Ashtyn Davis

This guy blows hard. We need to get him off the field next year. 

He can't just tackle someone he has to try to strip the ball every time and ends up getting dragged 3-4 yards every time. I don't think he's ever even forced a strip doing this crap.

I'm a little traumatized by drafting safeties early but we may be looking at the ND kid with our #1 pick.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He’s a great tackler, a big hitter. 

But he was drafted as a hyper-athletic super fast free safety to play that deep center field knocking down passes or picking them off. 

He hasn’t been that guy. 

Mostly you notice him as the guy 5 yards away from the receiver that just caught a TD, he’s got his hand in the air questioning  where the help was. 

You ARE the help. 

A great tackler? On what planet?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He can't just tackle someone he has to try to strip the ball every time and ends up getting dragged 3-4 yards every time. I don't think he's ever even forced a strip doing this crap.

I'm a little traumatized by drafting safeties early but we may be looking at the ND kid with our #1 pick.

I don't know about our top pick; in/around the top 5 is too high for me for a safety.

But with the Seattle pick (#11 overall heading into this weekend)? Yeah I could get on board with that, particularly since it isn't the team's only 1st round pick. Just so long as it's someone who can do a credible job in coverage and not just a small ILB.

And btw they also need a MLB. Mosley is arguably a worse signing than Trumaine Johnson, seeing how he got 3 years fully guaranteed and Johnson only got 2. Mosley still has another $16MM guaranteed salary next year, too. Painful. 

They'll get C.Lawson back next year, and hopefully he stays healthy enough to help free up JFM more; pretty unlikely they go edge in the first 2 rounds with that much already invested in those two. 

34 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You too Barry?

Don't turn into one of those over reacting crybaby cunts that over run this board.  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know about our top pick; in/around the top 5 is too high for me for a safety.

But with the Seattle pick (#11 overall heading into this weekend)? Yeah I could get on board with that, particularly since it isn't the team's only 1st round pick. Just so long as it's someone who can do a credible job in coverage and not just a small ILB.

And btw they also need a MLB. Mosley is arguably a worse signing than Trumaine Johnson, seeing how he got 3 years fully guaranteed and Johnson only got 2. Mosley still has another $16MM guaranteed salary next year, too. Painful. 

They'll get C.Lawson back next year, and hopefully he stays healthy enough to help free up JFM more; pretty unlikely they go edge in the first 2 rounds with that much already invested in those two. 

No.

Get the stud edge with our first round pick and suddenly the secondary will get better.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can 100% see an edge in the first. Those are really the only guys worth targeting with a top 5 pick. There will be a few available there. JFM is only on a 1 year deal and can be replaced by the rookie who will have a 5 year contract. I’m guessing it will be Hutchinson from Michigan.  He has the highest PFF grade since  chase young for an edge. 

50 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yep another sLOjOE PICK.   Douglas is a gd joke.

22 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I can 100% see an edge in the first. Those are really the only guys worth targeting with a top 5 pick. There will be a few available there. JFM is only on a 1 year deal and can be replaced by the rookie who will have a 5 year contract. I’m guessing it will be Hutchinson from Michigan.  He has the highest PFF grade since  chase young for an edge. 

See my post above.

Tied into $14MM/year for JFM and $15MM/year for Carl Lawson, and both transactions just happened in 2021.

They're not then going to take an edge in the 1st round in 2022 on top of that.

Not unless they change GMs.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It’s not just him it’s league wide. Everyone goes for the strip or puts a shoulder to the ball carrier . Nobody wraps up anymore or very very few do 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

See my post above.

Tied into $14MM/year for JFM and $15MM/year for Carl Lawson, and both transactions just happened in 2021.

You need a pipeline at edge if you're running a 4-3. I get what you're saying but I wouldn't rule it out.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

See my post above.

JFM is a 1 year deal. He’s not a long term investment. Can be cut after next season with only 1.5 in dead money. Lawson can be cut after next year too with only 300k in dead money. It makes total sense to draft an edge when you don’t have any long term investments on the team at edge. JD has been very smart in giving out contracts with very little long term guarantees. Mosley will be gone after next year too. This team has very little tied into guys for the future which is great for signing in house guys once they develop and gives a lot of wiggle room for future FA acquisitions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

It’s not just him it’s league wide. Everyone goes for the strip or puts a shoulder to the ball carrier . Nobody wraps up anymore or very very few do 

Davis is doing this in a lot of situations when it's a bad idea and he's a lightweight getting dragged when he tries. It's something you can do if someone else already has a guy wrapped up but not as the first one there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Davis is doing this in a lot of situations when it's a bad idea and he's a lightweight getting dragged when he tries. It's something you can do if someone else already has a guy wrapped up but not as the first one there.

Understood but it happens all the time around the league. Tackling is not being taught anymore it’s shoulders and not wrapping up Eveyone looking looking for a big hit so they can get on the YOU GOT MOSSED segment on ESPN 

• Upvote 1