Where do you rate the Jets WR Room as of Today?

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I also presume our GM, like all GMs has a plan.  One that fans arent privy to.

No I came here to comment that its too early to complain about the WR room.  That this isnt the room we will have in September 

While this is assuredly true - if it's what we have now, pick at #10 (or lower) and a Cole like JAG....

It's a big miss for Douglas...

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Is the season starting today and did the cancel the draft?

Who cares about the WR room look in March 

what the wr room looks like in March 100% dictates our draft needs in April

If the jets got juju cooper or hill for example they would not have a big need to draft a wr high in the draft.

The jets have lots of holes best to address as many as you can without impacting our draft capital especially when there  a chance joe might draft the next mims becton perrine morgan Zunica etc....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

A few of those are debatable, but this is probably pretty close. 

Clearly, we are at or near the bottom 3rd of the league, IMO. 

We need at least one more impact WR. That's the bottom line to me. 

Agreed. But the TE group pushes us up a bit. Still need two WR's whether through the draft or FA. I may be insane, but I think Mims will be serviceable this year and show some flashes. It would sure help.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Davis #1

Moore #2

Berrios #3

Mims #4

And some hang-around-camp type guys after that for the most part.

We (as a population) seem split on WR in the first this draft, or in some cases, at all.

In FA we keep getting reported as "interested" in name guys but have not signed anyone of consequence.

So as of today, knowing the Draft is still to come, where would you rank the Jets WR Room in terms of the NFL?

Or put differently, how many WR rooms do you think are worse, today, than the Jets?

With Zach does it matter?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While this is assuredly true - if it's what we have now, pick at #10 (or lower) and a Cole like JAG....

It's a big miss for Douglas...

We're not playing football today.  I dont get the confusion. 

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

With Zach does it matter?

Yes, perhaps more than it might for other more established/veteran QB's.

Some of us may have doubts about Wilson, but the best way forward is to give him every possible chance to succeed, to prove his doubters wrong.  That starts with giving him as much talent to support him as is possible.

And if he fails, we will have a talented Offense built to support whomever the next guy is.  A win/win.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

what the wr room looks like in March 100% dictates our draft needs in April

If the jets got juju cooper or hill for example they would not have a big need to draft a wr high in the draft.

The jets have lots of holes best to address as many as you can without impacting our draft capital especially when there  a chance joe might draft the next mims becton perrine morgan Zunica etc....

No kidding.  Just the same reason we all have been discussing where we will pick a WR and which WR.

Or maybe trade for one we're interested

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not playing football today.  I dont get the confusion. 

No confusion.  No sarcasm.

Just looking at the future.  I think it's okay to look at what might be...

I mean you understand there will be a time when we are playing football, right?

And at the point the Jets will have a complete group of WR's, right?

What I'm saying is - if it's what we have now, plus a high draft pick and a jag - it's a miss by Douglas.  It would be a bad job.

I'm not asking to fire Douglas, I'm not even saying he's done a bad job yet (I like Douglas)

There's plenty of time before the season starts to make a big move - I'm sure he's looking for it.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the logic, but I don't think it is necessarily the case.  They keep talking about playmakers.  Hill is certainly up there as a playmaker.  He may have seen this as the unique opportunity it was.  I guess they know they need monsters, but might not care that much to upgrade from to a guy like Woods who would still be a huge upgrade.  

I've read this 5 times and still dont know what you're trying to say.  Monsters?  Playmakers?  Woods?  Huge upgrades they dont care about? Huh?  

I think what you're trying to say is Hill is like an ultra-elite player make so they tried to capitalize on a unique situation vs. actually out there shopping picks trying to find playmakers?  I guess I could see that but the guy has 2 top 10 picks, he has to be fielding calls. 

That said, adding WR/FA isnt necessarily upgrading, it's adding to a pretty empty cupboard, no?  They're thin.  Even if the vet was Keelan Cole, I see that type of move happening and I definitely see them going WR within the first 4 picks.  I just dont see them adding only a rookie and going into the season confident with that type of WR core.  He needs some type of proven commodity, I would assume because you cant rely on the rookie hitting the ground running and/or Mims suddenly pulling his head out of his ass. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Great. Then the Jets head into the season drafting a 'high upside WR' from the draft, who of course needs time to work through rookie growing pains as he inevitably gets used to the NFL. What could go wrong

You know, instead of a group of players lifting our #2 pick up, the opposite could (and should) happen.

If Moore is good (as we’ve seen) and Zach is good (as we haven’t seen but have been told) we could already have our next Tyreek Hill.  Davis, Berrios, a high pick and possibly another in middle rounds will be fine.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No confusion.  No sarcasm.

Just looking at the future.  I think it's okay to look at what might be...

I mean you understand there will be a time when we are playing football, right?

And at the point the Jets will have a complete group of WR's, right?

What I'm saying is - if it's what we have now, plus a high draft pick and a jag - it's a miss by Douglas.  It would be a bad job.

I'm not asking to fire Douglas, I'm not even saying he's done a bad job yet (I like Douglas)

There's plenty of time before the season starts to make a big move - I'm sure he's looking for it.

Not seeing the sarcasm or confusion.  Its March, we dont line up for 6 months, roughly half a year from now.  I dont care what the WR room looks life.  Here's the explanation.  If it looks like this in March, I dont care.  If it looks the same in September, I will care.  Big time.

Its not

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Not seeing the sarcasm or confusion.  Its March, we dont line up for 6 months, roughly half a year from now.  I dont care what the WR room looks life.  Here's the explanation.  If it looks like this in March, I dont care.  If it looks the same in September, I will care.  Big time.

Its not

So, to be clear.

On this Jets forum - You would not like me to speculate as to what the team MIGHT look like?  

I just want to make sure, as I just won't comment to you on things that are associated with looking forward.I 'll stick to things that are...

Fair enough, just want to make sure I understand is all.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I've read this 5 times and still dont know what you're trying to say.  Monsters?  Playmakers?  Woods?  Huge upgrades they dont care about? Huh?  

I think what you're trying to say is Hill is like an ultra-elite player make so they tried to capitalize on a unique situation vs. actually out there shopping picks trying to find playmakers?  I guess I could see that but the guy has 2 top 10 picks, he has to be fielding calls. 

That said, adding WR/FA isnt necessarily upgrading, it's adding to a pretty empty cupboard, no?  They're thin.  Even if the vet was Keelan Cole, I see that type of move happening and I definitely see them going WR within the first 4 picks.  I just dont see them adding only a rookie and going into the season confident with that type of WR core.  He needs some type of proven commodity, I would assume because you cant rely on the rookie hitting the ground running and/or Mims suddenly pulling his head out of his ass. 

Sorry for my lack of clarity, but I think you got it.   Trying to write 5 different things and run zoom meetings can certainly deteriorate my posting.  We know they need WR, I just don't know that they think it is as desperate as being that far in on this move might make it seem.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why does the WR room matter?

Or why does discussing it matter?

If it's the later, the answer is "because we're fans, the draft is coming in the near future, and discussing how bad or not bad our WR need is in that Draft" is a topic worthy of discussion IMO.

Why does it matter now. Thought that was obvious from how I framed the question.

Clearly Douglas' pursuit of Hill suggests he's still looking to upgrade it.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, to be clear.

On this Jets forum - You would not like me to speculate as to what the team MIGHT look like?  

I just want to make sure, as I just won't comment to you on things that are associated with looking forward.I 'll stick to things that are...

Fair enough, just want to make sure I understand is all.

You do realize theres a difference with speculation, as I am doing by saying the room will look different and being upset with the room today.

So theres that along with he snarky remark.

But hey, argue with the others who said exactly the same thing I did, have the same thoughts that it wont look like it does today in September 

This WR room is thin and uninspiring.   They are another Elijah Moore pulled hammy away from being flat out bad.   If they are only adding some rookie receivers then it’s going to be another long year, it may very well be anyway.   Opposing defensive coordinators will sleep sound and easy the week they play the Jets.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Ah, re-reading it I think I misunderstood what you were saying. 

Mea Culpa on that one, what sounded like "I want Ruggs" at first read is clearly NOT that at all on second reading.

My bad, 100%.

Haha all good man! Hell if he wasn't in jail I'd take him lol 

24 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why does it matter now. Thought that was obvious from how I framed the question.

Clearly Douglas' pursuit of Hill suggests he's still looking to upgrade it.

Which makes how it looks now (and the fact that we have four pages of talk about it in a few hours) a topic our fans clearly have interest in and would like to discuss.

It's the offseason.  The Draft is coming up.  There is interest in the WR position, how good we are there now, and where we could go from here.  Hence four pages of mostly on-topic and civil chat and counting. 

I'll suggest that if you, or others, truly don't think it matters, that opinion has been noted repeatedly now, we 100% have heard your objection, and you can feel free to move on to other topics here on March 23rd that you DO think "matters now". 

Of course, if you take the same tact you're taking here, tho, you may find very few topics to meet that criteria.  Doubly interesting to note that many of your recent posts are doing exactly what we're all doing here, speculating on the WR group and possible/future additions to it, lol.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agreed. But the TE group pushes us up a bit. Still need two WR's whether through the draft or FA. I may be insane, but I think Mims will be serviceable this year and show some flashes. It would sure help.

I’d love to believe in Mims, but I don’t. Would love to be proven wrong. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which makes how it looks now (and the fact that we have four pages of talk about it in a few hours) a topic our fans clearly have interest in and would like to discuss.

It's the offseason.  The Draft is coming up.  There is interest in the WR position, how good we are there now, and where we could go from here.  Hence four pages of mostly on-topic and civil chat and counting. 

I'll suggest that if you, or others, truly don't think it matters, that opinion has been noted repeatedly now, we 100% have heard your objection, and you can feel free to move on to other topics here on March 23rd that you DO think "matters now". 

Of course, if you take the same tact you're taking here, tho, you may find very few topics to meet that criteria.  Doubly interesting to note that many of your recent posts are doing exactly what we're all doing here, speculating on the WR group and possible/future additions to it, lol.

To each their own. 

A thread asking you to rate the WR room is tacitly complaining about an unfinished product. Feels pointless and disingenuous to me.

• Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This WR room is thin and uninspiring.   They are another Elijah Moore pulled hammy away from being flat out bad.   If they are only adding some rookie receivers then it’s going to be another long year, it may very well be anyway.   Opposing defensive coordinators will sleep sound and easy the week they play the Jets.  

As of now, only way I see this team have any consistent offensive success is on the back of the running game.  Our OL should be good, maybe even very good if Becton comes back healthy and looks like the guy who flashed in 2020.  Our skill positions are just not dynamic enough to scare anyone, and the RB room is average at best. 

Moore and Carter should both be better with a year's NFL experience, but both guys missed time last year.  We need 17 games from both.  The rest of the cast, who knows.  TEs are better than we have seen in a decade, but the WR group could go either way.  And the RBs behind Carter -- Coleman, Johnson, Perine, Walter -- yuck.   Team is better today than the beginning of March, still a lot of work to be done.

Even though the Hill deal didn't work out today, I still think there is better than a 50% chance we have added an above average veteran NFL WR between now and the draft.  At least that is what I am telling myself.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

That WR room is not gonna cut it, period. Bottom tier. 

Our QB had the highest % of dropped passes in the NFL last year, and our current WR room is the same but even more stripped down. How is this not terrifying?

I'm not sure how people don't see this as a major problem.  They think bc they can draft someone at 4 or 10 that all of the problems will be solved. The hit rate on 1st round WR's becoming #1 type WR's is finite. Yet they act like it's a sure thing.  The green colored glasses are out in full affect. 

WR room is incomplete.  I would expect some kind of veteran signing addition.  And my hope would be for a London-Wilson-Jameson Williams type player picked in the draft. 

That's my wish. 

In reality...all I can ask from JD...is for him to draft the best WR on his board.  ZW needs help...he only threw 9 TD passes.  Therefore...nothing less then JD's best receiver from this draft...to be in a Jets uniform. 

Por favor. 

Getting an established vet would have been ideal.

The Jets are going to have to do their homework and find someone in the draft.  They have 3 guys that can play if they can stay on the field.

I really think they have to draft 2 WR's.  Mims is a mess,  can he revive his career? If he does, The Jets only have him for this year and next.

The rest of the room are castaways.

At this point, you have to bring Cole back on a one-year deal and Draft 2.

One in the first 2 rounds and one in the 4th or 5th.

Jets current WRs are better than anything Geno or Darnold had to work with during their times as Jets…. Don’t ever remember seeing this level of panic.  Side note: ARob isn’t the answer and didn’t help Fields out last year; Robert Woods, Tyreek, Devante were player driven decisions - not misses.  Ridley wasn’t an option.  Cooper is the only one we can quibble about… and he hasn’t exactly been dominant.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

To each their own. 

A thread asking you to rate the WR room is tacitly complaining about an unfinished product. Feels pointless and disingenuous to me.

A thread asking to rate a unit as it exists now is a method of evaluating how we feel about the unit as it exists now, with the draft and camp cuts still ahead of us to foster conversation.  

Someone as deeply desperate to trade for Hill today as yourself sounds like a serious hypocrite complaining about this thread. 

Clearly and unquestionably, YOU wanted to add to this group yourself, a not-even-close-to-tacit complaint about this unfinished product.  Why is your pining for Hill different? 

Right, it isn't.  You just skipped the "evaluate what we have" and went strait to "trade all the things for Hill".

So while you may have refused to engage in this thread, you clearly and unquestionably do not rank our existing unit very high and feel it needs more.

But instead of just saying that, you had to be a dick about it.

As you said, to each their own.  

We need to build our WR unit -- that is unquestionable. How we do it, is open to debate. I would love to add a veteran receiver of at least above average capability immediately. In the absence of that, we should draft two, with one being the best receiver in this draft. And I would add a solid RB and mid-level TE to the mix as well. 

• Upvote 1

The Bills built around Josh Allen the right way…in his second season his wide receivers were Cole Beasley, John Brown, and Isaiah McKenzie… we are already better than that heading into 2022 season with likely more improvement.

• Upvote 2

The Jets currently have 2 receivers that are reasonably capable of putting up 1,000 yds in a good offense in Elijah Moore and Corey Davis.  Neither is a proven superstar WR1 but we’ve seen worse.  Davis would have hit around 1,000 yds and 7-8 touchdowns despite having a season many hated.  The second half of Elijah season was also on pace for 1,000 yards as well once the o-line and qb play improved.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Is the season starting today and did the cancel the draft?

Who cares about the WR room look in March 

I felt the same way… in February.

The question then was “who cares what the WR room looks like right now? We have FA and the draft.”

Well we’ve missed out on some pretty nice opportunities to upgrade that room the last couple of weeks. I hate putting our hopes in a rookie again, especially when Moore (as good as he looked at times) and Zach are still so wet behind the ears.

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I felt the same way… in February.

The question then was “who cares what the WR room looks like right now? We have FA and the draft.”

Well we’ve missed out on some pretty nice opportunities to upgrade that room the last couple of weeks. I hate putting our hopes in a rookie again, especially when Moore (as good as he looked at times) and Zach are still so wet behind the ears.

Apparently the Jets dont agree with you.  They also know there still is a draft and that they'll have a number of choices.  If they like the idea of picking one of a few in the the draft, are already set on one of those, as opposed to spending picks, cash or both on a WR who knows.

The point still stands, we're 6 months away from the start of the season.  We have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft.  Im not bitching about the WR room because we didnt get Hill like some