Why any negativity?

37 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Have you watched the QB play around the league? News flash: ALOT of QBs are struggling big time, actually most of them are. So yes Zach is struggling but I think he’ll be fine long run. Hes not turning the ball over and he’s coming into his own. But when you say “bring in someone to compete with him”. Who the heck do you think will be available lol? Maybe Sam Darnold. 

QB aside the team is doing great. Looks like it could be the best defense in the NFL

Lamar Jackson….120 yards passing today…cut him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shelbyblue said:

The Jets are 5-2 best record in years, already won more in a year when all they expected was to be somewhat competitive. Zach is where he should be in year 2 not loosing games by foolishness, he’s not supposed to be great yet this was his first year in games completed . Defense is light years from last year. Remember most of us signed up for 7 wins and tight loses, Denver is a top 5 defense let the kid continue to learn not to loose then he will learn how to win.

Vegas set the O/U on Jet Wins the season at 5 1/2, 1 more victory in the next 10 games the Jets make their billions of dollars worth of computers look stupid.

Just enjoy watching this very young team gel and learn this year.  

NEWSFLASH…they’re Not winning the Super Bowl this year, but that’s ok, they’re “punching well above their weight class” this year, and for the most part are enjoyable to watch, especially Breece Hall was.  4 weeks ago, many wanted the team moved to England.  Now the same people want a deep playoff run.

The rest of the year should be seen as to whether Wilson can be The Guy.  He should look much better when he doesn’t have the NFL’s Top Rated D’s getting Free Rushers in on him virtually Every play.  Not making excuses for his play today.  For the most part…brutal.

Jets report card: Robert Saleh kept this from falling apart

Brian Costello

Grading the Jets’ 16-9 road win over the Broncos on Sunday. 

Offense

The offense did not do much in this game but I am marking them up for not turning the ball over and coming up with the explosive play that they needed. Rookie RB Breece Hall (four carries, 72 yards, 1 TD) had a 62-yard touchdown before leaving with a knee injury, which is believed to be a torn ACL. Other than that, the offense did not do much. QB Zach Wilson (16 of 26, 121 yards, 72.8 QB rating, 4 rushes, 24 yards) was underwhelming again but managed not to turn the ball over despite several close calls. The offensive line struggled against a tough Broncos front.

Grade C

Robert Saleh hugs Nathaniel Hackett after the Jets beat the Broncos on Sunday. Getty Images

Defense

We’re grading them on a slight curve since the Broncos were playing with backup QB Brett Rypien (24 of 46, 225 yards, 1 INT, 56.9 QB rating). The coverage was strong but the Jets did not get to Rypien as much as you would expect. The Broncos ran for 105 yards but did not have a run longer than 15 yards. CB Sauce Gardner (10 tackles, 3 passes defensed) was terrific again and made a huge pass breakup on fourth down in the fourth quarter. CB D.J. Reed (8 tackles, 3 passes defensed) was also strong.

Grade: B+

Special Teams

Punter Braden Mann was busy and he had several good punts. He punted eight times and averaged 54.8 yards per punt and pinned two inside the 20. Kicker Greg Zuerlein made all three of his field-goal attempts in this game where points were at a premium. Justin Hardee and Brandin Echols continue to excel in kick coverage.

Grade: A

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In the last few days:

Elijah moore demanded  a trade

AVT hurt

C Davis Hurt

Breece out for the year. 

I think there are some decent grounds for some negativity, but all of that is much easier to stomach with a 5-2 record and an elite defense/special teams. If Wilson can turn a corner one of these weeks.......

AVT injury actually more important 

So you watched this offense once Breece went out and you are questioning how there could be any negativity?

We have the worst passing offense in the nfl and just lost our best players.  And our next 3 games are against very tough football teams.

Did you see Saleh in the post game press conference?  Its defcon 5 now that Hall is out.  

To ask how fans can be concerned after todays performance and what happened to Hall is silly.  I wanted to poke my eyes out watching this offense for 3 quarters.  

• Upvote 1

It’s really weird that some fans of this team complain about how the Jets win games, after a decade of losing. I could care less about what this team looks like as long as we are winning. The real question to me is do we finally have a competent coaching staff? I was not a Saleh fan early this season, but 4 straight wins is impressive.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BloodGreen said:

It’s really weird that some fans of this team complain about how the Jets win games, after a decade of losing. I could care less about what this team looks like as long as we are winning. The real question to me is do we finally have a competent coaching staff? I was not a Saleh fan early this season, but 4 straight wins is impressive.

So we’re supposed to take whatever meager bit of success we get just because the franchise sucks?

Nah.  Not how any of this should work. 

• Upvote 1

I personally think Zach Wilson is a Carson Wentz/Baker Mayfield/Sam Darnold level talent. He's really quite bad, and much of the time, our OL is still porous.

We have beaten:

-Trubisky/Pickett

-3rd stringer in Miami

-Jacoby Brissett

-Sleepwalking Aaron Rodgers

-Marc Rypien

Our only offensive weapon (Garrett Wilson is meh at best) Breece Hall, is out for the year. Add to other brutal injuries, and we are the same cursed franchise as ever. But with a 5-2 record? Hell yeah. Wins are wins. It's a good time. I would just keep expectations, very, very low. We still don't have the roster right and the Bills are awesome.

• Upvote 2

So we’re supposed to take whatever meager bit of success we get just because the franchise sucks?
Nah.  Not how any of this should work. 

I don’t know that I would classify 4 straight wins in the NFL as “meager success” but I get your point. My feeling is simply that we haven’t seen this level of success in quite some time. After a decade of dissecting why we lost, I just think it’s a little strange to flip to lamenting how we won?

3 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

I don’t know that I would classify 4 straight wins in the NFL as “meager success” but I get your point. My feeling is simply that we haven’t seen this level of success in quite some time. After a decade of dissecting why we lost, I just think it’s a little strange to flip to lamenting how we won?

Given that I think we’re headed for 5-5 by next month, largely due to the QB deficiency, it’ll prove to be meager.  Steal a win in any of the next 3 and I’ll adjust my thinking.  

• Upvote 1

Given that I think we’re headed for 5-5 by next month, it’ll prove to be meager.  Steal a win in any of the next 3 and I’ll adjust my thinking.  

From what I’ve seen this far, there is actually a chance that could happen. That is way more than what my expectations were coming in.

2 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

From what I’ve seen this far, there is actually a chance that could happen. That is way more than what my expectations were coming in.

With heightened expectations comes more demands.  No one really expected the ‘09 Jets to be a SB contender.  But suddenly they were one.  Alas, the QB held us back. 

Better to have critical fans than apathetic ones.  Apathy was in full force from 2016-2021.

• Upvote 2

Apathy is lack of emotion, higher expectations don’t equate to an apethectic attitude. I think the Jets are a good team, and whether they win because of solid defensive , offensive or special teams performance, so be it. This is no doubt in my mind a team on the rise, and the coaching staff has acquitted themselves well. May not be on a SB trajectory, but definitely playing good NFL football, and I like it! Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Jets just won a game against a top 5 defense. That has to count for something.

5 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Apathy is lack of emotion, higher expectations don’t equate to an apethectic attitude. I think the Jets are a good team, and whether they win because of solid defensive , offensive or special teams performance, so be it. This is no doubt in my mind a team on the rise, and the coaching staff has acquitted themselves well. May not be on a SB trajectory, but definitely playing good NFL football, and I like it! Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Jets just won a game against a top 5 defense. That has to count for something.

Fully agreed.  Thought I made that clear in my post.  

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Here are some more positives from today's game:

1. The Jets scored first and had the lead for the entire game except for a few minutes in the 2nd half until the go ahead FG.

2. Thanks to the D, Jets scored 9 unanswered points against a good defense.

3. In the thin air in Denver, both the offense and the defense got stronger in the second half, and that is with our best lineman, rb, and wr out of the game.

4. The SOJ would have found a way to lose this game

Good post.  I'm as concerned and disheartened as anyone by the 3 injuries we suffered today but we played well enough to win AFTER they left the game.  Why can't we continue to play well?  Next man up after a full week of preparation!  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

Zach is where he should be in year 2 not loosing games by foolishness, he’s not supposed to be great yet this was his first year in games completed .

I’m happy as sh*t we are 5-2 but Zach now has played a complete NFL season. He needs to be better then a game manager when you are the number 2 pick overall. 

Not sure if it’s negativity on some posters point but rather a deep  concern  about Zach play. Now I get he was hamstrung by poor blocking along the o line Hall going down but on the few times he did have time to set and throw he just doesn’t deliver a ball that hits receivers in stride and that is cause for concern as it’s nothing new   He really need to improve on that because as much as I was holding out hope he would start to get better and become not even a franchise QB but one where I don’t cringe whenever he drops back to pass he truly hasn’t and that is alarming because this team has playoff contender status with just average QB play. Here’s hoping he is able to improve as he has a great arm but dam , confidence is waning at this point 

The elite playmaker of the offense just died for the year and the quarterback can barely complete a forward pass, and when he does his receivers are bailing him out because of his inaccuracy. The positive things about him is he’s elusive and he’s avoiding the killer mistake because otherwise it’s not great. The passing stats prove it themselves. 

All before three tough divisional games. i’m happy that they won, but it’s insane to ask why people aren’t just ecstatic about the record. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Where did you read Breece is dine for the year? I'm trying to be positive that we just didn't  have a career changing injury here. ACL injuries can be bad but sometimes they  are just a regular sprain. 

Even a complete blowout is usually fully recoverable after a year. Garrison Hearst blew both his knees out and came back as strong as ever.

4 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The elite playmaker of the offense just died for the year and the quarterback can barely complete a forward pass, and when he does his receivers are bailing him out because of his inaccuracy. The positive things about him is he’s elusive and he’s avoiding the killer mistake because otherwise it’s not great. The passing stats prove it themselves. 

All before three tough divisional games. i’m happy that they won, but it’s insane to ask why people aren’t just ecstatic about the record. 

Barring the animosity I agree with most of this ... Zach is slippery like a salamander. But we dont want to see that Zach unless all else has broken down.  His headless chicken act is a direct result of poor coaching.   Coaches saying ..just be Zach ... guess what .. that is not coaching.   He should be coached to play from the pocket on a solid platform unless the game is on the line and he NEEDS to be the hero.  

Oh yeah .. and a friendly reminder ... Zach is 4-0 in 2022.

Edited by Dunnie

11 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

The Jets are 5-2 best record in years, already won more in a year when all they expected was to be somewhat competitive. Zach is where he should be in year 2 not loosing games by foolishness, he’s not supposed to be great yet this was his first year in games completed . Defense is light years from last year. Remember most of us signed up for 7 wins and tight loses, Denver is a top 5 defense let the kid continue to learn not to loose then he will learn how to win.

We haven't gotten to 7 wins yet.  Why all the positivity?  

Without Breece, the way we are winning is not sustainable.  You cannot beat good teams like the Pats and Bills w/ no passing game.

Michael Carter is no Breece Hall and Zachs 2 drives vs Pitts is a distant memory.

This can all be squashed if Zach goes for 270 yards 3 tds 1 int vs New England.

But we are not going to beat a good football team w/ the way we are playing right now w/o breece hall.  He was the key to winning this way.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

3. In the thin air in Denver, both the offense and the defense got stronger in the second half, and that is with our best lineman, rb, and wr out of the game.

4. The SOJ would have found a way to lose this game

these points are really something to grab onto ... thanks for reminding us ... 

• Upvote 1