Made my annual call to DirecTV for discounts to keep NFL Sunday Ticket (with some reasonable success)

jetstream23

Every year I think I'm going to find another option for out-of-town games and NFL Sunday Ticket so I can finally pivot off DirecTV but I end up staying.  It's really been my only straightforward option for Jets games as I live out of the NY market.  First a disclaimer, I hate searching for free streams or putting in the effort to backdoor some unpredictable IP service via VPN to a phone, tablet or PC and then Airplay or cast it to my television.  That works for a lot of people and I wish I was one of them, but I often run games on 3 or 4 different TVs when I host people a few Sundays each fall and I want an easy, predictable service that doesn't look like crap on super large screen.

So, without YouTube, Hulu, Sling, ESPN+, etc. having Sunday Ticket (yet!!) I worked to simply get my price down on DirecTV and it worked well this year.  I use AT&T for mobile phone service so this really helps better discounts kick in.  I already get a monthly $25 loyalty credit and free HBO/HBO Max as an AT&T customer, but Sunday Ticket is about $49 per month for 6 months and my XTRA DirecTV package of 235 channels runs $116 a month which is ridiculous.  Long story, short... I got monthly credits of $40 for 12 months on the TV package, $13 for 6 months on Sunday Ticket, and got Sunday Ticket Max added for free which gives you Redzone, Fantasy Zone, etc.  Monthly bill going forward will be about $97 including Sunday Ticket and then drops to $70 after Sunday Ticket rolls off in 6 months.  I didn't think this was too bad for 235 channels with HBO for 4 TVs.  But again, if you're an AT&T mobile customer as well it really helps.

Just thought I'd share because I know a lot of people get just as frustrated as I do with DirecTV.  I seem to have made this phone call every year for the past decade. lol

If you're going to do it you should do it quickly though because you can only threaten to cancel Sunday Ticket before the season starts I believe.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Every year I think I'm going to find another option for out-of-town games and NFL Sunday Ticket so I can finally pivot off DirecTV but I end up staying.  It's really been my only straightforward option for Jets games as I live out of the NY market.  First a disclaimer, I hate searching for free streams or putting in the effort to backdoor some unpredictable IP service via VPN to a phone, tablet or PC and then Airplay or cast it to my television.  That works for a lot of people and I wish I was one of them, but I often run games on 3 or 4 different TVs when I host people a few Sundays each fall and I want an easy, predictable service that doesn't look like crap on super large screen.

So, without YouTube, Hulu, Sling, ESPN+, etc. having Sunday Ticket (yet!!) I worked to simply get my price down on DirecTV and it worked well this year.  I use AT&T for mobile phone service so this really helps better discounts kick in.  I already get a monthly $25 loyalty credit and free HBO/HBO Max as an AT&T customer, but Sunday Ticket is about $49 per month for 6 months and my XTRA DirecTV package of 235 channels runs $116 a month which is ridiculous.  Long story, short... I got monthly credits of $40 for 12 months on the TV package, $13 for 6 months on Sunday Ticket, and got Sunday Ticket Max added for free which gives you Redzone, Fantasy Zone, etc.  Monthly bill going forward will be about $97 including Sunday Ticket and then drops to $70 after Sunday Ticket rolls off in 6 months.  I didn't think this was too bad for 235 channels with HBO for 4 TVs.  But again, if you're an AT&T mobile customer as well it really helps.

Just thought I'd share because I know a lot of people get just as frustrated as I do with DirecTV.  I seem to have made this phone call every year for the past decade. lol

If you're going to do it you should do it quickly though because you can only threaten to cancel Sunday Ticket before the season starts I believe.

I used to do that, but after 3 years it got tiresome and I let my overlords at DirecTV steal my money for NFL Ticket.  But, yeah, just call the cancellation department and be irate about being a loyal customer and DirecTV treating you like crap while they fall all over themselves giving new customers tons of freebies. It works every time.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I used to do that, but after 3 years it got tiresome and I let my overlords at DirecTV steal my money for NFL Ticket.  But, yeah, just call the cancellation department and be irate about being a loyal customer and DirecTV treating you like crap while they fall all over themselves giving new customers tons of freebies. It works every time.

Agree that it gets tiresome but it was much better than previous years.  20 minute call, saving about $650 over the next 12 months.

Just now, freestater said:

I used to do this, but then realized that I actually like hanging at seedy bars with awful people. 

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

That was my move the first two years I lived out west.  The time difference was a "challenge" though.  I ended up at a bar at 9:45AM for the 10AM kickoff....by the time I got out of there midway through the late games I'd spent $100+ on food and drinks.  That was 15+ years ago. lol 

Hi, I've played with Directv for a long time I've installed & Sighted my own dishes. I've read & learned about the satelites, their locations & how they work. I was a loyal customer of Directv for many years. Before we moved to Florida from NJ, we used to make trips to Florida after our house was built. I set up a portable dish to the correct co-ordinates & I used to hook it up so we could watch the Jet game on Sunday (before I unpacked the car).

Later, I found out that you could add on receivers to your "vacation" home. At the time it was strictly legit. My son bought our house in NJ & I kept my account in NJ & gave my son "free" DTV. Then they went to the "spotlight" signal for the local satellites. In effect it was like shining a flashlight signal on the NY, NJ. & the Metropolitan area. When they did that all my boxes lost the local channels WPIX, WOR, and all above but I still had the major locals that were on CBS, NBC, ABC, 7 FOX with the NY feed so I still had the JET games.

What I'm getting at is this... If you have a friend or family member up north with Directv & has the regional sports package, (SNY, YES, etc,) you can make a "swap".  Box for box with your trusted friend or family member & get ALL your Jet games, most of your NYY games, (some are on WPIX local to the NJ, NY, area) remember the Spotlight signal. Your cost for the swap would be about $20. for you to ship to NY, or NJ. & about $20. for your partner to ship you their box. If you live in Florida or where ever your partner will get the regional sports stations you subscribe to. Any "premium channels would work also. The receiver is stupid it doesn't know where it is. It depends on where the dish is alligned to.

There are also other ways but for that info, you will have to PM me.

Good Luck in your quest.

Good luck & let's go JETS.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That was my move the first two years I lived out west.  The time difference was a "challenge" though.  I ended up at a bar at 9:45AM for the 10AM kickoff....by the time I got out of there midway through the late games I'd spent $100+ on food and drinks.  That was 15+ years ago. lol 

Woah. I thought I had a drinking problem. 

• Haha 1

I think in this day and age of streaming, it's trash that you have to subscribe to their TV channels to get Sunday Ticket.  I dropped Direct TV a while ago and unfortunately, I go old school and listen on the radio or watch on TV when the locals play them.   

Here's to hoping there is a change in 2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

That’s me every Sunday. Many 9:30am - 9pm days spent at the bar. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

First a disclaimer, I hate searching for free streams or putting in the effort to backdoor some unpredictable IP service via VPN to a phone, tablet or PC and then Airplay or cast it to my television.  That works for a lot of people and I wish I was one of them, but I often run games on 3 or 4 different TVs when I host people a few Sundays each fall and I want an easy, predictable service that doesn't look like crap on super large screen.

This!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I think in this day and age of streaming, it's trash that you have to subscribe to their TV channels to get Sunday Ticket.  I dropped Direct TV a while ago and unfortunately, I go old school and listen on the radio or watch on TV when the locals play them.   

Here's to hoping there is a change in 2022.

At least make in non-exclusive.  That's my biggest issue.  If you want to watch a regular TV channel or even HBO or something you can get it through DirecTV, cable, Roku, etc.  You have tons of options.  But the only legal way to get Sunday Ticket is thru DirecTV.  The NFL should put it out for a non-exclusive bid.  Even if they wanted to limit it to say 3 winners (at least one terrestrial TV provider, one streaming service, etc.) I'd be okay with that.  In fact, I'm not sure why the NFL itself doesn't offer Sunday Ticket through it's GamePlan service.  They could do that and make it the only way to see EVERY single out of market game.  It's their product.  Let the networks broadcast their in-market, local games and allow ESPN, etc. to do national games on Monday Night Football or whatever.  It's a bad monopoly that DirecTV has.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It really does work when you do this.  We do it every so often for cell service too. just call and make a bit of a stink and they cut the bill.  Squeaky wheel etc.

Years ago I decided not to pay for Sunday ticket anymore. Buy week 3-4 I realized I had spent more than I would have at the bar/restaurant (and I don't drink) by that time than the service was for the whole season and I was done right there hahaha

Especially when the bar tender, a Dolphins fan had the fins game on 5 TVS and the Jets game on a 16" POS across the room.  I took great delight telling the owner why I would not be back.  He didn't care either. F*ckin Miami fans.  ??‍♂️ ?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

At least make in non-exclusive.  That's my biggest issue.  If you want to watch a regular TV channel or even HBO or something you can get it through DirecTV, cable, Roku, etc.  You have tons of options.  But the only legal way to get Sunday Ticket is thru DirecTV.  The NFL should put it out for a non-exclusive bid.   It's a bad monopoly that DirecTV has.

My understanding is the DirecTV contract for exclusive Sunday Ticket rights expires this year, and it's 'up for bids' etc for 2022.

Had to re-up for Sunday Ticket with DirecTV today....but told them if I had another option to get Sunday Ticket,  I'd drop DirecTV in a heartbeat.  I can get NHL CenterIce and MLB packages on other venues.

Next year will be interesting.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It’s interesting that I invited you to my house to watch games when you were here in San Diego yet this is the first time I’m hearing about your 3-4 tv hosting parties. 

• Haha 2

Last time I called them, I wanted to “cancel cuz price was too high” and they knocked off $60 a month flat for 12 months. Bill used to be $133 and then dropped to about $65 (half) a month without NFL ticket or mobility. I will try again this year and see what they can do to “retain” me. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Does that include high speed internet? 

I did business with Directv for years and to be honest I just got tired of having to deal with those crooks. So in 2019 I disconnected Directv got a Roku box and started going to bars to catch the Jets games. With that said.....

I just got the NFL Sunday ticket on my roku box! I had tried downloading NFL Sunday ticket in the past but that website said my address was not eligible or something like that? Well, this morning I saw another ad of Facebook to get just the ticket. No contract required. It showed an 855 number to call. So I called and this woman said they needed to send me an override message? So I got the email and the website telling me my address wasn't eligible was overridden. So I officially now get a free week of NFL Sunday ticket on my Roku box. I'll get to see Jets/Panthers this weekend. Tonight's game is blacked out because it's being broadcast nationally. After a week, if I still want it, I have to pay 4 installments of $75. That's just about what I was paying back when I had Directv. So I'm fine with it. Sure, it's expensive but it's a lot less expensive than having to go to bars every Sunday.

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

It’s interesting that I invited you to my house to watch games when you were here in San Diego yet this is the first time I’m hearing about your 3-4 tv hosting parties. 

Ya know... If I had a 5th TV you would have definitely been invited!

Looking forward to getting to a game with you again.... I think we are 1-1 when attending Jets games together which is a better winning % than every single Jets head coach in history besides Al Groh and Bill Parcells. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I did business with Directv for years and to be honest I just got tired of having to deal with those crooks. So in 2019 I disconnected Directv got a Roku box and started going to bars to catch the Jets games. With that said.....

I just got the NFL Sunday ticket on my roku box! I had tried downloading NFL Sunday ticket in the past but that website said my address was not eligible or something like that? Well, this morning I saw another ad of Facebook to get just the ticket. No contract required. It showed an 855 number to call. So I called and this woman said they needed to send me an override message? So I got the email and the website telling me my address wasn't eligible was overridden. So I officially now get a free week of NFL Sunday ticket on my Roku box. I'll get to see Jets/Panthers this weekend. Tonight's game is blacked out because it's being broadcast nationally. After a week, if I still want it, I have to pay 4 installments of $75. That's just about what I was paying back when I had Directv. So I'm fine with it. Sure, it's expensive but it's a lot less expensive than having to go to bars every Sunday.

You're my new hero.  Nice work.

• Upvote 1