've thought about Mullen for awhile, because at one point I wanted to write about sleeper pick Nick Fitzgerald from Ole Miss, lol.  So I ended up diving deep into his offense there and figured it was extremely QB friendly, which is  really great for developing QBs, 

I think the only way I see him leaving is if he doesn't like QB class coming after Trask, but I don't know enough to comment.  If he feels they would need a rebuild, maybe, but other than that, I don't see a lot of college guys jumping.  If you can recruit well, I honestly think it's a step down jobwise to jump to the NFL.  Coach at college, get paid really well, you control these kid's lives, pretty much the most influential guy on campus, and the recruiting classes keep the talent disparity up.  

He likes Emory Jones.  He's been keeping him in the program while playing Trask.  He's a much more talented athlete and can run the hole playbook.  He already sprinkles him into the game plan with Trask.  He also likes Antony Richardson.  Bigger version of Emory Jones both more of his style Qb ie; Smith, Tebow, Fitz, Dak, etc.  What he did to adjust for Trask was awesome. 

Florida Offense metamorphosis has been impressive.  Need to know more about how he handled his QBs or wanted them.  If he was pro fillipe franks and in his corner then i want no part of him.

In any case the next head coach of the Jets is currently coaching in the Fiesta Bowl and has his team ahead at half time

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure how I'd feel.  I like Mullen.  I think he's a very good coach.  Great offensive mind, great with QB's, great play caller.  Only a maybe 2 or 3 times since he's been at Florida have I really questioned his game management.  I think he can be his own worst enemy sometimes.  He's very arrogant and it gets the best of him.  LSU for example, I think he took them lightly by resting players ie; Pitts, thinking they'd just roll and LSU wasnt having it.  Other examples of similar bravado kind of biting him in the ass.  He's also kind of a nut job and bit of a whiner.  That said, he's turned the Gators around and put them back in the national conversation so I do appreciate him and think he's a very good coach.  The guy had Miss St. #1 overall at one time.  That's unreal when you think about it. Just not sure he's an NFL coach.

I dont think I'd be heartbroken as a Gators fan.  I'd be appreciative because he left it better then it was when he got here and I think the job is more attractive because of it.  The next coach would be inheriting some strong recruiting classes. Plus, I think there are guys around the NCAA who are ready for a bigger job and are very appealing like Luke Fickell, Pat Fitzgerald, Matt Campbell and some other.

For the Jets, I dont know how I'd feel.  I'd be more intrigued then angered, I think.  Not sure, honestly.  I dont see it happening though, like not at all.

Yeah I agree with this. Good coach. Really whiny personality. I do not think it would work in the NFL, and especially in NYC.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Mullen currently making 6 mill per. Doubt the Johnson's can get near there.

As much as the 32 NFL jobs are NFL jobs, the Johnsons have never paid top dollar for a coach. They simply don't so it.; they have NEVER hired THAT GUY. This hire is going to be very telling. Usually they go for the remainder bin guys, not the top end. Notice the Jets are not linked to Meyer nor Cowher, nor even Fitzgerald. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As much as the 32 NFL jobs are NFL jobs, the Johnsons have never paid top dollar for a coach. They simply don't so it.; they have NEVER hired THAT GUY. This hire is going to be very telling. Usually they go for the remainder bin guys, not the top end. Notice the Jets are not linked to Meyer nor Cowher, nor even Fitzgerald. 

If the Jets go the unknown coordinator route again and bring back Darnold to start...then the franchise is forever hopeless. Real inflection point with the coach and QB. Time to get the right coach.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

I would take him as well, although makes me wonder because I keep hearing Meyer, Day, and now Mullen all from that Meyer tree possibly talking to the NFL.  I wonder if this is just agent BS to get a better deal.  

The amount of coaches I would take is quite extensive given the sh*t show we've been dealing with the past few years. 

Day ain't leaving Columbus. 

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

@JiF how would you feel?  I’m not entirely a fan.

I just like the term "thorough and Lengthy search". That is what I want.  JD burning the midnight oil with guys like Fitzgerald, Campbell, Roman, Arthur Smith, Dabol, Swinney, Riley and whoever else not named Joe Brady. ?  It's exciting to think of a guy who actually knows things and his team of guys who also know things digging in deep. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I just like the term "thorough and Lengthy search". That is what I want.  JD burning the midnight oil with guys like Fitzgerald, Campbell, Roman, Arthur Smith, Dabol, Swinney, Riley and whoever else not named Joe Brady. ?  It's exciting to think of a guy who actually knows things and his team of guys who also know things digging in deep. 

Brady and Wilson is the best coach QB combination available to the Jets.