Mekhi Becton Should Be Worried

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If I were Becton, I'd quit all social media because social media is f'ing stupid and the people on it are f'ing stupid, and just focus on being the best football player I could be.

Becton isn't the Zapruder Film.  Stop treating him like he is.

Tom Shane the Grassy Troll 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GangGreen Machine said:

As a Becton optimist, the last 1-2 months have had me worried. Becton should absolutely be worried that Neal or Icky will be drafted at #4 to replace him. 

Original Thought so take it with a grain of salt: 

If I were Becton, and I was making the progress I should be this off-season, I would be posting more dynamic workouts on my social media to elevate my job security and keep the media/staff off my back. I would be transparent and let folks know i am at or near ideal playing weight and ready to roll come OTA’s. 

If I were Becton, and I wasn’t making great progress, I would post triceps push downs and farmers carries on social media. I’d also not share my weight loss progress and  keep workout tape at a minimum to maintain some level of secrecy to help my job security. 

Am I missing something or are the crickets on rehab from Becton and the team just 2 weeks before the draft super concerning? 

...??

Job security has nothing to do with what he posts on social media.

If the Staff are on his back because he's not posting enough workouts on insta, the staff should be fired.

I don't know this for a fact, given that I'm not in the room, but I'm sure the staff and Becton are in constant communication, regardless of what you see on social media. If JD / Saleh have decided to replace him with a high round pick, that decision has already been made. Will have nothing to do with workout videos.

If they do decide to replace Becton, odds are Becton gets traded. If so, he'll go play elsewhere. Becton should be worried about getting to a proper playing weight if he wants to play professional football (assuming he's not already at that weight), but if the Jets move on, he will have other opportunities. And honestly, the way this fanbase has been treating the kid, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be just fine moving on.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Did I state that? "Folks" is being overly general, yes.

By that I mean id like to not hear from his nutritionist about being "under 400". Id like to hear form his Head Coach that he is going to be ready by spring training. Smoke and mirrors from the Jets with the draft coming up maybe? 

I'd like to hear nothing but BS from the coach and front office until after the draft. Why give any other clubs any inkling of how they will draft or trade before/during/after? Fans need no information at all from them until it's appropriate - after the wheeling and dealing is done with. How do you think Cleveland feels now after information leaked out of their building like a bullet riddled canoe to Mayfield (who then poisoned the trade atmosphere to their mutual disadvantage)? Now they have no trade partners who would give more than a 6th for Baker, if that - and he twists in the wind, which he doesn't like. It's good that Becton and the Jets organization have basically said zilch about Becton, Lawson, or anyone else.

26 minutes ago, DjHoldyHold said:

If Thibs (or some how Hutchinson) are not available at 4 I would love to take a tackle. It gives us Beckton insurance, makes him tradeable if we prefer the other tackle, and gives us Fant insurance 

You don't draft insurance at 4. You draft someone who plugs in as a starter at a position of need at 4 (and 10.) You draft insurance in rounds 3 and later, or sign other people's cuts during the preseason for that.

11 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I definitely panic any time a player isn't constantly and desperately seeking my approval in just the right way on social media because I am some kind of decisionmaker for the team.

My half baked thought went over like a fart in church.

speaking of that, this being Good Friday. I’d pray my fellow Jets fans could give me some grace in my manic, coffee induced post. 

to any of my fellow Catholics, I hope the fasting is going well today. I’ll be sure to stay off the start thread button until I’ve had some grub! 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

You don't draft insurance at 4. You draft someone who plugs in as a starter at a position of need at 4 (and 10.) You draft insurance in rounds 3 and later, or sign other people's cuts during the preseason for that.

Bung. If they sign Big George to an extension I would agree with your point and would not take an OL with # 4 pick For reasons I don’t understand as George played a serviceable RT in his first year and arguably had a Pro Bowl caliber season at LT. it does not seem like they are going to extend him. So I definitely would take Neal or Icky not as insurance but as a plug in starter for next season.
We are still waiting on Edoga who was drafted in the third round to become at the very least an average tackle who won’t get Zach killed. 
  On a different note I have a question

What veteran tackle is still out there who can be the Morgan Moses of 2022? Really don’t want to have Egoda or McDermott as our tackle depth for the season as that is a recipe for disaster 

1 hour ago, GangGreen Machine said:

As a Becton optimist, the last 1-2 months have had me worried. Becton should absolutely be worried that Neal or Icky will be drafted at #4 to replace him. 

If I were Becton, and I was making the progress I should be this off-season, I would be posting more dynamic workouts on my social media to elevate my job security and keep the media/staff off my back. I would be transparent and let folks know i am at or near ideal playing weight and ready to roll come OTA’s. 

If I were Becton, and I wasn’t making great progress, I would post triceps push downs and farmers carries on social media. I’d also not share my weight loss progress and  keep workout tape at a minimum to maintain some level of secrecy to help my job security. 

Am I missing something or are the crickets on rehab from Becton and the team just 2 weeks before the draft super concerning? 

Here We Go Dragon GIF by CBC

• Haha 3

Just now, GangGreen Machine said:

You are objecting to a wedding where the bride has already left the alter my friend, hahaha.

Please read through the thread its sort of entertaining for a Friday ?

Im saying this has been covered

Over and over again.

Hes not going anywhere right now

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DjHoldyHold said:

If Thibs (or some how Hutchinson) are not available at 4 I would love to take a tackle. It gives us Beckton insurance, makes him tradeable if we prefer the other tackle, and gives us Fant insurance 

I mean, if you take a tackle at 4, you are 100% trading Becton or Fant. 

Otherwise, that move makes absolutely no sense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I think Fant is the odd man out, if the Jets draft Icky. And if he is available that's what is going to happen.

I don't believe that for a second.  Fant  played very well towards the end of the season, and he has earned the right to compete for the left tackle starting job.  Now if the Jets traded Fant, I'm sure they could get a 6th round pick for him possibly, but I believe he is worth more to the Jets even as a backup for this year, than a 6th round pick.  

• Upvote 1

This fan base is bizarre.

Demands we sign scherff every year, who misses several games a year to injury.

Claims him to be the beast our line needs.

But we need to cut becton for missing 2 games his first year and getting a serious freak injury his second as unreliable because the timetable speculation wasn't to our liking.

It so bizarre.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't believe that for a second.  Fant  played very well towards the end of the season, and he has earned the right to compete for the left tackle starting job.  Now if the Jets traded Fant, I'm sure they could get a 6th round pick for him possibly, but I believe he is worth more to the Jets even as a backup for this year, than a 6th round pick.  

Fant was ordinary last year. He is nothing more than Beachum at LT. He will be the swing tackle if the Jets draft Icky.

8 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Can't say whether Becton is going to come out blazing good this year, but the fact is this year with him has been odd, to say the least. From him not being ready for OTAs, to him laughing off his conditioning last summer, to the comments from LaFleur, to him getting injured for most of the season, to the silly social media crap, to no one having confidence in him.

Why is it that Carl Lawson got injured for the whole season, but we aren't having huge discussions about him, his commitment, and whether he'll be ready to go. Carl might not be ready to go, or he might get hurt again, but we aren't worried because he is confident and we know the work ethic is there.

Contrast that to The Big Raincheck: We're not sure about the work ethic, even if he doesn't get hurt we don't know if he'll be in shape, and we don't even know if the dude likes football that much. The giant man with long-distant-runners-legs does not instill confidence.

I hope he's all in. I hope he works out, we need him to contribute some how. But who knows.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Web72 said:

If we draft IK or Neal I think it’s more a sign to replace Fant, an average T who is a FA after next season not to cut Becton 

Additionally, JD talks like he values the offensive line. I wouldn't be shocked to see an OT at 4 or 10 and then see Becton and Fant on the team through 2023-24 (or beyond). JD at least acts like he can't get enough beasts in the trenches.

6 hours ago, CSNY said:

Bung. If they sign Big George to an extension I would agree with your point and would not take an OL with # 4 pick For reasons I don’t understand as George played a serviceable RT in his first year and arguably had a Pro Bowl caliber season at LT. it does not seem like they are going to extend him. So I definitely would take Neal or Icky not as insurance but as a plug in starter for next season.
We are still waiting on Edoga who was drafted in the third round to become at the very least an average tackle who won’t get Zach killed. 
  On a different note I have a question

What veteran tackle is still out there who can be the Morgan Moses of 2022? Really don’t want to have Egoda or McDermott as our tackle depth for the season as that is a recipe for disaster 

No question some clarity is desirable with Fant and his contract, as well as Becton and his ability to stay on the field. If you pick the tackle in this coming draft, not the next one, every team the Jets contact to unload Fant or Becton will be bargaining hard and fair value probably won't be there.

I'm sure JD and his minions have a list of every tackle in the league, and might wait for some other team to draft a replacement - making that guy who'd being displaced (a la Moses last year) available as depth at a cheaper price. I'd be all for a tackle next year high up in the draft if the Becton/Fant thing doesn't work out going forward.

I don't think Edoga is going to get any better; McDermott is merely an emergency option. I certainly don't know nearly enough about the draft picks this year or next or the league rosters to know which guys are going to be cut based on drafted replacements and salary caps - theirs and ours. But somebody better will hopefully shake free after the draft and near the start of camp. Hopefully.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I swear to God I will stop rooting for this team if we draft an OT in the first round. No Fvkin Way

• Haha 1