Thoughts on our running back rotation

2 things:
1- I feel like today was 65-35 michael carter.  Now I love me some michael carter but I think this needs to be flipped.  Breece Hall needs to be out there the majority of the time.  Hopefully this Sunday we official unleash Breece the Beast!
2- Why is ty johnson playing at all?  We have 2 good backs.  There is 0 need to be playing a 3rd.  And I feel like johnson was out there on some very important downs.

The only time I saw Ty. He was picking up the blitz like a champ

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I will not advocate for Hall as RB#1 until he really shows it.  Had a nice outside run today, but MC is the better player right now imo and it’s not really close.

I think Hall can hit holes harder if they are there but MC consistently makes yardage on his own.  I think the rotation now is fine and they should lean on whoever’s hot during a game.

Hall was 7 for 50 on the ground and MC was 7 for 23.  So it wasnt close as to who was the better runner today.  It was Breece by a mile.  He needs more then 7 carries a game.  Love me some MC, but its time to feed the Beast!

• Upvote 3

I agree that Carter should be the change of pace back.  Think that’s what the season will fold into to. 

Breece is impressive but still getting comfortable.  I’m also wondering if he’s a guy that improves and finds his flow by staying in for extended periods.  He’s always been that, was basically Iowa ST’s entire offense.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things:

1- I feel like today was 65-35 michael carter.  Now I love me some michael carter but I think this needs to be flipped.  Breece Hall needs to be out there the majority of the time.  Hopefully this Sunday we official unleash Breece the Beast!

2- Why is ty johnson playing at all?  We have 2 good backs.  There is 0 need to be playing a 3rd.  And I feel like johnson was out there on some very important downs.

Aot of times, it has to do with knowing how to pass block, to know the protections.   That is crucial to playing running back in the nfl.

Also, it's a long season, both will get their touches.

• Upvote 2

I think this is similar to the reaction to the week 1 snap count for Wilson.  Give breece a couple of weeks and he will be 50/50 with MC or maybe 60/40 if he really distances himself from Carter.

Javonte Williams, who is great imo, is still splitting snaps with Melvin Gordon. These teams aren't going to overwork young RBs if they already have guys  like Carter or Gordon.  

As for ty Johnson,  he should never be on the field. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things:

Johnson had that drop on the last drive, not sure why he was in there at this point.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I have no idea what you are watching.  Carter is a good back, but Hall is bigger , faster and stronger and has better vision. Hall is special and deserves more than 7 carries.

Please take your NCAA tinted glasses off.  I have no idea what point “bigger, faster and stronger and has better vision” is supposed to make.  You are saying he’s “a freak of nature”?  Sorry but I’ve heard that a million and one times before.

You can’t seriously make any logical decisions after two games, where they each have around 15 carries only.  Hall did not run well week 1 and turned the ball over.  MC was hot week 1.  Hall bounced back today and found some holes so he split carries with MC (both had 7).

You claim Hall is “special”.  This is the nfl.  He’s not “special” until he proves it, and he has not yet.  GW did a bit tonight.  Ill be more than happy to crown Hall in a few weeks if he shows it but I’m not basing nfl play off of college resumes. You’d think people would have learned not to do that by now.

• Upvote 1

I liked what the Browns seemed to do.  They didn’t split by Down.  They split by Drives.  It looked like Chubb would get an entire drive and then Hunt would essentially get an entire drive.  To some degree I like that, especially if both guys are capable pass-catchers.  It allows them to get into a rhythm on each drive without being taken off the field just as they’re starting to get into a groove.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things:

Eh give it time... Hall has a lot to learn about protections and will eventually take over Mc is great at being Slippery... Ty Johnson I never understood keeping him until I saw the last few drives... He is absolutely in there for protection... He is their best blocking rb.. Never figured it out till now

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I liked what the Browns seemed to do.  They didn’t split by Down.  They split by Drives.  It looked like Chubb would get an entire drive and then Hunt would essentially get an entire drive.  To some degree I like that, especially if both guys are capable pass-catchers.  It allows them to get into a rhythm on each drive without being taken off the field just as they’re starting to get into a groove.

Ding ding rotating by down telegraphs things a bit as well 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Agree on both counts.  Seems like Breece Hall should be the 1st and 2nd down back.  Michael Carter the 3rd down back and shoot Ty Johnson into the sun.

I have no idea why Ty Johnson is on this team over Bam Knight.

Ty Johnson absolutely took someone out on a pass block and it was the moment that made me realize why this guy is still on the team. Don't remember who he took out, but it was a key moment of the game.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things:

Breece Mode!!

• Haha 1

Would like to see Hall get more Carrie’s.   Flacco needs to be protected.   It makes sense to sacrifice some run plays if your rookie isn’t fully trusted to pick up the blitz.   

in general would like to see more runs.  Both Carter and Hall look like they can break some chunk yard plays if they get enough Carrie’s.  

Cleveland’s secondary looked shaky.  It makes sense to pass on a team that can’t defend our WRs and use the backs to block.   It might simply be the tape on Cleveland and the game plan.

We actually have WR who can get open this year.  

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things:

The disease is strong in this.

8 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I will not advocate for Hall as RB#1 until he really shows it.  Had a nice outside run today, but MC is the better player right now imo and it’s not really close.

I think Hall can hit holes harder if they are there but MC consistently makes yardage on his own.  I think the rotation now is fine and they should lean on whoever’s hot during a game.

Hmm - I really didnt see it this way.  I think the team trusts MC more at this point but I think we will start to see the snap counts start to flip more and more each week until Breece is the lead back by week 8 with MC coming in as the backup.  Its a good problem to have

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hall was 7 for 50 on the ground and MC was 7 for 23.  So it wasnt close as to who was the better runner today.  It was Breece by a mile.  He needs more then 7 carries a game.  Love me some MC, but its time to feed the Beast!

I think this is wayyyyy too simplistic of a view.  Like, ridiculously low level box score stat viewing and forming an analysis.  It was 1 game, and situations matter.  It seemed to me, Carter had more 1st down carriers, vs. stacked boxes than Hall.  I cant confirm that, I'd have to look at situational touches but sure felt that way.  And just last week, Carter averaged 6 ypc, vs. Hall's 3.2.  Carter also had a huge play negated by a bull sh*t penalty yesterday.

I have no problem with the rotation.  I'll say this confidently, Carter is a dude.  He is extremely hard to bring down first contact, like seriously, one of the better tackle breakers I've seen in the league.  I havent seen that from Hall.  Carter makes something out of nothing quite well, cant say the same about Hall but the sample size is small, so who knows but it would absolutely foolish to start to reduce Carter's touches. He's an outright stud.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 things:

Hall should be our bell cow, Carter should be the change of pace, and whoever is having the better day can close the game.  

I LOVE both! 

Ty Johnson can take a swim in the Hudson. 

Hall was averaging almost seven yards a carry, but I don't remember seeing him in the 4th quarter. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  The Browns had a great rotation.  

Hall and Carter are both good pass catchers so it's only going to get better once they get in a flow. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Eh give it time... Hall has a lot to learn about protections and will eventually take over Mc is great at being Slippery... Ty Johnson I never understood keeping him until I saw the last few drives... He is absolutely in there for protection... He is their best blocking rb.. Never figured it out till now

Very reasonable take-

I'll rewatch and look for this.

Thanks 

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think this is wayyyyy too simplistic of a view.  Like, ridiculously low level box score stat viewing and forming an analysis.  It was 1 game, and situations matter.  It seemed to me, Carter had more 1st down carriers, vs. stacked boxes than Hall.  I cant confirm that, I'd have to look at situational touches but sure felt that way.  And just last week, Carter averaged 6 ypc, vs. Hall's 3.2.  Carter also had a huge play negated by a bull sh*t penalty yesterday.

I have no problem with the rotation.  I'll say this confidently, Carter is a dude.  He is extremely hard to bring down first contact, like seriously, one of the better tackle breakers I've seen in the league.  I havent seen that from Hall.  Carter makes something out of nothing quite well, cant say the same about Hall but the sample size is small, so who knows but it would absolutely foolish to start to reduce Carter's touches. He's an outright stud.

My guy came around!

100% right though. FFS Carter had a 25 yard run called back for a nonsensical call. That would have changed the stats. I think he's also looked the more elusive back while Hall has an extra gear to him.

It's a good group. It was always going to be.