DeShaun Watson's Texans departure seems inevitable

5 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

Hes 25 they can build around him! I trust JD to construct a team that can compete in a couple of years... and Watson would still only be 27-28 in this scenario 

How do you build with no draft picks and slim cap space because they have to also pay him 40 million?  Where is this phantom talent coming from to help DeShaun?

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don’t think the Jets are firing their GM/HC after 4 games with total mutiny and players mailing it in here next year, so yeah, I would expect much better.  
And you’re not giving up the farm.  You would still have 1st round picks, a high 2nd and whatevs you get for Darnold in addition to probably still having close to 60 mil in cap space.  You can absolutely build around Watson and do so quickly.  

No you won’t.  You will have to give up 3 1st rounders including both this year that’s just a non starter.

11 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Hence, the reason I wouldn't be interested....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what I was attempting to point out was that your idea of a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a 25 year old franchise quarterback is, well, Arkham Asylum adjacent. 

We can all have differing views on the appropriate price.

I respect @Beerfish for his post about the value of the #2 overall compared to other first round picks, and I believe that's incredibly relevant to this discussion. 

But if your best offer is a 2nd or 3rd rounder... well... that's just not realistic. It's more than fair to just say "hey, I'd rather keep the picks and build the team over the long term." 

Because in essence, you're asserting that the value of Tesla Model S is a $1,000. You're free to create your own value, but that's simply just not in the realm of fair market value.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

How do you build with no draft picks and slim cap space because they have to also pay him 40 million?  Where is this phantom talent coming from to help DeShaun?

They could still theoretically sign Robinson and a guy like Thuney this off-season. Also it would depend on JD hitting on 2nd-4th rd picks

2 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

They could still theoretically sign Robinson and a guy like Thuney this off-season. Also it would depend on JD hitting on 2nd-4th rd picks

You put Watson on the team and suddenly our “trash weapoinz” look like guys who were held back trying to reel in ducks and dirt balls from the worst quarterback in the league — when he spotted they were open at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what I was attempting to point out was that your idea of a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a 25 year old franchise quarterback is, well, Arkham Asylum adjacent. 

We can all have differing views on the appropriate price.

I respect @Beerfish for his post about the value of the #2 overall compared to other first round picks, and I believe that's incredibly relevant to this discussion. 

But if your best offer is a 2nd or 3rd rounder... well... that's just not realistic. It's more than fair to just say "hey, I'd rather keep the picks and build the team over the long term." 

Because in essence, you're asserting that the value of Tesla Model S is a $1,000. You're free to create your own value, but that's simply just not in the realm of the market value.  

Yeah if that was the offer, the Texans FO would hang up immediately and block JD's number.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

No you won’t.  You will have to give up 3 1st rounders including both this year that’s just a non starter.

Why?  He's disgruntled and the Texans have limited leverage with his no-trade.  Besides, giving the #2 pick is akin to giving a starting QB to the Texans.  We get a starter, they get a starter.  And theirs is a hell of a lot more affordable.  I think the price is far less than you think.

SAR I

Just now, bla bla bla said:

That is from OTC, you have to deduct the signing bonus from each year. That part of the contract doesn't come with the trade since it's already been paid out.

Got it, thanks. I would give Houston pick #2; #34 and next years  later #1 for Watson if they are crazy enough to trade him. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I love this take.

We got 2 1sts for jamal. But if we give up 3 1sts for Watson its too much. That makes 0 sense. Hes a top 5 qb in the league and only 25 year old.

The trade is basically the jamal adams picks plus our 1 this year. If you wouldn't do that trade you need a brain transplant.

Now you see who you're dealing with.

Just now, SAR I said:

Why?  He's disgruntled and the Texans have limited leverage with his no-trade.  Besides, giving the #2 pick is akin to giving a starting QB to the Texans.  I think the price is far less than you think.

SAR I

I agree his no trade and the seemingly already torched bridge does appear to make the Texans leverage weak, but I think there will be so many teams calling that the price has to go back up, no?

He's a 25 and a FQB. 

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree his no trade and the seemingly already torched bridge does appear to make the Texans leverage weak, but I think there will be so many teams calling that the price has to go back up, no?

He's a 25 and a FQB. 

If we had the number one pick and we’re sitting on Trevor Lawrence, this would be a straight up one-for-one trade no?

So for Fields or Wilson, what’s the delta?  A future 1 or two 2’s?

The other teams calling make no difference. We are the only ones sitting on Fields or Wilson guaranteed.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Here's the trade. Jamal adams picks (2 1sts +3rd) plus our 1st this year. 

You still have 2nd,3rd, 4th & 2 5ths this year. Plus 1,2,3,4,5 etc. next year. 

Right now we're projected to have 70+ million in cap space. Watson makes 16 mill next year. So you still have 55 mill to put pieces around him this year.. plus all those draft picks.

Yes his contract jumps to 35 mill in 2022. But we have 140 million in cap space in 2022. So it's a non issue IMO.

If you couldn't build a team around Watson with 55 mill in cap space and all of those draft picks then we will suck forever.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If we had the number one pick and we’re sitting on Trevor Lawrence, this would be a straight up one-for-one trade no?

So for Fields or Wilson, what’s the delta?  A future 1 or two 2’s?

The other teams calling make no difference. We are the only ones sitting on Fields or Wilson guaranteed.

SAR I

I’m not so sure about the first assumption, since one quarterback has already proven himself in the league, and the other is just a projection - granted I’ll give you, one has a massive contract and the other does not. 

But the #2, and the opportunity to draft Fields or Wilson, is dependent on how you view those prospects. They’re not even close to as ‘clean’ or ‘highly rated’ as Trevor Lawrence.

I’m saying regardless of the original assumption - that the #1 would be a straight exchange for DWat - the rights to ‘your choice’ of two inferior, far more flawed prospects, is significantly less valuable. 

And considering the price of previous top flight talent-wise, or even just perceived talent, malcontents - I’d assume the quarterback will carry a premium. 

Sh*t I hope you’re right, and the #2 + a second rounder or two second rounders would be the price.

But if I’m JD, my initial offer is the #2 this year and a first rounder next year. And my absolute max is willing to throw in the 2023 first rounder to that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Here's the trade. Jamal adams picks (2 1sts +3rd) plus our 1st this year. 

You still have 2nd,3rd, 4th & 2 5ths this year. Plus 1,2,3,4,5 etc. next year. 

Right now we're projected to have 70+ million in cap space. Watson makes 16 mill next year. So you still have 55 mill to put pieces around him this year.. plus all those draft picks.

Yes his contract jumps to 35 mill in 2022. But we have 140 million in cap space in 2022. So it's a non issue IMO.

If you couldn't build a team around Watson with 55 mill in cap space and all of those draft picks then we will suck forever.

Yeah you ******* guys are priceless, Jamaal fetched 2 1st rounders plus, and you think DeShaun won’t start with our next 3 1st round picks WTF is wrong with you people.

Sure they want to find him in the draft. I think you kissed the point. You don't spend all the picks we attained to build the team correctly, then spend them to get a FA. That would be silly. 

We got those picks in the first place by avoiding spending $18M per on a Box Safety and accumulating picks in a trade. I’m good with using those picks, and then some, to get a real QB.

Watson would instantly be the best QB this franchise has had since Namath, and it wouldn’t be particularly close. He’s worth it.
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Yeah you ******* guys are priceless, Jamaal fetched 2 1st rounders plus, and you think DeShaun won’t start with our next 3 1st round picks WTF is wrong with you people.

In that scenario I gave them 3 1st and a 3rd. But **** it u could add in the 4th. You still have plenty of cap space and draft picks to build a team

5 of the 6 highest paid QBs played in January this year. 6 of 6 in last 2 years. 19 of 20 of the last SBs were won by a QB with at least one Pro Bowl under his belt and 16 of those by QBs either already in the HOF or well on their way.

YOU CAN WIN IT ALL WITH DERRICK HENRY AND DEFENSE DERP
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This situation in Houston can’t last for too much longer.

A worthy HC would not sign with them if there is no clear plan going forwards. Daboll/Bienemy would at least want Watson OR Fields/Wilson to develop. 

Also: JD will NOT overpay. He does not go for the sexy pick or trade. He likes draft picks. If we make the deal I will feel comfortable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Only point is I don't think it's a JD move.  If he's done with Sam, much more likely he's taking a QB at #2 and starting the clock over than putting $35 mil/yr into the QB position

Throw the book out in this case. It’s unprecedented. Top 5 QBs in their primes do not shake loose like this, ever.
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Just because JD fleeced Seattle doesn’t mean it sets a precedent for all future Jets trades.  Seattle was desperate.  The Jets are not.  If we can’t have Watson we can have Fields or Wilson, might actually wind up ahead.  

If Watson wants to come here, we have all the leverage.  He can tell Houston it’s New York or nothing. And they’ll play ball.  Because they will need a QB. And we’re the kingmakers in this draft.  

SAR I

Just like Seattle had all the leverage when Jamaal was burning down the Jets house?  Come on man even you can’t believe this sh*t your spewing?  Oh wait you don’t that’s why you covered your ass with or grab Fields or Wilson and maybe even come out ahead.  Priceless.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Throw the book out in this case. It’s unprecedented. Top 5 QBs in their primes do not shake loose like this, ever.

Hmmmmmm then why is this one shaking free possibly?  How the **** does that not put up a big red flag?  Open your eyes people.

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

This situation in Houston can’t last for too much longer.

A worthy HC would not sign with them if there is no clear plan going forwards. Daboll/Bienemy would at least want Watson OR Fields/Wilson to develop. 

Also: JD will NOT overpay. He does not go for the sexy pick or trade. He likes draft picks. If we make the deal I will feel comfortable. 

Welcome Wit... nice to have you aboard. 

I agree what coach would want to walk into a situation where your FQB is disgruntled and wants out. I’d need to know what the teams plan is and what can be worked out to rectify the situation or what assets you could obtain in a trade. 

• Upvote 1