Jim Harbaugh possibly interested in Jets?

50 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They have a $12.44 billion endowment. Losing $80 million is nothing. I think they're trying to force him out by low balling him. 

I feel the same way. Another day in Ann Arbor and no news on a new contract. Assistant Coach contracts expire Monday and Michigan needs to hire a DC.  I think the Michigan AD would love to rid himself of Harbaugh but he lacks the gravitas to fire him so he made an offer that Harbaugh either will reject or look like he's been forced to eat crow if he accepts it.  On the other side, I think Harbaugh views the offer as a slap in the face and is doing all of this as payback by intentionally making the process very painful for the AD.  Sadly, I am now more of the opinion that if he goes to the NFL, it will be with the Chargers rather than the Jets

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Army's Jeff Monken and Holly Cross's Bob Chesney fit this bill.

The Jets will not interview either one. Instead they'll sell us a retread. Marvin F---In' Lewis? 

Not even a rumor about Harbaugh nor Cowher. 

Hymie's on the case. BLESSED!

I heard they had Todd Monken on their initial list. No word if he'll officially interview. 

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I feel the same way. Another day in Ann Arbor and no news on a new contract. Assistant Coach contracts expire Monday and Michigan needs to hire a DC.  I think the Michigan AD would love to rid himself of Harbaugh but he lacks the gravitas to fire him so he made an offer that Harbaugh either will reject or look like he's been forced to eat crow if he accepts it.  On the other side, I think Harbaugh views the offer as a slap in the face and is doing all of this as payback by intentionally making the process very painful for the AD.  Sadly, I am now more of the opinion that if he goes to the NFL, it will be with the Chargers rather than the Jets

Hit nail on the head. And Harbaugh wants to leave too. That's why this dance is dragging out so long. I just hope and pray that the Jets truly give him a chance to interview. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

Point is time and time again throughout history you have found good teams that either bypassed the QB in a given draft, stalled the decision for a following year, or acquired a veteran and became a very good team. We've seen plenty of teams (two of which Joe Douglas was part of) win the superbowl on the back of a backup QB. I think fans need to realize that a lot of football people don't sensationalize the QB position as much as fans do. 

I'm fine with the idea of roster building through acquiring picks.  We should have traded down two years ago, for sure.  But, what I'm not fine with is starting Darnold for Year 4.  It's a waste.  We've seen that we can get a better performance out of Flacco.  If you want to pass on these QBs, and build the roster, you need to supplement the roster with a QB who's going to allow the rest of the team to develop, not one who's a detriment.  And, that, undoubtedly, is what Sam Darnold has been.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm fine with the idea of roster building through acquiring picks.  We should have traded down two years ago, for sure.  But, what I'm not fine with is starting Darnold for Year 4.  It's a waste.  We've seen that we can get a better performance out of Flacco.  If you want to pass on these QBs, and build the roster, you need to supplement the roster with a QB who's going to allow the rest of the team to develop, not one who's a detriment.  And, that, undoubtedly, is what Sam Darnold has been.

I get he's been bad. Some his fault, some others. He's 23 years old though and hasn't had a stable situation. I want the Jets to bring in competition (Garoppolo?), but let the coach decide. If they're a good coach, the tape will tell him if they can implement different things to maximize Darnold's talent. If not, he'll go with someone else. 

What's different about Darnold than recent busts: his talent still jumps out on tape and many coaches truly respect that talent tremendously. I think a lot of Jets fans are going to be surprised how well Darnold turns out whether its with the Jets or someone else. 

• Upvote 3

Looks like Harbaugh heading back to Michigan. 5-year deal, $4 million per year, minimal buy-out and high incentives allowing him to test the NFL waters next year. 

Jets had him on their initial list, but as I was told a few days ago didn't sound like he was going to have an official interview. 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Talent is merely a raw quality, but darnold still makes very elemental mistakes.  Not sure you can reprogram him to not throw into triple coverage, stare down wrs or force stupid throws time and again.  Darnold won’t be the first talented qb not to succeed in the nfl and he won’t be the last.

In 38 games, Darnold has never been the best player on the field in any of them. Come on, now!

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Looks like Harbaugh heading back to Michigan. 5-year deal, $4 million per year, minimal buy-out and high incentives allowing him to test the NFL waters next year. 

Jets had him on their initial list, but as I was told a few days ago didn't sound like he was going to have an official interview. 

If Woody was running things, Harbaugh would be our coach.  But Douglas was never serious about it.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

What's different about Darnold than recent busts: his talent still jumps out on tape and many coaches truly respect that talent tremendously. I think a lot of Jets fans are going to be surprised how well Darnold turns out whether its with the Jets or someone else. 

This is just not true.

plenty of busts had physical talent that was obvious from watching tape. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

This is just not true.

Sam Darnold ha taken over 0 of 38 career games. He plays the position that has the greatest impact on games. 

Hope they get it right this time and Harbaugh would’ve flopped, because the only positive at all to hiring Gase had been the firing of Maccagnan since afterwards which led to the hiring of his buddy Douglas. Now Douglas seems to be the impediment to not hiring the HC that Woody had been chasing for years. 

If we don’t hire a winner here, we’d have been better off letting Maccagnan ride out a failure 2019 season, and perhaps find a different GM after he got fired in January. It would’ve happened by then after his last saving grace (Darnold) still looked like nothing, his next #3 pick DT pick looked like a whiff as a rookie, his high 3rd round edge rusher wouldn’t have been cut before his rookie season but would’ve shown how bad he is during that year. Oh yeah, and Le’veon Bell flopping, Osemele turning out to be damaged goods, and more. So he’d have been fired after the season anyway.

Just saying, on top of his multitude of GM mistakes (even with his GM hits, like a couple good trades) the great Douglas hire may lead to extended investment in Darnold and missing out on the HC in Harbaugh Woody’d have hired by now.

Just figuring it’s a safe bet any HC Woody would’ve hired on his own is by definition a bad hire, and Douglas saved him (and us) from a big name but an ultimately bad hire in Harbaugh. Hope this is the case. Time will tell, and we’ll see the new HC’s name soon enough. But I’m just throwing this out there.

17 hours ago, choon328 said:

They have a $12.44 billion endowment. Losing $80 million is nothing. I think they're trying to force him out by low balling him. 

that's not how it works.  the athletic department is self funding.  it doesn't dip into the endowment to fund deficits.  the AD laid off people due to lost revenues caused by covid.  football (and to a lesser degree bball) is the engine that supports all the non-revenue generating sports.  while michigan is certainly better positioned to weather the storm than most other athletic departments, these are real loses and real people have been losing jobs.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

According to the internet Harbaugh's contract signing is eminent and an announcement is expected today.

So, what if there is no announcement today?

it very well may not be announced until after the NCAA title game.  every expectation in ann arbor is that harbaugh is returning.  from his associates, from his coaches, from his players and from the recruits and their parents that he's been talking to.  he is said to be vetting DC candidates and looking to finalize the coaching staff.  these may not all be announced until after the weekend.  

that said, it isn't a done deal and the feeling (from respected insiders) is that if things slip into next week, then the door may be open for a parting of ways.  i wouldn't read too much into nothing being announced today.  come next monday or tuesday, that could change

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Woody is a lost toolbag 

he can’t outbid 5ys $20 million?

1) harbaugh wants to stay in ann arbor.  he loves it there and wants to win there

2) the reported contract is a $4MM base, but incentives to take it to $8MM annually

3) 1&2 notwithstanding, things can change... 

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This is just not true.

I think you missed the point. Most of his issues are easily diagnosable and fixable. The question that remains: once “fixed”, how good can he truly be? I hate comparing other players but Alex Smith reached his potential. It took him 7-8 years, but that Alex Smith was the best Alex Smith we were going to see, despite all his athletic abilities. Sure maybe he would’ve had greater confidence and production had he been “fixed” at a younger age (i.e. coached properly), but him in KC/WAS was the absolute best version of himself when you factor in his abilities/limitations. Mike Vick, same thing. The best athlete isn’t the best football player. Talent doesn’t dictate ceiling; talent dictates gameplanning (both your team and the opponent). 

So that’s the question. Forget about where Darnold was drafted. Is his ceiling a game manager who possesses a gun-slinger/playmaker mentality off-script (think Ryan Fitzpatrick) or is he a put-the-team-on-your-back “franchise caliber” QB. Or is he somewhere in between (think Ryan Tannehill-level). That’s the question the Jets are asking themselves.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, football guy said:

I get he's been bad. Some his fault, some others. He's 23 years old though and hasn't had a stable situation. I want the Jets to bring in competition (Garoppolo?), but let the coach decide. If they're a good coach, the tape will tell him if they can implement different things to maximize Darnold's talent. If not, he'll go with someone else. 

This is very true, especially determining the situation he's traded to if he is traded.  If he is dealt to a situation like the Colts where they have a very strong coach who can get the most out of a QB, a good offensive system, a very very good offensive line.  People will be killing us on this board for trading him and not fixing him like they will.  I firmly believe that. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Woody is a lost toolbag 

he can’t outbid 5ys $20 million?

More likely he's letting his GM make the choice, and he just wants veto power in case JD recommends someone Woody thinks will be a PR embarrassment (which is unlikely to happen). Isn't this what we said we wanted? I know it's what I wanted. 

Seems if Woody was calling the shots on the HC hire that Harbaugh would have already received an offer. Woody has/had reportedly wanted JH for some time. 

Everyone in Florham Park is not oblivious to what we every fan can read re: Harbaugh/Michigan. If he was gettable to coach the Jets then this one is on Douglas not Woody, and it's too early to tell whether this is a good or bad thing. 

12 hours ago, football guy said:

I guess I'm just not seeing it.  The occasional, if not extremely rare, great play, has to be chalked up to luck at this point, based on how infrequent it happens.  And, frankly, many of those plays are routine for others.  The bar is so low for him at this point.

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think you missed the point. Most of his issues are easily diagnosable and fixable.

If this were true, you really believe that 3 coaching staffs, including at USC, weren't able to fix them?  They were all incompetent to fix an 'easily diagnosable and fixable' issue?

Occam's Razor, my (football) guy.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think you missed the point. Most of his issues are easily diagnosable and fixable. The question that remains: once “fixed”, how good can he truly be? I hate comparing other players but Alex Smith reached his potential. It took him 7-8 years, but that Alex Smith was the best Alex Smith we were going to see, despite all his athletic abilities. Mike Vick, same thing. The best athlete isn’t the best football player. Talent doesn’t dictate ceiling; talent dictates gameplanning (both your team and the opponent). 

So that’s the question. Forget about where Darnold was drafted. Is his ceiling a game manager who possesses a gun-slinger/playmaker mentality off-script (think Ryan Fitzpatrick) or is he a “franchise caliber” QB. That’s the question the Jets are asking themselves.

And that's conundrum for the Jets , sure they can wait 1 more year at a cost of 10M.  But If Sam is bad or even average then they may have missed out on a FQB at #2 for a season of meh.

If he has a good season then they are most likely committing to a extended contract and hope this past year wasn't a one year contract year blip.  To me that's too much risk to put into a QB that hasn't shown the ability to progress mentally in 3 years.  Its much less risky economically to get a rookie contract QB starting and building with the foundation of the team, and as a bonus we would be getting a highly rated potential FQB to boot.  

• Upvote 1