RIP Savage69

BP

18 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

As a new member of the JetsNation forums and an aspiring journalist, I am wondering whether there's any way I (or others) can assist in preserving the memories of the Jets faithful like Savage 69, may he rest in peace.  It seems to me that when you think about our collective memory as fans, we are increasingly approaching a time when those who were old enough to remember the Jets golden years are in their golden years.  If we don't do something to preserve their accounts we may irrevocably lose part of the community.  

I may not be the person to lead this, but we really should do a historical preservation mission of interviewing some of our oldest fans so that those memories are not lost forever.  NFL archival footage only records what happened on the field, not the tailgate.  

That's actually rather interesting.

I'd offer that the best way to preserve things like this would be documentary filmmaking, interviews.

The same way memories of historic events, like Wars and genocide, generally get recorded for posterity/collective memory.

It's would be a huge undertaking.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:31 AM, southparkcpa said:

That's great!!!!  People outside NY/NJ can't understand that stuff. Late 70's, I was a kid, teenager, on LI working in an Italian pork store.  The apron company started to do a "poor job" and my boss fired them. After about a month of a new company, the rep for the new company came in, almost trembling.  He stated that he was "told" in no uncertain terms that he could NOT service the account and to tell you "my boss" that no one could except the original guy.

I used to pick up the dancers at the Salem in a taxi. You should have heard my rap; a 20 year old dweeb driving 2 dancers into their hotel. "You...uh...smell nice..." 

"Excuse me, I was talking to you...hello?"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

RIP Savage.
The guy knew how to disagree without becoming disagreeable. It's becoming a lost art. 
The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread. We went back and forth on Martin a few times, never was anything other than a classic sports argument.

I always respected Savage and he I, even though we were diametrically opposed in our opinions of Curtis. This is very sad news, and a loss for the Jet fan community. RIP my friend.
"The ultimate stat compiler"
- Savage69

• Upvote 4

On 9/20/2021 at 11:34 AM, BP said:

He passed away on august 6th. Gonna miss my old road trip buddy 

Edit: below is a text from his niece

“Hi Jim.  I meant to text Wednesday but it’s been a hectic couple of days.  I want to thank you for letting everyone on the Jets board know about Uncle John.  I spent a lot of time throughout the day on Tuesday and Wednesday reading and rereading all of the heartfelt comments.  I was really touched and I’m glad to know Uncle John had so many friends that shared his greatest love with him.  Thank you again for finding us and posting on the board.  I’d like to thank everyone on the board for their condolences if it’s possible for you to get the word out to them.  Thank you again Jim.  I hope the shoulder is healing well”

OH NOOO!!!  Savage was one of the first ever guys I got close to from the message boards.  We even met a couple of times at the tailgaters we had for the old GreenHouse Board.  This is very sad to me and I am sincerely hurt by seeing this one on the board. 

Savage was one of the originals and truly one of the coolest dudes ever. He was a cool gray beard way before I knew it would be me. 

RIP My friend!   This is a sad day for me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

OH NOOO!!!  Savage was one of the first ever guys I got close to from the message boards.  We even met a couple of times at the tailgaters we had for the old GreenHouse Board.  This is very sad to me and I am sincerely hurt by seeing this one on the board. 

Savage was one of the originals and truly one of the coolest dudes ever. He was a cool gray beard way before I knew it would be me. 

RIP My friend!   This is a sad day for me. 

Savage is third from the left with the "69" jersey.  Man was that a fun day before the game.   I'm gonna miss his quips and jibes. 

Greenhouse Tailgater.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing! I think that’s [mention=5515]NIGHT STALKER[/mention] standing on the far right in the green Namath jersey

It is. We had a top tier crew for tailgaters. That’s also seniorjet on the left as well. He passed some time ago but was also an original msg boarder. JumboJet (jambalayaJet) is there too.
Great times [mention=6730]BP[/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Yep...and that's Green Bean kneeling in front with the thumbs up wearing his Byrd jersey (90).  That's my son kneeling front of me...that 17 year kid is now 37 and keeps reminding me that I made him a Jets fan...lol.

Haha. He was so level headed at the time. Has he gotten worn down and a bit more crotchety about theJets yet Herm?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It is. We had a top tier crew for tailgaters. That’s also seniorjet on the left as well. He passed some time ago but was also an original msg boarder. JumboJet (jambalayaJet) is there too.

Haha I See T-Mac now (jumbalayajet) his face is right next to the sign with the mug of beer. And baby Joiesey jet is in there too. Lol senior picked a fight with Max in the parking lot in front of his kids like 15 years ago

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Bean, SeniorJet is still with us...

• Upvote 2

Haha I See T-Mac now (jumbalayajet) his face is right next to the sign with the mug of beer. And baby Joirsey jet is in there too. Lol senior picked a fight with Max in the parking lot in front of his kids like 15 years ago
Haven't heard the name JoiseyJet in a loooong time. Seems like he would have to be lurking, or around on some message board somewhere - seems like he felt his contributions were just too important not to share.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, isired said:

Haven't heard the name JoiseyJet in a loooong time. Seems like he would have to be lurking, or around on some message board somewhere - seems like he felt his contributions were just too important not to share. emoji14.png

Back in 2010 we had a spammer here late at night post a Pepsi sign with a seizure reference, I banned the guy. Joisey  (who is epileptic)freaks out thinking the site somehow looks down on people with seizures. He vowed never to return, and he didn’t. I wound up deleting the whole thread.

He’s a strange bird. And I know him in real life. Annoyed the sh*t out of me several times down in ft lauderdale. And I think @4HCrew smashed one of those big metal canister ash trays over his head in NOLA like 15 years ago.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 8:32 PM, BP said:

Haha I See T-Mac now (jumbalayajet) his face is right next to the sign with the mug of beer. And baby Joiesey jet is in there too. Lol senior picked a fight with Max in the parking lot in front of his kids like 15 years ago

hahaha. Right.   i remember when T-mac was Jumbo Jet before that too.  He actually showed up at one of my comedy shows at the comedy Cellar years back.  SeriFeisty devil.  he was always into something or other with someone or other in the old forums back in the day.  I was delighted to hear he was still with us.  i'm not sure who told me otherwise but that's very good news.  Fights and all. ?

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:46 PM, GREENBEAN said:

hahaha. Right.   i remember when T-mac was Jumbo Jet before that too.  He actually showed up at one of my comedy shows at the comedy Cellar years back.  SeriFeisty devil.  he was always into something or other with someone or other in the old forums back in the day.  I was delighted to hear he was still with us.  i'm not sure who told me otherwise but that's very good news.  Fights and all. ?

I’ve been to NOLA, San Diego and a lot of other places with @T-Mac <~~~ that’s him btw . He knows every little great bar hole in the wall in the entire country. We watched the bengals game in JC last week.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, BP said:

I’ve been to NOLA, San Diego and a lot of other places with @T-Mac <~~~ that’s him btw . He knows every little great bar hole in the wall in the entire country. We watched the bengals game in JC last week.

Thats awesome man.  I haven't seen or talked to him in many years.  Please tell him I said hello if you could.  I always liked him. 

• Upvote 1