Jim Harbaugh possibly interested in Jets?

Updated 6:58 AM; Today 6:50 AM

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh may have his eyes on replacing Adam Gase on the New York Jets.AP

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Here we go again.

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh might be ready to take a ride on the NFL head coaching carousel following the New York Jets’ decision Sunday to fire Adam Gase. Or Harbaugh might just use the Jets’ opening as leverage for a contract extension with the Wolverines. Per The Athletic:

There is optimism inside Michigan football that a new deal with coach Jim Harbaugh will get wrapped up soon and the contract would be an extension through the 2026 season, a person with knowledge of the matter told The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman. … Harbaugh and Michigan brass are looking forward to his staying on leading the program. Harbaugh and the Wolverines have come through with a strong recruiting class this cycle (ranked No. 14 by 247Sports) in spite of all of the rumors swirling about his future there.

In addition, the Detroit Free Press reports “that decision could come as soon as Monday or be stretched out, but the university expects a decision this week. A multi-year contract extension has been offered to Harbaugh, but as of Saturday evening, no extension has been signed, sources close to the situation told the Free Press. The deal, which was initially offered as a three-year extension, would kick in on Jan. 11. That’s the day each year of Harbaugh’s contract has started since he was hired in 2014. … Harbaugh hasn’t signed it yet because he’s waiting to see if any NFL teams have interest in him as a head coach. … Harbaugh is said to have interest in the New York Jets. ... Harbaugh is also said to be interested in the Los Angeles Chargers job, should it come open.”

However NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero report Harbaugh is one of several college coaches who will be considered by the Jets.

Among the candidates who are slated to be considered are Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, Ravens defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale, Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith and Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley to college coaches such as Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh and Florida’s Dan Mullen to everyone in between.

Before returning to his alma mater as Michigan head coach, Harbaugh was with the San Francisco 49ers for four seasons, going 44-19 and leading them to Super Bowl XLVII, which he lost to his brother, Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh.

Jim Harbaugh also played 14 years in the NFL from 1987 to 2000. The quarterback had stints with the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, Ravens and San Diego Chargers.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh man. Any way you can fix the formatting? It’s impossible to read

Updated 6:58 AM; Today 6:50 AM

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh may have his eyes on replacing Adam Gase on the New York Jets.AP

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Here we go again.
Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh might be ready to take a ride on the NFL head coaching carousel following the New York Jets’ decision Sunday to fire Adam Gase. Or Harbaugh might just use the Jets’ opening as leverage for a contract extension with the Wolverines. Per The Athletic:
There is optimism inside Michigan football that a new deal with coach Jim Harbaugh will get wrapped up soon and the contract would be an extension through the 2026 season, a person with knowledge of the matter told The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman. … Harbaugh and Michigan brass are looking forward to his staying on leading the program. Harbaugh and the Wolverines have come through with a strong recruiting class this cycle (ranked No. 14 by 247Sports) in spite of all of the rumors swirling about his future there.

In addition, the Detroit Free Press reports “that decision could come as soon as Monday or be stretched out, but the university expects a decision this week. A multi-year contract extension has been offered to Harbaugh, but as of Saturday evening, no extension has been signed, sources close to the situation told the Free Press. The deal, which was initially offered as a three-year extension, would kick in on Jan. 11. That’s the day each year of Harbaugh’s contract has started since he was hired in 2014. … Harbaugh hasn’t signed it yet because he’s waiting to see if any NFL teams have interest in him as a head coach. … Harbaugh is said to have interest in the New York Jets. ... Harbaugh is also said to be interested in the Los Angeles Chargers job, should it come open.”

However NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero report Harbaugh is one of several college coaches who will be considered by the Jets.

Among the candidates who are slated to be considered are Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, Ravens defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale, Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith and Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley to college coaches such as Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh and Florida’s Dan Mullen to everyone in between.

Before returning to his alma mater as Michigan head coach, Harbaugh was with the San Francisco 49ers for four seasons, going 44-19 and leading them to Super Bowl XLVII, which he lost to his brother, Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh.
Jim Harbaugh also played 14 years in the NFL from 1987 to 2000. The quarterback had stints with the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, Ravens and San Diego Chargers.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

i'm not as down on this as many are here.  He's turned around every program he's been in.  It depends if you hold the last few seasons in Michigan against him over his body of work.  The Jets are looking for a "CEO" type.  

I wholeheartedly agree.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i'm not as down on this as many are here.  He's turned around every program he's been in.  It depends if you hold the last few seasons in Michigan against him over his body of work.  The Jets are looking for a "CEO" type.  

This ^ 

I couldn't care less that Harbaugh is not a very good recruiter for his needs at Michigan. Its obvious he's an above average HC which are very hard to come by. Rather than taking a chance with a first timer out of the college ranks or an OC from the NFL I'll take the proven winner every time. Parcells was an arrogant **** as well but he won so not sure why the hatred for Harbaugh.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'd be happy to have Harbaugh as Jets' coach, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As soon as the Johnsons are aware of the financial costs of landing a big-name coach like Harbaugh, that will be the end of his candidacy.

Pretty sure they are aware of the costs

• Upvote 2

I'd be excited for Harbaugh at this point. The whole 'fat girl at the dance' thread definitely has me sweatin'. 

But the only way this works is if JD can get see himself getting along with Harbaugh and if the Johnsons go big on the contract.

But the article is probably right; this is just leverage for the Michigan negotiations... but we're officially in the offseason... so, as is tradition:

Sign This Beast short money

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

He’s going to get paid more and Michigan than he would in Ny. Doesn’t need to use it as leverage.

Is he? Matt Ruhle got 7 years, $60 million with an additional $10 million in incentive pay. So, he's getting more than $8.5 million per year. With Harbaugh's track record, he would command at least $9.5 million/year and 9 years. I think Chuckie has the ceiling at 10 years, $100 million.

The rumor is that Michigan is offering 5 years and around $8.5 million. If it's money that is his concern, he will make more with the Jets. 

I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

bring the guy in.

he can't be any worse than these "hottest name right now coordinators" that you people want.

This.

I'm as anti-Harbaugh as it gets and I'll take him over any of the Mr. Irrelevant's on our shortlist.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

I'm as anti-Harbaugh as it gets and I'll take him over any of the Mr. Irrelevant's on our shortlist.

SAR I

I also do not like Harbaugh; and to be honest, I will have trouble rooting for any team he coaches - I also don't know if he is the right fit - that being said, he his head and shoulders above most of the people being talked about. I am also split on having yet another rookie HC - it works sometimes, but haven't we had enough of that. Of course, re-treads haven't really worked for us either - LOL...

surprised you are still posting so soon :-)

• Upvote 2