An Absolute Cluster"bleep"

KRL

Jets shockingly are only 3rd worst in yards per game on offense.  Points per game of 6.7 is of course dead dead dead dead last.

Also shockingly we are still top 10 in the league for least yards given up on defense.

Now since one of the few ways as a Jet fan I get pleasure is through schadenfreude, the Seahawks being dead last in the league in yards given up per game at a whopping 440 brings a small smile to my face.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I felt that the delay of game was on the new holder. 

My concern is the Gaseness of this offense. They did nothing to help Wilson out. Between the drops and the lack of open receivers it was scary.  Wilson's pocket presence is terrible right now. It is going to take time for him to improve in that area but his awareness just isn't good. A lot of that stems from week one where he got hammered non stop.  But can't the OC help the kid out with some short passes, roll him out, build some momentum.

And 3rd and short with a rookie QB you go with empty back field multiple times? This is a kid playing in his 3rd game. Keep it simple, even if you are going to pass, let's keep the defense honest. Terrible decisions by the OC.

I think this is another area (unfortunately there are many) where LaFleur hasn’t helped Zach.  Where are the stretch runs to the outside that set up those play action bootlegs?  Those are staples in the “system”, and plays to Zach’s strengths.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

My concern is the Gaseness of this offense. They did nothing to help Wilson out. Between the drops and the lack of open receivers it was scary.  Wilson's pocket presence is terrible right now. It is going to take time for him to improve in that area but his awareness just isn't good. A lot of that stems from week one where he got hammered non stop.  But can't the OC help the kid out with some short passes, roll him out, build some momentum.

And 3rd and short with a rookie QB you go with empty back field multiple times? This is a kid playing in his 3rd game. Keep it simple, even if you are going to pass, let's keep the defense honest. Terrible decisions by the OC.

Yes, if you didnt know, you would have no idea if this was still Gases offense or not. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

No pre snap motion to help the QB.  No misdirection to create lanes.  No roll outs to slow down the pass rush.  No draws. No screens. No "safe" throws to the RBs to find rhythm.  I'm with Mims.  I wouldn't waste my time learning this sh!t offense either... 

You didn't see any of that?  Ty Johnson had 5 targets, Carter had 3.   Do you think they were running 9 routes all day?  

• Upvote 1

The talent is bottom 3 in the league. The culture change to date has been mostly bluster. A catch phrase can work if there’s action behind it. I beat this horse dead but the preseason intensity in practices was crazy low for such a young team. Everyone laughed at the talking head who couldn’t believe there hadn’t been any fights in practice, but they barely hit. 3 games in and it’s glaring that the talent is bad and they weren’t prepared to start the season. 

• Upvote 2

This offense feels more Shotty than Gase. Over complicate everything but still make stupid plays. The calling is terrible and I agree it doesn't help out Zack. There are too many rookies and 2nd year players for this team to be good, however. Couple that with the fact that the playbook is complicated and new.

While the delay of game is on the holder, Saleh should have called the time out from the sideline - unless it is a teaching moment. But, let's be fair, it wasn't going to change the outcome of the game. Maybe he is trying to get the team to take responsibility for themselves when it doesn't really count. I don't know, but that was truly heartbreaking.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

This offense feels more Shotty than Gase. Over complicate everything but still make stupid plays. The calling is terrible and I agree it doesn't help out Zack. There are too many rookies and 2nd year players for this team to be good, however. Couple that with the fact that the playbook is complicated and new.

While the delay of game is on the holder, Saleh should have called the time out from the sideline - unless it is a teaching moment. But, let's be fair, it wasn't going to change the outcome of the game. Maybe he is trying to get the team to take responsibility for themselves when it doesn't really count. I don't know, but that was truly heartbreaking.

To be honest the bigger issue I had was moving to a punt after the delay of game. It was in Denver and he just was 2/3 up the uprights from 56 why not let him kick from 61? That would definitely be the all gas no break option.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

In 45+ years of disappointment in this team, I cannot recall I time that I've been more disappointed than right now.  This team is an unmitigated disaster.  There is no shining light ANYWHERE or a glimmer of hope. The roster, after THREE F'N years of JD's rebuild, is no better off than it was 3 years ago and the team is committing the same exact blunders that got Darnold killed and run out of town - NO ******* TALENT SURROUNDING THE QB.  The WR's are invisible, the running game is garbage, and the gamreplanning has been atrocious. Wilson has ZERO chance to succeed on this 2021 team.  It's amazing that no matter who the GM or HC is, this team just cannot get out of it's own way.  Poor drafting, signing the wrong FA's and not creating a system to put whoever is on the roster in the best position to succeed .  EVRY ******* YEAR ITS THE SAME!!!!  ENOUGH OF THIS GARBAGE ALREADY!!!!!!!  

I think the reason this time feels the worst is because the process was actually correct. Jets fans have been clamoring for years for the Johnsons get out of the way and hire a respected football mind to run the team with no meddling. So we bring in Joe Douglas to unanimous praise around the league and let him run the show. And somehow, the result is even worse. It defies belief. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

To be honest the bigger issue I had was moving to a punt after the delay of game. It was in Denver and he just was 2/3 up the uprights from 56 why not let him kick from 61? That would definitely be the all gas no break option.

Punting was the right call, jets pinned them deep and then forced a 3 and out. When was the last time you saw the jets make a 60 yard field goal? 

17 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

No pre snap motion to help the QB.  No misdirection to create lanes.  No roll outs to slow down the pass rush.  No draws. No screens. No "safe" throws to the RBs to find rhythm.  I'm with Mims.  I wouldn't waste my time learning this sh!t offense either... 

This is my opinion 100%!

Indeed, instead of doing my work (smiles) I started to look at the game this morning and just shut it off because I was getting irritated by the obvious stuff that the Jets offense was NOT doing!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think this coaching staff is so intent on implementing systems and culture that there’s no deviation to fix things in games.  I agree, having wilson roll out would help.  Quick passes to rbs and TEs.  But not really.  Instead, they want wilson to sit in the pocket and go thru progressions as if it’s a theoretical exercise, which it is, in practice.  

Also i think saleh is too fixated by what happens in practice.  Does he really think that fans or the media care if cole or Jeff smith had a good week of practice when they get shut out?  There’s a disconnect between practices and games and it’s best observed in how they’re dealing with the wr situation.  They’re benching mims while the other wrs do nothing, and Wilson could really use a big target who may not run the crispest of routes but can provide a nice target when plays break down, which is most of the time.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I think the reason this time feels the worst is because the process was actually correct. Jets fans have been clamoring for years for the Johnsons get out of the way and hire a respected football mind to run the team with no meddling. So we bring in Joe Douglas to unanimous praise around the league and let him run the show. And somehow, the result is even worse. It defies belief. 

Completely agree.  The blueprint of a proper rebuild was finally executed correctly and right people were seemingly put in place to see it through, but inexplicably, the end result is the same hot pile of steaming garbage that we've been staring at for decades.  I am so disgusted and disheartened that I feel like I don't want to invest the energy to care anymore. 

I was visiting my son at Penn State this weekend and even though the game was a layup, I had an amazing time watching PSU demolish Villanova, and I was wondering to myself as I'm looking around the stadium filled with 105,000 screaming, happy, and invested fans, when was the last time I felt as good about the Jets as I did about PSU at that moment????  When the **** is the payoff with the Jets after investing so much time and energy on them????  Don't we the fans, especially the long suffering ones, deserve a goddamn payoff just once in a while?????  At what point to we just finally give up and walk away from this never ending mess??  Honestly, I'm just about there. I've given the Jets way more than they've given me.  How much longer should we all continue to be disappointed?

• Upvote 1

Any complaint about on the field performance  falls directly on the lap of our HC. He ran a soft camp. His players coach philosophy has to change. If play calling is an issue,(and I'm not convinced it is), he has to assert himself and have a sit down with his offensive staff, and find a new way.

15 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The thing is, he did give him easy passes.  I watched all the pass plays. 11 targets to the TE's and RB's.  He averaged 4.6 ypc.  They're giving him easy plays and I think that was a bit of the problem and what led to the INT.  I agree, he could be doing more but Zach is such a mess it's got to be very hard to call plays with how he's playing.  Numerous times he missed the easy play, a wide open WR, held the ball too long and/or his mechanics are so jacked he missed wide open throws. 

For example, first drive, 3 and 6, Zach has a clean pocket and a wide open easy out route to the opposite side hash.  His footwork and mechanics are so jacked, it looks like he's setting up to throw a seam and the ball is 5 yards short of the WR.  That is super duper easy pitch and catch. 

2nd drive, 3rd and 6.  Bunch set.  They ran 3, 3 yard drags across the middle of the field. Corey Davis, wide open in the middle, Zach doesnt pull the trigger in a beautiful pocket and instead, pulls the ball down and it's a sack.

I think the next like 8 passes were easy first reads 3 yard routes, he completed them all (one drop).  They called a screen on 2nd and 8...they lost 8 yards.  3rd and 16, Zach rolls out, and throws to a contested Davis, who maybe should have caught it.

They did try to make it easier on him, they're just terrible. 

I came away feeling the same. Week 1 first half was excusable. First time the guy had ever been an NFL stadium. Fine. Week 1 second half he looked great but was playing against soft defenses. Since then, he's regressed big time, and as much as we want to blame LaFluer, there isn't much else he can do. The OL isn't good enough to call stretch runs or deep passes, and Zach's missing bunnies when LaFluer calls them/the defense knows what's going to be called because Zach hasn't proven to be better. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You didn't see any of that?  Ty Johnson had 5 targets, Carter had 3.   Do you think they were running 9 routes all day?  

What I saw were patterns by the RBs out in the flat.   What I didn't see was simple swing passes to get the back in space to hopefully gain positive yards

45 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I agree, he could be doing more but Zach is such a mess it's got to be very hard to call plays with how he's playing.  Numerous times he missed the easy play, a wide open WR, held the ball too long and/or his mechanics are so jacked he missed wide open throws. 

I think he's rattled and it's in his head. Week 1 he was under siege in the first half and then played pretty well against softer coverage in the 2nd. But Week 2 against the Pats he had time and tried to press and make plays and the results were disastrous. He wasn't seeing the field and made some really poor throws.

This week he seemed very timid and unwilling to take chances was really trying to just get the ball out and avoid making mistakes and it affected the whole offense. But his mechanics are wonkly and unsettled and his arm seems off. He was playing scared. Also, not to make excuses for him but I wonder if he's injured -- he just doesn't seem accurate the way he has been in the past, missing and throwing stuff in the dirt. Could also be the yips or some kind of mental block but he just isn't making throws.

Also -- can Corey Davis make some plays? Our WRs need to step up and help the kid out. It's only been three games but man, for a big physical receiver Davis is awful and making contested catches.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think he's rattled and it's in his head. Week 1 he was under siege in the first half and then played pretty well against softer coverage in the 2nd. But Week 2 against the Pats he had time and tried to press and make plays and the results were disastrous. He wasn't seeing the field and made some really poor throws.

This week he seemed very timid and unwilling to take chances was really trying to just get the ball out and avoid making mistakes and it affected the whole offense. But his mechanics are wonkly and unsettled and his arm seems off. He was playing scared. Also, not to make excuses for him but I wonder if he's injured -- he just doesn't seem accurate the way he has been in the past, missing and throwing stuff in the dirt. Could also be the yips or some kind of mental block but he just isn't making throws.

Also -- can Corey Davis make some plays? Our WRs need to step up and help the kid out. It's only been three games but man, for a big physical receiver Davis is awful and making contested catches.

You get hit enough, you get skittish.  Yet, wilson made 2 throws under pressure that would have both put the jets in the red zone.  First one to davis, terrible drop.  Second one to carter, he may have scored.  Bad teams don’t get that many chances, especially with this OL. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's not accurate because his footwork is off...His footwork is off because he's already rattled from week 1.

Week 1 he was plenty accurate and plenty confident.  The beating he took that game got to him.  

Organization is a joke for putting him in that situation but the fact that one game did that to him is very concerning...

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I came away feeling the same. Week 1 first half was excusable. First time the guy had ever been an NFL stadium. Fine. Week 1 second half he looked great but was playing against soft defenses. Since then, he's regressed big time, and as much as we want to blame LaFluer, there isn't much else he can do. The OL isn't good enough to call stretch runs or deep passes, and Zach's missing bunnies when LaFluer calls them/the defense knows what's going to be called because Zach hasn't proven to be better. 

I question a lot of the design and calls.  There are times watching, you genuinely dont know what the call is trying to beat.  That said, there were plays to be had on the field yesterday.  Easy throws, easy reads, they were missed by either not seeing or inaccurate passing and some drops.   If he averaged 4.6 ypc, they were giving him short, easy reads.  Everyone sucks.  That's all.