is it the QB or the wrs?

kmnj

WR was supposed to be a position of great strength for the team

Moore is now thankfully balling-I had high hopes for him and gave Joe credit for this pick which is only fair as I have blasted many of his terrible picks from the draft and his poor free agents-Moore looks like he could be our first legit number one caliber WR we have been searching for many years.-might even be a jersey you could buy and be proud of wearing if you are a jersey type of guy.

Davis has been MIA

Crowder-I would rate his season as poor

Keenan -showing he is the jaq everybody thought he was

Mims- wishes he was stephen hill at this point

Are the WRS (excluding Moore) just bad or is it just they cant be productive with the musical chairs and QB?

Are the WRS helping Wilson or is Wilson hurting them?

I don’t know

But I’m getting more and more on board with taking a guy like Garrett Wilson with one of those 1st rounders.

Davis clearly isn’t reliable and certainly isn’t #1 material.

After this season we have Moore, Davis and who? Berrios if they re-sign him? Anyone still holding out hope for Mims is goofy.

We haven’t taken a WR in the 1st round in 20 years. It’s about time that changed.

• Upvote 2

At this stage I would say it's the QB.  But that doesn't mean the WR corps has overachieved by any means.  If the game continues to slow down for Zach, the WRs will look better.

That being said, grabbing an excellent pass catching TE that can be a mismatch against LBers would be a huge boon to this offense.  As much as I would love another young piece on the OL, I have to say unless they absolutely kill it in FA most of high picks this year should be defense.  If they can keep this young core (Moore, Carter, Vera-Tucker, Becton, Wilson) together and playing well through next year with an improved defense, the 2023 draft would be a great time to pick up a WR in the first round to actually make a real run in to the playoffs.

At least that's what I'll keep telling myself for now.  Lord knows it'll probably go south and get blown up again.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Moore is now thankfully balling-I had high hopes for him and gave Joe credit for this pick which is only fair as I have blasted many of his terrible picks from the draft and his poor free agents-Moore looks like he could be our first legit number one caliber WR we have been searching for many years.-might even be a jersey you could buy and be proud of wearing if you are a jersey type of guy.

Davis has been MIA

Are the WRS (excluding Moore) just bad or is it just they cant be productive with the musical chairs and QB?

With the exception of Mims and at times Davis, I think this group of WR's is making the most of the opportunities given. Cole has made a number of good catches, some that were badly thrown behind him. Let's  not forget that this team has been throwing to the RB's a lot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I said this in the off-season when Davis and Cole were signed and everyone was going bonkers for it.  These aren’t great WRs.  Davis had 1 good season and until then was thought of as a 1st round bust. Cole wasn’t productive on the jags, who have always been terrible.  Unfortunately there wasn’t many top end options available though.  

• Upvote 2

It's both. Zach had a good progress game, but he is still not great. However, I expected that from a rookie. The nice thing about WRs, though, is that they can bail the QB out if they throw a not great pass. The only WR I really saw do that was Elijah Moore, who is also a rookie. But Zach can't expect the WRs to bail him out every time too. There were a lot of bad drops on good throws too.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Other than Moore and Crowder, the WR group has been terrible. Davis has been criminally bad.  If Wilson is going to succeed, the room needs a significant upgrade this offseason. 

Davis has only been "bad" against the unrealistic "True #1 WR" expectations bandied about this off season. He's performing on par with his career average in YPG and catch % and trending way above in TDs.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

Davis has been MIA

Are the WR's (excluding Moore) just bad or is it just they cant be productive with the musical chairs and QB?

Davis's drop % prior to the Jets:  5.4, 5.8 & 3.3.

Davis's drop % since joining the Jets:  8.5

Davis's other stats:

Targets Per Game Pre-Jets:  6.03

Targets Per Game With Jets:  6.55

Receptions Per Game Pre-Jets:  3.69

Receptions Per Game With Jets:  3.77

Yards Per Game Pre-Jets:  50.91

Yards Per Game With Jets:  54.67

TD's Per Game Pre-Jets:  0.19

TD's Per Game With Jets:  0.44

Avg. Games Played Pre-Jets:  14

Est. Games Played With Jets:  10-14

Fumbles-Per-Season Pre-Jets:  1

Fumbles Per-Season With Jets (So Far):  2

Generally speaking, with Davis, it looks like we got exactly what he was with the Titans, with only the drops being worse.  

Otherwise, it appears he in on pace to match or exceed his career averages across the board.

What he will NOT do is match his contract-walk-year of 2020.

Hmmm, I feel like someone might have said that at some point......

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

We need defense, defense, defense, and Zach to grow into a mid-level NFL starter next season and hopefully continue upward in seasons beyond.

9 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Other than Moore and Crowder, the WR group has been terrible. Davis has been criminally bad.  If Wilson is going to succeed, the room needs a significant upgrade this offseason. 

I really don’t think we will or should target WR much in the offseason.  We REALLY need a quality TE, a reliable big body that Zach can fling it to underneath when getting harassed.  We have watched quality TEs torch us for over a decade and have not thought to allocate resources there.  Other than that, yes we need defense.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Davis's other stats:

Generally speaking, with Davis, it looks like we got exactly what he was with the Titans, with only the drops being worse.  

Otherwise, it appears he in on pace to match or exceed his career averages across the board.

Strange that his drop percentage went up so much. I wonder if there's a cause or if it's just a random thing.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Davis's other stats:

Fumbles-Per-Season Pre-Jets:  1

Fumbles Per-Season With Jets (So Far):  2

What I said 10 minutes earlier but with a lot more words. You spermified my post and didn't reference/build upon mine, you heathen!

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

What I said 10 minutes earlier but with a lot more words. You spermified my post and didn't reference/build upon mine, you heathen!

Was writing it before you posted, honestly.  Never saw yours till after mine was posted. 

Great minds think alike, and thank you for the SpermEdwards comparison, I take that as a compliment.

• Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Was writing it before you posted, honestly.  Never saw yours till after mine was posted. 

Great minds think alike, and thank you for the SpermEdwards comparison, I take that as a compliment.

****. I intended to insult both of you in one fell swoop.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

First and foremost, It’s the QB. Zach has played poorly most of the year. Took a step forward this last game, but still needs to get better.

With that said Corey Davis has underperformed. He was suppose to be a good number 2.

Elijah Moore though. While he is not that alpha x-type WR, he has shown we should run the offense through him.

Mims is at best a backup.

Sign a good outside WR, have Moore play mostly from the slot and feast.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets offense this year with Zach Wilson under center:  15.1 points per game.

Jets offense with anyone but Zach Wilson under center:  22.2 points per game

But sure.  It's all Corey Davis' fault.  

And yet, paradoxically, his absence will also be used as an excuse should Zack fail to progress.

• Upvote 2

Jets offense this year with Zach Wilson under center:  15.1 points per game.
Jets offense with anyone but Zach Wilson under center:  22.2 points per game

But sure.  It's all Corey Davis' fault.  

The sooner you realize the whole team is bad…the better. Asking a rookie QB to cover up the issues on this team is beyond stupid. Kid is constantly asked to play catch-up every game because our defense and running game stinks. You cannot give up 25+ points every week and miss field goals and XPs I don’t care who the QB is.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app