Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

So a cap hit of just 4.078M in 2022, with a 8.228M cap hit in 23. He can be cut in 23 for 5M in savings (he'd leave 3.228M in dead money between the prorated bonus and the 500K guarantee). Interesting deal, since it gives the Jets a decision to make next year if Berrios doesn't take a step up. This is basically a deal that screams to be renegotiated after this year; if Berrios grows, he's going to get extended (and have his 2023 cap hit reduced). If he doesn't, he'll be asked to take a paycut, and cut if he doesn't.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

A Jones/Matthieu combo would be awesome

Two quality veterans added to the defense who are still playing at a very high level.

I don’t even care if Jones is 32. He’s still more than capable of putting up 15 sacks in a season.

Not singling you out - certainly others feel this way - but let's be careful with signing a bunch of 30+ year olds.  Most people criticize Maccagnan for his 2015 free agent bacchanal that set the team back until... well... now, but the real problem was that he loaded the team with older players that provided a surge for one season, then all tailed off at the same time a year later, leaving us with a top-heavy roster where the best players were declining and a cap problem.

I'm all in on peppering guys in like Tomlinson, even though he's over 30, but to add a bunch of expensive older guys like Jones, Matthieu, and JC Tretter on top of him and an aging, expensive Mosley (who I know is not JD's fault), would give me some scary Big Mac flashbacks.

Let's continue to go after the DJ Reeds and not the Gilmores.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Not singling you out - certainly others feel this way - but let's be careful with signing a bunch of 30+ year olds.  Most people criticize Maccagnan for his 2015 free agent bacchanal that set the team back until... well... now, but the real problem was that he loaded the team with older players that provided a surge for one season, then all tailed off at the same time a year later, leaving us with a top-heavy roster where the best players were declining and a cap problem.

I'm all in on peppering guys in like Tomlinson, even though he's over 30, but to add a bunch of expensive older guys like Jones, Matthieu, and JC Tretter on top of him and an aging, expensive Mosley (who I know is not JD's fault), would give me some scary Big Mac flashbacks.

seems like the right path

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Meh - Jones and Matthieu could both be good signings on two year type deals.

Neither would stop us from drafting their replacement aggressively, but would also bring in much needed talent at their positions.

The SOJ move would be 4 year type deals for these guys.  Short term is just fine.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think, for the Jets, the most saleable feature is that he’s a yes sir/no sir kid from a military family.

I absolutely think that’s a selling point. I also think the best teams they had were after Mangini picked those kinds of guys. And instead of a linebacker who’s got the athletic ability of a defensive tackle but he hunts wild boar, Travon Walker’s athletic comparison would be an edge rusher who went #1 overall a few years ago and has been very good in the NFL.

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

Fact that the Jets were going to bid heavily for Mike Williams isn't lost on me. Drake London is the collegian version of 2021 Mike Williams in the sense that both are 6'4 215 and can win both after the catch and in contested situations 

Except Mike Williams is a big play receiver and the next explosive downfield play London made in college was going to be the first. Straight possession guy. 

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Between paying this kid $11 million a year, Hall pretty much establishing himself as a solid #2, MCII looking like a quality nickel, and the investment we’ve made in young guys like Echols and Dunn who have flashed…

Seems like a long shot to me. I wouldn’t rule it out completely, but I doubt they go in that direction now.

I don't think the team is quite as high on MCII and Hall as people on this board. If Gardner is available, he's going to be a considerable upgrade over anyone the Jets have on the roster now (except for Reed). 

• Sympathy 2