JM- the day 3 draftee with the most exciting athletic #s

Arkansas Pro Day: Jonathan Marshall shines

While Feleipe Franks is the best-known Razorbacks prospect outside the scouting community, several defensive players really turned heads today. Defensive lineman Jonathan Marshall, graded as a priority free agent before the season, moved himself into Day 3 conversation with his workout today.

Marshall measured a shade over 6-foot-3 and 310 pounds. He completed 36 reps on the bench press (32 ½ inch arms), touched 32 in the vertical jump, and 9’6″ in the broad jump. His 40-time was as fast as 4.77 seconds on many watches. Marshall tweaked his hamstring on the second 40-yard dash and did not run the shuttles or three-cone.

• Upvote 1

Arkansas Pro Day: Jonathan Marshall shines

While Feleipe Franks is the best-known Razorbacks prospect outside the scouting community, several defensive players really turned heads today. Defensive lineman Jonathan Marshall, graded as a priority free agent before the season, moved himself into Day 3 conversation with his workout today.

Marshall measured a shade over 6-foot-3 and 310 pounds. He completed 36 reps on the bench press (32 ½ inch arms), touched 32 in the vertical jump, and 9’6″ in the broad jump. His 40-time was as fast as 4.77 seconds on many watches. Marshall tweaked his hamstring on the second 40-yard dash and did not run the shuttles or three-cone.

• Upvote 1

Rankins isn’t signed for a while, the DL room is really underrated and filled with actual talent in a system that depends on pressure up front. Would have loved to find another edge guy, but it’s possible they want to give Zuniga another go around. 

I like michael carter (the rb), but I would have probably gone Elerson Smith there myself. Nitpicky though, i’m overall pretty happy with the players we got, even though I feel like positional And draft value wasn’t optimized the way would have preferred. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

On the one hand I figured they could use another edge rusher. On the other hand it's encouraging - or I'm choosing to see it as encouraging - that they didn't.

Zuniga was a strange pick for GW's defense, and the pick looked that much worse after he missed the first half of the season and then struggled to fit into a role when he returned from early IR.

On paper he'd seem to be a far better fit in this defense, but didn't know if the FO felt the same way after their look at him in 2020 (Douglas got a better look & more feedback than we did). 

Most picks after the first couple rounds, who don't start right away, turn into nothing anyhow. But we're not going to get one of them growing into a starting role in year 2 or 3 if we cut his nuts off after just a 1 year (in Zuniga's case, a half-year) tryout. 

Fingers crossed.

That and realistically, by the time the second fourth round pick they traded down with rolled around there really wasn’t a whole lot left besides quality depth/rotational pieces. They don’t lack bodies on the edge, they lack talent.

It’s early but two first round picks next year...think we’ll see an edge.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

^longs for the days when we spent day 3 picks on the likes of Jarvis Harrison and Dylan Donahue 

Sir I have some news. Dylan Donahue was probably a better athlete than either Sherwood or Nasirildeen, and at 25+ pounds heavier. 

A42A1F56-C5F5-46E9-8E48-110B3CE0D83C.jpeg

66706B11-C071-4CD9-8C89-157DE28FE318.jpeg

B7A08037-CFC1-4CC1-9D0F-03DE7DAF8FA4.jpeg

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So why was this guy available so late in the Draft?

Teams are still bad at this, especially the deeper you go. He’s also not a good football player yet, just a superior athlete at this point. He’s going to need some time learning how to use his hands better because if you saw from that video above, he’s just a first step guy now as a rusher and at Arkansas he played out of position at Arkansas as an undersized nose at times. 

That being said, a lot of the rave reviews about Saleh is his ability to teach and let guys play to their athleticism. Could be a gem in like 1-2 years or he could wash out. Either way he’s the right kind of day 3 pick. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Rankins isn’t signed for a while, the DL room is really underrated and filled with actual talent in a system that depends on pressure up front. Would have loved to find another edge guy, but it’s possible they want to give Zuniga another go around. 

I like michael carter (the rb), but I would have probably gone Elerson Smith there myself. Nitpicky though, i’m overall pretty happy with the players we got, even though I feel like positional And draft value wasn’t optimized the way would have preferred. 

Is this kid athletic enough to be moved to end? He's heavier than you'd typically want, but to be able to move like that at 300... lose 10 lbs... sheeeeeit.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They are all good at running and jumping.

Until they pull a muscle and then they are not.

In any even Tom get with the damned program already.  Every late round draft choice and especially UDFAs are diamonds in the rough at this point.  Every last one of them.  Future stars unearthed by a relentlessly hard working scouting department and selected by a shrewd and parsimonious GM.  That is true at this date on the calendar or it is true at least until some other, later date on the calendar.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Obv, especially late. It was just a strange third day. A pack of safety to LB conversion projects and a slew of dubious CBs.

I thought it was weird too, but anything after round 3 is a Powerball ticket this year

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Is this kid athletic enough to be moved to end? He's heavier than you'd typically want, but to be able to move like that at 300... lose 10 lbs... sheeeeeit.

There is actually a fairly good possibility i’d think. If you look at the 49ers preferences they usually have had the bigger defensive end (deforest buckner, arik armstead, solomon thomas) (280+lb) guys playing end for them. 

• Upvote 1

Arkansas fan here, thought I’d give my perspective.

We heard from practice reports the last several years that Marshall was one of our best looking interior DL but for whatever reason he didn’t start until the new coaching staff got here this past season so there’s not a lot of tape out there besides his Senior year. We always knew he was a physical freak and can bench press a house.

The Arkansas DL as a whole was really bad at getting pressure last year and it forced us to play a 3-2-6 most of the time so Marshall had to basically play NT and take on double teams constantly. There were several times on 3rd or 4th and short, in obvious rushing situations, where he absolutely blew up the center and the play went for a loss. I think I saw it posted on here where he had among the most pressures when it came to interior DL in the SEC even though he only had one sack.

If Arkansas’ record was a little better and if he had more help on the DL I think he could have gone more in the 3rd-4th round range but he’s just a bit of a one year wonder and still a little raw. Definitely a lot of potential to work with though.

Here’s a good summary: https://www.arkansasfight.com/2020/10/5/21502886/jonathan-marshall-is-a-wrecking-ball

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

On the one hand I figured they could use another edge rusher. On the other hand it's encouraging - or I'm choosing to see it as encouraging - that they didn't.

Zuniga was a strange pick for GW's defense, and the pick looked that much worse after he missed the first half of the season and then struggled to fit into a role when he returned from early IR.

On paper he'd seem to be a far better fit in this defense, but didn't know if the FO felt the same way after their look at him in 2020 (Douglas got a better look & more feedback than we did). 

Most picks after the first couple rounds, who don't start right away, turn into nothing anyhow. But we're not going to get one of them growing into a starting role in year 2 or 3 if we cut his nuts off after just a 1 year (in Zuniga's case, a half-year) tryout. 

Fingers crossed.

Agree 100%