Training camp 8/2 - practice updates

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Good news day out of camp. Wilson seems really solid again, maybe a tick below Saturday, Moore seems too good to be true, Morgan, Cam Clarke Yeboah all start showing up. Herndon playing well. One element of concern: Has Corey Davis or Cole caught a pass?

Offense didn’t look particularly sharp today with the exception of Moore.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think 2 and 3 are probably true. Again we’ll have to see him tested under pressure first. If he starts contorting his body while the pocket gets messy you’re going to see the same things that happened to Darnold. He could get away with it at BYU as he was barely breathed on. He doesn’t have Mahomes, Staffords or Rodgers arm. 

This system is much better suited for him though anyways. He has experience lining up under center unlike Darnold. He knows how to carry out a fake. The line has some road grading road run blockers. I expect him to have success out of play action.

I don't know if his arm isn't as strong as those guys...even if it's not it's quite strong - noticeably stronger than Sam's for instance.

He has shown clear ability to throw the ball with substantial velocity and accurately off platform.

Honestly, I don't want to be argumentative, but I think trying to judge the footwork from a QB that we know works very hard at his trade is probably an exercise in futility.  He's probably doing exactly what he wants to be doing with his feet on most plays.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Decision making is really one of those things that I dont think you can really make any claims of until you see live bullets.  So many guys were awesome at in college but terrible at in the pros and vice versa really, that I dont think you really know until you see it first hand.  That said, Sam is/was a total bonehead who did some of the dumbest sh*t you've ever seen with a Football, so I dont think it will be hard to be better from that perspective and as I said, Wilson is a more fluid athlete with a much better arm all around; strength, accuracy, faster release, etc.  

Agreed. But that issue really gets magnified when when you have a QB making those off-platform throws as a play is breaking down.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know if his arm isn't as strong as those guys...even if it's not it's quite strong - noticeably stronger than Sam's for instance.

He has shown clear ability to throw the ball with substantial velocity and accurately off platform.

Honestly, I don't want to be argumentative, but I think trying to judge the footwork from a QB that we know works very hard at his trade is probably an exercise in futility.  He's probably doing exactly what he wants to be doing with his feet on most plays.

Looking forward to seeing some live hitting. Hard to take much away from shorts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This is the 4th report saying that he was “eh” today and that it was anything but great.  He had a, mostly, bad practice.  Who knows if it was an install day, unless it’s said by the coaches.  Just like you have no idea if Trevor or Sam’s practices were install days.  I just find it funny that when Trevor, Fields, or Sam have a bad practice this place laughs their socks off while simultaneously looking to spin every negative into a positive for a bad Zach day.

I really appreciate the guys on this site who take the time to give us the reports from camp.

Its really annoying though when people are wasting space by whining over a beat writer who’s not enough of a Jets fan to suit their taste. The guy is doing a great job giving us more detailed play by play info than anyone.

BTW ?  you hit the nail on the head earlier when you said let’s worry about what our rookie QB is doing, rather than what the other ones do right now. We went down that road with the class of ‘18’s QBs. It didn’t turn out well. I really hate that one or two Optos here want to do it again this time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

BTW ?  you hit the nail on the head earlier when you said let’s worry about what our rookie QB is doing, rather than what the other ones do right now. We went down that road with the class of ‘18’s QBs. It didn’t turn out well. I really hate that one or two Optos here want to do it again this time.

Why? Do you think what we do or dont discuss on this forum has any influence on whether or not a particular QB prospect works out?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Kinda makes ya wonder on Saturday, with the fans there the first time, if the D was told to take it easy.

Couldn't have their rookie QB miss first 2 practices, have a bad day (Friday), and then have a poor showing in front of fans.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This is the 4th report saying that he was “eh” today and that it was anything but great.  He had a, mostly, bad practice.  Who knows if it was an install day, unless it’s said by the coaches.  Just like you have no idea if Trevor or Sam’s practices were install days.  I just find it funny that when Trevor, Fields, or Sam have a bad practice this place laughs their socks off while simultaneously looking to spin every negative into a positive for a bad Zach day.

He’s been up and down. But I feel like with practices, once a QB hits his last step in his drop back the play is over. At that point guys are playing back yard football. Even with pads on, once the pass rush stops their pursuit, it’s over. It’s hard to even take the good plays seriously. 

Wilson has also been taking a lot of reps. Some with the 2nd and 3rd offense. WR and RB combos have been mixed heavily. 

Anyway, Moore is a beast. All pro right now. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree, I dont know where his arm strengh matches up but I do know this, the idea that you cant complete passes off playform in the pocket under duress is kind of mind numbing.  

Along with his footwork being a problem today.

Its amazing all the things Mahomes for one can do that no other QB will ever be able to do.  Just because 

Mahomes came into the league with horrific footwork according to his coaches in KC, the worst footwork they had ever seen.  So much for that problem, just like his off platform throws I guess.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Kinda makes ya wonder on Saturday, with the fans there the first time, if the D was told to take it easy.

Couldn't have their rookie QB miss first 2 practices, have a bad day (Friday), and then have a poor showing in front of fans.

Right. Makes you wonder if Wilson was told to take it easy on the D today so they didn’t have a second poor showing in a row in front of the fans. Also makes you wonder if Wilson took it easy in his first practice, can’t just have him come in after missing two practices and light up the defense. In fact now that I think about it, makes you wonder if any of this is real at all or if we’re just living in a simulation where they project to us that the Jets have sucked for so long just to hide the fact that in reality they’ve won the last 50 Super Bowls.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He’s been up and down. But I feel like with practices, once a QB hits his last step in his drop back the play is over. At that point guys are playing back yard football. Even with pads on, once the pass rush stops their pursuit, it’s over. It’s hard to even take the good plays seriously. 

Wilson has also been taking a lot of reps. Some with the 2nd and 3rd offense. WR and RB combos have been mixed heavily. 

Anyway, Moore is a beast. All pro right now. 

I think a lot of people are taking what I said as over-reactionary criticism of Zach or disappointment in his performance.  I should clarify that this isn’t the case.  My sole issue is with the idea that we can spin what he did today into a “great” day that even remotely resembles his practice from yesterday, in order to laugh at Sam and Trevor struggling.  That’s all.  It’s a clownish look that’s likely going to look foolish at year’s end, maybe even after week 1 of the 2021 season.  That doesn’t mean I don’t like Zach.  Nor does it mean I think Sam or Trevor are destined for better careers; it’s way too early for that type of talk.  It just means that maybe I believe those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

So it’s our fault Darnold failed.  Got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

What about today?

You think, seriously that the CS had one of the units waste a practice?  LOL, come on

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What about today?

You think, seriously that the CS had one of the units waste a practice?  LOL, come on

I do.  Or not "waste" it...  just take it easy for a few plays.

The PR nightmare having 2 missed practices, a bad first day, and then bad first day in front of fans with cameras there would have been a headache.  Probably to the ticket sales dept too.

Today?  Back to practice as usual. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

No. It doesn't.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I do.  Or not "waste" it...  just take it easy for a few plays.

The PR nightmare having 2 missed practices, a bad first day, and then bad first day in front of fans with cameras there would have been a headache.  Probably to the ticket sales dept too.

Today?  Back to practice as usual. 

You have a wild imagination.

Our QB played well, the CS rigged it.

LOL, the QB had a rough day, practice as usual

Ticket sales.   A new problem we're making up now as an issue?  

I just dont understand this fanbase

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

My sole issue is with the idea that we can spin what he did today into a “great” day that even remotely resembles his practice from yesterday, in order to laugh at Sam and Trevor struggling.

One has nothing to do with the other.  

You can spin or not spin Zachs day and when all is said and done if Sam and Trevor struggled, they struggled.  

I didnt notice any spinning

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have a wild imagination.

Our QB played well, the CS rigged it.

LOL, the QB had a rough day, practice as usual

Ticket sales.   A new problem we're making up now as an issue?  

I just dont understand this fanbase

Don't stress it man.  I still think Zach has a good shot at being top notch.

But if ya think the Jets (and NFL as a whole) won't "play" fans to sell tickets (see phantom pass interference calls to keep games close)...  well...  actually I wish I thought that way too.  Much more enjoyable I'd imagine. 

10 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Funny I'm watching NFL Network, they show the Jets absolutely no love. Totally jocking Trevor Lawrence and Urban Meyer live and still haven't even mentioned three interceptions. All they talk about is Cam newton, Josh Allen, Trevor lawrence, Matthew Stafford, To a Tonga Ravioli, and Derrick Henry. Lol

But seriously when it comes to the Jets they briefly show the same generic clip of Zach Wilson just standing there? BS!

They are supposed to be at Jets camp tomorrow…

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One has nothing to do with the other.  

You can spin or not spin Zachs day and when all is said and done if Sam and Trevor struggled, they struggled.  

I didnt notice any spinning

I would say that calling this practice “a notch below Saturday” and “really solid” after every report suggested otherwise as spin.  Especially when you try and come up with excuses as to why he and the offense struggled that weren’t given to the other guys that people decided to poke fun at.

Just now, Mogglez said:

I would say that calling this practice “a notch below Saturday” and “really solid” after every report suggested otherwise as spin.  Especially when you try and come up with excuses as to why he and the offense struggled that you don’t give to the other guys.

Which still fits my comment that how each did today has nothing to do with Darnold and Lawrence turning the ball over often

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which still fits my comment that how each did today has nothing to do with Darnold and Lawrence turning the ball over often

All three have had ups and downs.  My point is let’s keep it about our team and players, especially when they are currently going through their own “downs” on the day. 

Making fun of Trevor and Sam for throwing picks in practice kinda falls flat when Zach proceeds to lob up a bad pass in the red zone for a pick, literally, minutes later.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

All three have had ups and downs.  My point is let’s keep it about our team and players, especially when they are currently going through their own “downs” on the day. 

Making fun of Trevor and Sam for throwing picks in practice kinda falls flat when Zach proceeds to lob up a bad pass in the red zone for a pick, literally, minutes later.

Except thats not how KRL reported it

And one isnt 3 or a pick six

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except thats not how KRL reported it

And one isnt 3 or a pick six

KRL said today was “tough sledding” for Zach.  Many other reporters said it wasn’t a good day.  An INT is an INT.  The most generous description of it was “bad throw that was lobbed up for grabs. Rookie mistake”.  Based on everything I read, I’m making the observation that he struggled.  It’s ok for him to struggle.  It’s early August and he’s a rookie.  Other defenses can be made for the other guys too.  Maybe Carolina was installing like we did when Zach really struggled his first time out.  Same for Jacksonville.  That being said, spinning tough days into good days, for any player, is spin.  Period.  Doing it while making fun of other guys we were once tied to reeks of clownish insecurity.