Jim Harbaugh possibly interested in Jets?

I'd be STOKED to get Harbaugh but kinda in the same vein of getting T Law - where I'm not convinced it's the best outcome but just want to feel excited about something Jets related.

I think JD would prefer a less volatile HC - Harbaugh could go nuclear at any moment.

I also think Harbaugh would prefer LA and SOFI stadium with an elite QB in hand, Justin Herbert is already everything people hope Trevor Lawrence will be, but maybe he doesn't get an offer or maybe he wants NYC.

If it happened I'd be excited whether it's the right thing or not.  At this point, all this reporting seems like an amalgamation of random hot takes - but it's the off-season which is every Jets fan favorite time of year haha

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's going to be fascinating to see how this unfolds. Douglas is casting a wide net but Harbaugh has a lot of fans within the Jets organization 

Harbaugh couldn't win at Michigan where he's in control of everything about that roster why does everyone assume he'd win here. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Harbaugh couldn't win at Michigan where he's in control of everything about that roster why does everyone assume he'd win here. 

Depends on what you mean by "Couldn't win."

He's 78-43 in college and 44-19 in the NFL. So, I would argue that he's been a consistent winner as a HC. Now, at Michigan, he hasn't won the big games (particularly OSU) and he has had a very disappointing 2020. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Depends on what you mean by "Couldn't win."

He's 78-43 in college and 44-19 in the NFL. So, I would argue that he's been a consistent winner as a HC. Now, at Michigan, he hasn't won the big games (particularly OSU) and he has had a very disappointing 2020. 

Yes , in college as we all know two things matter , winning your conference and than the National Championship.  At Michigan he gets to draw from HS talent from all over the country . The fact that he either hasn't recruited QB's heavily or hasn't done it effectively is a big red flag to me.  The QB play at Michigan has been mediocre at best under his watch , I don't want him working and developing our #2 pick. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes , in college as we all know two things matter , winning your conference and than the National Championship.  At Michigan he gets to draw from HS talent from all over the country . The fact that he either hasn't recruited QB's heavily or hasn't done it effectively is a big red flag to me.  The QB play at Michigan has been mediocre at best under his watch , I don't want him working and developing our #2 pick. 

Fair. 

I don't think Harbaugh is a perfect candidate by any means, but I would have to take a good look at him (although I still don't buy that he is all that interested).

I am a Michigan alum, and while by no means an insider, I have been a long time subscriber to the former scout- and now 247- board, so I read all the "insider" news there.  With that intro, I find it hard to believe that Harbaugh would be using the Jets as leverage in his negotiations with Michigan.  There are many powerful donors/backers of the football program who would be happy to see Jim go (and have made such views known to the AD), so I don't think the hold up on his contract is over extracting the final dollar on a contract.  i

it is possible harbaugh is waiting to see what, if any, nfl opportunities arise before he signs any purported extension with michigan.  i don't think they are haggling over dollars and cents, and i find it hard to believe, based on what is being reported by those in the know, that he will use an nfl offer to extract more from michigan.  more likely, many in the AD and of the powers that be will be happy to say sayonara, given that harbaugh quitting (rather than being fired) saves michigan from paying his guaranteed contractual buyout.

harbaugh has given no indication to anyone, including his coaches and the families of recruits/players, that he is looking to leave.  but it is clear he isn't YET ready to sign an extension with michigan.  major terms have more or less been agreed upon.  so the door remains open for a return to the nfl.  i'd have to think that the chargers job would look very attractive to JH.  as to the jets and his ability to work with douglas, i think he'd have some good insight into douglas from his brother.

hopefully there is some resolution on the michigan end within the next week.  sounds like there has been some deadlines applied by the AD, although what exactly is that deadline isn't known.  i like and respect harbaugh, and think he would be a good choice for the jets job, although i'm not sure he'd be my top choice.  he seems to have lost some passion the last couple of years.  maybe a return to the nfl re-invigorates him.  he is an excellent coach.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

his best QB recruit (jj mccarthy) will be hitting campus this month.  but yes, it is a valid question why he hasn't been able to recruit and develop a top QB yet.  he inherited a crappy QB room and hasn't seen any of his QB recruits develop as hoped.  there are a myriad of reasons why, but it's still a strike against him.  offsetting that of course is his success in the pros.

as to not winning a national title or even a conference title, it is a strike against him.  but not all teams play by the same rules.  for example, at michigan, players actually have to do stuff like go to class and get passing grades.  not sure that same applies equally to all schools, particularly those that regularly play for titles.

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

his best QB recruit (jj mccarthy) will be hitting campus this month.  but yes, it is a valid question why he hasn't been able to recruit and develop a top QB yet.  he inherited a crappy QB room and hasn't seen any of his QB recruits develop as hoped.  there are a myriad of reasons why, but it's still a strike against him.  offsetting that of course is his success in the pros.

as to not winning a national title or even a conference title, it is a strike against him.  but not all teams play by the same rules.  for example, at michigan, players actually have to do stuff like go to class and get passing grades.  not sure that same applies equally to all schools, particularly those that regularly play for titles.

I've heard that claimed by program supporters in all sports, ND, Clemson, Duke etc.. You really have to take a leap of faith to say those schools don't bend rules/polices/standards to allow for great athletes . Major sports bring in so much revenue to a College, it happens everywhere . 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I've heard that claimed by program supporters in all sports, ND, Clemson, Duke etc.. You really have to take a leap of faith to say those schools don't bend rules/polices/standards to allow for great athletes . Major sports bring in so much revenue to a College, it happens everywhere . 

i'm sure to some degree, it happens everywhere.  i won't pretend michigan (or anyone) is clean as snow.

but there are degrees of what is allowed to happen and who you can recruit and who your respective admissions department will accept, etc.  so yeah, i stand by my assertion that in this day and age, michigan and ohio state (for example) aren't playing on a level playing field.  some call it a self inflicted wound, and that may be correct.  but it does exist.

now ohio state's recruiting and their coaching are excellent.  i don't mean to take away from their successes.  but there are institutional reasons why michigan can't consistently compete with the ohio state's of the college football world.

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i'm sure to some degree, it happens everywhere.  i won't pretend michigan (or anyone) is clean as snow.

but there are degrees of what is allowed to happen and who you can recruit and who your respective admissions department will accept, etc.  so yeah, i stand by my assertion that in this day and age, michigan and ohio state (for example) aren't playing on a level playing field.  some call it a self inflicted wound, and that may be correct.  but it does exist.

now ohio state's recruiting and their coaching are excellent.  i don't mean to take away from their successes.  but there are institutional reasons why michigan can't consistently compete with the ohio state's of the college football world.

I agree to some extent, but power and success begets more power and success. If Michigan was winning the Big 10 every season , they would be pulling in some of the recruits that are now going to OSU, Bama etc ... Its just the way it goes.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree to some extent, but power and success begets more power and success. If Michigan was winning the Big 10 every season , they would be pulling in some of the recruits that are now going to OSU, Bama etc ... Its just the way it goes.

the problem didn't originate with harbaugh.  after carr retired, michigan went with rich rod and then hoke while ohio state built a powerhouse under tressel, meyer and now day.  

despite all the criticism harbaugh takes (some deserved), he still has a .700 winning percentage at michigan including this year's shyte-storm of a season.  rich rod was .405 and hoke was .608 (and his teams got progressively worse from 11-2 his first year to 5-7 his last), so it wasn't like harbaugh was taking over bo's michigan legacy (or even carr's).

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

A friend who is a Michigan graduate and follows the program closely is convinced that if the Jets make an offer, Harbaugh will take it. His feeling is that as much as Harbaugh wants to win at Michigan, he is tiring of all of the politics involved at coaching at a place like Michigan; if Harbaugh wanted to stay, he would have signed the extension already; and that Harbaugh is using the Michigan offer to set his value higher in terms of years and annual pay for the NFL job he desires.

Not factual. But, it is interesting to hear what someone who follows the program closely thinks.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Harbaugh is my one and ONLY #1 on any list!  This would be a Parcells level hire as far as I'm concerned!

• Upvote 3

Strong pass on this one....

Folks who do not elevate others are a strong no for me. Be it QBs like Tua, Sam, Wentz, etc.........

Or coaches like Jim, who blow it with the most talented team in the NFL.

I like my QBs to elevate others, such as Watson leading the league in passing. Oh, by the way....he is just missing his top receivers....one of which was traded away and happened to be the best in the NFL.....

And, I like my coaches to be able to elevate the team. Say what you want about NE, but considering what Bill had......The guy surpassed my expectations......

7 wins with THAT TEAM!? That had no TD pass in like, 5 weeks!? Damn....

I've been reading up on Harbaugh's contract extension and most of the reports say the offer had a lower base than his current salary with a chance to earn more than his current salary if incentives are reached. There was also more money for his assistant coaches.

So, let's review, the Michigan AD wants to pay Harbaugh less and only give him more money if he wins, but is OK with paying the assistants more money even if they lose. I don't know, but to me it seems like a slap in the face to Harbaugh. It is certainly not a show of faith. I know Harbaugh would never say anything bad about Michigan because it is his alma mater, but that is not the kind of offer an AD makes if he wants to keep the coach around. Plus it is only a 5 year deal with a lower buyout than his first contract. To me, the AD is saying "you can not leave here soon enough for me."

That's just my take on it. But, I would think if they really want Harbaugh around, they'd offer a higher base.

JD, CJ and Hymie get on the horn and tell Harbaugh you'll give him 9 years at $9 million/year!

For reasons that I can't say I understand, it would appear to me that Harbaugh is a better NFL coach than a CFB coach, particularly at a school like Michigan, which is in the cold weather and has academic standards.  Yes, so does ND.  And Northwestern.    But Harbaugh has obviously not performed as well at Michigan as people had expected.  

I don't know what his personal/family situation is, but it would appear to me that he is the most likely HC candidate to be successful/not bust.  He is what the Jets need.  If I were Michigan, I would not pay him what the Jets should be able to pay him. 

• Upvote 2

We just fired Gase who begot Bowles, who begot Rex Ryan & we have fans turning their nose up to Jim Harbaugh? A guy that had crazy success with the forty Niners with Colin Keapernick at QB who basically faded into obscurity when Harbaugh left for Michigan. 

Only Jet fans. We don't like nice things. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how I feel about Harbaugh. On one hand, he's a big name culture changer with great regular season success. He's a former QB so he's intimate with being able to work with them. These are things we desperately need.

However, on the other hand, his time there amounted to 0-1 in the super bowl despite having one of the most talented rosters in football for a 3 year window. He also grinds on everyone he works with and always leaves each job with worse relationships than he started.

On the third hand, there's really no legit other options that I feel great about. Plus there's the JD to John Harbaugh connection that JD can lean on to get Jim to buy in. 

I guess what I'm saying is let's go for it?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

We just fired Gase who begot Bowles, who begot Rex Ryan & we have fans turning their nose up to Jim Harbaugh? A guy that had crazy success with the forty Niners with Colin Keapernick at QB who basically faded into obscurity when Harbaugh left for Michigan. 

Only Jet fans. We don't like nice things. 

Again who was the OC for SF - Greg Roman. Is this a Pederson/Reich scenario like in Philly . Was it Harbaugh who got the most of Kap or was it Roman , likes he's currently doing for Harbaugh's brother is Balt with Jackson.  

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Issue with Harbaugh is that he is a cancer and will wear in people and players until the tumor is so large you just need to cut it out.

I'm not sure that's the truth.  it clearly hasn't happened in Michigan.

He did have some problems with the SF GM but there are a lot of reports it was more on the GM than Harbaugh.

Moreover, like anyone else - he can learn from mistakes.

I would love to hire him...

• Upvote 1