<<<<<<< Jets vs Packers -- The Official Game Thread >>>>>>>

Maxman

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Something to watch: one of the big stories in Green Bay is how their DC is mis-using their secondary, but apparently that‘s changing this week. 

“When they are aggressive they are good when they are passive they are bad. But they have been constantly passive all season long. But according to Barry that will all change Sunday against the Jets.

And according to Alexander everyone is on the same page. “There’s a level of respect that we have for each other — players to coaches, coaches to coaches and player to player. So, when you have that level of respect, you should be able to speak how you feel and have a conversation about it, which there was. And moving forward, I think the game plan is really good.”

Rasul Douglas couldn’t be more on board. “I think we’ve got the secondary to do it.”Douglas said, while also emphasizing the importance keeping the offense guessing. “You have to be able to mix and match both of them. I know sometimes I like pressing but sometimes I like being off, seeing the quarterback, seeing the receiver. It’s whatever you feel for the game or how the game’s going and what routes you’re seeing.”

The proof, however will be in the pudding. And the pastry chef is still Joe Barry. This week we’ve heard the correct words from Barry and his players but now we are going to have to see the correct execution.

The New York Jets are the perfect opportunity to get right from an aggression standpoint. Zach Wilson currently ranks last in the league in terms of passer rating against blitz. Not only does Barry need to bring the pressure but he needs to have his cornerbacks up on the line of scrimmage to take advantage of that pressure. They can’t allow Wilson to use quick and easy hot routes all day or this weeks post game comments from Jaire will make last weeks look like a Hallmark card.

I think we have the edge in WR and DBs.

I could see a reversal of the Miami defense where we pack the box and play tight coverage with our corners.

If they do the same our WRs need to win their one on ones and Zac needs to be decisive.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Where Zach has shown improvement is in getting the ball out against zone coverages, where his arm strength helps him. Where he still struggles is against man to man and the blitz, and it would appear—according to that article—as though Green Bay is going to just line up in press man and see if Zach can beat them. If he can, it’s the thing we need to see if Zach is ever going to be a viable long-term starter in this league. If he goes out there and the Packers kick his ass, it’s problems. Agree on the reverse side—Sauce and Reed should have no problems with the Packers receivers.

Don’t underestimate the man who only chooses 40 and over women 

669A975E-ABDA-4D41-9942-33BBCD3AE90A.jpeg

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Packers need this win to save their season and they see the Jets as a get-right game. The Jets, meanwhile, are riding high on vibes and could make a mess of it, which will give them a chance. Ultimately, I think we get a lot of Aaron Jones and Randall Cobb running free down the middle of the field against our LBs and safeties. The Jets D got fat on Trubisky/Pickett/Skylar Thompson, and now they get to the full opposite end of the QB spectrum and eat sh*t.

Could easily happen the way you say.  And while I know I should have learned my lesson by now to not get my hopes up about this team, I can't help but be hopeful about today's game.  It's not necessarily only about getting the W today.  I'm just buying in that we're going to play well.  And I have to admit that I'm hoping (and optimistic enough about this team right now to believe it might happen) that this will be a breakout game for ZW and the team in general.

Today will be very interesting.  Or it'll be SOJ - lol.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Where Zach has shown improvement is in getting the ball out against zone coverages, where his arm strength helps him. Where he still struggles is against man to man and the blitz, and it would appear—according to that article—as though Green Bay is going to just line up in press man and see if Zach can beat them. If he can, it’s the thing we need to see if Zach is ever going to be a viable long-term starter in this league. If he goes out there and the Packers kick his ass, it’s problems. Agree on the reverse side—Sauce and Reed should have no problems with the Packers receivers.

Good!  Bring on the real tests.  Let's see what we have (or don't have) in Zach.  That's mainly what this season is about.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Where Zach has shown improvement is in getting the ball out against zone coverages, where his arm strength helps him. Where he still struggles is against man to man and the blitz...Green Bay is going to just line up in press man and see if Zach can beat them...if Zach is ever going to be a viable long-term starter in this league. If he goes out there and the Packers kick his ass, it’s problems. Agree on the reverse side—Sauce and Reed should have no problems with the Packers receivers.

Except for the bold this is actually a pretty good post.  Zack has been progressing so even if he fails today there is still the expectation in my mind that long term he will continue to improve his game.  Go Jets!   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The New York Jets are the perfect opportunity to get right from an aggression standpoint. Zach Wilson currently ranks last in the league in terms of passer rating against blitz.

I know this is your favorite stat and all, but he’s only played two games so far this season, and in the first one he was pressured on 2/3’s of his attempts. Many of those attempts were miraculous sack escapes just to throw the ball away. We’ll see how that looks as the season wears on. 

Week five marks the first time the Jets are starting the same five OL two weeks in a row, and this group looked pretty good last week. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I know this is your favorite stat and all, but he’s only played two games so far this season, and in the first one he was pressured on 2/3’s of his attempts. Many of those attempts were miraculous sack escapes just to throw the ball away. We’ll see how that looks as the season wears on. 

Week five marks the first time the Jets are starting the same five OL two weeks in a row, and this group looked pretty good last week. 

He’s been last in that metric from the second he’s taken the field as a pro.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m aware of the stat and the context. You seem to only be aware of the stat. I feel like our little man is starting to grow up. 

• Upvote 4

Jets will need to be flawless today in all 3 phases. 

Offense should be able to move the football.  No 3 and outs.  No self inflicted wounds.  

Defense must get off the field on 3rd down. 

And special teams will need to contribute. When's the last time they returned one to the house ?  Today would be good time for that. 

Jets win in a close one !

1 minute ago, Larz said:

He currently has a 92 pff rating with a clean pocket so maybe you should be talking about protecting him?

Hang on, I’ll cc you on this one

Dear NFL,

Please stop rushing the passer against the Jets so Zach Wilson can put up a 92 PFF grade. I realize that all NFL QBs have to deal with pass rushers, but if you can make this one exception, it would make my close personal friend @Larz very happy. LMK

All the best,

Tom Shane

• Haha 4

Hang on, I’ll cc you on this one

Dear NFL,

Please stop rushing the passer against the Jets so Zach Wilson can put up a 92 PFF grade. I realize that all NFL QBs have to deal with pass rushers, but if you can make this one exception, it would make my close personal friend @Larz very happy. LMK

All the best,

Tom Shane

You’re like the winter warlock with a few burnt candles lol

• Haha 1

The context is literally his entire career. 

The context requires an essay discussing rookie coaches, new schemes, a small school rookie QB, and a plethora of injury. I’m not up for it right now. Like I said, we’ll see how that goes. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

He currently has a 92 pff rating (2nd in NFL ) with a clean pocket so maybe you should be talking about protecting him?

I went and looked it up. Here’s the chart showing the disparity in Zach’s play between clean pocket v pressure. Interesting stuff showing the difference between QBs who can narrow the divide and those who haven’t.

21EB4CCE-FD97-4786-9CDA-DDBB3560461D.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rldev said:

A must win? Surely you can't be serious, they were 3-1.

They have a loss in division and are now 2 and 2 in the confrence.  They are going to be in a lot of tie breakers that may not favor them if they don't win their division.  The Packers are a mediocre border line playoff team in a mediocre league.  Losses in confrence on a nutural field to a team that the supposedly outclass at almost every position is a very bad sign.   The Giants are one of the few teams last week who's WR group was actually worse than the Packers.  

Another big challenge for our Offense. Miami blitz us 50% of the time and I expect GB to do the same considering their coach said they’ll be aggressive. If Zach can, in back to back games, look comfortable against the blitz, that’ll be a step closer to proving he is a FQB.

Rodgers is Rodgers. I think he’ll find a groove and score points.

Still going Jets. 30-24

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Last week was supposed to be the “let down game” and it didn’t happen.  I think this team has too much fun talent to get completely destroyed out there. 

But that was Skylar Thompson and this is Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau so what do I know.  

I hope we’ve finally crossed the bridge where we don’t get destroyed every couple of games. I think we have . . . maybe.  It’s just that the defense was so horrible in some games last year that it’s hard to completely trust the change around.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Only because at BYU his O line was made up of 28 year old mountain men with 4-6 kids each, full beards and of Samoan descent. For the most part he saw real pressure for first time at the NFL level. Cost him about 3-4 games a season so far, simply not built for the NFL game. A lot like Jamal Adams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I'm hoping Rodgers and the Pack are thinking the Jets just got lucky so far, that they're not very good, and they're grossly underestimating them, expecting to blow them out.  The element of shock will throw them off they're game, and we'll actually come out of this with s 'W'.  LGJ!!!

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

At Lambeau. Excited for the game. There have been a ton of opportunities for SOJs and so far they have turned that on its head. In terms of the aggressive secondary, Wilson can destroy that. Look for a big game from him.

20221016_083723.jpg

Enjoy the bleachers.  

Hopefully you don't have a giant fatty taking up half your space like I did last time I went there.