Keeping Darnold and the unspoken plight of a Jets Fan--

3 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

How many BYU games have you watched? You are writing this player off because he wasn’t on TV much and played against teams you have never heard of. Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones had the same talent advantages. 

Nobody saw BYU much because who is going to watch them play Troy or Louisiana Tech or even Costal Carolina  who they lost to. The question is rediculous. All anyone anyone has seem is his YouTube highlights. Nobody even heard of this kid the year before because he sucked. Now we are going to spend the 2nd pick on a one year wonder who played some of the worst teams in college?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I personally  think Wilson has bust written all over him. I have never seen a QB with so many red flags rated so high and I think it is possible  he makes Darnold  look like an all pro when he enters then league. This guy had one great season against dog ? teams and lost to the one nationally  ranked team he played against. The guy had enough time to drink a cup of coffee in that pocket. The arm talent is undeniable  but he has been in polar opposite position  than what Darnold has been as far as team and competition.

I have a feeling your next sentence would have had something remotely factual in it. I know it would. I wish I could have read it, brother.

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think there is anything wrong with drafting a game breaking receiver  or a brick wall of an OT. 

Yes, yes there is when your QB is the worst QB in football with a clean pocket. It's like giving a chimpanzee a ferrari hoping he'll get you to the Walmart faster than he did with the 72 Nova.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

I have a feeling your next sentence would have had something remotely factual in it. I know it would. I wish I could have read it, brother.

Right,  just keep having that open mind. I'm sure closing off anything that doesn't  follow your knee jerk reaction will get you far.

3 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

Yes, yes there is when your QB is the worst QB in football with a clean pocket. It's like giving a chimpanzee a ferrari hoping he'll get you to the Walmart faster than he did with the 72 Nova.

The team isn't  a QB away from competing 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Right,  just keep having that open mind. I'm sure closing off anything that doesn't  follow your knee jerk reaction will get you far.

I find it highly ironic that you are claiming the intellectual high ground when you have admitted that you have not watched the thing you claim to know about.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Of all the options, Sam at 5 mil cash is the cheapest therefore that's what they are going to do 

Watson at 30 million plus per year is the most expensive and therefore the least likely 

Yes its just that simple 

The cheapest move would actually be to pick a new QB at #2, and right now I don't see that as the most likely one. It's not just the money. 

The logic behind rolling with Darnold would be to build the team around him and see what he can do. One way or another the team will be significantly different this year from last. They can do a lot more work on the rest of the team by sticking with Sam, trading down from #2 (hopefully adding a first rounder in 2022 in the process), and using all those picks and cap space to create a functional football team. The Jets have six selection in the top 103 (<~ clearly cherry picking here) and more cap space than 90% of the league. I expect major purchases at WR and on the OL, and then more OL and skill player help in the draft.

Trading for Watson would negate a lot (if not most) of that ability to improve the rest of the team. Taking the QB at #2 ties Saleh to the rookie before he even gets his program up and running. The pragmatic approach is to build the program, add that third first rounder in 2022, and see where you're at. Absolutely have to have another starting caliber QB on the roster in case Darnold continues his decline rather than bouncing back, but with three firsts in 2022, you're in position again to draft or trade for a QB next year. 

As always, it'll come down to their evaluations of the QBs vs. their current evaluation of Sam, and the price/availability of Watson, but there is a clear case to be made to stick with Darnold for one more year. 

• Upvote 3

Baker Mayfield went ahead of Sam Darnold.  The mediocre midget QB on a completely stacked team went ahead of Sam Darnold.  Mac drafted Sam Darnold after the Giants, who needed a QB passed on Darnold.  

When I look at that logically I'm thinking there were doubts about Sam Darnold coming out.  He has certainly lived up to the doubts.  

We have the No. 2 pick, we don't need a LT.  If we can get a haul from someone else I take it.  We could roll with Sam another year but if the plan is to fix him through coaching and talent,I would be suspect.  The surest way to find out how much of the Sam is still a great prospect is to put him on the trade block along with the No. 2 pick. 

That would allow our coaching staff to put aside the ego that anyone could succeed in our system to what the entire league thinks of Sam.  

My biggest fear is we pass on Fields or Jones and the Pats have another QB that is head and shoulders better than ours for the next 10 years.  They along with the Bills and possibly the Fins will be killing us for years.

Past performance is not a guarantee of Sams future.  Do we speculate that he can be our future and is that really how a well managed team operates? 

That's not a rhetorical question.  I think the Jets are at an inflection point where the wrong decision could mean a decade in the basement of the AFC east. 

My fear is that the Jets go another year with Sam, he improves marginally in the new system but not nearly enough to warrant a new contract, and we are looking at QBs again in 2022 with possibly the worst class of QBs in the last 5 or so years.  I get wanting to build a “roster” but unless Sam becomes some outlier with his career dramatically bouncing back, the Jets are going to have to use additional draft capital to get another QB anyway, I’d rather take the superior prospect this year and not have to roll the dice that Sam miraculously turns things around.  

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

I find it highly ironic that you are claiming the intellectual high ground when you have admitted that you have not watched the thing you claim to know about.

I am going by the numbers. The numbers say this guy sucked in 2019 and played at a high level against the dregs of college football the next season. Are you going to tell me you watched BYU play all season last year  blow out garbage teams? Even Sam played well against the cupcake schedule we had in 2019. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Maybe i'm out in the left field with this one... but the biggest reason why I shed my Darnold love like a paper boat down a storm was "I don't want to feel divided anymore"

Of course i would like to see Darnold rehabbed by the new Regime, trade back and reap the rewards of copious Draft picks. Of course it would be nice to just believe in him again... 

but is that really possible?

Is it possible to watch him again not feel like we're "treading water"? Genuine question for you guys. 

Adam Gase was a nightmare. But even when there was (brief at best) moments of positivity, it's still puts the fan in a predicament of getting behind those moments. I'm tired of feeling divided about what's best for the Jets. I don't want to watch a "semi-improved" Darnold and feel challenge to buy-in on a weekly basis - to have wrestle with the reality of can Darnold keep it up, is this going to last, etc... It's not much different that a bad relationship, where at some point - you ask what's best in the long run. 

I've come to terms with the separation and want to start 2021 with nothing but hopeful optimism. I think that's with Fields, maybe some of you feel that's Wilson or Watson - whatever... but i don't want to watch the Jets on eggshells anymore

Stick by your beliefs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think the real dilemma the FO faces is that they are "stuck" with the #2 pick.  What the hell do that do with it.  Trade down would be nice but is there really a team willing to trade up to the crappy #2 spot?   

So Take LT; I don't think so.

Take WR might be the best of the poor choices and the least overreach for the spot.  

Needles to say, all these QBs are an overreach.

Bottom line, I'll be sitting at my TV on draft day  I pray some team is hungry enough for an LT to help us out.      

I completely disagree with this, having the #2 pick has given the Jets an almost endless list of possibilities for thier new HC. There will be plenty of teams looking to jump up, particularly the Falcons, Lions, Panthers and 49ers. The biggest issue with the #2 pick is that Sam was so bad last year that it's hard to know what to do with him. The Adam Gase hiring could not have been times worse.

It's not worth discussing at this point. 

If Sam is as bad as some here believe, we will be sitting here this time next year talking about drafting one of the 3 or 4 "generational talents" at QB who we probably never heard of yet. 

The biggest problem with the "MUST DRAFT QB NOW" crowd is that they are overwhelmed by FOMO.

As if this is ony chance we have to get the QB position right.  It's misguided, but I get it. FOMO is a bitch.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

From what I've been hearing and reading about this "quarterback-friendly system"  the new staff will be implementing, it won't make much difference if it's Sam, Deshawn, Zach Wilson or Ryan Fitzpatrick LOL!

I think at this point it's just a matter of whether or not Joe Douglas can come up with a plan for Sam's next contract? What's he worth? I don't think there would be much of a difference between him and Zach Wilson.

Taking a step back we all know Sam has had some seriously bad luck since he's come into the league.

What has me befuddled is that when Adam Gase got here, he praised Darnold's natural talent. He talked up the quarterback's ability to make very difficult throws with ease, and his uncanny knack for off schedule plays.. right?

However Gases Playbook was rigid and precise. It didn't allow for movement or improvisation by the modern NFL quarterback. I don't think Gase taught Sam Darnold anything! 

In his oversight I think the former HC really did believe in Darnold but he was just an over-thinker.. and he assumed that Sam's natural Talent would prevail in his system and it didn't.

I have no idea when it was but I saw a Sabo piece explaining the offense, and the routes the WRs were running made what the QB was seeing ridiculously complex.

I think Sam would do just fine and Shanahan's offense I also think he'd do fine in Kansas City cuz he's that type of player he's a fun Streetball kind of QB.

So in closing Adam Gase should have made his play-calling more practical and less precise and trying to be perfect. Sam would have had more success.

The future of the current QB of the New York Jets comes down to whether or not the GM believes he's worth another contract.

IMO that's all it really comes down to. Sam is still young, but is he that much better than Fields or Wilson to justify the big money deal he has coming?

Coaches wtih Aspergers are hell. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If Sam is as bad as some here believe, we will be sitting here this time next year talking about drafting one of the 3 or 4 "generational talents" at QB who we probably never heard of yet. 

The biggest problem with the "MUST DRAFT QB NOW" crowd is that they are overwhelmed by FOMO.

As if this is ony chance we have to get the QB position right.  It's misguided, but I get it. FOMO is a bitch.

How could we possibly be that bad? We built da team.

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I am going by the numbers. The numbers say this guy sucked in 2019 and played at a high level against the dregs of college football the next season. Are you going to tell me you watched BYU play all season last year  blow out garbage teams? Even Sam played well against the cupcake schedule we had in 2019. 

1) You don't know what you're looking at, but you haven't even bothered to really look, so I can't blame you. I guarantee you Zach Wilson made more tight window throws than ANY QB in the top of the draft.

2) He was injured that season

3) You're counting his second to last season as equal to the very last thing he did, so you have no credibility

4) Name the perennial FBS powerhouses that Josh Allen beat. Do the same for Ben Roethlisberger.

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Maybe i'm out in the left field with this one... but the biggest reason why I shed my Darnold love like a paper boat down a storm was "I don't want to feel divided anymore"

Of course i would like to see Darnold rehabbed by the new Regime, trade back and reap the rewards of copious Draft picks. Of course it would be nice to just believe in him again... 

Is it possible to watch him again not feel like we're "treading water"? Genuine question for you guys. 

Adam Gase was a nightmare. But even when there was (brief at best) moments of positivity, it's still puts the fan in a predicament of getting behind those moments. I'm tired of feeling divided about what's best for the Jets. I don't want to watch a "semi-improved" Darnold and feel challenge to buy-in on a weekly basis - to have wrestle with the reality of can Darnold keep it up, is this going to last, etc... It's not much different that a bad relationship, where at some point - you ask what's best in the long run. 

I've come to terms with the separation and want to start 2021 with nothing but hopeful optimism. I think that's with Fields, maybe some of you feel that's Wilson or Watson - whatever... but i don't want to watch the Jets on eggshells anymore

I'm thinking that the worst coach and staff in the league these last 2 years ruined a lot of things...one of them being optimism and enthusiasm of the fans.

I totally get it.  Darnold did not look very good at all the last 2 years.  I understand anyone who wants to just cut bait and start fresh.  After Gase, I understand the feeling to just burn it all to the ground and start fresh.

In my opinion, even if DeShaun Watson is our starter, 2021 is going to be a re-building year.  What's the best we can honestly expect?  Maybe sneak into the playoffs and lose in WC round?  That's if everything falls into place and goes perfect.  

With that as a backdrop, factor in:

- What can we get by trading out of #2?  By all accounts, a LOT...potentially a franchise altering haul which can be used to speed up the rebuild.

- If you go back and watch Sam his Rookie year, he did have moments where he flashed big-time.  Even the last few years, you can find a few brief glimpses which make you go "Wow".  Go back and watch from his rookie year the Colts and Packers games...if this coaching staff thinks they can harness his natural ability and mentally get him past the nightmare which was the last 2 years, what do we really have to lose by giving it a shot?

Best case scenario, Darnold proves himself to be much much better than what we've seen the last few years.  Worst case scenario, he flops, the backup plays a bunch this year, and we acquire a new QB for 2022.

I would also analyze what is going on in Houston and Seattle.  Look if you draft a QB at 2 this year, you may actually miss an opportunity later on down the road.  The situation in Houston looks like a complete mess.  DeShaun says he's done, will not play for Texans again, and Houston saying they are not trading him.  I think that whole team is in disarray right now, they don't know what they are doing.  It takes 2 to make a trade, we can't just acquire DeShaun here in March 2021 if Houston is not willing to trade him, or demands so much that it's laughable.  Eventually this thing will come to a head, either in training camp or once the 2021 season starts and DeShaun sticks to his guns and does not show up.  By not picking a QB at 2, by building the team around Darnold and perhaps acquiring more 2022 picks, the Jets may actually be putting themselves into prime position to eventually add Watson at a reasonable cost.  

Now look to Seattle...all is not well there. Who knows what happens between the team and Russell Wilson.  If he's not traded before the 2021 draft, there's a decent chance he is traded at some point after.  Maybe they decide give it 1 more shot in 2021, which may ultimately fail, at which time he may be available in a trade.  

I have to think JD is plugged in and looking around at the landscape and may come to a similar conclusion.

Keep the faith, my friends.  Just because we go into 2021 with Darnold as our starter does not mean that we are married to him years to come.  And the kid just may surprise you.  Ultimately, he may be the QB we are all seeking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

The cheapest move would actually be to pick a new QB at #2, and right now I don't see that as the most likely one. It's not just the money. 

The logic behind rolling with Darnold would be to build the team around him and see what he can do. One way or another the team will be significantly different this year from last. They can do a lot more work on the rest of the team by sticking with Sam, trading down from #2 (hopefully adding a first rounder in 2022 in the process), and using all those picks and cap space to create a functional football team. The Jets have six selection in the top 103 (<~ clearly cherry picking here) and more cap space than 90% of the league. I expect major purchases at WR and on the OL, and then more OL and skill player help in the draft.

Trading for Watson would negate a lot (if not most) of that ability to improve the rest of the team. Taking the QB at #2 ties Saleh to the rookie before he even gets his program up and running. The pragmatic approach is to build the program, add that third first rounder in 2022, and see where you're at. Absolutely have to have another starting caliber QB on the roster in case Darnold continues his decline rather than bouncing back, but with three firsts in 2022, you're in position again to draft or trade for a QB next year. 

As always, it'll come down to their evaluations of the QBs vs. their current evaluation of Sam, and the price/availability of Watson, but there is a clear case to be made to stick with Darnold for one more year. 

The number 2 pick gets like 20 million guaranteed regardless of position. Add on the 5 mil dead cap on darnold and that's the 2nd most expensive option 

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

And Ironically, by drafting a QB at 2, we may be Missing Out on much better options down the road!  That is the FOMO I currently have.   How bad would it suck to take a QB at 2, then miss an opportunity to make a reasonable trade for DeShaun Watson down the road, only to watch him to to the Fins?  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

No reason to be divided.  This decision is not up to us.  Anybody think the coach and the GM should not make the call?  Then good.  Let’s sit back and support the decision of the football men.  We don’t have to be divided by message board maniacs 

This.  I am ready to move on from Darnold.  Really hoping we find a way to get Watson at reasonable cost, and if not, then I hope we go Fields in the draft.  With 4 more picks in the top 100, maybe 5 if we trade Sam, plus $75M cap space, we can draft a QB and still build around him.  It is not an either/or.

But if the guys in charge in Florham Park want to build around Sam and give him one more year, I will not be divided.  I will be rooting for Sam to light it up and leave no doubt that he is a potential top 10 QB.  I don't expct it to happen, but I will happily eat crow.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Five years from now it would not surprise me at all if a guy like Mac Jones or the big unknown, Lance were the top Qbs from this draft, and that includes Lawrence.

100%. Also because I think the situations these guys go to, like how it always is, will play a big role on their success. I think these QBs are on pretty even ground, lots of pro's and con's to all their games. 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

The Darnold dream is tough one.  And seems quite unrealistic. He's gonna have to come out of the gate playing at a HIGH level for us not to question him and think, OK, he's turned it around.

I don't wanna go through these extreme Highs and Lows and finish the season with a question mark at QB still.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

1) You don't know what you're looking at, but you haven't even bothered to really look, so I can't blame you. I guarantee you Zach Wilson made more tight window throws than ANY QB in the top of the draft.

2) He was injured that season

3) You're counting his second to last season as equal to the very last thing he did, so you have no credibility

4) Name the perennial FBS powerhouses that Josh Allen beat. Do the same for Ben Roethlisberger.

Ben was selected 11. Eli and Rivers were selected before him. Allen was 7th with Mayfield and Darnold going before him. If the Jets trade down with whoever and take Wilson 7th or 11th, I'm on board with that but not the second pick.

And I'm not counting anything. I'm comparing how a cupcake schedule can even make a poor QB look good.

And just like everyone else, you included, the most anyone has seen are highlights of Wilson. Nobody spent 3 hours of a Saturday watching BYU play total trash unless you went to BYU and maybe even then you chose to watch a better game. We watch the best of Wilson on you tube. I can show you USC highlights of Darnold that will make him look like a God also. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ben was selected 11. Eli and Rivers were selected before him. Allen was 7th with Mayfield and Darnold going before him. If the Jets trade down with whoever and take Wilson 7th or 11th, I'm on board with that but not the second pick.

And I'm not counting anything. I'm comparing how a cupcake schedule can even make a poor QB look good.

And just like everyone else, you included, the most anyone has seen are highlights of Wilson. Nobody spent 3 hours of a Saturday watching BYU play total trash unless you went to BYU and maybe even then you chose to watch a better game. We watch the best of Wilson on you tube. I can show you USC highlights of Darnold that will make him look like a God also. 

When selecting a QB the difference between 11 and two is inconsequential. If you like him at 11, you like him at two. There is more at stake than nine draft slots.

I have watched every passing play and every run from almost every game he played this year. You should try again.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think there is anything wrong with drafting a game breaking receiver  or a brick wall of an OT. 

Except we have traditionally drafted and signed brick walls of WRs.  I'm guessing that's not the same thing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I suspect the decision on what to do with Sam will come after LaFleur and company sit down with Sam and go over the offense. If I'm them, I don't watch him do anything first thing. I sit him in the classroom before I even show him the offensive play book and ask him to call out protections, from different teams and offenses. To me that will tell me how much he truly understands the game. If he can show me (LaFleur) that is, that he can read them and identify hot reads, blitzers, etc... then I go on to the next phase which would be field work. After that evaluation of Sam, then I make my evaluation to Saleh, and JD.

That's all I want to know is happening before they make a decision on Sam. If he passes, then I'm cool with sticking with him, if not, then it's time to trade or draft someone else. End of debate.

Nice idea, but that won't come until well after free agency.  The offseason workouts can't even start until April.  The draft is pushed back, but you'll still have less than a month to make that decision.  

Let's look at this another way...

Maybe the Jets best strategy would be to let everyone know #2 overall is for sale.  

Put the Texans into a corner, basically saying to them - hey if you want #2 overall, you'd better come to the table with a reasonable trade offer before the draft, otherwise, this pick is going to someone else.  Maybe they negotiate, maybe they don't.  

Either way, the Jets need to worry about the Jets.  They need to concentrate on building up the team around the QB, whomever that may be in 2021 and beyond.

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Let's look at this another way...

Maybe the Jets best strategy would be to let everyone know #2 overall is for sale.  

Put the Texans into a corner, basically saying to them - hey if you want #2 overall, you'd better come to the table with a reasonable trade offer before the draft, otherwise, this pick is going to someone else.  Maybe they negotiate, maybe they don't.  

Either way, the Jets need to worry about the Jets.  They need to concentrate on building up the team around the QB, whomever that may be in 2021 and beyond.

This a is brilliant strategy 

2 hours ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

The Ferrari, or the Nova for that matter won't go anywhere without gas or tires.

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Maybe i'm out in the left field with this one... but the biggest reason why I shed my Darnold love like a paper boat down a storm drain was "I don't want to feel divided anymore"

I respect your passion and your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.  I equate Sam Darnold to a better version of Mark Sanchez. And Mark Sanchez was good enough to lead the team to 2 AFC Championship games.  I would prefer the best wide receiver or the best offensive tackle in the draft, which will immediately improve our team, to help get us where we need to be.  

• Upvote 1