Tension boiling over with Urban Meyer and Jags

54 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There were a number of people here (I promise you I remember who you all are) that declared to me that Urban Meyer should have been our target, wouldn’t be the next HC because the Johnson’s were cheap, and we would rue the day that we lost out on the dynamite duo of Trevor and Meyer.

Those people are known as "low information" Jets fans. Who is brave enough to put their name on that?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Rumors are that Charlie Strong ex Texas Longhorns HC has stepped in on a leadership basis and helped the situation with players, he has the respect of players and management who believe he's done a good job adapting from NCAAF to the NFL. And that if Urban is fired he could be named next Jags HC. I never thought that stopover by Urban at a bar in Columbus was as big a deal as some reporters claimed it was but these reports of Urban going after other coaches on the team etc. calling them losers is another thing. I always thought he had great relationships with his players and coaching staffs. If he benches a player who fumbles it happens all the time BB has benched plenty of backs even this year for fumbling. Look Urban got out of coaching because of medical personal reasons and maybe he just wasn't mentally or physically ready to go back to this grind. It's a 24/7 job. 

1 minute ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Serious Q.  How many college coaches have come straight in as HC in NFL and been successful.  I am trying to think of any and can’t come up with one…

How dare you!  Are you not forgetting the great lou Holtz who joined the jets......and yeah he couldn't even last a season and quit.   I got nothing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Serious Q.  How many college coaches have come straight in as HC in NFL and been successful.  I am trying to think of any and can’t come up with one…

Paul Brown, Jimmy Johnson Jim Harbaugh, and Kliff Kingsbury are the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Barry Switzer had immediate success, iirc. It was the Cowboys that Jimmy Johnson built, but I think it took a few years for everyone to realize he sucked. 

Yeah I was going to add Switzer, but I could have coached that team to a SB.  I guess he counts, but the list still remains short!

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The fact that Marvin Jones reached his breaking point is telling, especially since Jones has never had any issues like this before, and could handle being on Matt Patricia's Lions for multiple seasons.

9EEA7298-F362-412B-A8A5-CB6649C5D9C8.thumb.jpeg.0af0067e5deba61a4cf52a26dee2d298.jpeg

How Khan hasn't fired him yet is behind me

If there's any owner that's worse than Woody it's Khan

"One of the NFL's most patient and supportive owners, Khan dreamed for years of Meyer -- a three-time college national champion at Florida and Ohio State -- coaching his team and overhauling the culture of a franchise accustomed to losing, before finally luring him out of retirement in January."

anybody who dreams of a college coach coaching their team must have been hit on the head with a frying pan

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

I would argue it's even worse, Meyer's piled up way more crap than Gase or Kotite I think

He's doing pretty much everything a coach can do to get fired

~Losing

~Blaming stuff on everybody else

~Alienating locker room

~Catching the attention of the media in a negative way

~Doing a lot of questionable stuff off the field

I can live with this.

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Paul Brown, Jimmy Johnson Jim Harbaugh, and Kliff Kingsbury are the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Even jimmy Johnson was 1-15 in his first season in Dallas and a lot of people mocked him as a “college coach” - most famously, Rex’s dad 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Urban Meyer is absolute filth and the fact that he once worked at the University of Florida bought him a first-class ticket straight to the bowels of hell, but come on now. Saleh fielded one top-10 scoring defense in his life, and that was the year the Niners offense was rushing for 150+ per game. In 2017, he was ranked 25th, in 2018, ranked 28th, 2019 8th, and then 2020 he was 18th. Comparing his resume to Urban is cray-balls.

Yes, because Saleh was a defensive coordinator and Meyer was a college head coach and none of it has anything to do with the big chair. Let's stop feeding into the dumb person narrative that some guys are just super clever at teaching technique and scheme and that's why some NFL head coaches are better than others. There are a thousand guys who can do that, which is why it gets farmed out to the assistants. Neither of them has any relevant experience at the C level stuff. Urban is a recruiter with frankly a disastrous record of managing staffs.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Meyer isn’t a “tough” coach.   He’s a morally bankrupt narcissist that is just collecting a paycheck.   You couldn’t find a worse human being coaching in the NFL right now.  

Do you have examples of his morally bankrupt personality.  I remember the dancing from this year.  What else?  Thanks

50 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

These are the words and actions of a CLOWN!!  

You hire these coaches and then act like you were drugged and dragged to come to that organization!

I said it at the time and I will say it now I will take Robert Saleh knowing his current struggles over Myers BOZO act any day!!

Bozo The Clown Vintage Kids Shows GIF - BozoTheClown VintageKidsShows -  Discover & Share GIFs | Bozo the clown, Kids shows, Clown show

And next and soon... Meyers will be doing this and wanting out of Jacksonville....

Fred Sanford GIFs | Tenor

tumblr_p1cksgZ8Qt1rdqbfro3_500.gif

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

No idea if we did, nor was I implying that.  That said, the only people who didn’t see this coming with Meyer haven’t been paying attention to his entire coaching career.  This isn’t college.  Hiring a guy by throwing stupid money at him, who has ALWAYS dipped when the going got tough, ran some of the most toxic teams in football history, to “lead” a rebuild that was almost assuredly going to start off this way because of how bad the Jaguars were, and expecting it to end up being successful is such a head scratching thought process that it’s hard to believe that anyone felt differently.

I thought he would pull a Fred G Sanford

Best Fred Sanford Heart Attack GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not in his first season. He was 1-15 in 1989. But he was

building monster in Dallas  . . . 

He had a team that he would completely toss out with with the Hershel Walker trade.  And he had Aikman as a rookie who had a 52% comp, 159 yds a game, 8 tds and 18 INTs.  He made Zach look like Mahomes.  

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

There were a number of people here (I promise you I remember who you all are) that declared to me that Urban Meyer should have been our target, wouldn’t be the next HC because the Johnson’s were cheap, and we would rue the day that we lost out on the dynamite duo of Trevor and Meyer.

I'm newer to this board, but how could anyone have thought Urban would have worked out in the NFL? It was more obvious than Saban to Dolphins that he wouldn't work out. The way he left Utah, Florida, and OSU. Not a steady professional. He walked into really good teams in College and added a player or two. He never had the patience for an NFL-long-professional-full-on-career-build.

• Upvote 1