Watch Mac Jones Fall Into Patriot's Lap

5 minutes ago, docdhc said:

How do you keep players and coaches from trying to win a game?

It is not a matter of telling players to under perform or throw plays.  Winning int the NFL even against losing teams is hard to do.  You need to prepare, plan and execute. 

There are many ways to avoid doing any of those three or all three without having to say a word out loud. 

41 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If the 49ers are as smart, you'd win the bet.  Let's see if their GM agrees with me with Jones being a better prospect than Fields or Lance.  And a better bet than Wilson for that matter, but he will be off the board when the 49'ers are up at 3

Other than my musing about Jones falling to the Pats, I see the first ten in the draft going like this

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Pitts

5. Chase (possible Sewell.  Even thought he may be a risk, the previous injury to QB JB may entice them into the        Sewell pick rather than taking what looks to be the best WR in the draft.

6. Sewell (if Bengals don't go for him, Chase if they do

7. Waddel

9. Horn

10. Fields

Agree with you?  Since they made the trade everyone has been saying they’re taking Jones.  
Not a stretch with that one.

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I was clearly implying that I would take the bet regarding your claim about Wilson being out of the league in 4 years.

Name any price because I will bet he isn’t.

Very possible you are correct.  He may be another reclamation project like Darnold is now in four years, or he may be a back-up.  The point is, Wilson is a very risky pick.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree with you?  Since they made the trade everyone has been saying they’re taking Jones.  
Not a stretch with that one.

Many of the mock drafts have the 49ers taking Fields.  Some Lance.  Agree, not a stretch, but not a sure bet.  The larger point is that most of the GM's would agree to take Jones before Fields or Lance.  Heck, I think the Jets should take Jones and not Wilson. 

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Very possible you are correct.  He may be another reclamation project like Darnold is now in four years, or he may be a back-up.  The point is, Wilson is a very risky pick.  

By far the best QB in this draft not named Lawrence. And he’s closer to him than he is to the rest. The Jets are lucky to have him. He’s ten times the prospect that Darnold ever was.

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Many of the mock drafts have the 49ers taking Fields.  Some Lance.  Agree, not a stretch, but not a sure bet.  The larger point is that most of the GM's would agree to take Jones before Fields or Lance.  Heck, I think the Jets should take Jones and not Wilson. 

Pretty much all have Jones.  Jones had his pro day and then they traded up.  
Before Fields pro day.  Might be nothing but seems odd

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much all have Jones.  Jones had his pro day and then they traded up.  
Before Fields pro day.  Might be nothing but seems odd

Agree.  Important fact there.  Either they liked Jones at his pro day, or perhaps they just wanted to make sure they were in striking distance of the two QB's not going to the Jags or Jets. 

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Agree on Jones being #2. 

Lawrence - Jones - Fields - Wilson.

Jones and Fields virtual tie for me but edge to Jones.

No opinion on Lance.

Hell, I'd take Lance over Jones. Anyone who puts  Jones at #2 probably put Trubisky ahead of Watson and Mahomes in the 2017 draft.

• WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

It's easy to look like the #2 QB in the draft when you played for a team that was loaded with studs at every position except the QB position. Hell, even Alabama's 3rd stringers are good enough to start else where.

40 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Hell, I'd take Lance over Jones. Anyone who puts  Jones at #2 probably put Trubisky ahead of Watson and Mahomes in the 2017 draft.

no but i did put baker over darnold and rosen as undraftable.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

You have been here long enough to know better.emoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji24.png

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Jets fans are capable of incredible double-think. Usually those with the strongest negative response to the idea rebound to have the strongest positive response to the act.

42 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

It's easy to look like the #2 QB in the draft when you played for a team that was loaded with studs at every position except the QB position. Hell, even Alabama's 3rd stringers are good enough to start else where.

I dig.  Surrounding talent and level of competition is key in making evaluations.  Look how many USC QB's were rated as top prospects... How did they end up ??? QED. 

58 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree.  Important fact there.  Either they liked Jones at his pro day, or perhaps they just wanted to make sure they were in striking distance of the two QB's not going to the Jags or Jets. 

Could be but IMO thats a tough deal given all they gave up and not knowing who they'll be taking over the position.  Also I dont think teams decide to draft a QB off their pro days.  I think the pro days just validate, good or bad, what teams thought of that QB

I think the Jets were pretty sure they were drafting Wilson and his ridiculous pro day sealed it.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

no but i did put baker over darnold and rosen as undraftable.

Not too many had Rosen as undraftable.  Good call. 

I had it:

1. Baker

2. Sam

3. Rosen

4. Allen

I was off the mark.   Especially on Allen who I figured would never be accurate or consistent enough for the NFL. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

It is not a matter of telling players to under perform or throw plays.  Winning int the NFL even against losing teams is hard to do.  You need to prepare, plan and execute. 

There are many ways to avoid doing any of those three or all three without having to say a word out loud. 

You mean like calling a cover 0 blitz up 4 with no time left?  There are only some many times you can get away with that sh*t.  There are ways to get fined and have your picks forfeited without saying a word. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You mean like calling a cover 0 blitz up 4 with no time left?  There are only some many times you can get away with that sh*t.  There are ways to get fined and have your picks forfeited without saying a word. 

And, with that, you have stumbled on how and why the Jets brass got *maneuvered* out of Trevor Lawrence.  There are several NFL owners that don't like or respect the Jets and their ownership.  Some who didn't want to see the a generational prospect like Lawrence wind up with the Jets. 

Pressure was put on the league office and in turn, they contacted the Jets and threatened them with forfeiture of their draft pick if it could be proven that they were throwing games.

There was "insider" talk about coaches on the Jets that were pissed off about having to throw games and this point was made to the Jets brass.

It was then, that the Jets began their winning ways.

And so... We get Wilson and not the guy we could have had. 

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not too many had Rosen as undraftable.  Good call. 

I had it:

1. Baker

2. Sam

3. Rosen

4. Allen

I was off the mark.   Especially on Allen who I figured would never be accurate or consistent enough for the NFL. 

Didn't even really bother learning about Allen. Knew Macc would make a superficial comparison to Hack and his butthole would pucker from that bad memory and he would never, ever draft him. If Giants took Darnold, there is a 100% chance Macc was taking Rosen. And we would be hearing the exact same excuses about Rosen's god-awful play as we do about Darnold's -- bad coaching, can't evaluate due to poor supporting cast, etc.

Call me a simpleton but good players play good, especially over significant sample sizes. It's really that basic. If you're making excuses for your FQB, you don't have a FQB.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Inexperiance isn't a red flag. Being caught on tape running from the cops when you're not wanted is a red flag.

It is absolutely a red flag. Maybe the biggest one.

Literally one QB in the history of the NFL has been successful with one season starting at college and that was Cam Newton, who was pretty exceptional in a lot of ways. Lance may be good but he will be a huge outlier. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

After Trevor Lawrence, I have Mac Jones rated as the second best QB prospect in the draft.  

I have a feeling he's going to wind up landing right in Belichick's lap.

Would that not just be sooo much like the Jets and the Pats ???

The Jets take Zac Wilson at 2'nd overall and he's out of the league in four years.

Mac Jones lands at the 15th spot with the Patriots, is out of the starting gate quickly and wins a Super Bowl before his rookie contract is up.

Wanna bet ?

Look I have concerns about Wilson but I like to have e a positive attitude.  Too many of our fans are negative all the time 

• Upvote 1