what are expectations for zach for this year?

batman10023

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

this is roughly what mac jones did last year from quick glance.

i am afraid he will throw more INTs... even though he hasn't thrown one in 170 attempts.

In terms of stats yes. Mac had a good year. But he didn’t show he can attack all levels of the field. Didn't show it this year either. That’s why some doubt his ability.

That’s why I also need to see Zach attack defenses at all levels in order to be excited moving forward. He needs to pass the eye test as well. Hard to quantify that though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Fair points.

It's just if we're throwing 45+ times a game, dude should put up some good numbers with these receivers.

But I just feel like the the 4k and 25 TD mark (with 2:1 TD/INT ratio) would shut us all up and bring a general buy-in for the kid.

What you described, lets say 3200, 20:10, would keep the fanbase divided but probably keep the Jets organization believing for at least one more year.

Agree about 45 attempts.  I would be surprised if that happens. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

In terms of stats yes. Mac had a good year. But he didn’t show he can attack all levels of the field. Didn't show it this year either. That’s why some doubt his ability.

That’s why I also need to see Zach attack defenses at all levels in order to be excited moving forward. He needs to pass the eye test as well. Hard to quantify that though.

I agree regard Mac and stats. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. What I want is competent modern-day NFL QB play.  ~64% Comp. %, ~250 Passing Yards, and a 2:1 to better TD:INT ratio.

• 15 QB's currently have a Comp. % of 64% or higher (often much higher)
  • 16 QB's currently have a YPG of 250 or higher (several much higher, over 300).
  • 17 QB's currently have a TD:INT ratio of 2:1 or better.

2. What I expect is for him to play poorly.  <59% Comp. %, <200 Passing Yards, and a =<1:1 TD:INT ratio

With that said, he could very easily prove my "game 1" expectations for him wrong.  It's all in his hands.

I hope he has a monster game, I loathe the Steelers domination of us, and want to beat them VERY badly.

You are expecting pretty much no improvement from last year?

I think you will be wrong.  

the only good thing about your scenario we know we need a new qb

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s going to get sacked a lot and be generally ineffective otherwise. Brutal schedule ahead, especially defensively, and his OL is a mess. Related: post your favorite memories of Garrett Wilson’s Jets career, because it’s going into cold storage for the next few months. 

Already making excuses for Zach, unbelievable 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Allen Yards/Attempt were bottom 3rd last year.  His completion percentage was Bottom third last year.  Now here's where he's an outlier.  36 TD passes and 6 rushing TD's.  He also rushed for 764 yards at a rate of 6.3 per attempt with 6 rushing TD's.  

Allen is a football player who breaks down defenses with a lot more than his accurate passing.  I don't think Zach is going to break down defenses like Josh Allen.  If he throws in the 30's for TD's with a TD/INT ratio of 2.4 I would be very happy.  If he's throwing for 15TD's with the same ratio and the O sucks very different story.   TD to INT ratio is a very tricky stat.  I love Yards per attempt because you can have a less accurate QB moving the team the same distance or further down the field per attempt if he's average Yards per attempt are above average.   It's also likely that short completions add to completion percentage but doesn't necessarily move the team down the field.

I think comparing Allen or Lamar or the midget in AZ to an NFL QB that we hope Zach to be isn't very practical.    Zach is hopefully an in the pocket passer who can get outside and create but isn't a running QB who's taking on the front 7 on a regular basis.

My hope is Zach is more like Dan Marino or Aaron Rodgers.   No I'm not kidding.  

I hear you and I agree with everything you wrote about Allen. 

But the three benchmarks I laid out would be huge improvements for Zach and are all attainable. Also, note that they are absolute minimums. I’m hoping he breaks a couple of them easily.

I also agree with your assessment of Wilson. I’m just hoping he can process fast enough to be half as good as either of those guys  

One word.  BUST

Look at the way Lawrence is playing now.  Remember the meltdown I had when the Jets won two games they should have tanked to get Trevor ??? 

Now the Jags have the best QB in the draft, and we got a bust with Wilson who I insisted was going to be a dud in the NFL

My meltdown was well founded. 

• Thumb Down 1

So here is my few cents and it won't be about stats. I think Zach needs to relax and mature.

My 19-year-old son recently put a really good band together and he's the lead singer now. He called me the night before their first gig and asked me for advice. I said guys your age want to play as fast as they can and as loud as they can and sing the high notes as much as possible.

But where do you go from there? I said you need to space those high notes out dude and you need to showcase the players and what they can do as this will make all of you look better as a band.

I think Zach Wilson just needs to find poise. He needs to relax and take a deep breath and get in his rhythm. He needs to let his players play and he'll know when to hit the high notes. That's my take~

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

One word.  BUST

Look at the way Lawrence is playing now.  Remember the meltdown I had when the Jets won two games they should have tanked to get Trevor ??? 

Now the Jags have the best QB in the draft, and we got a bust with Wilson who I insisted was going to be a dud in the NFL

You and @Gastineau Lives both!

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s going to get sacked a lot and be generally ineffective otherwise. Brutal schedule ahead, especially defensively, and his OL is a mess. Related: post your favorite memories of Garrett Wilson’s Jets career, because it’s going into cold storage for the next few months. 

After the Steelers and Dolphins he has 5 straight games against a top 10 defence.  

If he hasn't improved there is gonna be nowhere to hide. Could get brutal. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

So here is my few cents and it won't be about stats. I think Zach needs to relax and mature.

My 19-year-old son recently put a really good band together and he's the lead singer now. He called me the night before their first gig and asked me for advice. I said guys your age want to play as fast as they can and as loud as they can and sing the high notes as much as possible.

But where do you go from there? I said you need to space those high notes out dude and you need to showcase the players and what they can do as this will make all of you look better as a band.

I think Zach Wilson just needs to find poise. He needs to relax and take a deep breath and get in his rhythm. He needs to let his players play and he'll know when to hit the high notes. That's my take~

Zach Wilson’s favorite singer is hillbilly Morgan Wallen, who is the Nickelback version of Billy Ray Cyrus.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, batman10023 said:

so, let's assume that Zach plays the remaining games - assume no injuries.

i'd be interested to see 

1) what do folks want from him  (yards, td/int (ratio or absolute), completion percentage, etc) to say he's the guy and not pick up a new QB next year?

2) what do folks expect him to do.

i haven't seen a thread specifically addressing this question.  

Dude, this has only been asked hundreds  of times here already. 

17 hours ago, batman10023 said:

so, let's assume that Zach plays the remaining games - assume no injuries.

i'd be interested to see 

1) what do folks want from him  (yards, td/int (ratio or absolute), completion percentage, etc) to say he's the guy and not pick up a new QB next year?

2) what do folks expect him to do.

i haven't seen a thread specifically addressing this question.  

Unless he completely bombs (and I don't think he will) the Jets will not be looking for a QB next year.

I think with the "Weaponz" he has right now he could be somewhere in 15 to 20 range in QB's. 

Gonna wait and see how it plays it out and decide at the end of year. I cannot handle this game by game, play by play state of the union address that we seem to get from alot of folks here.

I dont expect miracles, any thought that he is going to be a top 10 QB this year is not realistic. I think the hope is he can stay healthy, shows he can improve on his accuracy, command the offense, and find the open receiver. I'd like to see more TD's than int's, and him run a competent offense with good accuracy, that would be good improvement over last year

11 hours ago, THE BARON said:

One word.  BUST

players don't tank.

19 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Unless he completely bombs (and I don't think he will) the Jets will not be looking for a QB next year.

I think with the "Weaponz" he has right now he could be somewhere in 15 to 20 range in QB's. 

Gonna wait and see how it plays it out and decide at the end of year. I cannot handle this game by game, play by play state of the union address that we seem to get from alot of folks here.

what is your definition of 15-20 qb?

13 hours ago, batman10023 said:

You are expecting pretty much no improvement from last year?

I expect minor/insignificant improvement, yes.

I think you will be wrong.  

I very much hope so!

the only good thing about your scenario we know we need a new qb

Well, I keep getting told that 2022 isn't about winning games, it's about "seeing what we got in Zach".

So yes, seeing what we got in him WOULD be a good thing, if the entire year is just about that.

11 hours ago, THE BARON said:

One word.  BUST

I'm assuming this is parody?

5 hours ago, TommyT said:

To be a top 15 qb.

At least, I mentioned this in another thread, when you look around the league at who's starting, it's really not a high bar at all.  Trubisky, Geno, Brissett, Mayfield, Winston, Marriota, Wentz, Mills, Jones/Hoyer, Fields, Goff, Jones, Tannehill, Cousins - I sure AF hope he's better than these dweebs and that's almost half the league. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

At least, I mentioned this in another thread, when you look around the league at who's starting, it's really not a high bar at all.  Trubisky, Geno, Brissett, Mayfield, Winston, Marriota, Wentz, Mills, Jones/Hoyer, Fields, Goff, Jones, Tannehill, Cousins - I sure AF hope he's better than these dweebs and that's almost half the league. 

That is a good point, but if he plays as well as Kirk Cousins most of the board will be looking to extend him at $100M per.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is a good point, but if he plays as well as Kirk Cousins most of the board will be looking to extend him at $100M per.

haha, for sure and I kind of why I threw him and Tannehill in there.  Kind of as what I hope he's better than but yeah, if he's in that range with those dudes, I think we'd all be pretty happy. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Warfish

Over the last 8 seasons (Including 2022 so far), Cousins averages:

23 for 35 per game, 67.5% Comp., 266 Passing YPG, with 1.84 TD to 0.66 INT per game (close to 3:1 ratio).

Yes, I would very much like a QB who produces those kinds of numbers.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, shawn306 said:

The Jets will be looking for a QB next year.