Sauce and Hamilton in the first?

Shelbyblue

5 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

Yeah, I would never draft Ed Reed that high.

It all depends on the specific draftee.

And they didn’t draft Ed Reed that high lmao. Usually people don’t know when a safety is going to be a hall of famer, or any player for that matter, so taking a guy in the 1st round and saying this is my Brian Dawkins and this pick is justified because he is my Brian Dawkins, that’s foolish. That’s not how the GM world actually works.

7 hours ago, varjet said:

This idea is not optimal for Wilson’s development but not as crazy as some may think it is.

Just because Zach needs more weapons does not mean that we should reach for a WR at 10.  Based on historical drafts, a pick like Sauce makes complete sense at 10.

I heard Blewett do an analysis of Hamilton and conclude that he was not a “generational” Safety you pick at 4.  Maybe if he is there at 10.  One of the OL, or an EDGE that drops, will be the value pick at 4.  We need a S but should pay up for one of the FA or look for a Brisker early RD 2, which is where he should go.   By signing at least one S we can use that RD 2A pick on McBride as well.

The value pick at 10/1B could be Sauce, or it could a LB as well.  It also makes sense in this draft to try and sign or trade for a WR so we can draft other needs.  

We’ll safety is the reason we lost the Bucs game in the end since the play at the end should not occur if the man at the backend can cover. But, then seeing the KC playoff game these plays couldn’t be stopped either.

For everybody saying to draft offense I feel like you guys are gonna be in for a rude awakening. I’m willing to bet Douglas tries to finish building the offense in free agency/trade (WR, RG, TE) and focus on the draft for defense. This draft is loaded with defense anyway.

• Upvote 2

On 1/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, The Crusher said:

LOL, Are you Seattle would do it? 

Seattle: hey JD how ya doin?

JD: Better than you ????

Seatlle: So JD, how about I give you a 2023 1st rounder to take J Adams back. Nice huh ? 

JD: hmmm ? make it two first rounders - a 2023 & 2024

Seattle: damn JD you a savage!

A draft expert was saying many teams feel Hamiiton should be converted to LB - hard pass. Secondary can be addressed after the second round. Sign a #1 corner in FA and use later draft picks on a corner. Edge is the only part of the D that we should use marquee picks on. Otherwise, you have to help Zach. If our O is excellent and our D stinks, it will bode well for the team moving forward. Just the addition of Lawson and maybe another edge in the draft, our D will be substantially better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Why are people obsessed with Kyle Hamilton? Do you really want to see us score 12ppg again next year and instead of giving up 30ppg, we give up 28ppg?

It’s a pathology “he’s the best player in the draft!!!”

Been there done that a bunch of times. 

Some folks never learn. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:31 PM, The Crusher said:

Yes, let’s draft another safety high and hopefully in three years we can get a couple first for him to draft another safety high. 

Yes. Always great to find the Jets again in years 2 and 3 trying to figure out why they took a safety so high such they will now be on the hook for a 2nd big ass contract for a guy playing a nonpremium position you can fill with a reasonably priced free agent every March. Or trading his ass. 

Rams starting safety today is Eric Weddle, signed off the street after the season ended, off 2 years of retirement. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, Rhg1084 said:

For everybody saying to draft offense I feel like you guys are gonna be in for a rude awakening. I’m willing to bet Douglas tries to finish building the offense in free agency/trade (WR, RG, TE) and focus on the draft for defense. This draft is loaded with defense anyway.

Facts. Sign a guard, TE, WR and the offense is set. 

I don’t think safety is a need by the time we hit the draft. There are so many high level safeties available that I think it will be considered a strength sooner than later.

At this point, I think the expectation at 4 needs to be OL in either Neal or Ekwonu unless Hutch or Thibs falls… which is possible.

At 10, things get interesting. I also expect WR to have been addressed in free agency or a trade, but if not that is the logical spot here. Ultimately I feel that this pick gets traded. It feels like it’s in a little bit of no man’s land, but the pre-draft process may change that. This is a spot where a really good CB could get grabbed. Sauce is my CB1

11 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I don’t think safety is a need by the time we hit the draft. There are so many high level safeties available that I think it will be considered a strength sooner than later.

At this point, I think the expectation at 4 needs to be OL in either Neal or Ekwonu unless Hutch or Thibs falls… which is possible.

At 10, things get interesting. I also expect WR to have been addressed in free agency or a trade, but if not that is the logical spot here. Ultimately I feel that this pick gets traded. It feels like it’s in a little bit of no man’s land, but the pre-draft process may change that. This is a spot where a really good CB could get grabbed. Sauce is my CB1

Why do people keep pushing OL? Watching this years teams it should be obvious that having 1st round guys all over the OL is completely unnecessary. 

Bengals 1 first round pick, 2 6th round picks, and 2 undrafted guys on the line. 

Rams 2 second round picks, 2 4th round picks, and a 5th round pick. 

Yet all of you people want 3 first rounders within 3 years on the ol. Explain that to me. 

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why do people keep pushing OL? Watching this years teams it should be obvious that having 1st round guys all over the OL is completely unnecessary. 

Bengals 1 first round pick, 2 6th round picks, and 2 undrafted guys on the line. 

Rams 2 second round picks, 2 4th round picks, and a 5th round pick. 

Yet all of you people want 3 first rounders within 3 years on the ol. Explain that to me. 

I don’t look at it as pushing it as much as it flat out being the way the draft will fall. Both Ikem and Neal have played every position on the line outside of C if I am not mistaken. Regardless of which one they took, I think the plan would be to start them at RG and move them to RT if/when Fant moved on. This would give the Jets an outright dominant OL assuming Becton returned to rookie year form. Forget about the numbers Michael Carter could put up.

That’s just the way I see it playing out today. There aren’t any skill position players worthy of the #4 pick. If some WR comes out and blows the doors off the combine and interviews, then I’d let it ride on them. Right now, OL seems like the no brainer pick. An embarrassment of riches on the OL is a nice problem to have.

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I don’t look at it as pushing it as much as it flat out being the way the draft will fall. Both Ikem and Neal have played every position on the line outside of C if I am not mistaken. Regardless of which one they took, I think the plan would be to start them at RG and move them to RT if/when Fant moved on. This would give the Jets an outright dominant OL assuming Becton returned to rookie year form. Forget about the numbers Michael Carter could put up.

That’s just the way I see it playing out today. There aren’t any skill position players worthy of the #4 pick. If some WR comes out and blows the doors off the combine and interviews, then I’d let it ride on them. Right now, OL seems like the no brainer pick. An embarrassment of riches on the OL is a nice problem to have.

With how the line is it makes way more sense to just sign a guard in the off-season since there are 2 rookies contracts on it.  Use the premium draft capital for other positions. Draft ol in the mid rounds to develop (which is what most teams do)

Just now, BurntDice said:

With how the line is it makes way more sense to just sign a guard in the off-season since there are 2 rookies contracts on it.  Use the premium draft capital for other positions 

I would agree if there seemed like other viable options out there. I think the best case scenario is to hope that Neal and Ikem go top 3 and either Hutchinson or Thibadeaux slides.  If we went outside of OL it would probably be a decent reach for Karlaftis or Garrett Wilson. I’d rather go Drake London at 10 if WR wasn’t addressed in FA

24 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I would agree if there seemed like other viable options out there. I think the best case scenario is to hope that Neal and Ikem go top 3 and either Hutchinson or Thibadeaux slides.  If we went outside of OL it would probably be a decent reach for Karlaftis or Garrett Wilson. I’d rather go Drake London at 10 if WR wasn’t addressed in FA

I wish the top end talent in this draft was better, but I’m hoping we take one of the edges or Hamilton at 4 and either a cb or Lloyd at 10. I don’t really like these wrs enough to pick them top 10. They are all probably on par with Moore coming out who was a 2nd round pick. 

Id just sign someone like Allen Robinson. A true #1 with no draft capital used. 

Even if we don’t get an edge at 4 the guys who will be there at 35 aren’t much of a downgrade from them. Like Johnson, sanders, Thomas (who I’m really starting to like). The drop off from Hamilton and brisker is pretty steep at safety though same with corner. There are 4ish really good ones then it falls off a cliff. I love kyler Gordon in the second, but after him there’s not much 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jago said:

then you mean dont bother drafting any D in the first ?

I want an excellent Edge rusher in the 1st if the right guy intersects with the right pick for the Jets.  But I certainly don't think two defenders make sense with #4 and #10.  I think my preference would be Edge/WR, Edge/OL, or OL/WR with the Jets first two picks.... but again, it depends who specifically is there at #4 and #10.  I don't want a Safety, LB, DT or CB in those spots.  If we're going D then it has to be an Edge rusher (unless the Jets do something like trade back into the teens or 20's and then some other guys enter the equation).

• Sympathy 1

As diabolically lacking in talent as our D is, we gotta help our young QB out with some WR’s and TE’s, also need another RB to complement the excellent MC1 and the o-line, while not in need of a first round pick investment could still use a top C or RG in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and some depth/ future RT….and then when you look at the D the one area that actually has some depth and talent would be CB, another starter opposite Hall wouldn’t go amiss but there’s far too many other areas that desperately need addressing, this team needs edge & DL talent in the worst way, a great pass rush makes life easier for the secondary 

I want an excellent Edge rusher in the 1st if the right guy intersects with the right pick for the Jets.  But I certainly don't think two defenders make sense with #4 and #10.  I think my preference would be Edge/WR, Edge/OL, or OL/WR with the Jets first two picks.... but again, it depends who specifically is there at #4 and #10.  I don't want a Safety, LB, DT or CB in those spots.  If we're going D then it has to be an Edge rusher (unless the Jets do something like trade back into the teens or 20's and then some other guys enter the equation).

I think we’re in the same place, the only thing I’m adding is that I think the “right” CB could also be considered in R1 if bap.
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jago said:

I think we’re in the same place, the only thing I’m adding is that I think the “right” CB could also be considered in R1 if bap.

Yup, and let's remember that our whole list of what we now think are priorities will likely change in March with free agency.  If the Jets make two or three big moves at positions like CB, WR, OL, then the complexion of Draft desires will change a bit.  Not that I think a team should prioritize need over the best players but it should certainly be a factor and at least a tiebreaker when the Jets are on the clock.

How great would it be heading into the Draft and not having blatant, obvious needs at certain positions?

• Sympathy 1