Jets set to be dead last in dead cap

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not exactly a small achievement, either.  We were in the top 5 in dead cap every year from 2019-2021 thanks to Maccagnan.  We're finally rid of all those bad contracts 3 years after his firing.

Actually I take that part back.  We still have the CJ Mosley contract.  Almost forgot about that.

Thanks Macc.

• Upvote 1

I know I can "Google it," but what is dead cap? How does it affect a team or help a team?

A Google search found: "It is the total amount of money the player is promised to receive regardless of other factors. Even if the player is released before the entirety of their contract, they are still owed the total amount of guaranteed money agreed upon, regardless of how the rest of the agreement is structured."

But what does that mean? Cap space being eat up by guaranteed money of players not the team? 

8 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I know I can "Google it," but what is dead cap? How does it affect a team or help a team?

A Google search found: "It is the total amount of money the player is promised to receive regardless of other factors. Even if the player is released before the entirety of their contract, they are still owed the total amount of guaranteed money agreed upon, regardless of how the rest of the agreement is structured."

But what does that mean? Cap space being eat up by guaranteed money of players no on the team? 

Yes, its simply the amount of salary cap charges, both guaranteed salaries and signing bonuses, for players no longer on the roster. 

Spotrac has a good guide here:  https://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/nfl-dead-cap-101-718/

And from that site - "Shorter term contracts with front-loaded cash and smaller bonuses = less dead cap" - which has been JD's M.O. during his tenure here.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2022 marks the first season since 2018 that the Jets are NOT paying Trumaine Johnson.

Thanks Macc.

It goes to show you that 2015, while fun until week 17, was ultimately very damaging to the franchise. It bought Macc at least another year and probably two. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maccagnan's list of dead cap failure over the years:

• Le'Veon Bell:  $19.1M
  • Quincy Enunwa:  $15.7M
  • Trumaine Johnson:  $12M
  • Kelechi Osemele:  $10.2M
  • Leonard Williams:  $9.4M
  • Darrelle Revis:  $6M
  • Sam Darnold:  $5M
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick:  $5M
  • Avery Williamson:  $3.6M
  • Jamal Adams:  $3.6M
  • Marcus Gilchrist:  $2.8M
  • Isaiah Crowell:  $2.1M
  • Chris Herndon:  $1.6M
  • Darron Lee:  $1.4M
  • Jachai Polite:  $1.1M
  • Matt Forte:  $1M
  • Christian Hackenberg:  $795K
  • ArDarius Stewart:  $650K
  • Devin Smith $632K

Worst GM in NFL history, and it isn't close.

It’s like looking at actual sh*t 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Quincy Enunwa:  $15.7M
  • Devin Smith $632K

Kind of tough to blame Maccagnan for the dead cap on Williams, Darnold, Williamson, Adams, Herndon and Lee when their dead cap was the result of trades.  Lee was the only one that wasn't a clear win in trade value and was really just a get this guy out of here move.

Also kind of hard to call him the "Worst GM in NFL history, and it isn't even close." when it is at a minimum close as to whether he was the Jets worse GM in the 2000-teens.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Quincy Enunwa:  $15.5M
  • Devin Smith $632K

Joe Douglas turned that herpes infested list into two first round picks, a second round pick, 2 3rd round picks, 3 4th round picks, a 6th round pick and Bradley McDougald. One of those 4th rounders was sent in the Adams trade so maybe it should be 2 4th round picks instead of 3 but whatevs.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kind of tough to blame Maccagnan for the dead cap on Williams, Darnold, Williamson, Adams, Herndon and Lee when their dead cap was the result of trades.  Lee was the only one that wasn't a clear win in trade value and was really just a get this guy out of here move.

Also kind of hard to call him the "Worst GM in NFL history, and it isn't even close." when it is at a minimum close as to whether he was the Jets worse GM in the 2000-teens.

The mere fact that none of those players were worth getting to the ends of their contracts with the team that drafted them indeed pins it on Maccagnan.  They were awful draft picks and the Jets' haven't missed a single one of those players since they were traded or cut.  But even if you want to quibble at those, what are your thoughts on the other players listed?  Not bothered by that sh*t sandwich are you?  Dude gave a contract with massive injury guarantees to a guy with a busted neck.  Come on man.

And it isn't hard at all to call him the worst GM in NFL history.  He was far worse than Tannenbaum and even Idzik (take a gander at the contracts he signed and his 2013 draft class - not that terrible), and when you look at a guy like Matt Millen's draft history, its' massively better than Maccagnan's.

For a guy like you that pays a lot of attention to the details, I'm amazed you can look at Macc's record over his 5 years and defend him in any way.  Terrible takes by you that only Pac could be proud of.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Scratch all those names 

its still a sh*t list 

more of a wet fart, not really a full blown dookie perhaps 

but let me tell you a story 

I’m a big PSU fan. 

I probably saw close to every snap of hack’s college career. When they drafted him - I openly mocked it and I’m usually an optimist by nature. All of my psu fam knew he was a bust. Most NFL GMs knew it too. Taking that guy in the second round? JFC

that was, in all sincerity and frankness, I submit to you, good sir, the worst draft pick of all time 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

But what does that mean? Cap space being eat up by guaranteed money of players not the team? 

Being no scholar on salary cap I would think it means you’re paying someone not to work for you since the organization guaranteed the amount of money you were set to receive regardless of playing status or if you are no longer employed by the organization 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just like Isaiah Crowell, who appears on that list.

isaiah-crowell.gif

Such an embarassment to himself, his team and coaches. Would have been thrown off or suspended from any High School team. Hopefully never see this type of display again from the Jets

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Quincy Enunwa:  $15.5M
  • Devin Smith $632K

Seeing the cap situation of the NY football Giants Gettleman gave Mac a run for his money. They are in the same shape cap wise as the Jets were in when JD took over