Carolina “forced” to take a QB at 6

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

your logic is flawed from your big Gase boner.

We say Sam got ruined because his play actually regressed from his rookie season where he showed great instinct and playmaking ability as a rookie - well at least above average rookie qb play with very limited off weapons and the most baisc of off game planning to being absolutely terrible under Gase where he was running for his life and had even worse game plans lacking even the most basic concept of winning. Under bowls he was ok if not better than expected. Your comps are not really comps they are as you put just put arguable the worst/bad Qb's. Hell Sanchez who had the most success of them all and was just our Rex Grossman, the team pulled him to line and he just let the team down when it mattered, sorry not sorry.

Tanny sucked under gase because of gase, so would have bree's. Darnold still showed from time to time plays that were good when he was able to go off script. Sorry you just repeating your own version of history with sam will not change the fact that he great potential and his poor play and decision making was direct result of getting the crap beat out of him over and over and never getting adequate coaching to develop, in fairness no one on the team had any adequate coaching so it was not just him, but he regressed and everything learned under gase was detrimental to Danold. THen influx tons of talent on the panthers and the game plan got him through a few game but his learned bad habits and technique showed, thus dooming his career and showing he was ruined. 

You're confusing me with someone who ever had anything good to say about Gase, from his first day to his last. 

So this is all for nothing. Gase sucked. Darnold sucked with Gase and Darnold sucks without Gase.

Your Tannehill & Brees examples prove my point more than yours: they were good after initial difficulties; they weren't "ruined" and their other success shows it. The "permanently ruined" stamp is a fantasy meant to absolve one from being wrong in the first place.

Just let him - or more accurately, the false idea of him - go. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

tl;dr version:  Sam Darnold was a bad QB on a bad team.  

@BornJetsFan1983 

An easy opinion to have if you never played sports or have an understanding of what playing sports or something similar is like on a competitive level. . Its nuanced and not as simple as well he sucks and sucked on a suckky team. Cause he didn't suck as rookie, and many pages are dedicated laying out the case and the circumstances that led to where he is. You just ignoring it facts doesn't change that he was ruined and his career is going nowwhere. At least he got paid though and thankfully we are not on the hook for it. 

Hope Sam ends up doing something good with his life. He def won the NFL sweepstakes with that Panther trade. I have always thought Joe did that because he endured the time with Gase and never bad mouthed the team. Joe didn't ahve to do that and probably had to work on that sell job to make it happy. Classy move buy the jets to help him out after trashing his career.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam Darnold was the 32nd ranked QB his rookie year.  

Hi Josh Rosen..I mean this is as lazy argument as you can get, no context what so ever. Aside from just being outright wrong, he also played fewer game and had more wins than others...anyway links below. Have fun. Even the slightest experience with sports would help you understand how players can be ruined at a competitive level. Why coaching and game plan are so important to decision making and how a QB it is very important to develop and not regress. Jets ruined him, plain and simple. Sorry Jetfan80 you just are completely wrong. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-patrick-mahomes-leads-year-end-rankings-0ap3000001007337

https://www.ibtimes.com/days-our-lives-spoilers-how-will-jj-jennifer-handle-jacks-return-2747036

Much like your arguemnt you are wrong.  More? https://www.nfl.com/standings/league/2018/reg

anyway it just silly. even the slightest experience with sports would help you understand how players can be ruined at a competitive level. 

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Can anyone explain why this isnt the easiest decision in the world for carolina?

They have enough cap space to absorb Bakers contract.  Cleveland would be sending him to the NFC (not that it really matters but better then sending him to the steelers).  They would have no guaranteed money going to Darnold OR Baker after this year giving them some flexibility and they will be giving Baker a decent team around him.  They could draft a good OL at 6 and have a prett good shot at a real evaluation of Baker.  

Seems a hell of a lot smarter then taking Malki Willis (who I like) since he isnt ready to play.

I was being facetious.  Baker sucks and is a locker room virus

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're confusing me with someone who ever had anything good to say about Gase, from his first day to his last. 

So this is all for nothing. Gase sucked. Darnold sucked with Gase and Darnold sucks without Gase.

Your Tannehill & Brees examples prove my point more than yours: they were good after initial difficulties; they weren't "ruined" and their other success shows it. The "permanently ruined" stamp is a fantasy meant to absolve one from being wrong in the first place.

Just let him - or more accurately, the false idea of him - go. 

Doubling down huh? Logic was flaw originally and here again. Above in bold is right and not mutually exclusive to the argument.

Just cause Tanny when on and did good doesn't mean Sam would have too if he was good. Qbs get ruined and that happend to sam. Wish he could have over come it. At the end of the day the guys career was ruined in NY, lets not try to trash him cause it is easy, give him credit that he is due. He played well as a rook, don't pretend with this revisionist history that the lack of development and shell shock he got here didnt ruin him.

Hes not on the team, like you said let it go. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Doubling down huh? Logic was flaw originally and here again. Above in bold is right and not mutually exclusive to the argument.

Just cause Tanny when on and did good doesn't mean Sam would have too if he was good. Qbs get ruined and that happend to sam. Wish he could have over come it. At the end of the day the guys career was ruined in NY, lets not try to trash him cause it is easy, give him credit that he is due. He played well as a rook, don't pretend with this revisionist history that the lack of development and shell shock he got here didnt ruin him.

Hes not on the team, like you said let it go. 

Doubling down? Your very premise was based on me being some type of big Gase backer, so your "logic" is dead wrong there, too.

I'm fine letting him go. I only wish we'd done it sooner.

What's ridiculous is refusing to admit "I was wrong" without qualifying the statement by blaming others for your error. If you'd said "I was wrong," and left it at that, then that would be letting it go.

So more than being about Darnold himself is that I've been reading and hearing this "the Jets ruined him" stuff for so many years & it's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at a big disclaimer of, "It's not really my fault that I was wrong."

That's really what my original post was about. 

#logic or something

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Doubling down? Your very premise was based on me being some type of big Gase backer, so your "logic" is dead wrong there, too.

What's ridiculous is refusing to admit "I was wrong" without qualifying the statement by blaming others for your error. If you'd said "I was wrong," and left it at that, then that would be letting it go.

So more than being about Darnold himself is that I've been reading and hearing this "the Jets ruined him" stuff for so many years & it's nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at a big disclaimer of, "It's not really my fault that I was wrong."

#logic or something

Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson would have stunk here with Gase and those rosters.  And I liked Allen before the draft

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@genot @Pac @Nico @QB1 @neckdemon @Peace Frog @BornJetsFan1983 @philc  @Biggs @NYJ1 @rangerous @Thai Jet @YankeeJet22 and, I’m surprised to have discovered retroactively… @Barry McCockinner

i wouldn't exactly say i was apoplectic.  i will say that i thought darnold's performance was more because he didn't have a good supporting team rather than a lack of understanding of how the game should be played.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#logic or something

yeah you doubled down and now apparently are trying to make some sort of joke or attempt at humor with the hashtag logic. It might be easier to reread what I wrote than begging for me to re type it with your feigned ignorance . I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with the gase crack, but it was just a way to highlight the big missing part of the situation. I literally went on after that smart ass remark into explaining my position and why your position was wrong. Gase was the main reason Darnold was ruined and with your terrible examples included Tannehill, the Gase crack is all that more relevant.

I didn't mean to imply you were a big fan of his, I'm questioning the logic of your argument not your character. But this whole i don't understand what you mean comes off fake and the hashtag comes off worse. 

You can rationalize whatever you want about darnold but no where has anything been said by anyone or anything to explain the regression from good rook play putting it all together to what we got in NY and what CAR got. Nothing i have seen or read that would convince me or even the most gullible, that danrold sucked outright. Spare me the the fake rankings, out of context stats, or the results of Gase failed tutelage, the fact point to Darbold regressed and was unable to recover. He was a victim of circumstance. It literally happens at every position all over the NFL.

Darnolds ability and raw natural talent was wasted and ruined in NY. Look I was huge believer in Sam and it was hard to accept he couldn't over come in CAR, rise up and be the kid we all saw glimpses of,  but his instincts were shot, his development regressed and he could never make it back. Its sad but it proved with out a doubt coaching matters. There is a reason Gase is coaching HS ball. At the NFL level; he ruins careers.  

Let me just end by saying your logical fallacies are obvious as is your delusional take on Darbnold. The only reason I can think of why you would want to plant flag on the Darnold always sucked hill is if you had a personal issue with him (not likely) or if you have a Gase boner (more probable). 

For someone who self expresses as not a fan of Gase you sure want to avoid blaming him and his horrendous coaching ruining one of our first real chances of having a decent Qb.  

On 3/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, JTJet said:

It's funny people take things like this seriously lol.

Clearly they are trying to scare another team to jump them and take a QB in front of them, forcing a player they actually want to possibly slide to them. 

Or theyre telling the truth

The idea that anyone knows is the funny part, not that people take things like this seriously lol.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson would have stunk here with Gase and those rosters.  And I liked Allen before the draft

I hate this dumb as can be kind of logic

Says who, you?  Based on what, a dream?  

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  see the Jets as the team they will deal with. That woukd be that other NY team. 

They can go to the Giants and that leaves a team with an ability too jump over the Giants spot with a trade to the Jets. They'll trade with us all things equal other than chart numbers.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They can go to the Giants and that leaves a team with an ability too jump over the Giants spot with a trade to the Jets. They'll trade with is all things equal other than chart numbers.

I'm fairly sure JD likes a specific  player at 4 and it will take a 2023 first for him to.move down, even to 6. Honestly, after the first 3 or 4, the talent seems to drop off.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm fairly sure JD likes a specific  player at 4 and it will take a 2023 first for him to.move down, even to 6. Honestly, after the first 3 or 4, the talent seems to drop off.

Unless someone wants a QB and then logic goes out the window

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah you doubled down and now apparently are trying to make some sort of joke or attempt at humor with the hashtag logic. It might be easier to reread what I wrote than begging for me to re type it with your feigned ignorance . I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with the gase crack, but it was just a way to highlight the big missing part of the situation. I literally went on after that smart ass remark into explaining my position and why your position was wrong. Gase was the main reason Darnold was ruined and with your terrible examples included Tannehill, the Gase crack is all that more relevant.

I didn't mean to imply you were a big fan of his, I'm questioning the logic of your argument not your character. But this whole i don't understand what you mean comes off fake and the hashtag comes off worse. 

You can rationalize whatever you want about darnold but no where has anything been said by anyone or anything to explain the regression from good rook play putting it all together to what we got in NY and what CAR got. Nothing i have seen or read that would convince me or even the most gullible, that danrold sucked outright. Spare me the the fake rankings, out of context stats, or the results of Gase failed tutelage, the fact point to Darbold regressed and was unable to recover. He was a victim of circumstance. It literally happens at every position all over the NFL.

Darnolds ability and raw natural talent was wasted and ruined in NY. Look I was huge believer in Sam and it was hard to accept he couldn't over come in CAR, rise up and be the kid we all saw glimpses of,  but his instincts were shot, his development regressed and he could never make it back. Its sad but it proved with out a doubt coaching matters. There is a reason Gase is coaching HS ball. At the NFL level; he ruins careers.  

Let me just end by saying your logical fallacies are obvious as is your delusional take on Darbnold. The only reason I can think of why you would want to plant flag on the Darnold always sucked hill is if you had a personal issue with him (not likely) or if you have a Gase boner (more probable). 

For someone who self expresses as not a fan of Gase you sure want to avoid blaming him and his horrendous coaching ruining one of our first real chances of having a decent Qb.  

Darnold had an up and down rookie year that saw him finish strong, a pretty decent 2019 that, once again, saw him finish strong, and he crashed like a paper airplane in 2020.  If one bad year was enough to ruin him, then yeah, he always was going to bust.  There are plenty of talented and raw QBs that overcame far worse.

22 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

My issue with Darnold is for one reason only: he sucked while he played for the Jets.

See, Gase can suck and Darnold can suck. Darnold isn’t secretly good because Gase isn’t.

Darnold’s instincts weren’t “shot” — he never had them and never will. He can play well in occasional bursts because he’s a young athlete who can throw a football. But he won’t ever be a consistently good QB like Geno Smith won’t.

He’s just lousy. He doesn’t have good instincts for the game. He’s one of these guys who looks like he’s got it when you see a random throw here or there, but he cannot and will not ever do it consistently. He’s too easy to fool, too easy to figure out, too easy to fluster, etc. so long as there’s a competent defensive coaching staff overseeing competent defensive personnel, and especially the opponent isn’t getting shut down themselves. 

He isn’t Josh Allen - whom you referenced - just waiting for a magical situation. Allen had growing pains for his first 16 starts and since then has looked like a different QB. Everyone remembers Diggs coming to the team, but it’s easy to forget that before Diggs - once Sept of his 2nd season was behind him - he settled down just fine (17 TDs, 3 INTs from Oct through Dec); that was with John Brown as his #1 WR, and he’d just been dumped by two teams in his prior two seasons, failing to catch even half the passes thrown to him in either stint (not even close; 38% and 43%). He also had Cole Beasley in his 30s, who just got dumped for the slot receiver the Jets handed Darnold. That was the situation that somehow didn’t permanently ruin him; had that been Darnold’s top WR duo it’d have been used as yet another excuse of how his team ruined him and set him up for failre. Sure it only helped Allen when they added Diggs a year later, but not only had he started to turn a corner in year two, but Diggs also got better with Allen. Comparatively, no one gets noticeably better because of Darnold, while others get noticeably worse. 

I don’t know what you or anyone sees in him. 

Circling back to my original post, it’s ridiculous that somehow he had all these turnover filled games at USC but it was the Jets who ruined him. 

He was pre-ruined. A guy who can show a flash here & there, but there are a hundred other guys just like that who’ll never be anything. In terms of NFL prowess, he’s Trevor Siemian with a high draft pick pedigree. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, section314 said:

In a quiet moment, I wonder if Tepper is admitting buying this team was possibly his worst trade of his life.

I once bought the P90X DVDs for $99.99. It was really cool, I did it for about 3 months. Got tired of Tony Horton, but the girls in the background of some of the workouts were smoking hot. Lost a few pounds, but wound up with annoying shoulder tendinitis for a while.

I still have it, it's sitting on a bookshelf, ready for the next time I decide to do an at home boot-camp style workout with my buddy Tony Horton. And in the meantime, people who come over and look at my bookshelf are like, "Hmm, dude does P90X, pretty cool"!

? 

LITERALLY the exact same thing in comparison. 

This is hilarious ...Darnold never regressed, he just never progressed. He still makes the same mistakes he made in college before he ever met that idiot we hired whose name I won't mention. Sam was just flat out overrated since that game against Penn state. He regressed the following year but rode the wave of his reputation. He is a linebacker that never got good enough to at qb at this level. In fact he wasn't good his rookie year either despite all the people here who wet their pants over him. To this day I still say that "leg injury" stunt was nothing more than an excuse to pull him without embarrassing him. It gave him time to take a breather because he was overwhelmed. That's why he played marginally better upon his return. He just got a chance to catch his breath but that never meant he was ever good enough to play qb in the NFL.

You can't fake it here, flaws get exposed.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This is hilarious emoji23.png...Darnold never regressed, he just never progressed. He still makes the same mistakes he made in college before he ever met that idiot we hired whose name I won't mention. Sam was just flat out overrated since that game against Penn state. He regressed the following year but rode the wave of his reputation. He is a linebacker that never got good enough to at qb at this level. In fact he wasn't good his rookie year either despite all the people here who wet their pants over him. To this day I still say that "leg injury" stunt was nothing more than an excuse to pull him without embarrassing him. It gave him time to take a breather because he was overwhelmed. That's why he played marginally better upon his return. He just got a chance to catch his breath but that never meant he was ever good enough to play qb in the NFL.

• Geno Smith had a perfect game once.
  • Mark Sanchez once threw 4 TDs in a game (though he looked like he didn’t belong in the NFL for most of that game, he did throw 4 TDs). He had a bunch of very good games, too.
  • Kellen Clemens once shredded a top 10 defense with 247 yds on 9 completions and then beat on a top-5 D a few weeks later. 
  • Darnold more than held his own in a shootout with Rodgers, with a better game than Rodgers, too (certainly through regulation). 
  • Fitzpatrick started his 2018 season with back to back throwing >400 yards & 4 TDs in each.

These guys are all athletes who can certainly throw a football, and even the worst of them could get red hot if you catch him at just the right moment.

It’s putting up good/great games consistently that makes a QB an asset, not teasing a fluke game or stretch now & then. They’re all professional athletes and even the bleh ones can get into a zone for a game or even a few games. 

Uncharacteristic hot streaks never last forever, and eventually they are what they are.

The Jets didn’t ruin Darnold. What a load of crap. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Darnold had an up and down rookie year that saw him finish strong, a pretty decent 2019 that, once again, saw him finish strong, and he crashed like a paper airplane in 2020.  If one bad year was enough to ruin him, then yeah, he always was going to bust.  There are plenty of talented and raw QBs that overcame far worse.

Very true I wouldn't argue against that really.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:
  • Geno Smith had a perfect game once.
  • Mark Sanchez once threw 4 TDs in a game (though he looked like he didn’t belong in the NFL for most of that game, he did throw 4 TDs). He had a bunch of very good games, too.
  • Kellen Clemens once shredded a top 10 defense with 247 yds on 9 completions and then beat on a top-5 D a few weeks later. 
  • Darnold more than held his own in a shootout with Rodgers, with a better game than Rodgers, too (certainly through regulation). 
  • Fitzpatrick started his 2018 season with back to back throwing >400 yards & 4 TDs in each.

These guys are all athletes who can certainly throw a football, and even the worst of them could get red hot if you catch him at just the right moment.

It’s putting up good/great games consistently that makes a QB an asset, not teasing a fluke game or stretch now & then. They’re all professional athletes and even the bleh ones can get into a zone for a game or even a few games. 

Uncharacteristic hot streaks never last forever, and eventually they are what they are.

The Jets didn’t ruin Darnold. What a load of crap. 

They did.

13 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

This is hilarious emoji23.png...Darnold never regressed, he just never progressed. He still makes the same mistakes he made in college before he ever met that idiot we hired whose name I won't mention. Sam was just flat out overrated since that game against Penn state. He regressed the following year but rode the wave of his reputation. He is a linebacker that never got good enough to at qb at this level. In fact he wasn't good his rookie year either despite all the people here who wet their pants over him. To this day I still say that "leg injury" stunt was nothing more than an excuse to pull him without embarrassing him. It gave him time to take a breather because he was overwhelmed. That's why he played marginally better upon his return. He just got a chance to catch his breath but that never meant he was ever good enough to play qb in the NFL.

• Upvote 1