Matt Stafford

riggy001

I have been giving this some more extended thought recently. At first, i dismissed it any many of you have, he is going to be 33 next month, not a fit for the Jets. That said, with so many Qbs still effective in their late 30s, and even 40s, rivers, brees, brady, ben, rodgers, etc., could easily argue that Matt is still in prime, with 4-5 very good yrs left. The other variables are even more favorable, signed for 2 more yrs at 45 million( border Line  cheap) for a qb with his resume. The draft capital will be Much less to give up compared to Watson, likely our 23 and a third or 4th gets it done. We can then trade out of 2, knowing we have a gd qb secured, and get the haul we all expect...and we still have our high second and 2 1st rounders next yr, as well as whatever we get for Sam.

2 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I have been giving this some more extended thought recently. At first, i dismissed it any many of you have, he is going to be 33 next month, not a fit for the Jets. That said, with so many Qbs still effective in their late 30s, and even 40s, rivers, brees, brady, ben, rodgers, etc., could easily argue that Matt is still in prime, with 4-5 very good yrs left. The other variables are even more favorable, signed for 2 more yrs at 45 million( border Line  cheap) for a qb with his resume. The draft capital will be Much less to give up compared to Watson, likely our 23 and a third or 4th gets it done. We can then trade out of 2, knowing we have a gd qb secured, and get the haul we all expect...and we still have our high second and 2 1st rounders next yr, as well as whatever we get for Sam.

First off it isn't  lime Stafford never played with talent.  He has had great WR in Megatron and Galloday. He just has not gotten that team over the hump. Secondly, Stafford won't want to play on the Jets.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You guys are nuts ... I invite you to study his stats and come back to this discussion ... guy is a beast.

So you're for trading for Stafford but against trading for Watson?

At least there's a reasonable argument to be made against trading for Stafford:  Despite him being one of the top 10 or so guys in the league, his age dictates we won't get many years of contention out of him for what we'd be giving up in a trade.

It's not the right fit for a rebuilding team.  The Jets are 2-3 years away from seriously contending and then he will be 35-36. Plus he is starting to break down. He missed half the season last year with a back injury and injured his thumb (but played through it) this season.  He's a good fit for a win now team like Indy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in NE as Belichick makes a push for a title the next year or two before he retires.

12 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He'd be a quantum leap over Darnold - but I am always wary of bringing a guy in who played his home games in a dome to the Meadowlands.

His arm strength has never been a question,  dude could toss a spiral through a blizzard. That said I got zero interest given the options currently available to us

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! 

By the time the Jets are ready to be competitive, Stafford will be 35+.  Not to mention, ZERO playoff wins in 12 years as a starting QB in the NFL.  Great stats.  Not a winner.  Part of that is team related.  Part of it isn't.  Not interested in paying 30 million a year to find out which factor contributed more.  Hard Pass.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! 

By the time the Jets are ready to be competitive, Stafford will be 35+.  Not to mention, ZERO playoff wins in 12 years as a starting QB in the NFL.  Great stats.  Not a winner.  Part of that is team related.  Part of it isn't.  Not interested in paying 30 million a year to find out which factor contributed more.  Hard Pass.

3 year rebuilds really aren't a thing anymore. Each NFL season is it's own entity.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Hell no has everyone gone mad

Jets fans have been battered so much that having a bad-to-mediocre team is being advocated for.  

That's what Stafford's teams have been...It really is insane to consider bringing him in to a full rebuild environment.  I'm sure he's not on JD's list.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Last season was the Gase purge

Oh, I completely agree.  Just commenting on a post that each year is unto itlself and there are no rebuilds.

What JD did absolutely is a 3 year rebuild at a minimum.  last year wasn't even a rebuild - it was, as you stated, a purge.  Rebuild starts this year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Oh, I completely agree.  Just commenting on a post that each year is unto itlself and there are no rebuilds.

What JD did absolutely is a 3 year rebuild at a minimum.  last year wasn't even a rebuild - it was, as you stated, a purge.  Rebuild starts this year.

The “3 year rebuild” narrative has been a convenient cop out for the Johnsons for the last 10 years of suckage

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You need to read better. 3 year rebuilds aren't a thing - which is what I stated. There's no reason the Jets can't win 7-9 games next year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

The “3 year rebuild” narrative has been a convenient cop out for the Johnsons for the last 10 years of suckage

True or not...That is, in fact, the situation we're in right now for sure.  There's few scenarios where this is a playoff team within the next two years.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Do you believe otherwise?

I can wish all I want - I just don't see how you turn this team around this year.  

Fix the QB position. It's the easiest and quickest way to put a competitive product on the field. Not having the worst QB in the NFL as Jet QB 3 years running will do wonders for the team's record.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

John Dorsey believed in at least a 3 year rebuild with the Browns. He got fired at the end of year 2. The idea it takes half a decade to put a winning product on the field is absurd.

Ofcourse.  Just look at the freakin New England Patriots. 5-11 in 2000, Mo Lewis causes Tom Brady to get off the bench they win the super bowl the following season