Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

28 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

No QB in the league can function with 2 backup tackles 

I hope that this won’t be the story and theme of the 2022 Jets, but at this time it is the biggest issue with the team. Wherever you stand you Zach Wilson and his ability and potential, he has to be given adequate protection. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I understand this 

I’m just happy with the progress

I have been listening to different camps all offseason and all of the good QBs are having days just like Zach is.

So it’s encouraging to me that’s all 

Fair enough.

Just don't think his performance in practice erases how he looked last season.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, I'm not going to believe the progress is meaningful until we see it in the regular season.

Is it great/fun to hear? Sure.

But how many times have we seen/read about Jets players or units tearing it up in TC/preseason only to fall on their face come regular season?

I won't be fooled again, I tells ya!

Definitely. 

It's smart to be cautious. 

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'd be curious to go back and read TC reports from Darnold and year 1 Zach. How often were they going "13 for 16" or whatever. How many of their passes were they completing? I would think that stringing together a bunch of practices of better than 65% completion percentage is a good sign, but maybe most QBs do this? I legitimately don't know.

It's just good to hear that Wilson is completing passes and moving the chains. He struggled a lot with accuracy last year and we would all be panicking if we were reading "5 for 16" or whatever.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Definitely. 

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'd be curious to go back and read TC reports from Darnold and year 1 Zach. How often were they going "13 for 16" or whatever. How many of their passes were they completing? I would think that stringing together a bunch of practices of better than 65% completion percentage is a good sign, but maybe most QBs do this? I legitimately don't know.

It's just good to hear that Wilson is completing passes and moving the chains. He struggled a lot with accuracy last year and we would all be panicking if we were reading "5 for 16" or whatever.  

I do remember Wilson having a not good TC last year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Grandy said:

I do remember Wilson having a not good TC last year. 

So I was traveling a lot last summer and was barely on this board at the time and watched ZERO of preseason. I do remember hearing hype about Wilson from the national media after his preseason game against the Packers, but beyond that, I am unaware of how he looked before week 1. 

This is encouraging to hear. 

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, I'm not going to believe the progress is meaningful until we see it in the regular season.

Is it great/fun to hear? Sure.

But how many times have we seen/read about Jets players or units tearing it up in TC/preseason only to fall on their face come regular season?

I won't be fooled again, I tells ya!

if that's the way that you feel, then don't click on the Training Camp Practice threads?  Just my opinion....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

Jesus, you guys are insufferable. Go take a look at Giants TC and see what they are saying about Danny Dimes. I betcha there fans aren't like, "IDC how terrible he looks right now in practice and how little command he has of the offense. Let's wait and see a real game first."

That logic is ass backwards and insufferable.

Of course they shouldn't be saying that. There's a clear difficulty curve going from practice to live game action. Just because someone can handle level one, doesn't mean they're not going to struggle when the difficulty ramps up, but if someone is struggling early on, that's not a good sign. That'd be like watching someone die over and over on the first jump on the first level of Mario and going: "yeah, but just wait until reaches Bowser, THEN you'll see what he can REALLY do."

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Definitely. 

It certainly ain't a bad sign, and it's good to hear he can perform while under no pressure to be hit.

But, I can't help but recall Adam Gase gushing about how good Sam Darnold was in his third? year of TC, lol.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

No QB in the league can function with 2 backup tackles 

Yup... too true. 

I wanna see ZW play Friday but I think I'd rather not if Fant isn't running with the 1's in Philly. 

No good reason to risk ZW with a rush - struggling line in the preseason

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

So I was traveling a lot last summer and was barely on this board at the time and watched ZERO of preseason. I do remember hearing hype about Wilson from the national media after his preseason game against the Packers, but beyond that, I am unaware of how he looked before week 1. 

you are correct.  he did not have a good camp, the G&W scrimmage last year he was atrocious!!  the giants PS game #1 he didn't play that long but looked ok.  It was really the Packers PS game when he played pretty well and people got exited.  Or at least that's how it went for me.

MUCH better this TC.  I guess at this point I should not be shocked by the people on this forum, but geez.  I mean you read what is going on in other camps where QBs look AWFUL and then you come on here and have people complaining about Zach going 8 for 12 because he got "sacked" 8 times (with both starting tackles out).  As we all know, the refs blow the whistle like as soon as a defender gets anywhere near Zach in TC.  I get it, we want to protect our QB, but there is no way to just say all 8 of those would have been a sack in a real game.  anyone remember that run he had against the Jags last year?

We get enough negative press everywhere else; don't need people complaining/nitpicking about everything!  going 8 for 12 is a bad practice because his YPA was low...... IN A TC PRACTICE!!  SMH

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He actually looked pretty good in the preseason games. Quick and decisive with the ball. Pretty much the exact opposite of what he looked like in the first half of regular season, lol. And it was why I always thought his accuracy issues were mental and could be fixed. He's not a naturally inaccurate QB.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

if that's the way that you feel, then don't click on the Training Camp Practice threads?  Just my opinion....

I still want to know how he and the rest of the team performs. 

Reading TC reports is like foreplay to the real thing.

45 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Okay Zach was terrible last year, how many times you guys want to beat that dead horse with these same tired stats 

it’s corny and old now ?

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What's so interesting about this...two things are happenings:

1) Last year - Zach sucks - because against pressure he was trying to do too much

2) Camp this year - Zach sucks because he went  7-11 under immense pressure - didn't do enough to make plays.

Comical the extent to which "Jet Fans" will go to hold onto their Zach Wilson hate.  

Funny - all I did was post some stats on where Zach needs to improve over last year to make a big leap.  I made no statement whatsoever on my opinion on how he's doing or what I think about Zach.  

Yet, it was automatically assumed that I was a Zach hater which is the complete opposite.  Hell, I'm not even a Becton hater.

As for Zach, from what I'm reading, I think he is making tremendous strides to improve upon the stats that were identified in that tweet, and is doing much better against relentless pressure.

But I don't blame people for making those assumptions, it's just what we deal with on this board.  While it shouldn't be "positive vibes only", well thought out criticism is critical to discussion, BUT this place is infested with too many trolls who spam any thread they can with constant complaints and purposely try to spin a negative take on just about any topic for discussion.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So...practice only matters for the OL and not the QB?  

Huh? I never said anything about the OL.

My point was practice reports don't erase Zach's performance last year. They're both relevant to who he potentially becomes.