Don’t expect Zach Wilson to be Jets’ savior in return

By Steve Scurvy

September 27, 2022 | 7:06pm

The Jets need a hero in the worst way, but they don’t need Zach Wilson to try to play hero ball when he is cleared to return for their game Sunday in Pittsburgh.

While it helps that Wilson is no statue standing stationary in the pocket, neither is poor Daniel Jones, for all the good it did him on Monday night against the carnivorous Cowboys.

In other words, don’t expect miracles from Wilson.

Don’t expect him to be the savior.

If Wilson doesn’t get more help than Jones got from his offensive line and wide receivers, he’ll be a hero only if he makes it through what is now his 14-game season, in which the franchise is expecting him to Take Flight.

But the reality is that if head coach Robert Saleh and the Jets plan on keeping receipts, they will need the very best of Wilson.

Problem is, no one has any idea or can possibly predict what that will be.

Wilson benefited observing how to operate coordinator Mike LaFleur’s offense during his month on the sideline last season after an injury to the same right knee that has cost him the first three weeks of this season. When he made it back on the field last season, he stopped resembling an overmatched rookie quarterback out of BYU trying to show everyone why he was the second overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft.

His return this time should provide some kind of spark, but it is unrealistic for anyone to believe that he will hit the ground running and elevate the play of everyone around him.

5AF8AFCD-AF8A-4054-962E-D5470F122774.thumb.webp.82cddeb330d6e11e8cddc83aaeeb4673.webp
Zach Wilson is expected to return against the Steelers on Sunday, but fans need to lower their expectations. Bill Kostroun

Everyone around him should do the kid a favor and help elevate their young quarterback’s play, starting with LaFleur. Joe Flacco threw 155 times in his three games. The Jets made just 57 rushing attempts. Starting fast and feeding Michael Carter and Breece Hall (and not forgetting to target them in the passing game) would be wise.

There is no ideal time to play quarterback for anyone, much less for a quarterback with 13 career starts when your left tackle (George Fant), who was switched back from right tackle, was placed on injured reserve Tuesday with a knee injury. That appears to mean Conor McDermott will be the left tackle against the Steelers and until veteran street free agent Mike Remmers is ready, and rookie Max Mitchell will be the right tackle.

There is no ideal time to play quarterback for anyone, much less a quarterback with 13 career starts, when your defense stars in a sideline passion play and fails to communicate at the most critical times on the field.

Hope has sprung eternal for an eternity for the long-suffering Jets fan. If it’s any consolation, and it’s probably not, among the quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2021, only first-overall pick Trevor Lawrence has begun to take the second-year leap. Trey Lance is lost for the season with a broken ankle, Justin Fields (two TDs, four INTs, 51.1 completion percentage) continues to endure growing pains and Mac Jones will miss multiple games with a high ankle sprain.

But it’s too early for nothing but doom and gloom, so let’s look on the bright side for a change:

Wilson’s well-chronicled improvisational gifts will help him keep plays alive.

The Steelers have a 30.5 QB pressure percentage with T. J. Watt, compared to 19.0 without, according to NextGen Stats. And Wilson doesn’t have to worry about Watt (pectoral).

Unlike Daniel Jones, Wilson has the same HC and OC as he did as a rookie.

Unlike Jones, he has a rising star to target, in rookie Garrett Wilson. Jones and the Giants have to be frustrated that their 2021 first-round draft pick, Kadarius Toney, cannot stay on the field.

The Steelers (1-2) will be an angry outfit, but Wilson won’t have to win any shootout against Mitch Trubisky, and Pittsburgh OC Matt Canada is under fire.

The game is at Acrisure Stadium, so Wilson won’t be serenaded with the “We Want [Mike] White” chants that Flacco heard at MetLife Stadium in Weeks 1 and 3.

Now go get ’em, kid.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2

I personally don't  care if the Jets win or lose. This isn't a playoff team. I would just like to see a something resembling a game plan from the O and Zach look competent running it. What I don't  want to see is Zach running all over the backfield and chucking the ball 20 yards down field to a WR who is covered. Would be nice for the D to step up too. We saw some fire from Q last week. I thought that was great. It shows he cares. Let's hope Ulbrich got the message.  Keep this guy on the field. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

By Steve Scurvy

September 27, 2022 | 7:06pm

The Jets need a hero in the worst way, but they don’t need Zach Wilson to try to play hero ball when he is cleared to return for their game Sunday in Pittsburgh.

While it helps that Wilson is no statue standing stationary in the pocket, neither is poor Daniel Jones, for all the good it did him on Monday night against the carnivorous Cowboys.

In other words, don’t expect miracles from Wilson.

Don’t expect him to be the savior.

If Wilson doesn’t get more help than Jones got from his offensive line and wide receivers, he’ll be a hero only if he makes it through what is now his 14-game season, in which the franchise is expecting him to Take Flight.

But the reality is that if head coach Robert Saleh and the Jets plan on keeping receipts, they will need the very best of Wilson.

Problem is, no one has any idea or can possibly predict what that will be.

Wilson benefited observing how to operate coordinator Mike LaFleur’s offense during his month on the sideline last season after an injury to the same right knee that has cost him the first three weeks of this season. When he made it back on the field last season, he stopped resembling an overmatched rookie quarterback out of BYU trying to show everyone why he was the second overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft.

His return this time should provide some kind of spark, but it is unrealistic for anyone to believe that he will hit the ground running and elevate the play of everyone around him.

5AF8AFCD-AF8A-4054-962E-D5470F122774.thumb.webp.82cddeb330d6e11e8cddc83aaeeb4673.webp
Zach Wilson is expected to return against the Steelers on Sunday, but fans need to lower their expectations. Bill Kostroun

Everyone around him should do the kid a favor and help elevate their young quarterback’s play, starting with LaFleur. Joe Flacco threw 155 times in his three games. The Jets made just 57 rushing attempts. Starting fast and feeding Michael Carter and Breece Hall (and not forgetting to target them in the passing game) would be wise.

There is no ideal time to play quarterback for anyone, much less for a quarterback with 13 career starts when your left tackle (George Fant), who was switched back from right tackle, was placed on injured reserve Tuesday with a knee injury. That appears to mean Conor McDermott will be the left tackle against the Steelers and until veteran street free agent Mike Remmers is ready, and rookie Max Mitchell will be the right tackle.

There is no ideal time to play quarterback for anyone, much less a quarterback with 13 career starts, when your defense stars in a sideline passion play and fails to communicate at the most critical times on the field.

Hope has sprung eternal for an eternity for the long-suffering Jets fan. If it’s any consolation, and it’s probably not, among the quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2021, only first-overall pick Trevor Lawrence has begun to take the second-year leap. Trey Lance is lost for the season with a broken ankle, Justin Fields (two TDs, four INTs, 51.1 completion percentage) continues to endure growing pains and Mac Jones will miss multiple games with a high ankle sprain.

But it’s too early for nothing but doom and gloom, so let’s look on the bright side for a change:

Wilson’s well-chronicled improvisational gifts will help him keep plays alive.

The Steelers have a 30.5 QB pressure percentage with T. J. Watt, compared to 19.0 without, according to NextGen Stats. And Wilson doesn’t have to worry about Watt (pectoral).

Unlike Daniel Jones, Wilson has the same HC and OC as he did as a rookie.

Unlike Jones, he has a rising star to target, in rookie Garrett Wilson. Jones and the Giants have to be frustrated that their 2021 first-round draft pick, Kadarius Toney, cannot stay on the field.

The Steelers (1-2) will be an angry outfit, but Wilson won’t have to win any shootout against Mitch Trubisky, and Pittsburgh OC Matt Canada is under fire.

The game is at Acrisure Stadium, so Wilson won’t be serenaded with the “We Want [Mike] White” chants that Flacco heard at MetLife Stadium in Weeks 1 and 3.

Now go get ’em, kid.

Bro JetBlue is pulling out all the stops using their media bobo's to protect this kid from the inevitable wrath of the NYJ fan 

??????

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

As if Pittsburgh without Watt is as good as Dallas's defense right now in putting pressure on the QB.  Dallas right now might have the best pass rush in the league.  Parsons with Watt out might be the best pass rusher in the league.  

Apples and oranges.  The Jets coaching staff needs to figure this out.  Pittsburgh isn't a very good team right now.  

• Upvote 3

He's gonna suck this week....how can he not?

The line is in shambles which means no running game. We have late round picks, backups and practice squad guys watching his back. Do you think he won't be looking over his shoulder?

Of course he will be running for his life and holding onto the ball.

He will not have time to go through reads or scan the field

He's going to try to make a play when only one wr gets open every play and that one gets double coverage.

IT'S GOING TO BE A MESS.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

He's gonna suck this week....how can he not?

The line is in shambles which means no running game. We have late round picks, backups and practice squad guys watching his back. Do you think he won't be looking over his shoulder?

Of course he will be running for his life and holding onto the ball.

He will not have time to go through reads or scan the field

He's going to try to make a play when only one wr gets open every play and that one gets double coverage.

IT'S GOING TO BE A MESS.

The line is not in a shambles. Fant was not playing much better if at all than McDermott already. It's  basically the same OL we have been playing all season and hopefully Brown makes his debut in week 5. No excuses.  This line helped beat a better D on Cleveland.  

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

On average, Jets fans thought this was a 7ish win team before the season with.

Cant imagine anyone thinks we’re winning more games now then they predicted a few months ago.

We’re just looking for Zach to play well. Some think that will happen and others don't. 

I thought 7 games based on the schedule.  Now that I've actually seen what I thought were very good NFL teams play, 7 games is a minimum.

• Haha 1

The line is not in a shambles. Fant was not playing much better if at all than McDermott already. It's  basically the same OL we have been playing all season and hopefully Brown makes his debut in week 5. No excuses.  This line helped beat a better D on Cleveland.  
The line is in shambles don't fool yourself. It was in shambles when fant was moved to lt to replace the other lt that went down after the other lt went down.

McDermott shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.

If Brown comes back then yes it looks a lot brighter.

Oh...and beating Cleveland? Hahahaha PULEASE!!! That was a fluke and the line was still mostly bad....and that was before fant went down.

On average, Jets fans thought this was a 7ish win team before the season with.
Cant imagine anyone thinks we’re winning more games now then they predicted a few months ago.
We’re just looking for Zach to play well. Some think that will happen and others don't. 
Facts

I'm expecting a conservative game plan.  I do not think LaFleur will let Zach throw as much as he had Flacco throw.  The first 10 to 15 plays are going to be "safe" plays to get in a groove since he has missed time.  I'm expecting 2 runs to start the game. Both get stuffed for a 3rd and long and a screen that gets 4 yards on third and long. Why? Because of course.

My head tells me that its going to be a rough game because of rust, and having to gel with his receivers, blah blah blah.

My heart wants me to be wrong and it would be great to talk about how he came out and balled out and lead us to a road win. But, for as much as I like Zach and want this, I think the outcome is set already.

My guess is 250 yards, 1 td and 1 int.  I think he is iffy on taking off and running too. Though he may be forced to run for his life.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

The line is in shambles don't fool yourself. It was in shambles when fant was moved to lt to replace the other lt that went down after the other le went down.

Your looking for an excuse here for Zach to suck which imo will be on him. The right side of the line is stable. That doesn't  mean there have been no problems there but it is the same 2 guys all 3 games and one week of preseason. Fant played the entire year last season as the LT, opened camp as the LT, and played about a week of RT and went back to LT when Brown went on IR about a week after he was cleared to play. This is a BS excuse. Fant has been on the left side practically  the whole season. Now he is hurt and on IR. Why os this surprising? I think he only played 2 full seasons over his career. And Fant looked a he'll of lot like McDermott on Sunday and I would say as well against Cleveland.and Balt. The line is basically what it is. If Zach plays like crap, it's  on him, not the OL. He should know what is coming. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Daniel Jones had a hard time against Dallas so don't get your hopes up kids!

derp GIF

Look - I don't have high expectations for Zach based on what I've seen so far. I have high hopes, but not expectations. That said, this article is a large, crusty doggie turd.

It’s a Serby piece. He’s garbage, thus why I posted the article - to see the usual suspects react to a stupid piece and watch them tee off! Lol ?

• Haha 1

Your looking for an excuse here for Zach to suck which imo will be on him. The right side of the line is stable. That doesn't  mean there have been no problems there but it is the same 2 guys all 3 games and one week of preseason. Fant played the entire year last season as the LT, opened camp as the LT, and played about a week of RT and went back to LT when Brown went on IR about a week after he was cleared to play. This is a BS excuse. Fant has been on the left side practically  the whole season. Now he is hurt and on IR. Why os this surprising? I think he only played 2 full seasons over his career. And Fant looked a he'll of lot like McDermott on Sunday and I would say as well against Cleveland.and Balt. The line is basically what it is. If Zach plays like crap, it's  on him, not the OL. He should know what is coming. 

Haha if you think I'm looking for an excuse for Zack then you don't read my posts. I'm not a Zack fan.

The right side of the line isn't stable, watch the tape. The same guys have been there but Max is a work in progress and needs help often. You can stop bringing up Fant since he won't be playing this week he doesn't matter. You can stop bringing up Brown because he won't be playing this week either. Using two guys who aren't playing to justify why they should play better is an excuse.

They have a wreck for a line and it has been that way all season and the qb has had crappy protection for most of the season. I don't expect anything better for Zack.

If you think this line is fine then we can agree to disagree....as usual.

Nevermind you are right....

The line is fine.

14 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Haha if you think I'm looking for an excuse for Zack then you don't read my posts. I'm not a Zack fan.

The right side of the line isn't stable, watch the tape. The same guys have been there but Max is a work in progress and needs help often. You can stop bringing up Fant since he won't be playing this week he doesn't matter. You can stop bringing up Brown because he won't be playing this week either. Using two guys who aren't playing to justify why they should play better is an excuse.

They have a wreck for a line and it has been that way all season and the qb has had crappy protection for most of the season. I don't expect anything better for Zack.

If you think this line is fine then we can agree to disagree....as usual.

I don't  think you are reading what I am posting. Never said the right side was doing fine, just that it is the same as it has been all season and it hasn't  really been a problem.  The problem has actually been Fant. He has been awful. Him not being there changes nothing. 

Zach will be back.  We will run Breece Hall right through this team on Sunday.  D will step up against a turd like Trubisky.  Zach will make quick, safe throws so he doesnt get killed coming from the left side.

Jets eek out a win and will be facing a 3-1 overrated Dolphins team at home next week for either 1st or 2nd place in the division.

Have faith jet fans.  Its not even week 4 yet.  Not time to panic.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think you are reading what I am posting. Never said the right side was doing fine, just that it is the same as it has been all season and it hasn't  really been a problem.  The problem has actually been Fant. He has been awful. Him not being there changes nothing. 

Well we can agree that Fant has been awful...but he is/was better than mcdermott will ever be and now that he is gone it is even worse than it was when he was there.  You said the right side of the line is "stable" I read that as fine and we disagree...or at least it is a loos definition as it isnt constantly changing. Unfortunately the line plays as a group and if one or two parts are a mess it affects the whole like. Fant being gone and that shiny new free agent we signed to play LG continues to suck then the whole like is a mess. 

McDermott being in for Fant does NOT make the line better or more competent, it makes it less. Fant sucking doesnt change that fact. 

47 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

The line is in shambles don't fool yourself. It was in shambles when fant was moved to lt to replace the other lt that went down after the other lt went down.

Oh...and beating Cleveland? Hahahaha PULEASE!!! That was a fluke and the line was still mostly bad....and that was before fant went down.

But alas he is.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Zach will be back.  We will run Breece Hall right through this team on Sunday.  D will step up against a turd like Trubisky.  Zach will make quick, safe throws so he doesnt get killed coming from the left side.
Jets eek out a win and will be facing a 3-1 overrated Dolphins team at home next week for either 1st or 2nd place in the division.
Have faith jet fans.  Its not even week 4 yet.  Not time to panic.

I hope you are right Joe W.
Run the Ball. And don’t be Statuesque at QB and there’s a shot

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

This may be the least surprising article or thread literally ever.

As expected, the usual folks are preemptively predicting doom and eliminating any responsibility for any poor Zach play for Sunday's game.

That's how you can tell the real level of belief in a guy, when his most dedicated defenders and fans spend the week before the game telling anyone who'll listen that it's not his fault if he plays like crap, lol.

• Sympathy 1