Mariotta to Falcons... 2 year deal

Falcons Agree To Two-Year Deal With Marcus Mariota | Fantasy News (rotoballer.com)

The Atlanta Falcons agreed to an undisclosed two-year deal with free-agent quarterback Marcus Mariota on Monday. Atlanta moved quickly to secure their next QB after trading Matt Ryan to the Indianapolis Colts on Monday. Mariota, who spent the last two seasons backup up Derek Carr for the Las Vegas Raiders, will reunite with head coach Arthur Smith in Atlanta. The 28-year-old figures to be a short-term stopgap under center until the Falcons find their next franchise quarterback. Mariota has completed 62.8% of his 1,795 career attempts over seven NFL seasons, and he doesn't have many weapons to work with outside of tight end Kyle Pitts and running back/wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. He can make plays with his legs, but Mariota shouldn't be much more than a low-end QB2 as a starter once again.--Keith Hernandez - RotoBaller
Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapopor

mariota was a decent qb coming out of college.  so much depends on where these guys land when drafted.  sure he got beat out by tannehill but it took tannehill quite a few seasons to not be a punk.  plus he's largely successful on henry's legs.  the titans don't win if they have to rely only on tannehill.

we'll see.  it's good to see matty ice go elsewhere and it's good to see mariota get another shot.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Isn’t Arthur Smith the one who resurrected Tannehill? This is a good pairing. 

I could be wrong about this timeline but Smith had Mariota his first season in Tenn.  He originally started above Tannehill and they started 2-4.  Not sure if it was benching or injury but I thought it was a benching for Tannehill who came in and led them to the AFC Champ game from there, immediately got rid of Mariota next season.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Bring in a vet, then draft a rookie QB?

morons !

4 D chess expert JD knows what’s up…

Draft a rookie, have a cheap scrub backup 

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Mariota career rating 89, rookie rating 91

Sack Wilson 69

Literally the best two post you have ever put together. If the Jets could  have brought Wilson in while they had a solid vet starting we likely could have skipped that 69 rating first season. If Sack didn’t start till game 9 I think he would have faired much better as well as the offense itself. Again, how anyone could  have looked at this kid from BYU and thought they could toss him in while installing a new offense and developing a zone blocking scheme is beyond me. For the first time, I may add! 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I could be wrong about this timeline but Smith had Mariota his first season in Tenn.  He originally started above Tannehill and they started 2-4.  Not sure if it was benching or injury but I thought it was a benching for Tannehill who came in and led them to the AFC Champ game from there, immediately got rid of Mariota next season.

I remember thinking Mariota was a mush coming out of college. I called him “The Hawaiian Matt Ryan.” Maybe he has some hair on his chest now that he’s bounced around a little bit? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Literally the best two post you have ever put together. If the Jets could  have brought Wilson in while they had a solid vet starting we likely could have skipped that 69 rating first season. If Sack didn’t start till game 9 I think he would have faired much better as well as the offense itself. Again, how anyone could  have looked at this kid from BYU and thought they could toss him in while installing a new offense and developing a zone blocking scheme is beyond me. For the first time, I may add! 

Debatable. 

Zach played well in camp and the preseason. 

They would have won some more games but now the new QB had less reps and the picks are worse.  Plus, no playoffs anyway. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Debatable. 

Zach played well in camp and the preseason. 

They would have won some more games but now the new QB had less reps and the picks are worse.  Plus, no playoffs anyway. 

No it’s really not. Odd thing is, this is not a knock on Zach, it’s a knock  on how these numbskulls managed him. Kid showed up with all the potential in the world but was going from BYU to the damn NFL! 

Zach actually was struggling here and there in camp at one time he literally admitted it, saying it was because he was “trying to see if he could make throws.” That is all fine, it was on the coaches to see that ahead of time. 

Reps? I know that’s kind of the thing everyone wants to say but did it really help him? Getting clobbered in the beginning and literally getting injured before he had to watch everyone else operate  the offense at a pretty capable level?  Did he come back from injury with a better grasp than he left? Yes, he did. So….. why do you think it was a good idea to let him have to get hurt in order to watch how to run the offense during an actual NFL game? That is neither debatable or remotely sane honestly. 

Kid could be great, but the coaching staff 100% mishandled him from the get go. 

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Mariota exactly zero Super Bowls.
Flacco exactly one Super Bowl MVP

D o. T h e. M a t h.

Ok and everyone knows I’m a huge Flacco fan who was banging the table for him on draft day. Yet, the decade between these two entering the league is a modest factor. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I remember thinking Mariota was a mush coming out of college. I called him “The Hawaiian Matt Ryan.” Maybe he has some hair on his chest now that he’s bounced around a little bit? 

Didn't the Raiders use him as a gadget player?  

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Isn’t Arthur Smith the one who resurrected Tannehill? This is a good pairing. 

agree. Its great for Mariota in fantasy. Its like winston few years back with Bucs.

Falsons will be playing catchup all year. Mariota will have 4 pts at halftime then end up with 30+ fantasy points as he throws against a prevent D to pitts/patterson as Falcons are 3 scores down.

This could just be a salary dump by Atlanta who figures they could be losing with or without Ryan for next two years. Mariota got a 2 year deal worth 18.75 from Atlanta and Ryan was due around 50 for next two seasons. The assumption is Atlanta is going to draft a Qb this year and it gives him 2 years to develop with probably Mariota as the starter unless new Qb wins the job. It’s also possible that Marcus could get another chance to be a starter and improves to be the Qb the league originally thought he’d be. But on the surface Matty Ice is the much better player. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

This could just be a salary dump by Atlanta who figures they could be losing with or without Ryan for next two years. Mariota got a 2 year deal worth 18.75 from Atlanta and Ryan was due around 50 for next two seasons. The assumption is Atlanta is going to draft a Qb this year and it gives him 2 years to develop with probably Mariota as the starter unless new Qb wins the job. It’s also possible that Marcus could get another chance to be a starter and improves to be the Qb the league originally thought he’d be. But on the surface Matty Ice is the much better player. 

exactly right. I have Mariota on my fantasy team and love this and if he does well he moves on in 2 years if Falcons draft a stud QB or the drafted QB if not a stud stays as backup if Mariota make sthe most of his 2nd chance

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mariota exactly zero Super Bowls.
Flacco exactly one Super Bowl MVP

D o. T h e. M a t h.

Disagree. I really wanted Mariota as our backup QB.

Young and exciting QB that can beat you with his legs > a 38 year old has been.

Can easily see him Mariota resurrecting his career. Wouldn've been a nice insurance policy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Disagree. I really wanted Mariota as our backup QB.

Young and exciting QB that can beat you with his legs > a 38 year old has been.

Can easily see him Mariota resurrecting his career. Wouldn've been a nice insurance policy.

I don't see it ..never liked Mariota's game ... was based so much on the college look at the sidelines offense. To each there own I guess.

Edited by Dunnie

On 3/22/2022 at 7:31 AM, The Crusher said:

Why continue to call is "sack" and continue the attacks on the kid if you understand the situation he was put in and acknowledge if he didn't have a Sieve of OL the first three weeks, or didn't have his top 3 WR's on IR the last 5 weeks of the season....

What he would have looked like.  

He was clearly raw, clearly had plenty of bad ..and absolutely should not have started with what the Jets were putting out there - along with that new system - particularly the OL learning zone blocking....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why continue to call is "sack" and continue the attacks on the kid if you understand the situation he was put in and acknowledge if he didn't have a Sieve of OL the first three weeks, or didn't have his top 3 WR's on IR the last 5 weeks of the season....

He was clearly raw, clearly had plenty of bad ..and absolutely should not have started with what the Jets were putting out there - along with that new system - particularly the OL learning zone blocking....

I was assuming it was an endearing name for him due so to his testicular fortitude, no? 

• Haha 1

You keep wanting to point at the line, you do realize the line played substantially better when Zach was out right? You do realize it is incumbent on the QB to recognize a defense, identify the Mike, and adjust the blocking accordingly or at least know where his hot read is? You’re partially right, he absolutely should not have started but not because of the OL. He shouldn’t have started because he was completely unqualified to be a starter in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 3/22/2022 at 8:20 AM, The Crusher said:

Kid could be great, but the coaching staff 100% mishandled him from the get go. 

Fans and the Modern NFL absolutely hate the concept, but some QB's really do need to sit a year or two and learn.

But no one lets them anymore.  

• Upvote 2