I didn't realize we came close to blowing the game on the final play

Facts

I wanted to add that it could also be that Sauce knew he would have time to catch up to him with how far the throw would have to be, but this is how close he came to catching it! Really, he should have caught it.

Too bad, so sad!

1EDFA638-6B04-42BE-B170-D67A2548B1F1.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Facts said:

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, but I do find this interesting because I didn't even realize this happened. I was too busy celebrating and jumping up and down to bother watching the replays.

Close to a Greg Williams-esque ending here.

I was scrolling through Twitter and I saw Next Gen Stats had a Jets post and it said the Bills WR on the final 4th down play had a freaking TWO AND A HALF YARD separation on Sauce.  I immediately doubted this and called horse sh*t because there is no way Sauce is getting burned by nearly 3 yards on the final play of the game, so I pull up the All-22.

And what do I see? Dog-nab-it, they're right. The Bills WR ran right past Sauce on the final play, but with Allen having to throw it so far (70 yards), that gave Sauce some time to catch up to him and close the gap to half a yard.

Woofta! That was a close one. 

Sometimes its better to be lucky! We've had our fair share of bad luck! Eff it!

Allen bailed on the pocket too soon, had Diggs open for the first down.  :) 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

A little luck is okay sometimes. 

Also I have no fuggin clue what Joyner is defending there. He flips his hips to that side of the field way before it's thrown and just sits there, not sure what he's waiting for.

Similiar to the first play for the jets zach to mims.

when he threw it I was thinking out of bounds. Saw the replay and damn mims came very close to making that play.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Facts said:

I wanted to add that it could also be that Sauce knew he would have time to catch up to him with how far the throw would have to be, but this is how close he came to catching it! Really, he should have caught it.

I think it is more likely that he misjudged Allen's arm stength.  Davis was already 45 yards downfield when Allen released the ball.  I would guess he didn't think the ball would travel 70 yards in the airand he eased up slightly.   He was able to recover, but that could have been a huge play for Buffalo. 

Imagine if Allen hadn't hurt his elbow two plays earlier.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think it is more likely that he misjudged Allen's arm stength.  Davis was already 45 yards downfield when Allen released the ball.  I would guess he didn't think the ball would travel 70 yards in the airand he eased up slightly.   He was able to recover, but that could have been a huge play for Buffalo. 

This. Even Sauce admitted after the game that he was shocked Allen threw it that far. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Facts said:

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, but I do find this interesting because I didn't even realize this happened. I was too busy celebrating and jumping up and down to bother watching the replays.

Close to a Greg Williams-esque ending here.

I was scrolling through Twitter yesterday and I saw Next Gen Stats had a Jets post and it said the Bills WR on the final 4th down play had a freaking TWO AND A HALF YARD separation on Sauce.  I immediately doubted this and called horse sh*t because there is no way Sauce is getting burned by nearly 3 yards on the final play of the game, so I pull up the All-22.

And what do I see?

Dog-nab-it, they're right.

The Bills WR ran right past Sauce on the final play, but with Allen having to throw it so far (70 yards), that gave Sauce some time to catch up to him and close the gap to half a yard.

Woofta! That was a close one. 

Sometimes its better to be lucky! We've had our fair share of bad luck! Eff it!

Consider the route ran, the roll out, and the time elapsed...

I'm not revisiting the play, but i'd wager that if the ball came out on time, even if he had 2 steps on sauce, he'd have been short of the line of gain for first down with the safety there to intercept him before he got there. 

Not worth ruminating on. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I also could have been a F-15 pilot in the Air Force instead of a Field Artillery Officer in the Army had I concentrated more on math in high school and been willing to get into engineering in college.....................................

If I concentrated on math more in high school maybe I could gave counted calories rather than merely devour them. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Thats a great point I hadn't considered.

It's not exactly normal to be able to throw the ball 70 yards in-the-air. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Yes we were lucky that the other team didn’t complete a 70 yard Hail Mary on 4th and 21 ?

It almost seems like you purposefully miss the point that everyone tries to make in every post you respond to.

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

even if he had 2 steps on sauce, he'd have been short of the line of gain for first down

Huh? this happened 70 yards down field. The WR was around 45 yards downfield when the ball came out. Did you think it was 4th and 50? lol.

• Upvote 1

"Lucky" seems like a weird choice of words.

I would point out though that even if he caught it, he would have been tackled inbounds.  What was there, 22 seconds on the clock?  How long would it have taken the entire team to go 80 yards down the field?  There's a chance they couldn't have even gotten a play off, but even if they did, it would have been a spike and a field goal.

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I would point out though that even if he caught it, he would have been tackled inbounds.  What was there, 22 seconds on the clock?  How long would it have taken the entire team to go 80 yards down the field?  There's a chance they couldn't have even gotten a play off, but even if they did, it would have been a spike and a field goal.

Your and my fat ass probably couldn't run 70 yards in 22 seconds, but I'm pretty sure professional football players can lol.

My guess is they would have spiked it with around 7 seconds left.

29 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Could he have thrown it any better though? 
plus, I disagree with the premise that luck was involved 

Probably not, it is just incredible that he could make that throw with a sore arm, although in the moment, adrenaline flowing, it was probably instinct more than anything. I guess you could call it a bit of luck that Davis did not make the catch, but Sauce had something to do with that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, raffyD said:

Allen bailed on the pocket too soon, had Diggs open for the first down.  :) 

Clock was running out with no timeouts.  They had to chuck it all the way down into FG range on that pass pretty much.  As it was, it would have been interesting to see if they could have gotten down there and into formation and snapped it in time for the spike or FG attempt.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  That is what I was thinking.  He released Diggs early and then ran him down.  I think they call that zone.  Hardly seems fair.  

Definitely a mistake on his end and I think in a postgame he mentioned he expected an out or different short-route. If I had to guess it's either a product of self-scouting tendencies by the Bills and/or seeing how the Jets handle responsibilities for certain looks. Either way, pretty clearly Sauce sat down expecting something else.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Probably not, it is just incredible that he could make that throw with a sore arm, although in the moment, adrenaline flowing, it was probably instinct more than anything. I guess you could call it a bit of luck that Davis did not make the catch, but Sauce had something to do with that.

You could argue he hurt it more throwing that pass….

• Upvote 1