All is not Lost in Jets 45-30 Drubbing at Hands of Colts; Youngsters Showing Signs of Bright Future

JetNation

AVT.jpg

Yes, if feels like it’s been an eternity at this point.  For years,  Jets fans have lamented the fact that no matter who has been calling the shots at 1 Jets Drive, Gang Green has always been treading water at best, or in quicksand at worst.  Year after year offensive players would be drafted, only to eventually fail and move on.  We all know the names; Sam Darnold, Jarvis Harrison, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Jordan Leggett, Ardarius Steward, Chad Hansen, Eli McGuire, Devin Smith, Charone Peake, and the list goes on.  One crop of failures after another.  But despite last night’s loss, Jets fans are finally seeing offensive draft picks start to pay off.

Sure, in a year that was all about development, some wins would be nice, but there wouldn’t be one of those.  The Colts lit up the Jets by a score of 45-30, but for the second week in a row, the Jets offense looked light years ahead of where they were just a few weeks ago.  Now of course there will be those who say the Jets produced big numbers in garbage time, which is true in terms of the scoreboard, but no in terms of play.

As Super Bowl winning quarterback Troy Aikman said during the broadcast and as was repeated by Jets head coach Robert Saleh after the game, this was no ordinary late-game production.  The Colts never let up.  Their starters played 96% of the team’s snaps.  They were coming after quarterback Josh Johnson until the last whistle and there was no soft zone coverage with defenders playing off the ball and letting the Jets dink and dunk their way down the field.

Johnson relied heavily on rookie wide receiver Elijah Moore, who caught his first two career TD passes, one of which came while the outcome was still in doubt on the Jets second drive.  That’s two weeks in row in which Moore was heavily involved in the offense and found the end zone.  It was just a matter of time.  The kid has been open all year, but the was missing far too often.

Left guard  Alijah Vera-Tucker didn’t play his best game all-around, but he still put together some very impressive reps after several weeks of looking downright dominant.  Add running back Micheal Carter’s recent production to the mix and it would appear the Jets finally have some pieces to build around on offense.

The next step will be seeing how quarterback Zach Wilson performs when he finally finds his way back under center.

Joe Douglas spent multiple premium picks on offense in this last draft.  The defense should be up next.

The post All is not Lost in Jets 45-30 Drubbing at Hands of Colts; Youngsters Showing Signs of Bright Future appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/Gcun8uqzmbE

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It’s lipstick on a pig. We have a couple of nice players, great. So did Detroit with Stafford and Megatron in the 2010s or Sanders in the 90s. A nice player here and there doesn’t win games, building a complete, functional roster does and we’re still lightyears away from that happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

Have to agree, we do have some fine young talent. On the offensive side we just need to rebuild the right side of the line from the center out. With Becton and AVT on the left we could be something special for years to come. Our WR group while not elite yet, is holding there own and with one more baller could be scary. I still have not given up on Mimm’s and hope before the end of the year he and show why he was drafted so high. Add another TE along with Kroft and this could be a go to war offense.
A lot will depend on the development of Zack, yet, we have seen a glimpse of how good White can be. So there is hope in that department as well. I would certainly draft another young QB in the late rounds as well next year.
On the defensive side the young group we have in the secondary is coming along nicely. Hall was a steal and could end of being the leader of that group. We need another DB and it appears a safety as Maye is done. Our D line is almost there, we need another solid pass rusher and young FAST LB’er to play this system.
So while beat downs like we had Thursday night suck, I believe our time is coming. We are going to add some solid players next season thru the draft and FA and then it’s on.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

They offence seem to have solved the main issue Zach Wilson. The D on the other hand WTF. Some of the worse can’t be bothered lacklustre play I’ve ever seen. It’s like they quit from the first kick off.
I think the offense as a whole has been better ... Zach doesnt play OL, RB, WR, TE. He is growing into the role and a great prospect.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, JetNation said:

AVT.jpg

Yes, if feels like it’s been an eternity at this point.  For years,  Jets fans have lamented the fact that no matter who has been calling the shots at 1 Jets Drive, Gang Green has always been treading water at best, or in quicksand at worst.  Year after year offensive players would be drafted, only to eventually fail and move on.  We all know the names; Sam Darnold, Jarvis Harrison, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Jordan Leggett, Ardarius Steward, Chad Hansen, Eli McGuire, Devin Smith, Charone Peake, and the list goes on.  One crop of failures after another.  But despite last night’s loss, Jets fans are finally seeing offensive draft picks start to pay off.

Sure, in a year that was all about development, some wins would be nice, but there wouldn’t be one of those.  The Colts lit up the Jets by a score of 45-30, but for the second week in a row, the Jets offense looked light years ahead of where they were just a few weeks ago.  Now of course there will be those who say the Jets produced big numbers in garbage time, which is true in terms of the scoreboard, but no in terms of play.

As Super Bowl winning quarterback Troy Aikman said during the broadcast and as was repeated by Jets head coach Robert Saleh after the game, this was no ordinary late-game production.  The Colts never let up.  Their starters played 96% of the team’s snaps.  They were coming after quarterback Josh Johnson until the last whistle and there was no soft zone coverage with defenders playing off the ball and letting the Jets dink and dunk their way down the field.

Johnson relied heavily on rookie wide receiver Elijah Moore, who caught his first two career TD passes, one of which came while the outcome was still in doubt on the Jets second drive.  That’s two weeks in row in which Moore was heavily involved in the offense and found the end zone.  It was just a matter of time.  The kid has been open all year, but the was missing far too often.

Left guard  Alijah Vera-Tucker didn’t play his best game all-around, but he still put together some very impressive reps after several weeks of looking downright dominant.  Add running back Micheal Carter’s recent production to the mix and it would appear the Jets finally have some pieces to build around on offense.

The next step will be seeing how quarterback Zach Wilson performs when he finally finds his way back under center.

Joe Douglas spent multiple premium picks on offense in this last draft.  The defense should be up next.

The post All is not Lost in Jets 45-30 Drubbing at Hands of Colts; Youngsters Showing Signs of Bright Future appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/Gcun8uqzmbE

Click here to read the full story...

I know Aikman said that but it wasn't  what I saw. I saw the Colts in Prevent for a really long time. As far as Saleh, what do you expect him to say? Well the Colts got such a large lead in the first half, they really didn't  try on the second which allowed us to get some easy scores?

We have a real bright future w/ Douglas, Saleh and Lafleur.  We will be contending for a Super Bowl in 2023.  Yesterdays performance was a down in a typical up and down season in year 1 of a rebuild.
Steadfast.. have to give you props there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What does this defense look like if we had seen Mike Whites potential and drafted Micah Parsons?

I like AVT and think the young DBs, RB, and Moore can be solid players

Becton will always be a blown wheel away from retirement due to his size. 

we need linebackers with size and toughness. Put #56 back on the field

our DLine is overrated. #95 is guy good teams get in the 4th round

I was very critical of Lafleur, but in these last two games i have been able to see an idea or concept, heck call it even a personality on offense. I have seen in other words a starting point from which, if  we stay on plan, significant growth can be expected.

The same thing can be said about defense if we take into account a couple of games, not all games, and most certainly not the two against the pats and the colts, but if you look at two games, just like we are looking at the last two games as the two best games for the offense, we will find that the defense also has an interesting starting point.

Neither of these two units is a couple of players away. For instance, on offense we need a C, RG, WR and TE. While on defense we need EDGE, LB, and two S.

Both of these units have disappointing recently added talent, Mims and Franklin Myers. However, we also have interesting playmakers on both sides: Hall and Carter II + Moore, Carter and Johnson.

This team is still a work in progress, and having a short week was too much of a challenge for a group that is still finding itself.

Wilson should not see the field again this season. That much is clear to me, not as punishment or in anger, but because the idea of a rookie QB sitting out his first season is still a good idea.

To truly turn it around, Douglas should change his approach on free agency and be aggressive to improve, not to cover holes, really improve on those areas of need i mentioned before. Then use the draft to double down on those same areas of need. The problem we've had for years of that we have been so thin at playmakers, the moment injuries happen, we have been completely decimated, unable to really rely upon the phrase next man up.

Sorry for the lengthy post; it's usually not my style, but I felt it needed to be said.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Has the team improved from week 1 to week 8?  

that is the question we should be asking.  

On the offensive side of the ball, yes. OL, which everyone loves to kill has been very good the last few weeks after an awful start.  First three games, Zach was sacked over 10% of his dropbacks, last five games, we have been at about 4%, which would be top 10 in the league.  Averaged over 430 yards of offense last three games.  Offense is improving.  Defense is a mess and has gotten worse,  Much worse.

One thing I can't figure out, when Adam Gase was our HC, offense was horrific and defense was average.  Now that Robert Saleh is HC, defense is horrific and offense is improving.  Hopefully they get the defense figured out and play some decent ball over the second half, but its hard to find much reason for optimism after the NE and Indy games.

• Upvote 2

The bar is so low that a few young players showing progress is a huge victory I guess.  There's not a team in the league that can't point to a handful of young promising players on their team as a reason to feel hopeful yet we are the only one who routinely is non competitive. 

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

We have such a low bar that’s it’s hard to judge progress.

Although  some players flash it’s a team sport. To me progress would be keeping games close and stealing some. But that’s just me. 

Except a lot of the Jets young guys aren't "flashing".  They're consistently playing very well and living up to the hype that surrounded them when they were drafted.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

We scored 30 with Johnson leading the way. Yeah pretty sure it's the not the end of the world. Most would have us scoring 1 field goal that game.

Last year's team couldn't get a first down with a backup QB.  This team put up 30 points with QB3.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I know Aikman said that but it wasn't  what I saw. I saw the Colts in Prevent for a really long time. As far as Saleh, what do you expect him to say? Well the Colts got such a large lead in the first half, they really didn't  try on the second which allowed us to get some easy scores?

Agree to disagree.  Before Aikman made the comment I noticed it and wondered why the Colts weren't backing off a bit.  Still saw receivers having to beat press/tight coverage with the defense hounding Josh Johnson.  They did the same on offense.  Up by a million and going 4-wide shotgun to throw it down the field.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

On the offensive side of the ball, yes. OL, which everyone loves to kill has been very good the last few weeks after an awful start.  First three games, Zach was sacked over 10% of his dropbacks, last five games, we have been at about 4%, which would be top 10 in the league.  Averaged over 430 yards of offense last three games.  Offense is improving.  Defense is a mess and has gotten worse,  Much worse.

One thing I can't figure out, when Adam Gase was our HC, offense was horrific and defense was average.  Now that Robert Saleh is HC, defense is horrific and offense is improving.  Hopefully they get the defense figured out and play some decent ball over the second half, but its hard to find much reason for optimism after the NE and Indy games.

Bring back Gase  and we’re good to go 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

There are more than a couple of nice players, but I understand it's very important to some fans to downplay anything good the team does.

Man I’ve defended JD on here for the past 3 years and the current regime all season/offseason but at a certain point I start to feel like I’m lying to myself. I would love to see this team turn it around and play consistently starting next week but with each successive halftime blowout it’s becoming harder to maintain that optimism.

I’ll be right here next Sunday rooting for them to show out and kick Buffalo’s ass, but doubt over this regime and the long term plan is definitely starting to creep in.

I just want games that are worth watching for all 4 quarters. Is that too much?

9 hours ago, fullblast said:

It’s lipstick on a pig. We have a couple of nice players, great. So did Detroit with Stafford and Megatron in the 2010s or Sanders in the 90s. A nice player here and there doesn’t win games, building a complete, functional roster does and we’re still lightyears away from that happening.

Hey JD needs those couple nice players to keep offloading talent for magic beans AKA draft picks 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Agree to disagree.  Before Aikman made the comment I noticed it and wondered why the Colts weren't backing off a bit.  Still saw receivers having to beat press/tight coverage with the defense hounding Josh Johnson.  They did the same on offense.  Up by a million and going 4-wide shotgun to throw it down the field.

I agree they didn't  stop trying to score, but I think the D let up

• Upvote 1