Sauce and Hamilton in the first?

Shelbyblue

This idea is not optimal for Wilson’s development but not as crazy as some may think it is.

Just because Zach needs more weapons does not mean that we should reach for a WR at 10.  Based on historical drafts, a pick like Sauce makes complete sense at 10.

I heard Blewett do an analysis of Hamilton and conclude that he was not a “generational” Safety you pick at 4.  Maybe if he is there at 10.  One of the OL, or an EDGE that drops, will be the value pick at 4.  We need a S but should pay up for one of the FA or look for a Brisker early RD 2, which is where he should go.   By signing at least one S we can use that RD 2A pick on McBride as well.

The value pick at 10/1B could be Sauce, or it could a LB as well.  It also makes sense in this draft to try and sign or trade for a WR so we can draft other needs.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, let’s draft another safety high and hopefully in three years we can get a couple first for him to draft another safety high. 

It's like some of us have amnesia.  Or short term memory loss.  Or traumatic brain injury (that's what the whole Prez dealio gave me). 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

heard Blewett do an analysis of Hamilton and conclude that he was not a “generational” Safety you pick at 4.  Maybe if he is there at 10

I think you are missing the point, draft value wise, that position should not be drafted in the top 10…ever. There are far better ways to use premium draft capital and still get a productive player at that position & if they don’t and it gets put on the back burner for next year’s offseason needs, it doesn’t hurt that bad because it’s the safety position.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

Sounds crazy but Kyle Hamilton with his size and range along with a lockdown corner with the size of Gardener oh boy!. We have to defend against Diggs and Waddle who torch this defense, can this be the difference?

Makes no sense at all for what JD values or how the defense values CBs. We may never again draft a corner before the 4th round. That is the range you get the best "zone only" CBs and that is sort of what we need. Safety is higher valued but just look at that as literally the exact opposite of what the Jets would do. If Rex was here, maybe. But not this regime.

what happens in 4 years when Hamilton wants to be paid like he is the " Best in the Nation" 

you gonna give him more then Jamal Adams? which at that time should be around 20 mil a year? 

see i believe your 1st rd picks should if good get a 2nd contract from you otherwise were just like a minor league for another team. 

we go thru their growing pains only to let them go in there prime.

Buffalo had one of the best defenses and had 2 safeties make around 9 mil a year each. so for one Jamal Adams you could have had 2 guys who won a lot more games.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

First round should ideally be about helping Wilson or pass rush. Ideally no deviating from those two ideas - i.e. no back seven guys. I think they could make one exception, though ideally they wouldn't, but not two. And if they're going to make an exception I think it'd be more likely to be a guy who plays closer to the ball, i.e. linebacker.

The back seven absolutely needs work, but offensive supporting cast and pass rush definitely do too and right now they're just more important - short term to improve the team and long-term based on the way football is being played right now. It's about scoring and impacting the quarterback defensively and pass rush is just the best way to do it.

I also think philosophically they feel they can find back seven guys who fit later in the draft. I'd disagree with the concept if they were drafting guys who weren't athletic on day three, but guys like Echols and Carter can run, Sherwood and Nasirildeen are fluid for linebackers.

The idea needs some refining and I don't think they can completely overhaul the back seven on day three, but even a second or third round linebacker would be a huge step in the right direction. And I think they can find useful players and tread water until they actually have enough offensive talent to support a young quarterback's development and a legitimate pass rush and not need to add too many back seven pieces once that's accomplished - just do it opportunistically.

I think that's the plan, at least, and it does make sense to me.

• Upvote 2

If Douglas feels they’re the two best players when we pick, why not?

This roster needs help in a lot of areas, and the important thing right now is hitting on as many picks as we can. No two players, regardless of position are going to turn things around by themselves, but we need to add ones with above average talent. If it’s a S and a CB, that’s okay.

9 minutes ago, derp said:

First round should ideally be about helping Wilson or pass rush. Ideally no deviating from those two ideas - i.e. no back seven guys. I think they could make one exception, though ideally they wouldn't, but not two. And if they're going to make an exception I think it'd be more likely to be a guy who plays closer to the ball, i.e. linebacker.

The back seven absolutely needs work, but offensive supporting cast and pass rush definitely do too and right now they're just more important - short term to improve the team and long-term based on the way football is being played right now. It's about scoring and impacting the quarterback defensively and pass rush is just the best way to do it.

I also think philosophically they feel they can find back seven guys who fit later in the draft. I'd disagree with the concept if they were drafting guys who weren't athletic on day three, but guys like Echols and Carter can run, Sherwood and Nasirildeen are fluid for linebackers.

The idea needs some refining and I don't think they can completely overhaul the back seven on day three, but even a second or third round linebacker would be a huge step in the right direction. And I think they can find useful players and tread water until they actually have enough offensive talent to support a young quarterback's development and a legitimate pass rush and not need to add too many back seven pieces once that's accomplished - just do it opportunistically.

Sherwood runs like Prince Edward crapped his pants 4.74. Take an edge who can

run and bend like Ojabo, and fix the interior of our DL by telling meanderes Williams

Fartokasi to take a flying hike

• Post of the Week 1

Without a trade back, I'd look hard at the edge rushers and maybe Devin Lloyd with one of the firsts.  Then load up on more offense whether with a WR or OL with the other first.  Identify the best TE in the draft and get him with one of the seconds or the third rounder.  Which ever did didn't get addressed with the other first (WR or OL) gets addressed with the other second or third.  We need more offense to compete in this league and that starts with getting more talent and depth for Zach to grow.  Yes, the Jets needs to add some youth and energy to the defense with a couple of premium assets but the offense still has the priority IMO.  Lastly, Coach Saleh needs to coach his ass off.

i like sauce and you need a matchup winner in the pass game and i think he played at very high level v Alabama. not sure if he’s #4 level, but theres good OL talent in mid round, and i think u can trade pick 10 ( prob not 4) for a qb hungry team, still get an OL and extra top 50 pick with that maybe add a nice TE or trade back into R1 for a target playmaker or edge.

10 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Sherwood runs like Prince Edward crapped his pants 4.74. Take an edge who can

run and bend like Ojabo, and fix the interior of our DL by telling meanderes Williams

Fartokasi to take a flying hike

Ergo why I said fluid and not fast for linebackers but thanks for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Shelbyblue said:

Sounds crazy but Kyle Hamilton with his size and range along with a lockdown corner with the size of Gardener oh boy!. We have to defend against Diggs and Waddle who torch this defense, can this be the difference?

Love both players but really dislike them as fits for the Jets given the current state of our team.

If the Jets had an excellent front 7 on D, if they had an elite weapon or two on offense (no, Elijah Moore isn't that... yet) then I might be onboard with taking a guy like Sauce Gardner at #10.

IMO drafting those guys would be like picking out living room furniture for a house that isn't built yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think you are missing the point, draft value wise, that position should not be drafted in the top 10…ever. There are far better ways to use premium draft capital and still get a productive player at that position & if they don’t and it gets put on the back burner for next year’s offseason needs, it doesn’t hurt that bad because it’s the safety position.

Yeah, I would never draft Ed Reed that high.

It all depends on the specific draftee.

agreed - seems like how kansas city built current team - build build build offense and then the defense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

would be the exact opposite of everything JD has done with the secondary up to this point.

Not only is it unlikely for that reason alone, it’s unlikely because it’s simply the wrong thing to do.

I’d like to see them take care of the Defense in FA more than anything & then continue to prioritize offense in the draft. The Defense will benefit more from some added veteran presence, as will the Offense from another injection of youth. Obviously this was the youngest roster in the league last year, so they’re green on both sides , but I think it does more for the O than D in this case.

Stop stealing my material lol...