Training Camp 8/11

Lith

14 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I could be flat out wrong but this kid is going to be good. Add in a smart head coach and even for an old timer like me - the future does look a bit brighter.

7 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Great answer and mindset. Really hope he works out

I hope so brothas.  I hope so ??.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

My former HS teammate trains Fant when he’s in Jersey.  Dude is not going to give up that job so easily.

He's already lost it. 

Morgan Moses has over 100 consecutive starts and is a top 3 NFL RT and our strongest RT since Damien Woody. 

George Fant? Remember our right side of our O-Line and how atrocious it was last year? That's because Fant was starting @ RT and ranked 64th/64th and dead last amongst all OTs last year.

Morgan Moses already won the spot to starting RT the moment he signed his FA contract to become a Jets starting RT. 

George Fant is an awful starting RT but makes for a decent backup and swing tackle. 

image.thumb.png.c14f49aa9a43aef1cd5a4087de00f132.png

Morgan Moses absolutely physically dominated T.J. Watt on that day

(Fant, I'm sorry, but back to the bench you go: Just like your Seattle days).

• Thumb Down 4
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Its like you couldnt have made up a worse combination.

I am not getting over this easily. ...

Its like:

"I remember back as a freshman in the 90s the we'd drink a few bottles of vermouth, followed by a nightcap of gin chased with skim milk and spam"

"Still a bit peckish, I decided to whip up a raw ground pork and bong water shake."

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jets just miss on so many layups. I’ve gone to a few Bucs practices (yesterday and Saturday) both open to fans and full pads.

Wait, are you the guy that calls into Jets Talk Radio? The one that was running the magazine?

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jets just miss on so many layups. I’ve gone to a few Bucs practices (yesterday and Saturday) both open to fans and full pads.

And yet still the number of practices allowed in pads has nothing to do with the Jets and is by the NFL.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, J_Smith said:

Sounds like he’s just building that database of what works in the NFL and what doesn’t. Excited to see how he looks vs NYG

Exactly - and I can only think of two other QB's in our history that did something similiar - Namath and Chad. 

• Upvote 2

THREE OBSERVATIONS: BECTON, MIMS AND A POTPOURRI OF QUICK HITS

Ty-Johnson-1125x650.jpg
 August 11, 2021

Christopher Nimbley, Editor In Chief

Pardon me while I get this off my chest. Good lord, it was way too hot out today. That’s it. I’m done. Onto the Jets and we’re jumping right into today’s observations.

1) MEKHI BECTON WINNING REPS AGAINST CARL LAWSON:

One of the stories of camp has been the play of Carl Lawson. But because of how the world works, it has turned into a discussion on Mekhi Becton. Understandable to an extent, but of course the conversation has gone too far. It always does. Few padded practices, new offensive system, Lawson is just a bad matchup for Becton. Are just a few of the explanations for Becton’s “struggles” versus Lawson. Well, today Becton flipped the script and won the day. Lawson had his moments, it wasn’t a complete shutout but Becton won far more than he lost today.

Early in 11-on-11s, Becton exploded out of his set and into a heavy kick outside to set himself up for Lawson off the edge. Becton managed to shield Lawson off and push him far enough up and out that Zach Wilson could step up in the pocket and let a pass rip. On the very next play, Lawson switched it up. Lawson charged right into Becton’s chest then tried to slide inside but Becton got his paws on Lawson and moved him out of harm’s way. Those two plays set the tone for the day for the second-year tackle. Lawson was able to break through a couple of times, but this was Becton’s best day of pass protection this camp.

2) DENZEL MIMS WITH BACK-TO-BACK GOOD DAYS:

Good days. Not great, not spectacular but good. Yesterday Mims’ had his worst play of camp, but still had his best day of camp at the time. He was open on a crosser and bobbled a catchable ball which led to an interception. But the rest of the day was really solid. Today was simply solid all the way through. He’s beating his man far more often than not. Yesterday he had a 40 yard reception down the sidelines, today about a 30-35 yard reception down the sidelines. Today’s long reception came off a Mike White throw with Jason Pinnock in coverage. Mims had Pinnock beat, White put a touch too much on it but Mims extended his arms, secured the ball with his fingertips and somehow kept his stride.

He had a couple other short receptions and one play that could be called a drop only if you’re being incredibly harsh. It was during red zone 7-on-7s, Mims had his man beat as he ran to the corner pylon but the quarterback was just a touch late on the throw. I think the quarterback was White, but I forgot to clarify that in my notes. Jackson (I thought it was Lamar Jackson at first but I forgot about Bennett Jackson so it was one of them) had the coverage. Jackson was beat but being a red zone drill the window was tight and the quarterback just missed the window. Mims almost made a miraculous but couldn’t get his second foot down.

Mims spoke after practice and reminded reporters that he had a bad bout with food poisoning this offseason. He said he had some bad salmon and dropped 20 pounds. He went from 217 down to 197. Now he’s back to 208. The talk of him getting cut was always ridiculous. It sounds even more absurd now. Weight loss or not, he was taking longer to adjust to the new system. But he certainly seems to be catching up now.

3) A POTPOURRI OF QUICK OBSERVATIONS:

• I love watching Ty Johnson run the ball. All the running backs have looked good. I just love Johnson’s explosiveness and burst.
  • Bryce Hall had a great day. Corey Davis also had another great day, catching two touchdowns in red zone drills on opposite sides of the field. But Hall also cut Davis off on a in-route and swatted the ball away. Later on Hall stuck his hand in on a sure completion and ripped the ball out of the receivers hands. Even when Hall gets beat, as he did on one of the Davis touchdowns, he doesn’t get beat by much. The second-year cornerback is having a very impressive camp.
  • Brandin Echols keeps showing out. He got a pick off White thanks to Elijah Campbell knocking the ball in the air. Echols saw the ball in the air, snatched it and sped off towards the opposite end zone.
  • Everyday C.J. Mosley is doing a little bit more to remind us just how good he still is. Yesterday it was his ability to plug a hole and stuff a run. Today it was his vertical. Wilson had Elijah Moore lined up on a crosser and tried to loft it over Mosley. but Mosley was not having it. He launched himself in the air and swatted the ball to the ground.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

im not sure why this is surprising.  Fant is going to be our RT this year.  Moses was signed for depth as you can tell by his salary.  Fant is much more athletic then moses and is a much better fit in this system then moses.  Fant would have to outright tank in camp for Moses to get that job.

Moses is a top 3 NFL RT. 

Did you not see how atrocious our Right Side of our O-Line was last year? 

There's a reason why our Fan Base attacked Adam Gase for not running left behind Highway 77 Mekhi Becton. 

And that's because George Fant ranked 64th/64th and dead last amongst all starting OT's last year. 

You want Zach Wilson to get destroyed like both Sam and Flacco did? Not happening. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's already lost it. 

Morgan Moses has over 100 consecutive starts and is a top 3 NFL RT and our strongest RT since Damien Woody. 

George Fant? Remember our right side of our O-Line and how atrocious it was last year? That's because Fant was starting @ RT and ranked 64th/64th and dead last amongst all OTs last year.

Morgan Moses already won the spot to starting RT the moment he signed his FA contract to become a Jets starting RT. 

George Fant is an awful starting RT but makes for a decent backup and swing tackle. 

image.thumb.png.c14f49aa9a43aef1cd5a4087de00f132.png

Morgan Moses absolutely physically dominated T.J. Watt on that day

(Fant, I'm sorry, but back to the bench you go: Just like your Seattle days).

Top 3? Making backup money? From what I can tell he definitely is not a top 3 RT in the NFL. I wish but come on man.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Mims appears to be destroying the JN narrative on him today.  Good for him!

I've had his back since day one because I always knew what coach Saleh was doing.

He was dividing up the 1s 2s and 3s 100% equally. And he said so himself (straight from the horse's mouth). 

But that's something beat writing HACK Cimini wouldn't tell people during his "Mims is sucking" horse crap "articles" oops I mean Tweets. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Moses is a top 3 NFL RT. 

There's a reason why our Fan Base attacked Adam Gase for not running left behind Highway 77 Mekhi Becton. 

And that's because George Fant ranked 64th/64th and dead last amongst all starting OT's last year. 

You want Zach Wilson to get destroyed like both Sam and Flacco did? Not happening. 

Moses has been getting beat by JFM and Huff as badly as Becton has been getting beat by Lawson, but the first round pick and high-priced free agent is the better story. Once again, I think you’re way too generous with that “top 3” designation. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Only a matter of time before Moses is moved to RG. Get the best 5 out there. 

Why would our coaching staff force him to play out of position? 

He's played 96 consecutive starts @ RT and is an NFL top 3 RT and already the best one we've had since Damien Woody. 

He'll never in a million years play RG. Because he's a beast RT..

Maybe George Fant can get a tryout @ RG - but it won't be Morgan Moses. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I mean the team won 2 games last year and hasn’t made the playoffs in a decade. Kinda happens.

Oh, I get that. I try hard to refrain from posting too many negs about this team. Been a fan for 55 years. The number of negative comments I could make is boundless (or is it bounceless?) I just veto the mjority of them before I begin typing. Sorry Im over reacting to the whole board's overreacting. Carry on.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Moses is a top 3 NFL RT. 

This is where someone tells you you are completely wrong and names three far better RTs and you wiggle down to top-5 and claim we are being too nit-picky.

Let's just put a stop to it here.

• Ramczyk
  • Wirfs
  • Conklin
  • Braden Smith
  • Lane Johnson
  • La'el Collins

It's fair to say Moses is top-10.  Maybe he's as good as anyone not on this list and even may outperform one or two of these guys.  But he is not, at this moment' anywhere near the top-3 and at best, 'arguably' near the top-5.  Full stop.

However, he may be better for us than Fant, and that's really the only thing that matters.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Moses has been getting beat by JFM and Huff as badly as Becton has been getting beat by Lawson, but the first round pick and high-priced free agent is the better story. Once again, I think you’re way too generous with that “top 3” designation. 

He was ranked 17th in pass protection amongst all 64 starting OTs last year and also 6th in run blocking amongst all 64 OTs last year. 

He's without question a top 3 RT. 

Generous? He made T.J. Watt his little bitch last year (the very best edge pass rusher in the game today too). 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Cp561 said:

When you pick a receiver 5th overall you expect a perennial pro bowler and top 5-10 at the position, so in that way he was definitely a big disappointment, but overall still rounded out to being a solid #2 option at receiver which is much better than some other notable WR busts in recent memory

Ill ask everyone here. If Mac had selected Corey Davis with #5 pick the exact same way the Titans did... would you not be bashing it to hell?   Based on hos draft position alone, he was a bust for the Titans. Hope he plays a lot better here. It's not just that he got surpassed by a much better WR in Brown,  he failed in the clutch too often.  

Anyways.. new venue can change things. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is where someone tells you you are completely wrong and names three far better RTs and you wiggle down to top-5 and claim we are being too nit-picky.

Let's just put a stop to it here.

• Ramczyk
  • Wirfs
  • Conklin
  • Braden Smith
  • Lane Johnson
  • La'el Collins

It's fair to say Moses is top-10.  Maybe he's as good as anyone not on this list and even may outperform one or two of these guys.  But he is not, at this moment' anywhere near the top-3 and at best, 'arguably' near the top-5.  Full stop.

However, he may be better for us than Fant, and that's really the only thing that matters.

And this is where I tell you that you're completely wrong. 

No where near the top 3-5? 

Stop.

Conklin = 84.3. 

Wirfs = 81.8. 

Ramczyk = 81.5. 

Morgan Moses = 80.6. 

Braden Smith = 80.1. 

Lane Johnson = 71.9. 

And if you don't think playing alongside of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and more importantly a HOF Tom Brady made Wirfs look better than he really is? Well then I have nothing to say to you other than that Morgan Moses is better than him. 

Morgan Moses imo is a top 3 NFL RT and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

PS: George Fant = 61.6 (2020). 

And that's all I really care enough to talk about. 

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Ill ask everyone here. If Mac had selected Corey Davis with #5 pick the exact same way the Titans did... would you not be bashing it to hell?   Based on hos draft position alone, he was a bust for the Titans. Hope he plays a lot better here. It's not just that he got surpassed by a much better WR in Brown,  he failed in the clutch too often.  

Anyways.. new venue can change things. 

Vernon gholston was a bust.  Corey Davis might not of lived up to being a hall of fame potential player but hes a very good nfl receiver.

You cant be a good player and be a bust.  

Was Matt Ryan a bust because he wasnt peyton manning?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If today’s practice outcomes happened Saturday, how different would the general feeling be around here?

I think quite a bit different.

Different, yes. But in a different way. 

My username would be getting laughed at. Coach Saleh would be under fire. And our Defense would become mocked for being punked by some unproven and inexperienced Rookie QB with not even preseason experience. 

Etc. 

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Different, yes. But in a different way. 

My username would be getting laughed at. Coach Saleh would be under fire. And our Defense would become mocked for being punked by some unproven and inexperienced Rookie QB with not even preseason experience. 

Etc. 

Uh, pretty sure your user name is being laughed at. That wouldn’t be different. 

• Haha 2