Jets will win Sunday against the Panthers 31-27. And a star is born!

Alka

We have the better QB, recievers and DL.  This is a toss up game.  I'm also going out on a limb and saying our coaching staff is better.  TBD but I think we will have a good game plan and be able to adjust on the fly.  

Sam best quality is his inability to hit guys in Jets uniforms.  This may play out to be an advantage for Carolina that nobody is considering.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Oh, don't worry, just get the knife and fork ready. The Jets defense ranked 11th against the run last year, they've improved the defensive line since then, and they're going from Greg Williams to Saleh/Ulbrich. They still have a ways to go, but "worst defense on paper I've ever seen"? You're delirious.

Insulting someone for simply having a different opinion than you is childish.  Grow up. 

I disagree they upgraded the line.  How?  Rankins?  Pretty much a wash from Anderson/McLendon to him, if not a down grade.  Further, the loss of Jordan Jenkins and Terrell Basham hurt.  They were both outstanding vs. the run, it's basically all they were good at and with Lawson out, they basically were not replaced.   Hewitt was fantastic last year.  He is gone.  So is Avery Williamson.  We also dont have a single CB who has played a down in the NFL.  News flash; that impacts the running game.  Poole and Austin were very willing tacklers around the LOS.  You have no idea what that will look like this year.  You also have no idea if Ulbrich is an upgrade over Williams.  

That's the thing, I dont know how this will pan out either which is why I said "on paper" this looks like a disaster.  Hope I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's also only had three games with 3+ TDs in his 38-game career.  Meanwhile, rookie Justin Herbert had SIX of those last season.  

Pathetic.

People can bet on a "career game" for Darnold all they want.  It's a bad bet.  Even in a "revenge game", at home, against a bad/young secondary, no one should ever bet on Sam Darnold.

You're totally missing the point.  Nobody is betting on Sam Danrold, we're betting on the Jets doing Jets things.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You're totally missing the point.  Nobody is betting on Sam Danrold, we're betting on the Jets doing Jets things.  

I think we lose the game too but it will be because of Christian McCaffrey and a splash of DJ Moore, not Darnold or Robby Anderson.  Plus a rookie QB and HC going up against a pretty good defense, of course.

I'm thinking the Panthers win in ugly fashion, 16-13, or something like that.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we lose the game too but it will be because of Christian McCaffrey and a splash of DJ Moore, not Darnold or Robby Anderson.  Plus a rookie QB and HC going up against a pretty good defense, of course.

I'm thinking the Panthers win in ugly fashion, 16-13, or something like that.  

It's almost like you just started rooting for the Jets yesterday. 

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

It's almost like you just started rooting for the Jets yesterday. 

I mean, we've lost a LOT of ugly 16-13 games in this franchise's history, no?  There's been a lot of blowouts too but my prediction isn't exactly outlandish. 

I think there's enough problems with both teams' rosters to suggest this will be a rock fight kind of game in the opener.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, we've lost a LOT of ugly 16-13 games in this franchise's history, no?  There's been a lot of blowouts too but my prediction isn't exactly outlandish. 

I think there's enough problems with both teams' rosters to suggest this will be a rock fight kind of game in the opener.  

No, we've been getting the doors blown off us for years now.  lol    Double digit losses galore. 

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

My prediction is, this will be your last prediction. 

Way too much fire power for what is destined to be the leagues worst D to stop.  No pass rush, no corners vs. that offense?  Sam can throw 2 picks and they're still going to blow us out. 

Brian Burns, Hassan Reddick on the edge.  Brown in the middle.  Horn and Bouye on the outside w/ Chin and Griffin flying around.  Not going to be an easy day for a rookie QB with a rookie play caller and a rookie HC with a rookie DC.

Oh and for the 100th time, if you're a Jets fan, you know without a shadow of a doubt Sam and Robby have career days.  It was written in stone the day this game was announced.  Laugh at Sam Darnold all you want, he sucks but this is the same dude who took a terrible winless team into L.A. and won.  Same dude backed it up vs. the Browns the next week.   He's going to go off.  

Game could go either way, definitely not as one sided as you think IMO. Jets should be road under dogs and are, but don’t make it sound like the panthers are a top 10 team in the league. They’re bottom 5-10 just like the Jets, and it could be argued they regressed at the QB position.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

My prediction is, this will be your last prediction. 

Way too much fire power for what is destined to be the leagues worst D to stop.  No pass rush, no corners vs. that offense?  Sam can throw 2 picks and they're still going to blow us out. 

Brian Burns, Hassan Reddick on the edge.  Brown in the middle.  Horn and Bouye on the outside w/ Chin and Griffin flying around.  Not going to be an easy day for a rookie QB with a rookie play caller and a rookie HC with a rookie DC.

Oh and for the 100th time, if you're a Jets fan, you know without a shadow of a doubt Sam and Robby have career days.  It was written in stone the day this game was announced.  Laugh at Sam Darnold all you want, he sucks but this is the same dude who took a terrible winless team into L.A. and won.  Same dude backed it up vs. the Browns the next week.   He's going to go off.  

The cheer leaders don't like honesty on this board.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

No, we've been getting the doors blown off us for years now.  lol    Double digit losses galore. 

And I expect the Robert Saleh regime to be a little more competitive than the 2011-2020 Jets.  Even with as many young/bad players as we have and even with as paper a roster this is.  We can play a close, ugly game against the stupid Panthers. 

It's the teams expected to pick outside of the top 10 in the '22 draft that will get their blowouts in.  Rest assured those are coming this season.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Game could go either way, definitely not as one sided as you think IMO. Jets should be road under dogs and are, but don’t make it sound like the panthers are a top 10 team in the league. They’re bottom 5-10 just like the Jets, and it could be argued they regressed at the QB position.  

This is where I am at. ALL the talk here is that Rhule has a plan, is in a rebuild and t me, it's a coin toss. I like our chances with Wilson. 

52 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Insulting someone for simply having a different opinion than you is childish.  Grow up. 

I disagree they upgraded the line.  How?  Rankins?  Pretty much a wash from Anderson/McLendon to him, if not a down grade.  Further, the loss of Jordan Jenkins and Terrell Basham hurt.  They were both outstanding vs. the run, it's basically all they were good at and with Lawson out, they basically were not replaced.   Hewitt was fantastic last year.  He is gone.  So is Avery Williamson.  We also dont have a single CB who has played a down in the NFL.  News flash; that impacts the running game.  Poole and Austin were very willing tacklers around the LOS.  You have no idea what that will look like this year.  You also have no idea if Ulbrich is an upgrade over Williams.  

That's the thing, I dont know how this will pan out either which is why I said "on paper" this looks like a disaster.  Hope I'm wrong. 

OK, sorry for calling you delirious. But calling this defense "the worst ever" is still mind boggling. To say that with Q. WIlliams and Fatukasi in the middle of the line--one of the best run-stopping DT tandems in the league--is ludicrous. Then you have Maye and Mosley at the next two levels. And the guys you mentioned who left were mostly JAGs. 

11 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Who said anything about a top 10 team?  You're putting words in my mouth.  I said they have a lot of offensive fire power because they do.  They have the best all around weapon in Football in CMC, 2 lightening fast WR's coming off of 1,000 yard seasons and just added another in the draft.  They have 2 dangerous TE's that can block and catch. That's a lot to handle for a team with literally not a single corner who has played a down in the NFL.

And I like what they did on D.  Hassan Reddick has 12 sacks last year for Arizona.  AJ Bouye is one of the best in the business and I really liked their draft. Jaycee Horn (my favorite CB in the draft) 8th overall.   Daviyon Dixon (who I took in the JN draft for the Panthers).   And I think their first 4 picks from last season are going to all be solid. Brown, Gross-Matos, Chin, Pride Jr.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Orangejet88 said:

It's not that difficult to guess 5 losses for that squad.  Heck, I was 14-2 in my predictions last year.

Actually, it was a little better than that.  The Jets started the season at 0-3, and everyone expected the Jets to get killed against Dallas.  Dallas was my first prediction thread, and I picked the win and the score almost to the exact point. I predicted the next 3 losses in a row after the Dallas game, but didn't start a thread on those games because I didn't want to be negative on this site. I only wanted to predict wins when I thought they would get a win.  

The next game I predicted on the board in a new thread, and it was a win against the Giants at home after they just lost the following 3 games.  This was my 2nd prediction thread of the year, and again, I nailed the points exactly.  I then correctly predicted wins against Washington the next week, and the Raiders the week after that.  

After that week, I predicted the Jets beating the Bengals, and that game I was wrong.  I did not make any more prediction threads after that game, even though many on this board encouraged me to continue. So, I thought I would start the trend again.  If I am wrong game one, you will not get any more prediction threads from me again, at least for the rest of this season.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Who said anything about a top 10 team?  You're putting words in my mouth.  I said they have a lot of offensive fire power because they do.  They have the best all around weapon in Football in CMC, 2 lightening fast WR's coming off of 1,000 yard seasons and just added another in the draft.  They have 2 dangerous TE's that can block and catch. That's a lot to handle for a team with literally not a single corner who has played a down in the NFL.

And I like what they did on D.  Hassan Reddick has 12 sacks last year for Arizona.  AJ Bouye is one of the best in the business and I really liked their draft. Jaycee Horn (my favorite CB in the draft) 8th overall.   Daviyon Dixon (who I took in the JN draft for the Panthers).   And I think their first 4 picks from last season are going to all be solid. Brown, Gross-Matos, Chin, Pride Jr.

I didn’t say you said they are top 10, I said don’t make it sound like they are. How many W’s do you think Carolina ends up with? 4-6 like the Jets are projected or are you thinking more than that? I don’t think it’s inconceivable that the Jets win this game. It’s a toss up IMO. 

• Upvote 1

On paper these teams are sort of a toss-up in the lower half of the field for a variety of reasons.  My biggest worry is that on defense the kiddos are going to be so amped up that they will try to make heroic plays instead of sticking with their assignments. It will be up to the coaches to settle them down. Mosely, Maye and Q can also be steadying influence.

On offense, I'm hoping that Zach's poise and a strong dose of run game will keep things on an even keel. 

If this game is close at halftime, Jets will win.

35 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Theoretically at least, that's where scheme comes into play (plus at least Hall started 7 games last season and is pretty talented).  With our old M2M systems, yeah, corner couldn't be the weak spot on the team for the D to have success.  In this scheme we're dropping 7 back most snaps and forcing the QB to find the holes in the zone.  That's not a recipe for success for a slow processor like Darnold.

But you obviously nailed it with CMC.  We have no answer for him.  I doubt he ever plays anything close to a full 16 game season the rest of his career, but he's healthy this Sunday and he'll run wild.  Rhule needs to get it in his hands 30x on Sunday and minimize the decisions Darnold has to make.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Yes, they lost Jenkins and Basham, but got back Moseley.  If Moseley is back to his old form, then I would rather have Moseley then both Jenkins and Basham.  Hewitt was fantastic last year?

He was good, but fantastic is ridiculous.  Yes, he was utterly fantastic as was Bashum and Jenkins on a 2-14 team.  That is a joke.

You said Austin was a willing tackler, but truth be known, he was a below average tackler.  In fact, the PFF rankings or whatever they are called says that he was below average tackler.  By the way, Poole is gone because he wasn't very good at pass coverage, as is why Austin is gone.

Shaq Lawson's best quality I have read is not his ability to rush the QB, but it is run stopping ability.  If that is the case, we might actually have an upgrade at run stopping with his addition.

Does anyone even bother to mention that we just learned today that the Panthers starting right offensive tackle has just been put into cover protocol, and will miss the game against the Jets?  Does that even matter to anyone?  I believe that the Jets offensive line is and will be better than the Panthers offensive line, at least for this game.  Does that even matter to the people who say the Jets will get blown out on paper?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I expect the Robert Saleh regime to be a little more competitive than the 2011-2020 Jets.  Even with as many young/bad players as we have and even with as paper a roster this is.  We can play a close, ugly game against the stupid Panthers. 

It's the teams expected to pick outside of the top 10 in the '22 draft that will get their blowouts in.  Rest assured those are coming this season.  

Fair but you made it seem like we we've been witness to a bunch of low scoring competitive dog fights and that's just not the case.  Double digits losses were kind of Gase's thing.   And it's great you think/feel/hope Saleh will be better, we dont know it and I dont like this match up on paper, especially when you factor in the Jetsyness of the situation. 

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I didn’t say you said they are top 10, I said don’t make it sound like they are. How many W’s do you think Carolina ends up with? 4-6 like the Jets are projected or are you thinking more than that? I don’t think it’s inconceivable that the Jets win this game. It’s a toss up IMO. 

I really dont know what the Panthers end up being this year because my brain tells me Sam is a bust but the Jets fan in me cant help but be nervous that Sam is a different player for Rhule.  Like, I really think Adam Gase was the absolute worst hire possible for Sam.  The worst.  And I dont know to what extent he really factors into Sam's poor play.  I see Tannehill and while Sam never showed any promise like that, I'm still nervous.  Maybe I shouldnt be but this is the Jets and until proven otherwise, I'm going to be pessimistic about his team. 

That said, end of year records doesnt really matter in a head to head match up.  The NFL is all about match ups and on paper, I think the Panthers are significantly more talented than the NY Jets.  Significantly.  And its at positions that win you football games.  We're just all fixated on Darnold and assume you'll see what we've seen for 3 years but I just think, Jets.

Giving 5 points is basically, what?  saying the Jets have 25% to win, so sure, not impossible but not also very likely.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Theoretically at least, that's where scheme comes into play (plus at least Hall started 7 games last season and is pretty talented).  With our old M2M systems, yeah, corner couldn't be the weak spot on the team for the D to have success.  In this scheme we're dropping 7 back most snaps and forcing the QB to find the holes in the zone.  That's not a recipe for success for a slow processor like Darnold.

But you obviously nailed it with CMC.  We have no answer for him.  I doubt he ever plays anything close to a full 16 game season the rest of his career, but he's healthy this Sunday and he'll run wild.  Rhule needs to get it in his hands 30x on Sunday and minimize the decisions Darnold has to make.

Meh, he saw the scheme last year and that scheme had much more talent then the Jets and they had what with 4 years of experience in it?  He went 21/35 for 175 and had that ridiculous Berrios TD.  Which is a good day for Sam Darnold with a far far far inferior team.  Frank Gore carried the ball 21 times for 63 yards.  lmfao.  I know they suffered some injuries that game but he wasnt rattled or bad that day for a change.  The D was just terrible that day.  

Again, we're all fixated on Sam...it's not just about him, it's about match ups and the fact the Jets are going on the road w/ a rookie HC/OC/DC/QB.  Wilson hasnt taken a snap in the NFL, Sam Darnold took a winless Jets team on the road and beat the Rams.  He can win this game vs. this D.  Otherwise, Horn/Bouye/Pride Jr. could be an incredibly strong CB group this year and wont be easy to shake.  Adding Reddick gives them 2 edge guys and unfortunately, they're the types that give Becton problems w/ a rookie LG next to him?  I really really dont like Derrick Brown vs. Connor McGovern.   Brown is a monster and McGovern sucks.   2 solid TE options vs. a MLB we havent seen play in 2 years.  While I like our DL, I like what they did at OL.  Their WR's vs. our corners is huge advantage to them.  And then yes, CMC, especially with the new rule changes vs. inexperienced corners, we could get destroyed on the outside.

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Yes, they lost Jenkins and Basham, but got back Moseley.  If Moseley is back to his old form, then I would rather have Moseley then both Jenkins and Basham.  Hewitt was fantastic last year?

He was good, but fantastic is ridiculous.  Yes, he was utterly fantastic as was Bashum and Jenkins on a 2-14 team.  That is a joke.

You said Austin was a willing tackler, but truth be known, he was a below average tackler.  In fact, the PFF rankings or whatever they are called says that he was below average tackler.  By the way, Poole is gone because he wasn't very good at pass coverage, as is why Austin is gone.

Shaq Lawson's best quality I have read is not his ability to rush the QB, but it is run stopping ability.  If that is the case, we might actually have an upgrade at run stopping with his addition.

Does anyone even bother to mention that we just learned today that the Panthers starting right offensive tackle has just been put into cover protocol, and will miss the game against the Jets?  Does that even matter to anyone?  I believe that the Jets offensive line is and will be better than the Panthers offensive line, at least for this game.  Does that even matter to the people who say the Jets will get blown out on paper?

Right on, brother!  Hope you're right.  

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

OK, sorry for calling you delirious. But calling this defense "the worst ever" is still mind boggling. To say that with Q. WIlliams and Fatukasi in the middle of the line--one of the best run-stopping DT tandems in the league--is ludicrous. Then you have Maye and Mosley at the next two levels. And the guys you mentioned who left were mostly JAGs. 

Q. Will is a very good player.  We'll see if he gets to the next level.  Mosley was an elite player, we havent seen him in 2 years.  This defense lacks talent, I'm not crazy saying that. lol  There is a reason we're being mocked into a top 3 pick. lol  We're bad.  Very bad, the worst I've seen on this team.  I'm not saying "ALL TIME NFL", I'm saying, this team.  It's the least talented I've ever seen the Jets roll out.