Report: Zach Wilson has struggled with accuracy in Jets OTAs

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It wasnt a coincidence Mac Jones looked more prepared to play. This really isnt arguable.

Its no coincidence that Jones was the most experienced and best lineup 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

8 passes in 11-11 in shorts. The Jets practice habits are frankly alarming. Hughes alluded to this as well. It sounds like it was more grab ass than focused football.

Did you read the article @Maxman posted?

They also did multiple 7 on 7 non red zone and red zone.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its no coincidence that Jones was the most experienced and best lineup 

Are you saying that Zach Wilson’s experience in the Big Sky Conference playing for BYU was maybe not as valuable in determining whether he was worth the second overall pick?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Im not questioning his work ethic. I'm questioning the coaches methods. I actually like Wilson a lot.

And all I'm saying is that your questioning coaching methods without knowing their methods and making assumptions as to how they stack up vs others

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Are you saying that Zach Wilson’s experience in the Big Sky Conference playing for BYU was maybe not as valuable in determining whether he was worth the second overall pick?

No, I'm saying playing against SEC competition on basically a low level pro team gives you a jump start to your NFL career.

Doesnt have a thing to do with being able to see the talent and physical traits of a player who plays against lesser competition.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And all I'm saying is that your questioning coaching methods without knowing their methods and making assumptions as to how they stack up vs others

Going off of last preseason. Also using Quinnens curious lack of actual reps last year too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

They shouldnt be. Wilson needs reps. No one was worried about Mac Jones playing a ton in the preaseason.

Another question for Saleh was why Quinnen Williams was only on the field for 50% of the snaps last season. Aaron Donald for reference was in on roughly 90% and basically doubled Williams' snaps. 

Saleh is a smooth talker and I generally like what he says but guys have to play and practice more if this is going to work out.

Aaron Donald is not a reference, the dude’s a freak. Only three IDL played more than 80% of the defensive snaps last season, and he was #1. Including those three, only 13 IDL played more than 65% of their team’s defensive snaps. And while you seem to be trying to lay this % of snaps on Saleh, last year was the highest % of snaps that QW has played in a season. Maybe this is just who he is. Personally, I don’t see the Jets signing him to an extension, but we’ll see. 

As for preseason, I think teams are still trying to figure it out. Used to be that game three was the tune-up game, but all around the league starters were playing less and less or not at all. It’s dangerous to put your rookie QB out there against another team’s backups desperate to make an impression, especially if you have some of your backups in at OL and elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Going off of last preseason. Also using Quinnens curious lack of actual reps last year too.

Theres nothing curious with the way QW was used last year.  The scheme and sub packages along with injuries all dictate his usage.  They dont indicate anything more after one season

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hey man. We’re all rooting for Zach Wilson here. If you’re optimistic about Wilson’s chances, it’s because he played relatively well in the last five games, but those last five games were still pretty bad. He went over 60% completions one time, against a transparently flopping Jaguars defense, in a game where he threw for 102 yards. Overall, in those last five games, he averaged 52% passing for 159 yards and 0.6 TDs per, which is yikes. It’s more accurate to say that Zach made some more NFL-quality passes against the Buccaneers zone defense than he had shown all season, which is true. I actually feel like I’m a lot more optimistic about Zach’s chances than the majority of the informed NFL-aligned and -adjacent analysts have been this off-season. 

Maybe I'm optimistically stupid with a bag full of hope and excuses... but...

I don't think the #'s tell the whole story.  By that point WR1/2 were gone,  3 was gone during those games. The whole RB room was gimpy,  the O'line was back ups and a room that's supposed to be a young QB's best friend (TE) didn't exist the whole year (which I think is an understated point when talking about his poor 2021 season). 

Beyond that excuse,  winter months have an impact. So I think those #'s do tell some of the story but they should be compared to what the opposing QB did.  

Like if I cherry pick the last game of the year (only because I recently looked at it). Wilson was 10 of 17 for 170 yds (I think), Allen was 24 of 45 for 279. Not comparing Wilson to Allen! But Allen's #'s that day tell us it was a bad QB passing day. So if Josh frickin Allen is passing at 50%ish. Maybe we shouldn't expect Zack to be at 65.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

If this is horrible news, then the fact that I misplaced my notebook this morning is a sure sign that I have dementia. The over-the-top reactions are priceless -- as in worthless.

Maybe, maybe not.

If he sucks Week 1 again the fact that he sucked in OTAs will be fairly relevant.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PorP said:

Like if I cherry pick the last game of the year (only because I recently looked at it). Wilson was 10 of 17 for 170 yds (I think), Allen was 24 of 45 for 279. Not comparing Wilson to Allen! But Allen's #'s that day tell us it was a bad QB passing day. So if Josh frickin Allen is passing at 50%ish. Maybe we shouldn't expect Zack to be at 65.

Zach was 7 of 20 for 87 yards in that game. 40 of those yards came on a catch and run to Keelan Cole on a crossing route. Fair points, though. It was a bad weather game with a depleted receiving corps.

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Your best player needs to play. This is crazy.

Yea but are you saying that the defense's best player (And some argue the margin of that) playing 20% to 50% more would suddenly make the defense normal? This was a problem with the whole defense, not just one player.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach was 7 of 20 for 87 yards in that game. 40 of those yards came on a short crossing route to Keelan Cole on a crossing route. Fair points, though. It was a bad weather game with a depleted receiving corps.

Right. Thanks for the correction,  I was mashing stats from a couple different games together. 

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach was 7 of 20 for 87 yards in that game. 40 of those yards came on a catch and run to Keelan Cole on a crossing route. Fair points, though. It was a bad weather game with a depleted receiving corps.

Jeff Smith was on the field that day for nearly 100% of the snaps and caught a single pass. The depleted OL allowed 8 sacks for -72 yards. It was impossible day.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Jeff Smith was on the field that day for nearly 100% of the snaps and caught a single pass. The depleted OL allowed 8 sacks for -72 yards. It was impossible day.  

That game should give people more hope in Saleh than Zach. That was a 13-10 game going into the fourth quarter.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have not read the comments in this thread. But this is a click bait title on the original article if one every existed. I just read that.

Zach started off 0 for 4 then had a great practice.

Was good in 7 on 7s.

Was good in 11 on 11s.

Per the author:  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jets-ota-observations-zach-wilsons-up-and-down-day/

Guess what, this guy files his report and someone else writes the headlines to get you all fired up. 

Stop trying to introduce factual details into this thread. 

It hurts the “sky is falling” narrative that so many crave 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

dude

Zach Wilson is the nephew of the team's biggest sponsor. 

his uncle founded JetBlue. JetBlue gives huge money to the Jets. 

It's just that simple

it was never about football it was always about back room deals and the official hometown airline of the New York Jets 

there's never going to be a fair evaluation of Zach Wilson 

Imagine if Sauce Gardner's uncle founded MetLife. That's basically what we're dealing with here, except Sauce Gardner had good film. And undeniable talent. 

Meanwhile Zach was locked in as the Jets pick last January and no one's really has a good reason why. It wasn't his BYU film playing coastal carolina and hiding behind 5 guys who were 25 as an OL. It's not his physical gifts. He's a nice player with happy feet and a live arm and a terrible injury history. He's not a trevor Lawrence or even  Justin Fields. But he got elevated beyond his actual draft status due to hope. 

he's excellent at creating hope. That's Zach Wilson's best attribute: his ability to get people to believe in him despite zero evidence that they should. He's the king of unrealized potential.  

This guy is going to be here for a decade and in year 8 we'll be waiting for that next step forward. There will be seasons where he gets hurt and that will be the excuse, then we will blame the coaches or the turf or whatever we can think of to not blame Zach Wilson.  

welcome to America, it's not about what you know, it's who you know. And this kid knows everyone and will get every chance. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, slats said:

it was the worst offensive output in franchise history 

think about all the bad offenses in Jets history. Zach Wilson, week 18 was worse than that 

but we all just breeze by that because it's more important to hope than it is to see what's actually happening 

until Week 1 and they are down like 10 points before halftime and we're all like "Oh yeah. I forgot they suck." 

it happens like every offseason at a certain point it's our own fault for stepping on the rake 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, bitonti said:

dude

It's just that simple

it was never about football it was always about back room deals and the official hometown airline of the New York Jets 

he's going to be here for a decade and in year 8 we'll be waiting for that next step forward 

welcome to America, it's not about what you know it's who you know 

FTR, Saleh has already said multiple times that young quarterbacks usually come into their own between seasons two and three, so you’re probably right, but you’d have to think that if Zach’s uncle had any pull, he wouldn’t have put him on the Jets in the first place.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

To be very VERY clear, no one should be making any real judgements till after Week 1 at the very earliest.

Practice, preseason, they might be indicators of where we're headed, but what matters is games that count.

If he looks like poop and throws for 50% in week 1, then this is an entirely legit concern.

And as the year goes on, accuracy will be something I am sure we're all going to watch and evaluate.

Screw that Im making my real judgment now 

we don't have to wait until Week 1 to get wamboozled by false promises

there's this idea he's GOING to make the next step. As if that's definite.  

Sometimes players get worse. Darnold never got better. Zach could have a sophomore slump. That's more likely than him magically becoming this 65 percent passer

meanwhile Tua, who we all make fun of for having a terrible arm completes 64 percent as a rookie and 67 percent as a second year guy

if Zach goes from 55 to 58 the offense will still be terrible. Fans are expecting Zach to go from 55 to 65 just like it's that easy 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

dude

It's just that simple

Imagine if Sauce Gardner's uncle founded MetLife. That's basically what we're dealing with here, except Sauce Gardner had good film. And undeniable talent. 

Meanwhile Zach was locked in as the Jets pick last January and no one's really has a good reason why. It wasn't his BYU film playing coastal carolina and hiding behind 5 guys who were 25 as an OL. It's not his physical gifts. He's a nice player with happy feet and a live arm and a terrible injury history. He's not a trevor Lawrence or even  Justin Fields. But he got elevated beyond his actual draft status due to hope. 

he's excellent at creating hope. That's Zach Wilson's best attribute: his ability to get people to believe in him despite zero evidence that they should. He's the king of unrealized potential.  

This guy is going to be here for a decade and in year 8 we'll be waiting for that next step forward. There will be seasons where he gets hurt and that will be the excuse, then we will blame the coaches or the turf or whatever we can think of to not blame Zach Wilson.  

welcome to America, it's not about what you know, it's who you know. And this kid knows everyone and will get every chance. 

And yet the Jets always fly United lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FTR, Saleh has already said multiple times that young quarterbacks usually come into their own between seasons two and three, so you’re probably right, but you’d have to think that if Zach’s uncle had any pull, he wouldn’t have put him on the Jets in the first place.

getting drafted 2nd overall and getting a 23 mil bonus is better than him falling to the end of the round getting 5 mil to a so called "good" team

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Screw that Im making my real judgment now 

we don't have to wait until Week 1 to get wamboozled by false promises

there's this idea he's GOING to make the next step. As if that's definite.  

Sometimes players get worse. Darnold never got better. Zach could have a sophomore slump. That's more likely than him magically becoming this 65 percent passer

meanwhile Tua, who we all make fun of for having a terrible arm completes 64 percent as a rookie and 67 percent as a second year guy

if Zach goes from 55 to 58 the offense will still be terrible. Fans are expecting Zach to go from 55 to 65 just like it's that easy 

Stick to evaluating OL... Your QB hot takes are garbage

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That game should give people more hope in Saleh than Zach. That was a 13-10 game going into the fourth quarter.

I like Saleh a lot. I’ve said this many times, but I feel that last year was all installation and evaluation, and that’s why we had the seemingly laid back approach. The focus was on teaching more than the score. When the defense was complete crap and Ulbrich was saying that he could see them getting better, I took him at his word. I believe they were looking at specific things the fans simply weren’t privy to. This year, I expect more urgency from Saleh and the staff as they try to introduce this team to the idea of winning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Yea but are you saying that the defense's best player (And some argue the margin of that) playing 20% to 50% more would suddenly make the defense normal? This was a problem with the whole defense, not just one player.

No just pointing at the overall philosophy. Load management or whatever you want to call it is losing mentality for football. Stop babying dudes. Imagine telling Lawrence Taylor were going to manage your snaps?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

dude

It's just that simple

With conspiracy theories like this, you should consider running for congress. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Maybe, maybe not.

If he sucks Week 1 again the fact that he sucked in OTAs will be fairly relevant.

It will about as irrelevant as getting twisted over a set of plays in OTAs in May

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

dude

It's just that simple

Jet Blue also sponsors all 4 teams in Boston, including the Pats.  The list of sponsorships is long and I'd bet the money they give the Jets is far from huge

https://www.jetblue.com/our-company/sponsorships

• Post of the Week 1