Jump to content

Jets top Priorities Over bye Week Should Include at Least two Significant Roster Moves


Recommended Posts

Goedert.jpg

The Jets have a couple of weeks to work on turning things around, particularly on offense, over the bye.  Then of course the week before they meet the Patriots.

As currently constructed, the biggest problem that has to be addressed on the roster is right guard.  Greg Van Roten has been a consistent liability and every possible option should be explored.  Even if it means shuffling the O-line a bit when Mekhi Becton returns from injury.  Current left tackle George Fant has played well on the left side and Becton played on the right side for a time in college.  While this would be the least desirable option, it shouldn’t be ruled out.  Replacing Van Roten has to be the priority.

The Jets worked out former starting guard Brandon Fusco.  The biggest issue with Fusco is when he might be ready to put the pads on. Fusco has not played a snap since 2018.  Even with that being the case, NFL insider Ian Rapoport claims he impressed in his workout with the Jets.  Whether that’s the reality of the situation of Rapoport doing Fusco’s agent a favor remains to be seen.

A few interesting tryouts today:
— The #Jets worked out former starting guard Brandon Fusco, who hasn’t played since 2018. Sounded like he looked pretty good.
— The #Giants worked out OL Forrest Lamp, who started last year for the #Chargers.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 12, 2021

Given how bad things are, the Jets should consider calling to find out the status of free agent David DeCastro.  Some reports claimed DeCastro wouldn’t be ready to play football until next season but there’s no harm in checking in.

Former Dolphin, Raven and Seahawks lineman DJ Fluker is also worth looking at.  Suspended for the season’s first six weeks, Fluker will be back early next month.  With experience at right guard, right tackle and a handful of snaps at left tackle, Fluker shouldn’t be ruled out.

Internally, could the Jets consider Isaiah Williams?  The college tackle has been projected to guard as a pro and elevated to the active roster twice this season. He was then added to the 53-man roster.  The Jets clearly see something in Williams that they like, but do they like him that much?  Dan Feeney is another consideration but non a good one. During the pre-season he looked no better than Van Roten.  This would have been a time to consider Cam Clark but he is currently on IR due to a spinal injury.

Another spot where the Jets should be looking is tight end which is why Joe Douglas should be dropping a line to his former employers, the Philadelphia Eagles.  Douglas and the Jets have a plethora of draft picks to work with as well as starting safety Marcus Maye, who the team should be looking to deal.

The Eagles are reportedly looking to part ways with either Zach Ertz or Dallas Goedert before the trade deadline in just a couple of weeks.  With no viable pass catcher at the position, Goedert should be a target.  Free agent tight end Tyler Eifert is on the open market but his injury history makes him a questionable option at best.

The Jets need all hands on deck to get Zach Wilson and the offense going.  When they next take the field, or not long after, a couple of new pairs might not be a bad idea.

The post Jets top Priorities Over bye Week Should Include at Least two Significant Roster Moves appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/XNpQN0uWx2o

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Pay Josh McCown to be backup QB. I heard that a while back the Bills offered Matt Moore $10M to be available on game days and in limited classroom sessions to lure him away from his high school coaching career. He ultimately declined, but it shows there are ways to compromise player requirements. Josh wouldn’t necessarily have to move his family back to NJ to join us, just be available on the sideline and Zoom in on game tape with Zach during the week. 

2. Hire John Beck as QB coach. He knows the division, and is cozy with Zach and the LaFluers. 

3. Sign a TE that can catch a pass that is slightly behind him, or too low. Dallas Goedert made circus catches routine in college. He’d be an ideal, upside player. 

4. Can Fant play RG? I think one of him, Moses or Becton should be tried out for the spot. It would be great to get all 3 of them on the line at the same time. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greenseed4 said:

1. Pay Josh McCown to be backup QB. I heard that a while back the Bills offered Matt Moore $10M to be available on game days and in limited classroom sessions to lure him away from his high school coaching career. He ultimately declined, but it shows there are ways to compromise player requirements. Josh wouldn’t have to move his family to join us, and I’m sure he could Zoom in on game tape. 

2. Hire John Beck as QB coach. He knows the division, and is cozy with Zach and the LaFluers. 

3. Sign a TE that can catch a pass that is slightly behind him, or too low. Dallas Goedert made circus catches routine in college. He’d be an ideal, upside player. 

4. Can Fant play RG? I think one of him, Moses or Becton should be tried out for the spot. It would be great to get all 3 of them on the line at the same time. 

Can you take over for JD.  Please.  

But if you believe JD has the intellect and desire to pull this stuff off, you're dreaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You aren’t making any moves in late October that will alter or change the trajectory of this team.  Anyone on the street right now is there for good reason and should stay there.   

100%....use the bye to fix what's broke with what you have, nobody is coming in and making a difference. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Can you take over for JD.  Please.  

But if you believe JD has the intellect and desire to pull this stuff off, you're dreaming.

My specialty skills include creating partially informed agendas, and banging tables without consequences. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You aren’t making any moves in late October that will alter or change the trajectory of this team.  Anyone on the street right now is there for good reason and should stay there.   

Agreed.  For some reason people thought that this team was going to make the playoffs.  It isn’t - never was, never will this year.

all that being said, goedert would be a great piece to help our offense and qb grow.  While not on Kittles level, you see what the 9ers type of offense did with an actual player at TE. If he comes in an works out, he’s an easy resign in the off-season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

how bout getting him a running back that can catch the ball out of the backfield. 

They have that already , problem is the QB either hits the dirt or the OL wen trying to pass to one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the sentiment that anyone who's available now is probably trash, but the NFL has changed massively in terms of the trade deadline in recent years. The NFL wants a trade deadline rush and have been changing the rules to facilitate that, so teams have more of an incentive to move more established players. The Jets are the perfect example by flipping Avery Williamson/Steve McClendon last year when they were out of the playoff race by October. Not world beaters by any means, but useful starters. We need useful starters. 

The Jets have a sh*t ton of draft picks and a ton of cap space next year. This is exactly the type of year when we should be shopping at the trade deadline to set up next year's push. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

You aren’t making any moves in late October that will alter or change the trajectory of this team.  Anyone on the street right now is there for good reason and should stay there.   

Generally true, but I think the Eagles tight end situation could be the one exception. They don't need both Goedert and Ertz. If one can be had for cheap, it's a no brainer. Wilson deserves a tight end that is borderline competent to help his development. Even if it is just for 1  year on a team not playing for a playoff spot. 

If he makes a bad pass to Brown or Griffin or Wesco  they don't have the ability to adjust and make a play. And when they do catch the ball, there is is zero chance for YAC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

The Jets have a sh*t ton of draft picks and a ton of cap space next year. This is exactly the type of year when we should be shopping at the trade deadline to set up next year's push. 

Shopping for what exactly?   Most of the trade deadline stuff are guys who will be free agents the following year.  I don’t think there will be anyone available that’s going to be worth trading draft capital away for and then have to sign that player as a FA.  Jets could be sellers for sure, but buyers?  Highly doubt that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Generally true, but I think the Eagles tight end situation could be the one exception. They don't need both Goedert and Ertz. If one can be had for cheap, it's a no brainer. Wilson deserves a tight end that is borderline competent to help his development. Even if it is just for 1  year on a team not playing for a playoff spot. 

If he makes a bad pass to Brown or Griffin or Wesco  they don't have the ability to adjust and make a play. And when they do catch the ball, there is is zero chance for YAC. 

At this point, I’d rather just give Yeboah some reps.   I guess if you could get Goedert for a 6th, then maybe.  But why would Philly do that when they are trying to develop their own young QB?  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t see Joe Douglas trading away draft picks unless they’re late and/or conditional. Goedert would be a nice trade target, but he seems to be a pretty big part of their offense. Are the Eagles really interested in trading him? I see that he’s on the last year of his contract, so maybe they just don’t see themselves resigning him. 
 
I continue to think the OL is a bigger concern for the fans than the staff. They understand that the system they’re implementing takes time, and that the line has gotten better - particularly in pass protection. And also, is there a starting quality guard on the market? One who fits the Jets new zone scheme? Seems pretty doubtful. 
 
The #1 thing they need to do over this break is figuring out what’s broken with the offense. The Jets need an opening drive TD when they come back. LaFluer needs to Constanza this thing if necessary, because what he’s been doing has not been working. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At this point, I’d rather just give Yeboah some reps.   I guess if you could get Goedert for a 6th, then maybe.  But why would Philly do that when they are trying to develop their own young QB?  

They have Ertz and Goedert. They don't need both on a team going nowhere. 

And while I would love Yeboah to get reps, he could just be bad or a year away. I am more concerned about Wilson getting reps with a competent TE and if Yeboah is good enough he will eventually get his share of reps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are interior lineman typically shorter than tackles? I don't know, but putting 6'-7" Becton right in front of 5'-13" Zach Wilson seems like it could backfire. If Zack can hit Moses in the head on screens, he could hit Becton in the head on slants. Anyone know if guards and centers are shorter so QBs can see over them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Shopping for what exactly?   Most of the trade deadline stuff are guys who will be free agents the following year.  I don’t think there will be anyone available that’s going to be worth trading draft capital away for and then have to sign that player as a FA.  Jets could be sellers for sure, but buyers?  Highly doubt that. 

Oh totally, I'm not hoping for JD to start throwing around 2nd rounders like a drunken sailor. As other posters have mentioned, Goedert makes a lot of sense but that's also contingent on resigning him quickly. But if there's a way to swing deals with teams who need cap space at extreme need positions like TE, G, LB, S while the Jets have lots of draft capital and cap space next year, I wouldn't mind them being aggressive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They have Ertz and Goedert. They don't need both on a team going nowhere. 

And while I would love Yeboah to get reps, he could just be bad or a year away. I am more concerned about Wilson getting reps with a competent TE and if Yeboah is good enough he will eventually get his share of reps. 

So what are you willing to trade for Goedert?   
 

Besides, the Eagles love utilizing 2 TE’s, it’s a major part of their offense.  Why would they compromise the development of their young QB for a late round draft pick?  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Oh totally, I'm not hoping for JD to start throwing around 2nd rounders like a drunken sailor. As other posters have mentioned, Goedert makes a lot of sense but that's also contingent on resigning him quickly. But if there's a way to swing deals with teams who need cap space at extreme need positions like TE, G, LB, S while the Jets have lots of draft capital and cap space next year, I wouldn't mind them being aggressive. 

Again, for the same reason that you want the Jets to acquire Goedert (development of our young QB), is why Philly won’t trade him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

how bout getting him a running back that can catch the ball out of the backfield. 

Duke Johnson is available. Underrated player IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You aren’t making any moves in late October that will alter or change the trajectory of this team.  Anyone on the street right now is there for good reason and should stay there.   

Normally I would agree, but I suspect upgrading GVR won't be too hard.  If the Jets cut him he would be on the street too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I get the sentiment that anyone who's available now is probably trash, but the NFL has changed massively in terms of the trade deadline in recent years. The NFL wants a trade deadline rush and have been changing the rules to facilitate that, so teams have more of an incentive to move more established players. The Jets are the perfect example by flipping Avery Williamson/Steve McClendon last year when they were out of the playoff race by October. Not world beaters by any means, but useful starters. We need useful starters. 

The Jets have a sh*t ton of draft picks and a ton of cap space next year. This is exactly the type of year when we should be shopping at the trade deadline to set up next year's push. 

Teams that are competing for championships use the trade deadline to improve over the short run in every single pro sport. The trade deadline is not designed for rebuilding teams.  If anything, the Jets should be sellers (Maye?  Crowder?) and not buyers.  Why should the Jets trade future assets for players that are old or whose contracts are expiring?  It makes no sense.  I agree that upgrading GVR should be a priority and can be accomplished without using a future asset.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I get the sentiment that anyone who's available now is probably trash, but the NFL has changed massively in terms of the trade deadline in recent years. The NFL wants a trade deadline rush and have been changing the rules to facilitate that, so teams have more of an incentive to move more established players. The Jets are the perfect example by flipping Avery Williamson/Steve McClendon last year when they were out of the playoff race by October. Not world beaters by any means, but useful starters. We need useful starters. 

The Jets have a sh*t ton of draft picks and a ton of cap space next year. This is exactly the type of year when we should be shopping at the trade deadline to set up next year's push. 

Accept the fact that the Jets are going nowhere this year!!

If you add players--and I doubt that there is anyone out there we really want--it has to be a player who has a 3 year time horizon.  A veteran at this point is of no real use.

The Jets went all in on player development in 2021.  We see all the losses and they are painful.  You may not like this strategy, but there is no point changing it in the middle of the year.  

This time next year, if the team still looks this bad, then go ahead and get out the torches and pitchforks.  Riot and mayhem justified.  But for now, suck it up.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been trying to figure out why the talk of a Maye trade?  Coming off an injury at a non premium position with half a season left and no contract for next season.  What's that worth?   I'm thinking a 5th or 6th rounder from a contending team meaning its pretty much worthless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So what are you willing to trade for Goedert?   
 

Besides, the Eagles love utilizing 2 TE’s, it’s a major part of their offense.  Why would they compromise the development of their young QB for a late round draft pick?  

Well it's moot now.  But I would have been ok trading a 5th for either especially since we have 11 picks already for next year including multiple early roundpicks and likely getting a pick for Maye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I bet JD does..................................................................................................................nothing.

Holding on tight to those picks to keep the IR spots warm!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...