Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It happening Jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  10-15 years of dominance under Joe D and Robert Saleh.  After fumbling around for years, somehow we stumbled upon Joe and Robert.

It happens.  The Bucs were a joke at one point, the saints wore bags over there heads, the packers in the 80s were a disaster.

We got 2 generation talents at the top of this organization.  Its finally happened.  Enjoy fellas!!!  What a ride we are about to go on!

Is Wilson our Don Majkowski?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SickJetFan said:

yep must have been...so like i said we shall see - hoping for diamond in rough - apparently he has good hands/tech

Just in case it's coming off like I'm against Mitchell... I'm not.  I still like the pick

I was just saying I read that strength conditioning was one of the things he had to do to be pro ready. 

I didn't mean for it to come off like any kind of indictment. 

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

Just in case it's coming off like I'm against Mitchell... I'm not.  I still like the pick

I was just saying I read that strength conditioning was one of the things he had to do to be pro ready. 

I remember it being more weight to allow him to use his strength against  NFL pass rushers. It was thought it would take a while to get to a good weight over 300. Not saying it is the case bit sometimes tou have a final growth spurt in yulour early 20s could be the case here. Ilf Mitchell and Clemons become starters it could be one of the most epic drafts in a while

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PorP said:

yeah i have no clue whether he is good or not and would not be heartbroken if he complete failure.  I just think everyone with a PC is a scout this day and age all over the internet and nothing beats the eye test.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I remember it being more weight to allow him to use his strength against  NFL pass rushers. It was thought it would take a while to get to a good weight over 300. Not saying it is the case bit sometimes tou have a final growth spurt in yulour early 20s could be the case here. Ilf Mitchell and Clemons become starters it could be one of the most epic drafts in a while

Ya. I did,  went from 5'11" to 6'4" when I was 19/20... lol

With iv would have had the height in high school. 

1 hour ago, PorP said:

I honestly don't recall where I read it or what it pertained to (pro day or if he was at combine?). 

I didn't know who  he was when we drafted him so I Googled. First thing that came up was his #1 pff CFB OT ranking. ... to which that plus 4th round seemed weird and I dug further. 

It basically said he was a later round pick based on the smaller school he went to and the black eye bench press number in an otherwise mediocre RAS for olineman.

I remember reading that he had a bad Senior Bowl week (mostly against Jermaine), which may have lowered his stock a bit.  But the Jets were there and had a chance to evaluate both of them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Possible but right now the ball is in his court.

Sure - no doubt. But its not like he had endless possibilities either. Most teams have their starting tackles set and teams that don't may not have the cap $ to spend on a high profile ticket. Either he signs with someone like us who have an immediate need or he plays the game of waiting for an injury to a starter on a contending team. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, derp said:

I mean, the issue with Ekwonu isn’t that he’s not playing tackle, it’s that he’s a sixth overall pick who that team wants to win the starting job but his struggles in pass protection are making that impossible. If he was good in pass pro I’m sure they’d have no problem kicking Christensen inside or having him be a backup swing tackle. This also exactly meshes with why he didn’t make sense for the Jets, which I know we went back and forth on pre-draft. We wouldn’t feel any better about RT this year if it was the fourth overall pick getting smoked off the edge than we would if it was Edoga.

Christensen is a second year third round old guy (part of that loaded BYU line that made me question taking and playing Wilson early) who was pretty average last year. It’s not like he had a great first year and had a stranglehold on that position heading into camp.

In my opinion it’s kind of like if Bryce Hall was beating out Sauce for the starting corner spot because Sauce was struggling in man coverage. Hall isn’t a bad player, a little better than Christensen on PFF last year as a comparison point, but the top ten pick should be taking a stranglehold on that job.

I think the better analog would be if we drafted Jaquan Brisker and had him compete with Bryce Hall at CB. It’s just my opinion that Christensen profiles as a prototype left tackle and Ekwonu is a prototype right tackle. Pass pro was never going to be his strength early on, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he struggled in that area, like most young OLT’s. The Panthers are apparently doing a bunch of weird, college-like sh*t with their roster and faux training camp competitions, and Christensen v Ekwonu is one of them. I’m not sure why they’d want to pigeonhole Ekwonu in at left tackle as opposed to guard (at least early on), but alas. 

and not to re-litigate Ekwonu vs Sauce at 4, but I think part of the decision to Sauce was the naive hubris that they were going to get something out of the swollen husk of Mekhi Becton, and now they’re doomed, no matter how good Sauce ends up being this season. Becton is no more, the Zach Wilson Project is deeply compromised as a result, and it’s more likely today than it was a week ago that this team is going to win four games this year, and that would not be the case today if we had drafted Ekwonu. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Great. 

He's gonna turn out to be The One, isn't he? 

Not sure why we kept Vinny Curry over him.

Curry was a solid player once upon a time but there’s no way in hell he’s making the team over dudes like Martin or Huff.

At least Rashed has legitimate upside. At the beginning of the 2020 season he was being talked about as a potential 1st round pick and he flashed plenty in TC and pre-season last year.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, derp said:

Setting aside that the Panthers clearly drafted Ekwonu to play left tackle - just follow the asset allocation between him and Christensen - you’re smart enough to know a) comparing a safety to a corner isn’t a good analog for comparing a left tackle to a right tackle given the former largely requires different skill sets and the latter is more or less interchangeable - I think even tackle to guard is a less dramatic difference than corner to safety b) comparing the fourth overall pick to the sixth overall pick is much more reasonable than comparing the sixth overall pick to a second round pick and c) I wasn’t going to let a wild comparison like that slide.

I don’t think Ekwonu’s struggles at left tackle are comparable to most young left tackles. At this point it’s not “he could improve in pass protection” it’s “he’s so bad in pass protection that we can’t play him at the position we drafted him to play, so we’re stuck playing the guy we drafted him to replace”. I don’t think Ekwonu vs. Christensen is a weird college thing, it’s a response to things not going the way they planned. And they don’t want him to play at guard because you don’t draft guards who aren’t Quenton Nelson and probably landing in the HOF at 6 - it’s more valuable to have a rookie at the more important and expensive position and have an anchor there instead of moving him around. Even the idea that Ekwonu is an ideal right tackle…then he should’ve gone in the mid-late first, not at 6. They drafted him to play left tackle.

If this roster is winning four games, this roster with Ekwonu over Sauce is winning two. I don’t know how in the world you think a guy who’s struggling in training camp would help the team more than Sauce. Any street FA tackle - Brown, Fisher, Williams, Shell would help the team this year more than Ekwonu - and those guys can be added at any time. I think you could argue Cross or Neal more easily than Ekwonu too. The fascination with Ekwonu is one of the weirder board things in some time.

That and right tackle isn’t a premium position. It got filled with a street FA last offseason. A SB contender in the Chargers has an open competition between JAGs. I doubt there was any hubris re Becton, certainly not from Saleh, but potentially they just don’t think it’s a premium position that needs a top five pick invested there - which meshes with most of the league. Hell there’s a nontrivial chance Max Mitchell is a better tackle this year than Ekwonu - especially in pass protection which is what the Jets really need there.

My point about the safety vs the CB is that it’s my opinion that Ekwonu shouldn’t be a left tackle, and that there’s great value to having a devastating run blocker at RT or even RG. Sauce plays the same position as Hall, and in this analogy, Hall was a rookie who showed some competence at a key position same as Christensen did last year. I don’t think Ekwonu plays the same position as Christensen, so it’s not apples to apples. This was a weak draft top to bottom—no big QBs, meh receivers, dubious EDGEs, so drafting a dude whom they think might be a gold jacket ORT isn’t some outlandish idea, imo. FWIW, it appears that Ekwonu has overtaken Christensen at LT regardless, with McAdoo saying he “blocks out the sun” or some such. I’ve been trying to find these tweets and articles indicating Ekwonu has been a dumpster fire at camp and I’m just not seeing it other than one tweet where he got beat by a spin move in 1 on 1’s a few weeks ago. Here’s the Panthers’ beat guy on Ekwonu vs Christensen: 

To me, Ickey’s a rookie. He’s gotta earn everything he gets, and he’s got a long way to go,” Rhule said. “He does some things really well naturally. He’s unbelievably powerful and talented. But there’s a lot to this game. There’s a lot of nuances and techniques and all those things. He has a long way to go. He’ll get there, but every day he’s gotta work.”

Maybe it’s owing to his background as a college coach, but Rhule is not about anointing many players as starters before they’ve stepped on Wofford’s campus. There are exceptions. Former Los Angeles Rams offensive lineman Austin Corbett jumped into a starting job at right guard, while veteran safety Xavier Woods slid into the first-team defense alongside Jeremy Chinn from Day 1 in Spartanburg.

“I don’t think it’s fair to make decisions about the depth chart unless it’s blatantly obvious,” Rhule said. “But guys who are battling after a week, you’ve gotta (get) these guys to settle in.”

7 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Funny - all I did was post some stats on where Zach needs to improve over last year to make a big leap.  I made no statement whatsoever on my opinion on how he's doing or what I think about Zach.  

Yet, it was automatically assumed that I was a Zach hater which is the complete opposite.  Hell, I'm not even a Becton hater.

As for Zach, from what I'm reading, I think he is making tremendous strides to improve upon the stats that were identified in that tweet, and is doing much better against relentless pressure.

But I don't blame people for making those assumptions, it's just what we deal with on this board.  While it shouldn't be "positive vibes only", well thought out criticism is critical to discussion, BUT this place is infested with too many trolls who spam any thread they can with constant complaints and purposely try to spin a negative take on just about any topic for discussion.

I wasn't really pointing to you, just referencing the posted concerns with Zach.

And a bunch of people in the media and handful on this board.  

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My point about the safety vs the CB is that it’s my opinion that Ekwonu shouldn’t be a left tackle, and that there’s great value to having a devastating run blocker at RT or even RG. Sauce plays the same position as Hall, and in this analogy, Hall was a rookie who showed some competence at a key position same as Christensen did last year. I don’t think Ekwonu plays the same position as Christensen, so it’s not apples to apples. This was a weak draft top to bottom—no big QBs, meh receivers, dubious EDGEs, so drafting a dude whom they think might be a gold jacket ORT isn’t some outlandish idea, imo. FWIW, it appears that Ekwonu has overtaken Christensen at LT regardless, with McAdoo saying he “blocks out the sun” or some such. I’ve been trying to find these tweets and articles indicating Ekwonu has been a dumpster fire at camp and I’m just not seeing it other than one tweet where he got beat by a spin move in 1 on 1’s a few weeks ago. Here’s the Panthers’ beat guy on Ekwonu vs Christensen: 

I don’t think you can make the argument Ekwonu is best served to play right tackle and also make the argument he’s a good pick at 4. That’s not a position you take at four. Again, right and left tackle are largely interchangeable in terms of role and skill set, corner and safety aren’t close. 

Here’s the ESPN guy and Rhule:

“Bottom line: There's still a reason Ekwonu is far from winning the position. "He's got a long way to go,'' coach Matt Rhule said for the second straight day. "He gave up a huge sack there at the end. I'm not super concerned with the run-blocking, it's the pass protection he [needs to] continue to develop. He's right where he's supposed to be, but that's not like a receiver where you can have three good plays and then a drop. A drop at left tackle means the quarterback gets hit.'”

• Upvote 2