Jim Harbaugh possibly interested in Jets?

6 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

well they did win a national title with griese in 97 when brady was a sophomore.  griese moved to the pros and then super prospect drew henson came on campus and starting getting some reps.  brady was the clear starter in 98 & 99 but henson did get some work in.  brady had a very fine college career but didn't put up wow stats and i'm guessing didn't ace the physical stuff at the combine

Besides the crowded depth chart, college was different back then.  Not everyone ran a gimmick spread option offense like they do today that makes every QB look like a first round pick now

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes and what happens when teams are consistently bad and stock up draft picks , Do you remember Parcells with the Jets , same type of scenario, same type of burn the bridges arrogance. 

Oh good. Because that's exactly the position the Jets are in now. I can live with a run like the 49ers had under Harbaugh. 

No logic with this one.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Convincing kids to play for you i.e. "Recruiting" has zero to do with developing QBs and/or coaching. Look at James Franklin. He is a top notch recruiter, but not much of a coach.

Smith and Kap despite shortcomings in comparison to top NFL QBs were talented enough to be NFL QBs which is a very high bar. Greg Roman was nowhere near the QB at Stanford where he coached TEs and OTs. Holding Roman to your Harbaugh standard, why didn't he develop Tyrod Taylor while OC in Buffalo for two seasons?

He made Tyrod much better than almost anyone envisioned. In fact Tyrod was supposed to be the starting QB for the Chargers this year but was Wally Pipped by Herbert. 

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes and the reason why is ego. I'm afraid if Harbaugh comes here and with all the cap space we have , it will be an all out spending frenzy to make Harbaugh look good. This will put us right back into that cycle of overpaying for aging vets and back in and win now mode. I want the team to build a sustainable winning culture , I believe JD has laid the foundation and bringing in Harbaugh or a Cowher like HC  IMO derails that process. I don't want discord or a power struggle between the GM and HC . If we were going the proven NFL HC route I'd almost rather see JD fired and let them run the whole thing like a Belicheck in NE. 

Bringing in a younger coordinator type allows Douglas to be the man running the show. If he gets the right guy, this can be solid marriage for the next 10 years,  I don't want the shotgun wedding .  

that's a very fair concern.  thanks for laying out your position.  it makes sense to me.

but your posts seemed more aimed at knocking down harbaugh's accomplishments.  i too share concerns on if jim would play nice with a GM.  but that is different than saying he's not a good coach.  he's an excellent coach.  his record proves it.  you don't make 3 consecutive conference title games (taking over a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 8 years) by just being lucky.  and while the last year (or two) at michigan have been rough (i can toss 2020 out the windown), he did return to the program to being a perennial top 15 program from the awful depths it fell under r rod/hoke.  not good enough for michigan.  but being an alum who graduated in 1992, his work is still appreciated.

btw - i'm not knocking down the door to hire harbaugh (part influenced by him also coaching my alma mater and not being sure a replacement there is an improvement).  i think my preferred choice (if i were king for a day) could be daboll with an experienced DC, so not far off from your plan.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

that's a very fair concern.  thanks for laying out your position.  it makes sense to me.

but your posts seemed more aimed at knocking down harbaugh's accomplishments.  i too share concerns on if jim would play nice with a GM.  but that is different than saying he's not a good coach.  he's an excellent coach.  his record proves it.  you don't make 3 consecutive conference title games (taking over a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 8 years) by just being lucky.  and while the last year (or two) at michigan have been rough (i can toss 2020 out the windown), he did return to the program to being a perennial top 15 program from the awful depths it fell under r rod/hoke.  not good enough for michigan.  but being an alum who graduated in 1992, his work is still appreciated.

btw - i'm not knocking down the door to hire harbaugh (part influenced by him also coaching my alma mater and not being sure a replacement there is an improvement).  i think my preferred choice (if i were king for a day) could be daboll with an experienced DC, so not far off from your plan.

Yeah , I've admittedly been all over the place with this one, getting crossfire from multiple posters all at once.

I will stand by my statement that I don't think he's a good coach , but my main concerns are more about the power struggle that may ensue between him and Douglas and I fear a Parcells type conclusion where the teams back in cap hell and Harbaugh simply bolts. I think going with a younger HC gives a better chance of cohesion between the GM/HC something that seems to have been missing forever with the Jets. 

On 1/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, Ohhthepain said:

I dont hate Harbaugh as much as most. Guy just flat out wins wherever he goes even though he can be an abrasive douche. 

Yep and Parcells was a big cuddly teddy bear that was wonderful to everyone but they all loved him :)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Yep and Parcells was a big cuddly teddy bear that was wonderful to everyone but they all loved him :)

Can anyone imagine Parcells in today's day and age calling one of his wide receivers "HER/SHE" like he did then? How fast would he be canceled?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

Can anyone imagine Parcells in today's day and age calling one of his wide receivers "HER/SHE" like he did then? How fast would he be canceled?

He also referred to a trick play as a “Jap play” once in Dallas.

He prefaced his statement by saying “not to offend anyone.”

Different generation and time. Guys like that don’t work in today’s age.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He also referred to a trick play as a “Jap play” once in Dallas.

He prefaced his statement by saying “not to offend anyone.”

Different generation and time. Guys like that don’t work in today’s age.

Every December 7th, for as long as I can remember,  my Dad said, "Hmm, there's a Nip in the air"... Nowadays, that's a Federal crime. ? 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yup. And you forgot to include all the All Pro and Pro Bowl players who performed A+ under him @ San Francisco. He was sending literally 7-9 players to the pro bowl each and every season. 

And why? Because his players play hard for him. 

And as soon as Harbaugh leaves SF half the roster retired, got suspended or left via trade or free agency

coincidentally Eric Mangini became DC that yr

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

We just fired Gase who begot Bowles, who begot Rex Ryan & we have fans turning their nose up to Jim Harbaugh? A guy that had crazy success with the forty Niners with Colin Keapernick at QB who basically faded into obscurity when Harbaugh left for Michigan. 

Only Jet fans. We don't like nice things. 

He is my #1 Choice at this point

• Upvote 3

I think this one will come down to timing, and I don't think Harbaugh has the time to wait on the Jets to make a decision. Douglas is casting a wide net, and the earliest we'll be permitted to interview some of these candidates is the 9th/10th. College coaches are free to interview, but the info is slow to get out because they are leery of recruits finding out if they interviewed. Problem I see with Harbaugh is that even if the Jets interview him this week, I don't think Douglas is going to make a decision without interviewing all the candidates + follow ups. And if rumors of a contract deadline are true, then it would behoove Harbaugh to accept the offer before Michigan takes it off the table absent an NFL offer. 

I'm trying to find out the status of interviews with candidates who do not require permission (college coaches, Lewis, Caldwell, etc.). Hoping I have answers tonight. 

Just now, football guy said:

I think this one will come down to timing, and I don't think Harbaugh has the time to wait on the Jets to make a decision. Douglas is casting a wide net, and the earliest we'll be permitted to interview some of these candidates is the 9th/10th. College coaches are free to interview, but the info is slow to get out because they are leery of recruits finding out if they interviewed. Problem I see with Harbaugh is that even if the Jets interview him this week, I don't think Douglas is going to make a decision without interviewing all the candidates + follow ups. And if rumors of a contract deadline are true, then it would behoove Harbaugh to accept the offer before Michigan takes it off the table absent an NFL offer. 

I'm trying to find out the status of interviews with candidates who do not require permission (college coaches, Lewis, Caldwell, etc.). Hoping I have answers tonight. 

Michigan is low balling Harbaugh in their negotiations 

if Woody is smart he offers Harbaugh to be the NFL’s highest paid Head Coach

• Upvote 1

Michigan Football: Optimism about Jim Harbaugh return is disappearing

by Chris Peterson11 minutes ago Follow @cmpetey

Jim Harbaugh is expected back at the Michigan football offices Tuesday and all eyes will be on him as his contract extension looms.

Either Jim Harbaugh doesn’t understand the uncertainty he’s causing or he doesn’t care. But a decision needs to be made about the future of the Michigan football program and it can’t go beyond this week.

That’s the one thing that Warde Manuel and Michigan need to make clear in all of this. Harbaugh has the right to explore the NFL or do whatever he wants to do. But let’s remember he’s coming off a 2-4 season and is 0-5 against Ohio State.

In other words, Michigan football shouldn’t be begging for him to come back. I understand not wanting to move on, especially when his only truly bad this season came during a 6-game mess of a season due to COVID-19.

But after negotiations have dragged on for weeks, Harbaugh knows the deal from Michigan and either he wants to coach the team or he doesn’t. It really is that simple.

There are tons of NFL rumors going around, especially with the Chargers job opening up. Supposedly, teams like the Jets and Chargers want to talk to Harbaugh and that’s fine, but Michigan football shouldn’t wait.

Ryan Day is a much hotter commodity on the coaching market and it took him three seconds to quash any interest in the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Why? Because he probably has no interest in going there.

Unless Harbaugh signs his extension today, it will be clear that he wants to be with any NFL team over Michigan and in my opinion, that will make Manuel’s job very easy.

People have been talking about setting a deadline and I don’t know that Manuel needs to do that. He just needs to put the contract in front of his coach and ask for an answer.

And if Harbaugh still won’t give him one, then I think that’s an answer all by itself. We have heard this extension was a done deal and an announcement was just days away — a few days ago — and here we sit.

If those reports are true, Harbaugh will sign his deal Tuesday and all this worry will have been for not. But if that doesn’t happen, then I believe Harbaugh’s tenure with Michigan football ends.

This weird dance just can’t go on any longer. Michigan should have been uncertain about Harbaugh’s return anyway and this maybe shows once and for all why the Wolverines need to take the hit ($$) and go get Matt Campbell.

https://gbmwolverine.com/2021/01/05/michigan-football-optimism-jim-harbaugh-return-disappearing/

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

Some news from my Jets source: they don't believe Jim Harbaugh is going to be formally interviewed. His name has been discussed, but sounds like the Jets are prioritizing a different direction. 

I hate "sources" because it's not a real source without a name attached to it. 

Because real sources are confident in their predictions and don't hide behind a blank no name. 

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I hate "sources" because it's not a real source without a name attached to it. 

Because real sources are confident in their predictions and don't hide behind a blank no name. 

I have a name, however, I don't know if it's the best to share it in this setting. What I can tell you is that they are a member of the front office on the football side and have been with the organization since 2015. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I like Harbaugh a lot but I don't see Douglas picking him

Why not? If we're trying to become the Ravens East why not pick up the head guys brother? I strongly doubt Douglas hasn't heard anything but good things about Harbaugh from his brother, not to mention that he also has the resume to back it up. Also, fits the CEO image they're looking for.