Zach Wilson - Positive Vibes Only Thread

JETS SB

6 hours ago, PorP said:

Yup. Thing is, if you have watched interviews these last few weeks, every offensive player, when asked about Zach, have said how much of a leader he is, how much confidence he has and brings to the rest of the offense, and CJ and the rest of the offense said it best… “We win 4 games in a row and the world is still burning”. “We are winning because our defense plays ridiculous, we run the ball, and Zach hits screens and short passes perfectly for YAC, but everyone keeps saying he can’t throw the ball downfield. We don’t have to when we are winning this way”. “Possible big loss and bad plays turn into throw aways by Zach and we don’t beat ourselves with turnovers. Goes down as an incompletion but we all know what he did right there. He saved us the game. Doesn’t go down on the stat sheet, and maybe the fans don’t see it, but we do.” Just some of the quotes from the team. But he only throws for 260 yards in the past two games, against two of the top defenses in the NFL, so he must suck. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:28 PM, fullblast said:

Some wild numbers

Not having reviewed any film, it does seem that Zach throws the ball away a ton when he’s pressured (after scrambling 15 yards backwards), which definitely contributes to the low completion % and YPA. Those in the know say performance in a clean pocket is the better indicator for success, so maybe a silver lining to be had here.

I heard that as of this week he is the #1 Rated Passer in the NFL throwing from a Clean Pocket.

#1….you don’t disparage that due to play outside the pocket after Only 17 games in the league, which isn’t even that bad because he’s mostly looking to not get wrecked by a untouched rusher and throw the ball away without turning it over…..what you do in this situation is to try to create as many situations as possible where Wilson is throwing from a Clean Pocket where he now completes close to 80% of his passes.

You Also don’t disparage 4-0, with 3 of those being Road Wins in Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and Denver……”easy” places to play right?

• Upvote 1

He’s not the only NFL Qb to be confused by the NEP D esp a vet player like McCourtey. Vets and non vet QBs have probs with that defense we all know that. There were other factors too. No Breece Hall and they had Stevenson who is a good power back. And that roughing the passer call on that apparent pick 6. Plus Nick Folk. But 3 picks isn’t ok. 

I now see Zach as a long term project. That said unless the next guy is is significantly better (not marginally) he should keep starting.  If he does get benched don't trade him or cut him, keep him as a project. Hopefully if he needs a few years to get it together it'll be Drew Bree years and not Geno years.

Frustrating game. No, Zach didnt play well. But comments putting this entire game on him, are absurd. The JFM penalty changed this game entirely. I saw it when it happened and looked at my son and sat back down in my seat. Michael Carter pick 6 goes to waste. 17-3 going into halftime and we don't need Zach to throw 41 times. And on that note, why are we running the ball only 15 times the entire game? Makes no sense at all. Special teams were terrible. Play calling was terrible. The defense was good, for the most part, but gave up huge chunks on the ground and on short passes and 3rd downs. Linebackers had a terrible game tackling. Secondary and the D-Line were good other than the stupid penalty.

As far as Zach, I haven't seen comments from other threads as I refuse to read the same thing over and over. I was there. He had a poor game overall. No doubt. 2 of the 3 INTs were awful. He did flash some very good plays, but not good enough.  

Positives moving forward for Zach -

1) Connecting with Garrett Wilson for several connections is a hopeful sign moving forward. Garrett Wilson is our best offensive player (that isnt hurt) Hoping that connection is a big part of the offense moving forward. Finding Conklin is also big, in the red zone. Some chemistry building for the future.

2) Have to think that Denzel Mims is an option moving forward. Not just on his catches, but he was open many other times and once that is noticed on film (I really dont think he was the 1st or 2nd read on any of those plays), his talent will be on display. We need to get him more involved. I could care less about Elijah Moore. Even when he was on the field today, he didnt want to be there. He is never open, he is too small, and he can't block. Trade him for a 3rd or OL help, and move on. We have more than enough talent at that position and who want to play for this team. Once that cancer is off the team, we can all be on the same page. He needs to be traded. Keep Mims. His skillset is much harder to find.

3) The OC needs to call plays for Zach, to enhance his strengths, not expose his weaknesses. Quick throws from the pocket, screen plays, designed QB run plays, need to be part of the offense moving forward, and we need to run the ball a lot more. No reason to throw the ball 41 times today and run 15 times. Did they learn nothing from the Bears win over NE? I am not saying Zach can run like Justin Fields, but the Bears exposed a weakness in the Pats that we could have taken advantage of and didn't. Zach is at fault there as well, for not improvising some of those scrambles into running plays. Hopefully he can learn from that and take some yards running the ball instead of just looking to throw the ball away.

4) James Robinson wasnt featured a lot today understandably, but he has good ball catching skills and having both him and Carter on the field, will allow for more short options for Zach, along with the TEs.

5) We hopefully get some O Line help at the deadline. The line was not good today. At all. We all know that Zach can do from a clean pocket.

See y'all next week. I am guessing that half you guys dont even go to games. Thats fine. Not everyone has that ability. But repeating what you hear from commentators and twitter and being there, are two different things completely. The GIGANTIC change of emotions in the stadium, after the pick 6 penalty, changed that game. You dont know the extent of what I am talking about, unless you were there.

On a side note, a drunk group of Pats fans, after the game, walking out of the stadium, came up to my son and I, and were screaming in his face. My son is 17. One of the guys said to him "we beat your ass. How does that feel loser?" My son went right in his face and said, "yeah I was there, whats your record again? Oh wait, the alcohol goes straight to the brain. you have no f'n clue". The entire group of Pats fans were quiet. The Jets fans around us rallied behind my son. Was a proud happy moment for me, on an otherwise crappy day.

• Thumb Down 1

People can no longer say the Jets only beat bad teams or backup QBs. Zach was efficient, made the necessary throws, and led the team, losing 14-3, on probably the most important drive in the game, to bring the game to 14-10. didn’t try to do too much and was 5-6 on the drive including the TD. 

Then on the 13 play drive to win the game. I don’t see this mentioned anywhere, but if you notice that 4 or 5 of those run plays on that final drive were RPOs. If Zach was what all of his haters claim he is, he would have tried to play hero ball and pulled back some of those runs and tried to throw the ball. But it was his choice, on several of those plays, to continue to run the ball because it was working. Then of course the laser to Mims that made the Bills use all of their timeouts. And taking the sack instead of trying to be hero, was big as well.

Everyone kills him for making bad decisions, but I don’t think he made a bad decision yesterday (Von Miller sack fumble wasn’t good , but sometimes great players beat you) and playing against the supposed best defense in the NFL, that says something about the kid. 

11 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

My 9 year old son is better at rankings than CBS. Zach is easily better than 4 or 5 of the guys in that list ahead of him. Winning games means nothing, I guess.

My positive take on Zach is this ....Once he learns to throw the ball with better touch and accuracy he will be very hard to defend against . I do not think the game has slowed down for him yet he still plays nervous in the pocket  . He's an instinct guy IMHO and that wont kick in until he really gets a grasp of everything going on around him. If he can get past this I think he can become Elite but it wont be easy.

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, JETS SB said:

People can no longer say the Jets only beat bad teams or backup QBs. Zach was efficient, made the necessary throws, and led the team, losing 14-3, on probably the most important drive in the game, to bring the game to 14-10. didn’t try to do too much and was 5-6 on the drive including the TD. 

Then on the 13 play drive to win the game. I don’t see this mentioned anywhere, but if you notice that 4 or 5 of those run plays on that final drive were RPOs. If Zach was what all of his haters claim he is, he would have tried to play hero ball and pulled back some of those runs and tried to throw the ball. But it was his choice, on several of those plays, to continue to run the ball because it was working. Then of course the laser to Mims that made the Bills use all of their timeouts. And taking the sack instead of trying to be hero, was big as well.

Everyone kills him for making bad decisions, but I don’t think he made a bad decision yesterday (Von Miller sack fumble wasn’t good , but sometimes great players beat you) and playing against the supposed best defense in the NFL, that says something about the kid. 

I get what you're saying here but when youre running the ball down a teams throat and they have no answer for it you keep running and don't think for a second LeFleur was not making that clear to Zach when he was sending in the plays.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

My positive take on Zach is this ....Once he learns to throw the ball with better touch and accuracy he will be very hard to defend against . I do not think the game has slowed down for him yet he still plays nervous in the pocket  . He's an instinct guy IMHO and that wont kick in until he really gets a grasp of everything going on around him. If he can get past this I think he can become Elite but it wont be easy.

I think he’s Darnold and Sanchez 3.0. He’s inaccurate and he is too turnover prone. He’s just not a good QB right now. Maybe he gets better, but I am skeptical given the other guys never got better (aside from Geno 10 years later). 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Mario said:

I think he’s Darnold and Sanchez 2.0. He’s inaccurate and he is too turnover prone. He’s just not a good QB right now. Maybe he gets better, but I am skeptical given the other guys never got better (aside from Geno 10 years later). 

he's gone 9 out of his last 11 games with no interceptions.  wtf is this "turnover prone" comment from?

not saying he's going to be good or that his accuracy needs to improve.

• Upvote 1

Admittedly not my favorite stat, but I was a little surprised to see Zach at #21 in the league right now in QBR. That puts him just below Cousins and Dalton, and ahead of Murray and Garoppolo. Nothing to scream from the rafters, but a lot better than the worst QB in the league stuff we generally get to enjoy around here. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing.htm

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Admittedly not my favorite stat, but I was a little surprised to see Zach at #21 in the league right now in QBR. That puts him just below Cousins and Dalton, and ahead of Murray and Garoppolo. Nothing to scream from the rafters, but a lot better than the worst QB in the league stuff we generally get to enjoy around here. 

The goal is 15th by the end of the season. Top half of the league. I believe that is attainable. 

Mac Jones 33rd and Baker last!

@jgb

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

he's gone 9 out of his last 11 games with no interceptions.  wtf is this "turnover prone" comment from?

not saying he's going to be good or that his accuracy needs to improve.

Per PFF his turnover worthy play % is 2nd worst. That’s not good given the offense has been mostly conservative. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

PFF and DVOA  has him as one of the worst. 

3 hours ago, Mario said:

I think he’s Darnold and Sanchez 3.0. He’s inaccurate and he is too turnover prone. He’s just not a good QB right now. Maybe he gets better, but I am skeptical given the other guys never got better (aside from Geno 10 years later). 

4 out of 5 games this year and 9 out of 11 without an INT. Your logic is terrible. At least say something that is true. 

3 hours ago, Mario said:

Per PFF his turnover worthy play % is 2nd worst. That’s not good given the offense has been mostly conservative. 

PFF is garbage. So many other threads to share your negative trash comments. At least come up with something that is legitimate. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting film breakdown. I wanted to see an All 22 on that deep shot to Mims. It looked to be a pretty decent ball. 

I have no idea if Zach Wilson throws a good deep ball because he never throws it. I saw enough from Darnold to know he was terrible at it, but how many have we seen from Zach? 

He hit that one to Corey Davis in GB. It was under thrown, but at least he completed it. Last year he hit that one big one to Corey Davis. He had another the next week in London that drew a PI. Moore dropped one that was slightly over thrown his first game in Carolina.  Other than that I can’t recall too many deep shots.

It’s amazing that they haven’t taken more shots with GW as he appears to be a freak in terms of body control.