Todd McShay: Deshaun Watson only 'slightly better' than Sam Darnold

Bronx

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Sam Darnold and Deshaun Watson have operated on different ends of the spectrum throughout their young NFL careers.

Darnold has struggled in his first three seasons with the Jets, completing less than 60% of his passes and tossing only 45 touchdowns to 39 interceptions. This past season was Darnold’s worst yet, as he passed for a mere 2,208 yards and nine touchdowns to 11 interceptions in 12 games.

Watson, meanwhile has developed into one of football’s elite quarterbacks. He shined for a lowly Texans team last season, throwing for a career-high 4,823 yards and 33 touchdowns to go along with a 70.2% completion percentage and only seven interceptions.

Yet, for some reason, ESPN’s Todd McShay does not see much of a difference between the two.

Watson has been linked to the Jets for weeks, as he’s made it clear that he wants out of Houston. The 25-year-old formally requested a trade weeks ago, and New York has been labeled as an attractive landing spot.

Yet McShay, appearing on ESPN’s “First Draft” podcast Wednesday, suggested that the Jets should avoid offering a haul for Watson because he’s only “slightly better” than Darnold.

“I don’t think you’re getting a huge upgrade,” McShay said. “If I’m the Jets sitting at No. 2, I’m saying, ‘You know what? I love Deshaun. He’s a really good player. I might even think he’s slightly better than Sam, but if Sam’s content and Sam wants to help us build this thing, we have picks two and 23 in the first round this year; 34, 66 and 87. So, five picks in the first 87. That should be at least four starters that you’re getting right there and two really impact starters with that second and 23rd overall pick.

“‘And then, by the way, we have two first-rounders next year, a first-rounder in the second and a first-rounder in the third.’ So, you’re talking about four first-rounders, two second-rounders and three third-rounders. Count those up. I mean, you’re building half of a roster right there in the next two drafts.”

a first rounder in the 2nd and a 1st rounder in the third??? what the hell is he talking about?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

The only person that might agree with him is on this board. 

Singular? There are several people here that think Sam is Aaron Rodgers 2.0 just needing to be nurtured, coddled, and breastfed by a savant offensive genius (not named Gase of course) to unlock his Mortal Kombat levels of badassery. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Bronx said:

“‘And then, by the way, we have two first-rounders next year, a first-rounder in the second and a first-rounder in the third.’ So, you’re talking about four first-rounders, two second-rounders and three third-rounders. Count those up. I mean, you’re building half of a roster right there in the next two drafts.”

Someone please decipher this.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Singular? There are several people here that think Sam is Aaron Rodgers 2.0 just needing to be nurtured, coddled, and breastfed by a savant offensive genius (not named Gase of course) to unlock his Mortal Kombat levels of badassery. 

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Poorly worded but the sentiment is valid.  I will not be upset if we don't get Watson and I'd prefer not trading 3 firsts, let alone 4 to make it happen.

@pointman you were right I underestimated this board

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You’re the one agreeing with Todd McShay

I agree with the sentiment that all is not lost with an avalanche of picks the next 2 years including the 2nd overall and giving Sam a final chance with a real offense surrounded by a capable RB, improved OL that actually plays together more than a handful of games, and receivers who opposing teams have to actually worry about.

Lets see if the Pats want to run cover zero all game with Chase, Mims, Crowder, and Harris in the backfield.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

I agree with the sentiment that all is not lost with an avalanche of picks the next 2 years including the 2nd overall and giving Sam a final chance with a real offense surrounded by a capable RB, improved OL that actually plays together more than a handful of games, and receivers who opposing teams have to actually worry about.

Lets see if the Pats want to run cover zero all game with Chase, Mims, Crowder, and Harris in the backfield.

Sure because Sam will just get hit before he releases the ball. The Pats didn’t run cover 0 all day because of our WRs but because our QB has been worst in the league against the blitz every year he’s been in the league.

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

So simple .. and here I was trying to to fit Pac into Todd McShay: Todd McPac, Pac McShay.. Todd PacShay.. none of it flows

Todd McShay would slap your mug so violently your hair piece would fly 10 yards from your dome.

• Haha 1

Disagree with slightly lol but the point really is if Watson couldn’t carry the Texans roster, why believe that he can carry the jets?

houston will want a lot of what the jets have in the next 2 drafts to build around the QB they take at #2

The jets should take a QB at 2 and build around him or build around Sam 

Having Watson with junk around him and a mega contract just makes us the lions 

• Upvote 4