Mike LaFleur

rayzor

Not to be confused with his brother, Packers HC Matt LaFleur, is reportedly Salehs choice for OC.  This is obviously a crucial hire.  He's in his early 30's but has decent experience:

As coach:

Curious if Mike McDaniel was considered.  Hopefully, we won't wind up in a situation like the Dolphins last season.  Brian Flores had brought along Chand O'Shea, the WR's coach from NE, to be his OC in Miami.  He was eventually fired after his first season.  

I think McDaniel is the better Shanahan disciple between the two but they’re both great I feel. I do think Wilson/Darnold are better fits than Fields though with this type of offense. 

I still hope they draft QB although I think LaFleur can get Darnold playing a lot better. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I think McDaniel is the better Shanahan disciple between the two but they’re both great I feel. I do think Wilson/Darnold are better fits than Fields though with this type of offense. 

I still hope they draft QB although I think LaFleur can get Darnold playing a lot better. 

Just as long as its when they're playing Madden.

• Haha 1

Just read an article that provided some insight into how the 49ers offense worked.  It’s from SI, so take it with a grain of salt...

- Mc Daniel oversaw the running game

- Shanahan was the play caller and schemed the play-action passing game 

- LaFleur worked on the drop-back passing game, which according to the article, was very basic and designed to beat coverages

It seems both LaFleur and Mc Daniel do the bulk of the game planning during the week and hand it over to Kyle on game day.

Seems like LaFleur has got enough experience in the planning phase and I’m sure he can leverage Mc Daniel’s running concepts and Kyle’s overall implementation.  Seems like they all worked closely putting everything together.

I’m excited and hopeful, but the one thing we’re all going to need is patience.  On both sides of the ball.

It’s going to take time to get the base packaged installed, then moving to more complex schemes as existing players learn and we get better personnel.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Do you think Darnold is going to be able to handle a third new system?

Cimini said that the offense Bates ran in his rookie year was very similar to the shanahan offense so Darnold should have no problem picking it up

Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) Tweeted:
From an Xs and Os standpoint: Saleh runs a 4-3 base, predominantly zone. It's the Seattle/Pete Carroll system; lot of Cover-3. Mike LaFleur, expected to be OC, from the Shanahan school. Fits Sam Darnold, who ran similar scheme as rookie under Jeremy Bates. #Jets

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1349937273308123136?s=20

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, ID. said:

Just read an article that provided some insight into how the 49ers offense worked.  It’s from SI, so take it with a grain of salt...

- Mc Daniel oversaw the running game

- Shanahan was the play caller and schemed the play-action passing game 

- LaFleur worked on the drop-back passing game, which according to the article, was very basic and designed to beat coverages

It seems both LaFleur and Mc Daniel do the bulk of the game planning during the week and hand it over to Kyle on game day.

Seems like LaFleur has got enough experience in the planning phase and I’m sure he can leverage Mc Daniel’s running concepts and Kyle’s overall implementation.  Seems like they all worked closely putting everything together.

I’m excited and hopeful, but the one thing we’re all going to need is patience.  On both sides of the ball.

It’s going to take time to get the base packaged installed, then moving to more complex schemes as existing players learn and we get better personnel.

Bring in Beathard and the transition time will quicken very quickly. Then, you only have to worry about your rookie QB getting up to speed but Beathard can hold it down till he's ready. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Do you think Darnold is going to be able to handle a third new system?

Most pro QBs can handle new systems.  This is one of the biggest myths in football if you ask me, the big worry that a QB will not pick up a new system or is in trouble if he has to go through 3 systems in 4 years or whatever..  and after gases awful system it could only be a step up

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Bring in Beathard and the transition time will quicken very quickly. Then, you only have to worry about your rookie QB getting up to speed but Beathard can hold it down till he's ready. 

Yup.  Draft wilson at 2 and if hes not ready to go week 1, start beathered the 1st few games.

it would be hysterical for a group of jet fans to show up in "Average Joes" jerseys every week.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Good point, someone who knows the system already and help Fields/Wilson get up to speed... 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

LaFleur was brought in here for 1 reason and 1 reason only.  To install the Shanahan passing game concepts for either Darnold or a rookie.  That's it.  No further debate is required

nfl_pack_mock_cr_16x9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

I'm just going to leave this here.  Joe may even be okay letting him wear #12.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, pointman said:

The trend of younger and younger coaches is fine, but that resume looks awful short on big time experience. I guess he is either going to be a savant or.. a gase. 

I am just glad we are running with the modern day experiment at the O\C level and not HC.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I read the Shanahan offense relies a lot on the run game.  That’s why they have two coaches handling each part I suppose.  We might need a Mostert type.  Najee anyone??

The 49ers run game works because of the blocking scheme, not the RB. The 49er RBs are all free agents and late round picks.  No way in the world the Jets waste a high pick on a position that is easily filled and with players that have the shortest shelf life and highest injury rate in the NFL.  

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I can’t speak for LaFleur because it is his first time as the OC, but Shannahan has been able to adapt his system to fit his talent over the years. A lot of people claim that Fields is a poor fit for Shanahan’s system, but Shanahan was the only guy that got Robert Griffin to thrive in the NFL at Washington. Jets staff should figure out who they like best and adapt the system to that QB, not the other way around; otherwise, we are back to the same dilemma the team had with Gase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The 49ers run game works because of the blocking scheme, not the RB. The 49er RBs are all free agents and late round picks.  No way in the world the Jets waste a high pick on a position that is easily filled and with players that have the shortest shelf life and highest injury rate in the NFL.  

Wasn't Mostert a Jet at one point?

LaFleur was brought in here for 1 reason and 1 reason only.  To install the Shanahan passing game concepts for either Darnold or a rookie.  That's it.  No further debate is required

I think there will be another shoe to drop and an important hire on offense.  We may look to get a strong, experience OLine coach and Run Game Coordinator.  The 49ers went to the SB on the back of a great rushing attack led by the NFL's highest paid fullback.  If the Jets want early success on offense I think it may have to come out of a better than average rushing game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, pointman said:

The trend of younger and younger coaches is fine, but that resume looks awful short on big time experience. I guess he is either going to be a savant or.. a gase. 

Being a coordinator or even a HC is like the QB position you either have the brain power to make quick decisions or you don't I'm not sure age matters much if you have been around the game your entire life. As someone here said most NFL playbooks are the same only the terminology and some trick plays differ. How you develop a game plan vs different opponents is the key to being a good OC or DC along with adjusting at halftime if things are not going as planned. We have not seen that here or anything close to it with Bowles and Gase but its certainly the key to being a good HC and Coordinator.

• Upvote 1

The one positive thing about a Shanahan system is that it is very QB friendly. I think Darnold will play better in this system but the contract that above average QBs are getting are still approaching $25-$30 million per year. I'm not sure how you can commit to that when you have a chance to do a complete reset at the position this year after resetting the Coaching staff. You can bring in CJ Beathard for $4-$6 million and he can provide the same level of play in this offense as Sam could.  He's already proven that. Get what you can for Sam and move on. 

Well I get your point but I want to mention one thing. If CJ Beathard is the week one starter for the Jets next year I will ____________________

I just edited my own post. Let's just say, hopefully they shoot a little bit higher.

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think there will be another shoe to drop and an important hire on offense.  We may look to get a strong, experience OLine coach and Run Game Coordinator.  The 49ers went to the SB on the back of a great rushing attack led by the NFL's highest paid fullback.  If the Jets want early success on offense I think it may have to come out of a better than average rushing game.

Would like a quality veteran oline coach, I feel that position was the most mismanaged (after QB) under Gase. Go shake the Alex Gibbs coaching tree and pick me out a winner.

• Upvote 1